Do longtime players get free items too? (Wizard Hat; Merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

Since Wizard’ kitten is censored, it means it is actually a bad thing to have. I don’t want it :P

BTW wasn’t this hat obtainable during Halloween? (After playing Mad King Says). But maybe that’s another one.
Well I think they should add it to the gem store (if it’s not already there), but… are you seriously gonna complain for a uselessanduglyandwasteofstoragespace hat?

People must love to complain for the sake of complaining.

(edited by Kethryes.5712)

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

are you seriously gonna complain for a uselessanduglyandwasteofstoragespace hat?

People must love to complain for the sake of complaining.

Please don’t come trolling, especially if you didn’t read the entire post.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

Posted by: Stonesolid.2706

Stonesolid.2706

This is for new accounts.

Don’t forget, those who purchased previously had other opportunities: Beta access, Head-start access, digital items, the post-trial offer, event participation, etc. With each promotion there are different incentives.

I’m usually not one to complain but I think it’s important to note that this is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen from a company. I’m actually in disbelief. I don’t care much for novelty items but this is a total slap in the face to anyone who does (and has been supporting the game since launch).

Basically you’re rewarding people who have never played for buying the game and punishing those who have been helping you out all along. Also I love how you think paying to test the game for your company is somehow a perk to the consumer.

I really love(d) this game but the support is totally killing it.. and things like this only serve to add more nails to the coffin.

Come on people, this is nothing new, pretty much all companies do this and have for a very long time. My local cable company offers HBO free for 6 months to “new subscribers”. The local phone company has offered free caller ID for “new customers”. My ISP has offered free MP3 players to “new subscribers”. Nothing new, nothing wrong with it at all. Have none of you seen offers where you buy a new video card and get a free game? Try this, go to google, and do a search on the phrase “offers for new customers only”.
Of all the many things about the game to complain about, this is not one of them.

Okay so let’s go over a few things here. Your local cable offers free HBO for new customers, yet if you called and asked for an HBO trial I’d bet they wouldn’t turn you down.. same with caller ID. The MP3 offer costs the company money (or rather they got a ton of MP3 players for a promotional deal and now they have to get rid of them without selling them).

Tell me.. what does Anet stand to gain by NOT giving the item to existing customers? What could they lose if they did compared to if they don’t?

I say give the novelty items to your customer base who has been supporting you since the start, and if you need an incentive for new accounts offer booster packs or something for a limited time that would actually give the new player a kick-start to their game.

edit: And for the record I don’t care about the hat. I only play for Dub vee Dub. It just seems like such a huge slap in the face for anyone who actually does care and I thought it warranted feedback.

Stonesolid – Sylvari Mesmer
Member of Unlimited [ULTD]
Fort Aspenwood’s Force of Chaos

(edited by Stonesolid.2706)

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Welcome to the reality of being a second class customer behind the infinite (only in a.net’s minds) profits of potential customers.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

People are really this mad over worthless town cloths, I could see if it was like a back slot that looked cool but not this.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

really people? It’s a pointless hat….

Not like it will make you Gandalf all of a sudden and start killing everything in sight.

What about all the other exclusive stuff you got that people who are new wont get? You’re not entitled to a promo item that holds zero value.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Korgan Dunblane.4907

Korgan Dunblane.4907

Wow, didnt expect a debate about ISP’s XD
I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed to hear its for newbies only.
A free hat in the mail would be a little touch of awsome from ANet, like a
“thanks for all the dedication, here is a free thingamabob to make you squee”
Still, its just a hat I guess, and as I have had the DDE since beta I’ll not stop playing because of a hat issue.
I would like to remind peeps tho about SW Galaxys, change the status quo as you go, and so does your playerbase.

Posted by: Scorpion.3691

Scorpion.3691

Here we go again…all the people who think they are “special” and should be entitled to every little “new” thing that comes out just because they are a current "loyal"customer …so that means new people are 2nd class and can’t be “loyal” also? I remember when loyal meant sticking with something through thick and thin without complaining about it…

Posted by: Shazirah.8350

Shazirah.8350

Don’t forget, those who purchased previously had other opportunities: Beta access, Head-start access, digital items, the post-trial offer, event participation, etc. With each promotion there are different incentives.

