Do longtime players get free items too? (Wizard Hat; Merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Would you be happy if Anet took away all of your exclusive items that new players couldn’t get, and give you the Wizard Hat instead? It would be fair then right?

No, I can already do that. That’s called buying a new account. I don’t want a wizard hat on a new account I just want a way to acquire it on my current account. Just put it on store for 200 gems and remove it after Jan 7th. New players will get it for free. I can get it for 200 gems and the items still is exclusive by being limited just for those who bought the game before Jan 7th.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Would you be happy if Anet took away all of your exclusive items that new players couldn’t get, and give you the Wizard Hat instead? It would be fair then right?

No, I can already do that. That’s called buying a new account. I don’t want a wizard hat on a new account I just want a way to acquire it on my current account. Just put it on store for 200 gems and remove it after Jan 7th. New players will get it for free. I can get it for 200 gems and the items still is exclusive by being limited just for those who bought the game before Jan 7th.

Ah okay. Just checking then. So it’s completely okay for you to have exclusive items that new players cannot get, but it is not okay for them to have an exclusive item that you can’t get? Alright, gotcha. Just wanted to make sure it was for selfish reasons, and not an actual good reason.

It’s called a promotion. If they made the Wizard Hat available to all players, then what is the incentive for new players to even buy the game? You give them something exclusive that will make them unique and feel special cause current players don’t have it. If you gave it to everyone, then what is the point of having it in the first place? Or even offering it as an incentive in a new purchase? It would be pointless if everyone could just buy it for gems.

Thus why it is a promotion for new players. But it seems people are selfish and can’t stand the fact that someone will have something they can’t have. But they are perfectly okay with having something that new players can’t have, but god forbid that new players have something they can’t have.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

I’m here right now, I’m playing the game, I have clean account, not hacked, not banned. I have time to play and can get gems too. I want the hat. What makes me “not able to attend”?

There is a difference in having the option to atttend to an event, but not being able to attend and being able to attend, but locked out of that event completely.

But you aren’t locked out completely. You have the same opportunity as every other person to get the wizard’s hat…buy a copy of the game during the promo period.

If you buy a product at a store and they offer that very same product 4 months later at a cheaper price and with a promotional item to entice folks to buy it, you are not entitled to the cheaper price and promo item. And this is just like with any other promotion or sale. Buying a the game 4 months ago does not entitle you to receiving any promotional/sale items that ArenaNet offers for their sales now.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Sharkinu.8096

Ah okay. Just checking then. So it’s completely okay for you to have exclusive items that new players cannot get, but it is not okay for them to have an exclusive item that you can’t get? Alright, gotcha. Just wanted to make sure it was for selfish reasons, and not an actual good reason.

That’s what you get for buying the game early. Nothing stops the new players from buying the game early. Selfish would be to ask them not to give the Deluxe Edition Upgrade for free to new players. Selfish would be to ask them to give me the hat for free. I don’t want free stuff. Just a way to acquire the hat.

It’s called a promotion. If they made the Wizard Hat available to all players, then what is the incentive for new players to even buy the game? You give them something exclusive that will make them unique and feel special cause current players don’t have it. If you gave it to everyone, then what is the point of having it in the first place? Or even offering it as an incentive in a new purchase? It would be pointless if everyone could just buy it for gems.

People who will buy the game after Jan 7th wont have the hat. It will be exclusive just for people who bought it before Jan 7th. “What’s the point in getting the Baseball Cap if anyone in the game could get it for free in the first week?” well people who joined the game after the first week don’t have the baseball cap. It’s the same thing.

What incentive they have to buy it now? Well, they get a free upgrade to deluxe edition and a hat which wont be available after Jan 7th.

Thus why it is a promotion for new players. But it seems people are selfish and can’t stand the fact that someone will have something they can’t have. But they are perfectly okay with having something that new players can’t have, but god forbid that new players have something they can’t have.