As someone who has been supporting GW2 from the start, buys gems, active in telling friends, follows closely on status updates & even going out of my way to vote up the outstanding support from ArenaNet and their product (such as pushing for GOTY, etc)… this is a virtual slap to the face.

It’s things like this… the little things… that really make a customer feel like they got betrayed by the company they put their faith in.
“So what it’s just a hat” or “Yeah it’s just a virtual item that you probably wont use” – well guess what? So is EVERYTHING from the Gem Store that I’ve dumped more money into than a monthly subscription would yield. Does that mean I should pull my interest in virtual items?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>From the website:
For a limited time, buy Guild Wars 2 and get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition (a $20 value), which includes a host of in-game items along with the exclusive Wizards Hat.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It’s called DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION – If its a different promotion then call it something else. I purchased DIGITAL DELUXE and it should include what comes with the DIGITAL DELUXE edition. Because my Digital Deluxe did not come with the Wizard kitten

Flip that coin around and give the hat to the customers as a bonus for being a member of the Digital Deluxe Edition and you will get praised and may even encourage customers to upgrade.
However get stingy on those there from the start and these little things WILL eventually add up, because who really knows what the next Digital Deluxe Edition will include?

Whatever it is, this is the first step in the wrong direction from ArenaNet – no matter how petty it may seem, it always starts small… and gets bigger… I never pegged them as a company to do this kind of stuff, but as a consumer… it’s my guard coming up for a company I trusted.

Agree completely.

(Maestro at) Not Another Gaming Acronym [NAGA]:
Resident Keg Brawl Premier League Champions
… with some WvW breaks here and there.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I remember when loyal meant sticking with something through thick and thin without complaining about it…

The word you’re looking for is exploitation.

Traditionally, loyalty has always been something that is earned, not given. In most cases it is also something that has to be maintained, not just earned the one time and then retained forever.

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

If they plan on having the hat on sale in the gemstore I could understand but to make it exclusive and not have another way of obtaining the item is unfair. I bought the CE from the first moment I could, now if they started selling the Rytlock statue on it’s own and at a lower price I would be very pissed off too. Just because it is not a physical item does not make it any less of a snub to the players who bought the DD from the start.

Perhaps the right way to offer incentives to new players is to offer store items for free, not make them exclusive, who could argue with that? The items are there to buy for current players and it is not an item of monetary value that makes current players left out.

Another bad business decision on the part of Anet, I fear how populated this game will be in a years time.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

I have to agree that a smarter move would be making the hat available for a price to existing customers. Making an item impossible to obtain for current players is a questionable move – using events they got to participate in and such as an excuse is silly, too. It’s understandable when newer players are locked out of content that expired before they came in – I mean, they weren’t around at the time, they couldn’t have participated in the first place. But when you are around at the time of the release of content (even if it’s just a silly hat) and you are just outright denied any means to obtain it without having done anything wrong, it is a virtual slap to the face.

Put the hat in the gem store for a price. There’s still incentive to buy now – free 2000 gem upgrade and free x gem hat – and you don’t block out the players who already bought the game.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Guys, you are fools, this is the Witch Hat that was given for free during Halloween.

No reason to complain.

(edited by Keiran.1896)

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Guys, you are fools, this is the Witch Hat that was given for free during Halloween.

No reason to complain.

Interesting, if so. Can you point to any official confirmation of this, or screenshots or whatever?

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

No reason to complain.

Interesting, if so. Can you point to any official confirmation of this, or screenshots or whatever?

Well, Witch Hat, Wizard Hat, just think like a developper.

EDIT: Said nothing. Not the sames.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/29260/gw108.jpg

Thought the Wizard Hat seems crap, while we have a real sorcerer one.

(edited by Keiran.1896)

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Tell me.. what does Anet stand to gain by NOT giving the item to existing customers? What could they lose if they did compared to if they don’t?