I joined GW1 in 2008. I missed the 2005,2006,2007 wintersday hats, the 2005,2006,2007 halloween hats, the 2008 Kamadan halloween hat(I bought nightfall in 2009), the tengu hat, and 2006,2007,2008 Dragon festival hats(bought factions in august 2008 after dragon festival). All those hats old players got before I bought the game, do I deserve them as a new player? No, because I wasn’t there. That’s what they get for buying the game before me.

But you aren’t locked out completely. You have the same opportunity as every other person to get the wizard’s hat…buy a copy of the game during the promo period.

If I buy the game on a new account I’m basically a new player. I dont need multiple accounts. If I want to make a collection of hats I don’t want them spread over a dozen of accounts.

If you buy a product at a store and they offer that very same product 4 months later at a cheaper price and with a promotional item to entice folks to buy it, you are not entitled to the cheaper price and promo item. And this is just like with any other promotion or sale. Buying a the game 4 months ago does not entitle you to receiving any promotional/sale items that ArenaNet offers for their sales now.

The promotional item would be sold separately. So I could buy just the promotional item. Again, I don’t ask for a free hat, being able to buy it is just enough.

(edited by Sharkinu.8096)

SpyderArachnid.5619

That’s what you get for buying the game early. Nothing stops the new players from buying the game early. Selfish would be to ask them not to give the Deluxe Edition Upgrade for free to new players. Selfish would be to ask them to give me the hat for free. I don’t want free stuff. Just a way to acquire the hat.

People who will buy the game after Jan 7th wont have the hat. It will be exclusive just for people who bought it before Jan 7th. “What’s the point in getting the Baseball Cap if anyone in the game could get it for free in the first week?” well people who joined the game after the first week don’t have the baseball cap. It’s the same thing.

What incentive they have to buy it now? Well, they get a free upgrade to deluxe edition and a hat which wont be available after Jan 7th.

I joined GW1 in 2008. I missed the 2005,2006,2007 wintersday hats, the 2005,2006,2007 halloween hats, the 2008 Kamadan halloween hat(I bought nightfall in 2009), the tengu hat, and 2006,2007,2008 Dragon festival hats(bought factions in august 2008 after dragon festival). All those hats old players got before I bought the game, do I deserve them as a new player? No, because I wasn’t there. That’s what they get for buying the game before me.

And this is what new players get for buying the game now. So exactly what is the difference? You got exclusive items for buying the game when you bought it. So why can’t they have exclusive items for buying the game now?

Yes, it is called being selfish. You got your exclusive items because you bought the game when you did. Now they are getting an exclusive item for buying the game now, and you want it too. You don’t think they should get your exclusive items, cause those were your reward for purchasing the game early. But you think you should get their exclusive items anyways. That is the very definition of selfish. You want what they have, but you don’t want them to have what you have.

Posted by: Manfredthestrong.7518

Manfredthestrong.7518

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/wizard-promo/

So, if you buy the game now you get a wizard hat. Do the people who already own the game get a wizard hat?

You must not be familiar with contracts…..

Sharkinu.8096

And this is what new players get for buying the game now. So exactly what is the difference? You got exclusive items for buying the game when you bought it. So why can’t they have exclusive items for buying the game now?

Yes, it is called being selfish. You got your exclusive items because you bought the game when you did. Now they are getting an exclusive item for buying the game now, and you want it too. You don’t think they should get your exclusive items, cause those were your reward for purchasing the game early. But you think you should get their exclusive items anyways. That is the very definition of selfish. You want what they have, but you don’t want them to have what you have.

The difference?
If an item is exclusive to new players then old players are left out.
If an item is exclusive to current players(which is the case for most promotions) nobody is left out. New players are not left out because they aren’t even here.

I would be selfish if I’d ask to be able to get all items released before or after I bought the game no matter what and any new guy after me should not get anything. I neved demanded to have acces to items released before I joined the game.