That’s very simple, if they gave it to everyone, it would no longer be an exclusive item that they could use to entice new players to join. Exclusive, by defination means “excluding or intending to exclude many from participation” so giving it to all or making it available to all means it would no longer be an exclusive item.
The game is filled with exclusive items, the Mad Kings book from the halloween event, the karka chest, baseball cap, etc. GW1 had the same things, they had hats that where exclusive to different events and only the players who attended those events got one.

They are trying to get new players. Would you prefer they stop trying to sell copies of the game, so as players leave, the game dies a slow death? Companies have sales and promotions, it’s a fact of life. In a few months, you will probobly be able to pick up the game for $10.00, should they then refund the differance to all the players who payed more?

This same thing happened in GW1. They had promotions for different parts of the world giving different mini pets and weapon skins.

Q: “How come the only way I can get this exclusive pet/skin is to subscribe to this magazine?”

A: Because that is what “exclusive” means, it’s “exclusive” to players who subscribe to the magazine.

Posted by: Master Stumpy.4263

Master Stumpy.4263

As someone who has been supporting GW2 from the start, buys gems, active in telling friends, follows closely on status updates & even going out of my way to vote up the outstanding support from ArenaNet and their product (such as pushing for GOTY, etc)… this is a virtual slap to the face.

It’s things like this… the little things… that really make a customer feel like they got betrayed by the company they put their faith in.
“So what it’s just a hat” or “Yeah it’s just a virtual item that you probably wont use” – well guess what? So is EVERYTHING from the Gem Store that I’ve dumped more money into than a monthly subscription would yield. Does that mean I should pull my interest in virtual items?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>From the website:
For a limited time, buy Guild Wars 2 and get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition (a $20 value), which includes a host of in-game items along with the exclusive Wizards Hat.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It’s called DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION – If its a different promotion then call it something else. I purchased DIGITAL DELUXE and it should include what comes with the DIGITAL DELUXE edition. Because my Digital Deluxe did not come with the Wizard kitten

Flip that coin around and give the hat to the customers as a bonus for being a member of the Digital Deluxe Edition and you will get praised and may even encourage customers to upgrade.
However get stingy on those there from the start and these little things WILL eventually add up, because who really knows what the next Digital Deluxe Edition will include?

Whatever it is, this is the first step in the wrong direction from ArenaNet – no matter how petty it may seem, it always starts small… and gets bigger… I never pegged them as a company to do this kind of stuff, but as a consumer… it’s my guard coming up for a company I trusted.

It’s not a step in the wrong direction. You appear to be taking this very hard for a promotional offer that adds nothing of value short of an appearance change. I almost thought you were being satirical by using the “slap in the face” cliche.

I bought the game during the free trial weekend, if I would have waited 20 or so days I could have purchased this as well. Am I upset? Am I saying that the one-time Lost Shores event should be re-done, for people who didn’t understand what was going on because they had just got the game for the trial?

No.

I am happy with the money I paid for this game, and think highly of Arena Net for their never subscription based policy regarding guild wars. If they want to offer a special item to entice more people to become a part of this community, I don’t have a problem with that.

I cant speak to the plans for Guild Wars 2, but the people who got in early in Guild Wars 1 had continuing benefits. They received their character birthday gifts sooner than anyone, meaning they could demand higher prices if they received a rare miniature, as the miniature was even more rare because they were the first to get the potential to acquire the items.

What this boils down to is an entitlement issue. If I buy a 2011 model car, and then the 2012 models come out and the 2012 model has a feature that the 2011 model did not have, do I go to the dealership complaining about it? Do I write an angry letter to the automobile manufacturer demanding my 2011 model be updated with this new feature?

No.

I don’t know why there is an entitlement issue that has deep roots in MMO communities. Perhaps it is because of the ongoing nature of the game, perhaps people feel like they are an invaluable asset to the games community because they paid some money once upon a time. I have some news for those people, you aren’t entitled to anything.

You don’t pay a monthly fee, and you buy gems because they benefit you, pretending that you buy gems to support the company making the game is a nice sentiment, but the truth is you benefit from those gems. You aren’t buying them out of the kindness of your heart.

Look, you’re entitled to your opinion, and I can respect that you have one, but I’m also entitled to mine, and from my point of view I have no problem with this offer. As a matter of fact, they could give out something awesome like flaming pirate flags. I’d still be alright with it, sad I missed out, but because I’m sad, doesn’t make them wrong.

Posted by: Moderator.3204

Moderator.3204

Hello,

we have merged several threads regarding the wizard hat into one thread to keep the forum clean and organized. Thanks for reading!

Sinsko.9342

Q: “How come the only way I can get this exclusive pet/skin is to subscribe to this magazine?”

A: Because that is what “exclusive” means, it’s “exclusive” to players who subscribe to the magazine.

Q: “How come the only way I can get this exclusive pet/skin is to buy the digital deluxe edition?”

A: Well you already have the Digital Deluxe Edition so you are not entitled.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

Sinsko.9342

When you step back and you analyze it from ALL ANGLES there’s a right way to do this, and a wrong way to do it… That’s all.

They can run their business however they like, but clearly there are plenty of customers who support ArenaNet to take time out of their day to come here and post their concerns about how they’re running this promotion – and again, those are the people that are ALREADY customers.

So what is better for ANY business? To keep an existing customer (who is buying gems, and obviously into the frivolous digital merch because they got the DDE in the first place), or to get a new customer?

If the promo was for something other than the DDE, then it would be ok… but it’s not. There’s right and there’s wrong. ArenaNet can handle this however they choose, but just cause they have that right doesn’t make it right.

Master Stumpy.4263

When you step back and you analyze it from ALL ANGLES there’s a right way to do this, and a wrong way to do it… That’s all.

They can run their business however they like, but clearly there are plenty of customers who support ArenaNet to take time out of their day to come here and post their concerns about how they’re running this promotion – and again, those are the people that are ALREADY customers.

So what is better for ANY business? To keep an existing customer (who is buying gems, and obviously into the frivolous digital merch because they got the DDE in the first place), or to get a new customer?

If the promo was for something other than the DDE, then it would be ok… but it’s not. There’s right and there’s wrong. ArenaNet can handle this however they choose, but just cause they have that right doesn’t make it right.

And just because you think it’s wrong doesn’t make it wrong.

Also, you’d be surprised to learn that in most cases it is actually to a company’s benefit to gain new market share instead of spending money to keep customers. Some people will never be satisfied, and scrambling to appease those people is a far greater task than reaching out to new customers.

Master Stumpy.4263

Q: “How come the only way I can get this exclusive pet/skin is to buy the digital deluxe edition?”

A: Well you already have the Digital Deluxe Edition so you are not entitled.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

You have an older DDE. The DDE being offered now is different.

neon.4863

The issue with the car comparison is that, if you want, you can get yourself a new car without your old car going to waste. In this particular case players who already have the game have no means whatsoever of getting the hat unless they both purchase the game again and make a whole new account (while losing everything that’s bound in the current account). With cars, you can sell your old one to make up for part of the cost of a new one, and you don’t lose any of the things you used your old car for.

Making the new DDE available as an upgrade to existing customers would make the car comparison stick – when you trade in your old car for a new one, you spend money too. Keep existing and new players happy. One doesn’t have to exclude the other.

Sinsko.9342

And just because you think it’s wrong doesn’t make it wrong.

Also, you’d be surprised to learn that in most cases it is actually to a company’s benefit to gain new market share instead of spending money to keep customers. Some people will never be satisfied, and scrambling to appease those people is a far greater task than reaching out to new customers.

Because giving a VIRTUAL item to those existing customers who already purchased the DDE is going to set back ArenaNet so much financially.

Sinsko.9342

You have an older DDE. The DDE being offered now is different.

So do you have any information on the details of the different versions of the DDE?

neon.4863

re: setting ANet back financially

No, but it is going to make their current offer seem less appealing. Adding an exclusive free item to the offer does give people a sense of “I’ll miss out if I don’t buy this now” – so people buy it sooner rather than later.