Posted by: Zorada.9457

Zorada.9457

The difference?
If an item is exclusive to current players(which is the case for most promotions) nobody is left out. New players are not left out because they aren’t even here.

I would be selfish if I’d ask to be able to get all items released before or after I bought the game no matter what and any new guy after me should not get anything. I neved demanded to have acces to items released before I joined the game.

No there is no difference cause it just may be that a person wanted to get the game early but was unable due to unforseen curcumstance but that means they loose out. You cant have it one way and not another so if you get the wiz hat then all should be able to get all previous content in order to make it fair for ALL. Of course thats not what people want really they want it fair to suit their own selves not all.

the point is people want something that is not aimed at them and they dont like it, just because they started playing a few weeks before others seems to give them a right to everything that game has to offer forever. We saw the same rubbish on the wow forums for years, i want this i want that the problem is it never stops. Exclusive means that so either they make nothing in game exlusie and that means launch stuff or you live with the fact that other exclusive content is going to be released after a time. You cannot have it both ways

SpyderArachnid.5619

The difference?

There still is no difference.

New players will never get the exclusive items that old players have. If a new player wants that ball cap, they can’t have it. If they want the Devil Horns or Witch Hat, they can’t have it. All the exclusive items that old players have, new players will never be able to get no matter how much they want it.

So now new players are finally getting an exclusive for themselves, and all you can do is complain that you can’t have it. You already have all your exclusive rewards for purchasing the game when you did. Now they are getting their exclusive reward for purchasing the game now.

Again, it is an incentive to promote new players to buy the game. If it was available to everyone, then it wouldn’t be much of an incentive. You just have to live with the fact that they are getting an exclusive reward for purchasing the game now. Just like you have exclusive rewards for purchasing the game when you did. There is nothing unfair about it.

Sharkinu.8096

No there is no difference cause it just may be that a person wanted to get the game early but was unable due to unforseen curcumstance but that means they loose out.

There is a difference in “not being able to” and “not being allowed to”. The former is fine, the person is allowed to get the game(no one will stop them), is not able due to finacial/weather/internet/whatever problems. The latter is not ok. We are able to give them money for the hat, but we are not allowed because we are already customers. Makes no sense.

Posted by: Zorada.9457

Zorada.9457

I cannot get the stuff before i bought the game no matter how much i would want it, i cannot get the stuff after i bought the game no matter how i want it.
You gonna fight my cause then to allow me the privalage? no of course not you just want your thing and not worry about anyone else.

thats the point that is being stated here time and time again selfish attitudes. I got no freebies when i joined the game and missed out on events i can never do dont you worry about people like me?

Guess not

Sharkinu.8096

I cannot get the stuff before i bought the game no matter how much i would want it, i cannot get the stuff after i bought the game no matter how i want it.

In the first case no one stopped you from buying the game early. Did you came to ANet: “Hey, Anet, here is my money. I want to buy the game early to get all the shinies” and ANet goes: “No, you are not allowed to get the game early. You will get it later and miss all the shinies.” Did that happened? No. You were allowed, to get it, just not able.
In the 2nd case you are able to get the shinies. You have a clean account, no hacks no bans, and you are still playing. But you can’t get the shinies because they wont let you. Not on this account.

You gonna fight my cause then to allow me the privalage? no of course not you just want your thing and not worry about anyone else.

In 2008 I was plagin GW2. In October 2008 I missed the Lupine Mask on Halloween because I bought Nightfall in February 2009. Do I fight to allow myself to get the Lupine Mask? No. No one stopped me from getting Nightfall before October 2008. I was not able to, but no one stopped me.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Yea, no HoM and now this.

…they truly love collectors.

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

The worst thing you can do to the collector types – you know, the players who actually spend money on every single promotional and seasonal item, the ones who wake up at 4 AM to not miss out on an exclusive items, the ones who will splurge on cash shop exclusives – is dangle a new item in front of their face and say “well, you can have it, if you give up the rest of your collection”.