(There is a potential problem here – if this becomes a trend for future offers, it may turn people off from buying the game now just in case something that looks cooler comes up later – so they may choose to wait for the next promotion instead. Though this problem is largely mitigated by the fact people are usually in a hurry to buy/play.)

Making the hat available to current DDE owners as a gem store item would keep the offer appealing – because that means you’ll only get the hat for free if you buy the game now – while not shutting off current owners from getting the hat altogether.

(Though to be honest I doubt I’d ever use the hat, I think it looks pretty unappealing – I just like owning limited edition type things. This isn’t a dealbreaker for me, one way or the other, but I still think it’s a somewhat poorly handled business decision.)

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Ok, that ends with my cosmetic items collection and leaves me only with the minipet collection. Less stuff to buy from GW2 cash store, more cash to spend in other games. Even though I dont think this is a smart decision from Anet/NCsoft (and it is not the 1st), thanks for answering. That ends the subject for me.

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Look at all the greedy people, never ceases to amaze me.

At that, over a damn wizard hat.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

This makes no sense. There are people who like to collect this kind of stuff, that’s why they started early, that’s why they spend gems on costumes and town clothes which are limited to specific events, that’s why they attend to event finales. Now you are restricting access to a collectible item to those who are probably most interested in it.

If someone is going to buy the game this winter is probably more excited for getting the Deluxe upgrade for free than getting one exclusive hat.

Normally it would be to give the hat to all current customers too and restrict it just for those who will buy the game after the promotion is over. But at least make it available in the gem store for 200 gems until the promotion is over. This way the new customers will get their free hat, old customers have a way to get it and the item will still be exclsive since it wont be available at all after the promotion ends.

Posted by: Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

I read the title “Wizard Porno”. And then I clicked on the topic anyway. Uh.

So.

Yeah.

Nice looking hat. I sure hope there’s some way to get it for people who already have the game.

The hat looks like the Halloween hat. I wonder if you can a different costume when you put it on, that is different from the Halloween event’s orange and black wear?

Any new players can confirm this?

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

Here’s the thing:

1) Exclusivity argument: This goes in favor of the “old” customers, believe it or not. We all purchased the DDE or Collector’s under this “exclusivity” concept; now, not only are the exclusive items we paid for being offered free, but new “exclusive” items are being offered as well, EXCLUDING the original “exclusive” market. This is actually backwards to how exclusivity works; as someone stated earlier, it’s an incentive to buy sooner rather than later, or you will miss out. What Anet is doing is encouraging people to buy later rather than sooner, or they will get ripped off AND miss out. This is part of what makes it a bad business decision. Awarding the hat retroactively to players who purchased DDE and CE costs them nothing, keeps old players happy, and maintains the exclusivity moving forward; if this is a one-time offer, it’s STILL exclusive to people who don’t buy now, while not excluding those who already payed for exclusivity AND jumped on the bandwagon early and have been supporting the game. Common sense, guys.

2) Whatever you want to call the argument that you have all been relating to real-world businesses. The difference between promotional offers involving material goods, and promotional offers involving digital goods, is that material goods have production and distribution costs. It makes no business sense to distribute promotional material goods to long-term customers, because it would cost the company more money than it would make. The hats, on the other hand, cost nothing to “produce” or “distribute”, and it’s far more cost effective to satisfy your existing customers while also appealing to new customers than to try and rake in more customers than you lose. Again, the promotion loses no effectiveness by this implementation; those who purchase the DDE now STILL get it $20 cheaper than those who bought early, those who purchased early don’t get screwed out of the full package, and those who do not purchase the DDE during the promotion miss out on the hat. This is why FORWARD-MOVING exclusivity functions, whereas BACKWARD-MOVING exclusivity just loses customer loyalty. The longer you are with us, the less cool stuff you get? Way to encourage me to get in on the promotional offers of other games and providers so I can feel like a cool kid, rather than remaining loyal so I can miss out on the new stuff.

Arenanet lies.

Orion.7264

3) “You purchased early, so you got all the other cool stuff, this is for them”. Humorous that this argument runs completely contrary to your exclusivity arguments. So, new players are entitled to exclusive stuff because they missed out on our exclusive stuff? And they’re entitled to get it for free? Wasn’t that the point of us paying extra and buying early, to get that stuff? Why is it now the justification for missing out on the new stuff? If this is going to be the policy moving forward, please notify us now of all the plans you have for future implementations, so I can select the package I want, rather than getting screwed out of what I’m being led to believe I’m paying for. We payed early, we payed extra, and by that YES we ARE entitled to having cool stuff that the new people don’t get. They come late, pay less; no, they are NOT entitled to getting cool stuff that we cannot possibly obtain because we supported the company more. If that doesn’t make sense to you, I feel really bad for your math and science teachers. Again, I want to reiterate that no one loses anything by NOT punishing the original purchasers of the DDE and CE packages. There is a difference between a sense of entitlement, and a false sense of entitlement; if I buy a house, I am entitled to live in the house. If my parents buy a house, I am not entitled to live in the house. If I pay extra, and pay early, for exclusive content to a game, I am entitled to that content. I am entitled to NOT be screwed out of future content by purchasing early. I don’t know how anyone thinks that it’s acceptable practice to make items unobtainable to players simply because they actually supported the game more buy paying extra and paying sooner. To make a metaphor that actually applies to the situation (as opposed to all your fallacies involving material goods), let’s say we have a country club; the club opens, and the first people to pay for a membership get cool stuff! Have a hat, have free drinks on Saturdays, whatever. Pay for the VIP membership now and you get even more cool stuff and access to the VIP room! Then a few months later, the NEW VIP package comes out, and those VIP’s get more stuff, better stuff, and stuff you can’t have because you already have the VIP package and aren’t allowed to upgrade. It also costs less. Does anyone fail to see how punishing the customers who purchase early and pay more is a bad business practice? Why should anyone buy the game now, when it means they’ll get screwed out of all the stuff they could get in a few months for less money? Why shouldn’t I just wait to buy until the game is completely free and comes with a full set of Ascended gear and a level 80 character? If I buy now, I won’t be ABLE to get anything the people who buy LATER will get.

This is the issue, for those of you who seem challenged: It’s not that there’s a promotion and players who come now are getting cool stuff. It’s not even that the DDE costs less now than it did originally. It’s that the cool stuff is UNOBTAINABLE to those of us who have played since the beginning and paid more, SIMPLY BECAUSE we have played since the beginning and paid more. When you exclude customers for being loyal and investing more, IT’S A BAD IDEA.

One of many bad ideas implemented by Anet recently.

Arenanet lies.

(edited by Orion.7264)

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

No reason to complain.

Well, Witch Hat, Wizard Hat, just think like a developper.

EDIT: Said nothing. Not the sames.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/29260/gw108.jpg

Thought the Wizard Hat seems crap, while we have a real sorcerer one.

This is what I figured after seeing the hat’s silouette. Thank you for confirming.

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

I felt bad for spending $20 on the digital deluxe version when I realized I could get it with in-game gold, especially in the first couple months when gem to gold ratios were insanely low. Now, I’m just hoping Anet hands out this wizard hat to everyone., and it better not look like the witch hat either.

Errr… no one tell this guy about the screenshot link in this thread. :-P

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

To use the same analogy I used before …if you bought a burger yesterday from a fast food place and then today that same place is offering the same burger buy 1 get 1 free …does that mean you should feel entitled to a free burger today just cause you paid for 1 yesterday? Get over yourself already….its called business…don’t like it then go elsewhere. I am willing to bet it will be the same…

If im a regular costumer that spent 400 bucks in burgers in the last 3 months I believe they would happily gimme the burger.

$400??? Man, it took me three years to get to spending that amount on GW1. On boxes and digital goods. You did that in only 3 months. Good snickedy?!

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

This is a lot of fuss for a hat.

You guys played Team Fortress 2, I take it?

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

All this whining for a hat?
People calling it a slap in the face?
Amazed at the entitlement.