Why should they spend money on future promotional items if there will be instances like this, when they can’t get something without giving up what they already have?

This kind of exclusive item is there specifically to appeal to collectors, because other types of players probably don’t care that much about having a complete set of skins. And that being the case, it’s the worst kind of decision – attract collectors by setting a precedent that puts off collectors.

It’s a nonsensical decision no matter how you look at it.

(Also, for the record, real world item comparisons are off because collectors of real world items are actually able to track down promotional items both in cases like this and in case they missed the original promotion. So you can’t compare one way or the other.)

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

Having seen this done in other MMO’s (and seeing what it evolves into) I feel like letting ArenaNet pull a stunt like this so early on in the game is setting the stage for the rest of the game.

Players need to stand up and make it known that we do not want to be part of a company that will rip off its current players for the sake of bringing in fresh meat.

Exclusive items are part of what makes MMO’s fun to play and makes us push through content and spend money in the gem store. Rather than offer new players content that you’re then with-holding from loyal fans, why not give them some free gems or something?

Giving out an exclusive item to players simply for deciding to pick up the game 5 months after release is a virtual slap in the face to dedicated players who made the decision to spend their own money on a DDE.

^^This x1000000000000000000000

It’s the first step and really only a matter of time before they’re giving out new accounts with near max level characters, a bunch of gold, mounts (well.. maybe not in gw2, heh), expansions, and a trove of other things…. because, let’s face it – that would stand a better chance of bringing on a new player more than just a ‘silly hat’ right?

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

Posted by: Treason.1673

Treason.1673

Lets compare this with …. WoW

You like Pets? You Want to collect every one of them?
Oh how about buying every new Blizzard product out there? Because we like to cross promote our games and give each person who Game X a new Pet. and the other way round.
Oh and did i mention Blizzcon???? You can get exclusive Items when you visit it. Nice thing for all Europeans. If you want to get it you’ll have too pay much €€€.

It boggles my mind how someone can feel entitled for every item in a game ever to be implemented.
Crosspromoting. Special Gifts for new Players … do you live under a rock or in a cave??? These things are pretty much a common thing in gaming.

Nothing new. Nothing scary.

Sharkinu.8096

Lets compare this with …. WoW

You like Pets? You Want to collect every one of them?
Oh how about buying every new Blizzard product out there? Because we like to cross promote our games and give each person who Game X a new Pet. and the other way round.
Oh and did i mention Blizzcon???? You can get exclusive Items when you visit it. Nice thing for all Europeans. If you want to get it you’ll have too pay much €€€.

It boggles my mind how someone can feel entitled for every item in a game ever to be implemented.
Crosspromoting. Special Gifts for new Players … do you live under a rock or in a cave??? These things are pretty much a common thing in gaming.

Nothing new. Nothing scary.

You can go to blizzcon if you want no one is going to kick you out. You can buy cross promoted products no one is going to stop you. Will anyone say: “hey, you, you have the money? you want this pet? too bad. is not for you. we don’t want your money”? No.

And about crosspromoting. Let’s look at Valve and their hat madness from TF2. TF2 has a lot of crossgame promotion. In 2011 during QuakeCon, Fallout New Vegas had a special price on Steam. Not only that, but if you bought Fallout New Vegas during QuakeCon 2011 you would get a Fallout themed item in TF2. Fallout NV was released almost an year before QuakeCon. A lot of people were already owning Fallout NW on Steam. Did they had to buy it again just for a TF2 item? And if they already own the game can they buy it again? Well, that wasn’t a problem because everyone who bought the game during the promotion or before the promotion got their TF2 item. This is just one example. This thing happened with every game who has a TF2 promotion. Most of the time everyone who bought it before(or during) the promotion gets the item while those who will buy it after wont get it. Sometimes the item is given to everyone who owns the game even to those who buy the game now(like the Frying Pan from Left 4 Dead 2), but they never excluded old customers from promotions.