Truth be told like the BMP’s in GW1 this will probably come down the gemstore somewhere in the possibly distant future.
People who bought PS3’s at launch didn’t get a refund everytime there was a price drop lol. I guess Anet is takie to be such pushovers that you can harass them into anything.

The great forum duppy.

Orion.7264

All this whining for a hat?
People calling it a slap in the face?
Amazed at the entitlement.

Truth be told like the BMP’s in GW1 this will probably come down the gemstore somewhere in the possibly distant future.
People who bought PS3’s at launch didn’t get a refund everytime there was a price drop lol. I guess Anet is takie to be such pushovers that you can harass them into anything.

Yeah, it’s AMAZING how people feel entitled to what they payed for. GUYS, you are PRIVILEGED that Anet LETS YOU play their game, and whatever they give you along with that is just bonus. This isn’t about you, you’re not entitled to anything, Anet is entitled to your cash and they don’t need your grief.

Arenanet lies.

Sharkinu.8096

People are not asking for a 20$ refund and I(and I’m sure I’m not the only one) don’t even ask for a free hat. I just want to have a chance at getting it. But no, if you’re not new you can’t have it at all, even if you want to buy it separately for 150-200 gems (which is the price for a townclothing hadpiece in the store) you can’t have it. So yes, I spent gems mostly on costumes and town clothes and I’m willing to pay for that hat too, but I can’t because they wont let me. I’m not new.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

You guys need to think of it this way, you go to the grocery store and buy a box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies, you take it home and for a week you eat your Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies for breakfast. Then you run out of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies, so you return to the store to get another box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies and you notice a free toy is inside the box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. Now are you going to go up to a clerk at the store and demand that he rip open a box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies and give you a free toy because you already bought a box Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies last week and didn’t get a free toy. No you will probably buy two boxes of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. They put free crap in serial boxes to get you to buy more serial or to entice people to try their product. It’s the same way with computer games.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Orion.7264

You guys need to think of it this way, you go to the grocery store and buy a box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies, you take it home and for a week you eat your Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies for breakfast. Then you run out of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies, so you return to the store to get another box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies and you notice a free toy is inside the box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. Now are you going to go up to a clerk at the store and demand that he rip open a box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies and give you a free toy because you already bought a box Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies last week and didn’t get a free toy. No you will probably buy two boxes of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. They put free crap in serial boxes to get you to buy more serial or to entice people to try their product. It’s the same way with computer games.

Again, refer to my post above and stop making irrelevant arguments involving material goods.

Arenanet lies.

Feirlista Xv.1425

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/wizard-promo/

So, if you buy the game now you get a wizard hat. Do the people who already own the game get a wizard hat?

“NO” go to the grocery store and ask for your free toy out of a box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies see what the answer will be!

neon.4863

It’s not entitlement or greed to want the ability to obtain an item – I’m not sure what makes anyone think so? I don’t even want the item for free, I just want to not have the ability to obtain things shut off from me because I already own the game – that doesn’t even make any sense. The fact it’s just a hat is actually irrelevant to the issue in question. I’m here, I’m playing, I’ve paid and am willing to continue paying – why is content being shut off from me?

If it wasn’t a hat – if it was an exclusive event for new players – would you complain? The principle is the exact same. It’s just a hat, but it opens a precedent – what will the next exclusive promotion item I can’t get be?

Orion.7264

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/wizard-promo/

So, if you buy the game now you get a wizard hat. Do the people who already own the game get a wizard hat?

“NO” go to the grocery store and ask for your free toy out of a box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies see what the answer will be!

Since you keep making this flawed and ignorant argument that in no way applies to the situation at hand, I’ll fix it for you (free of charge! I usually charge).

You go to a grocery store that you have been supporting since it opened. You’re part of the grocery store club; let’s call the store Vons. Because you’re a Vons Club member, you get discounts and special deals!

Vons does a promotion. Now, people who become a club member get even BETTER deals and discounts! You’re already a club member, but you don’t get them because you’re already a club member. Only people who NOW become a club member get those deals. You can’t upgrade, and the only way to join the club and get the better deals is to return everything you’ve bought from the store with no refund and then rejoin.

ftfy

Arenanet lies.

Feirlista Xv.1425

A different toy in a box Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies next week

Posted by: KeikoTerada.1963

KeikoTerada.1963

Yeah, they could have put it in the gemstore, so that collectors could buy it.

Ah… But if it only comes with a new account… NOT in the gemstore for a paltry 200 gems or so (that anyone can afford using ingame gold)… and if the collectors are serious... then surely they’ll spend real money on a new account to get it! $_$

Now, I wonder who could have thought up such an excellent exploitation scheme? Hooray for tin foil!

(edited by KeikoTerada.1963)

neon.4863

No, it’s absolutely different.

Even assuming the comparison stuck (because toys in cereal boxes are physical goods):

Your metaphor specifically relies on you being done with your box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. It’s done, over with, and you can’t eat any more. Which in GW2 would mean you being done playing with your current account for whatever reason. It’s done, over with, and you can’t play it anymore. Then you’d have a reason to go and buy yourself a new account, just like you have a reason to buy yourself a new box of cereal.

In this case we still have access to our accounts – so there’s still cereal in our box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. In fact, this cereal never runs out so long as we’re willing to eat it. Also, you’ve spent some time playing around with the box. You’ve decorated it with some cardboard cutouts you handcrafted. You bought paint, glue, paper, scissors to customize your box. You spent a lot of time and effort to make this box feel like your box. But… the store won’t let you get a box with a toy unless you throw away your current box, even though you’re not done with it yet, even though you’ve invested personal time and money on this box. You’re being denied access to the box with the toy because you bought a box before, unless you’re willing to give up everything you invested in your old box. (Edit: Or rather, you can have the new box, but you can’t take the toy from the new box and put it in the old one. You can’t have the toy and the old box all in one. Because of reasons.)

It’s just a toy, but why the hell can’t you get it if you already own a box of cereal and want to buy it?

(edited by neon.4863)

Sharkinu.8096

Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies

The comparation makes no sense. I go to the store to get a new box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies anyway because I ran out of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. My Current GW2 account is not hacked, banned or anything so I don’t need a new account. Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies are consumables, GW2 account is not.

Then if I still have Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies in my old box and buy the new box just for the toy I can’t play with the toy unless I eat Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies from the new box. I can’t just get the toy from the new box and keep eating from the old box.

Also the toy would be available for purchase separately from teh Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies box, for a smaller price than buying the Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies box with the toy. But in GW2 even if you want to BUY it for your current account, you can’t.

(edited by Sharkinu.8096)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I see no problem with the item being exclusive to the current buyers. Those that bought stuff earlier still have access to exclusives that newer players won’t get – anet hats, mad king book, witch hat (which i doubt will be returning next year), horns, etc.

If there will be enough people interested in hats i bet they will eventually end up in gem shop, but i woudn’t count on it happening soon.

If it’ll go the same as in GW1 (it doesn’t have, of course – there are enough differences already) there will be other incentives for old players on the way – birthday presents, for example – to make buying earlier rather than later more appealing.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Feirlista Xv.1425

Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies

The comparation makes no sense. I go to the store to get a new box of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies anyway because I ran out of Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies. My Current GW2 account is not hacked, banned or anything so I don’t need a new account. Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies are consumables, GW2 account is not.

Then if I still have Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies in my old box and buy the new box just for the toy I can’t play with the toy unless I eat Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies from the new box. I can’t just get the toy from the new box and keep eating from the old box.

Also the toy would be available for purchase separately from teh Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies box, for a smaller price than buying the Toasty Oaty Winky Dinkies box with the toy. But in GW2 even if you want to BUY it for your current account, you can’t.

It’s just an example of how companies entice people to buy there product. If Anet Wants to give something away free in the game to new players to entice them to buy the game I’m not going to cry and say “I want the free stuff to I bought the game to” it doesn’t work that way. Sorry if you feel cheated its how the retail industry works. Companies do this all the time they give incentives to attract new customers.