Posted by: Ribos.8350

Ribos.8350

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Miniature_Island_Guardian

The existence of this guy must be the bane of every “gotta catch ’em all” collector in this thread.

EDIT: I should elaborate, I guess. What I mean is that a promotional item you can’t buy but is given to people who happen to be in the right place at the right time is not a new thing for ANet and that’s fine. I have a baseball cap, someone else is going to have a wizard hat. Some Taiwanese guy who wasn’t one of the first fifty people to signup has an Island Guardian in GW1.

(edited by Ribos.8350)

Sharkinu.8096

The existence of this guy must be the bane of every “gotta catch ’em all” collector in this thread.

EDIT: I should elaborate, I guess. What I mean is that a promotional item you can’t buy but is given to people who happen to be in the right place at the right time is not a new thing for ANet and that’s fine. I have a baseball cap, someone else is going to have a wizard hat. Some Taiwanese guy who wasn’t one of the first fifty people to signup has an Island Guardian in GW1.

1. That mini was tradeable.
2. They didn’t excluded current players. Sure it was low chance to win the art contests, but they never said: “sorry, you are not allowed to enter the art contest.”

Posted by: dirtyoldgoat.5496

dirtyoldgoat.5496

Mankind is often a disappointment.

Fallendruid, White Lighter, The Native Sun
PINK is the new Black
Tarnished Coast (via Tyranny)

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

1. That mini was tradeable.
2. They didn’t excluded current players. Sure it was low chance to win the art contests, but they never said: “sorry, you are not allowed to enter the art contest.”

To be fair I don’t really think that’s fine, either, and I sure hope extremely limited supply promotional items like this don’t come up again.

I do have a GW1 account, but I wasn’t much of a GW1 player (I hadn’t logged in since 2006 and did recently strictly because of HoM whoops), so I didn’t know about the existence of that mini. Thanks for the info. I would’ve been pretty miffed about my inability to get that item back then, too, ngl. But if it’s nothing new… well, I’ll probably be dropping my collector hat and getting only the items I think look cool from now on.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

So the incentive of “come play our awesome game” isn’t enough? It was for all the players who bought it so far.

The fact is ArenaNet needs new box revenue… not that they don’t care about current players, but it’s pretty clear that there are far fewer people playing the game than they had planned on, and the cash shop injection isn’t working as intended. So they need to constantly be trying to bring in fresh meat, because that’s really their only source of real revenue.

Sharkinu.8096

To be fair I don’t really think that’s fine, either, and I sure hope extremely limited supply promotional items like this don’t come up again.

I do have a GW1 account, but I wasn’t much of a GW1 player (I hadn’t logged in since 2006 and did recently strictly because of HoM whoops), so I didn’t know about the existence of that mini. Thanks for the info. I would’ve been pretty miffed about my inability to get that item back then, too, ngl. But if it’s nothing new… well, I’ll probably be dropping my collector hat and getting only the items I think look cool from now on.

Honestly I’m not a big fan of “lotteries” to get promotional items, but even so they are better than excluding current customers completely.

One example(again from Team Fortress 2) is the Golden Wrench Promotion. Basically you had a very very small chance to get a goldern wrench(100 were given) by crafting something in TF2. I never got one, but at least then didn’t stopped me from trying my luck at the Golden Wrench.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

Those who were able to make it to certain conventions also received that particular in-game item. Is that promo also a “slap in the face” to dedicated fans who spent money on the game, but could not attend those events?

I’m here right now, I’m playing the game, I have clean account, not hacked, not banned. I have time to play and can get gems too. I want the hat. What makes me “not able to attend”?

There is a difference in having the option to atttend to an event, but not being able to attend and being able to attend, but locked out of that event completely.

um, yes? are you delusional? people want to collect stuff to dress their characters up, nobody cares if it is “exclusive” except when that means you have no way of getting it at all

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

There is one thing all of you complaining about not getting the hat are forgetting.

This is Guild Wars.

Guild Wars 1 or 2, it’s still the Guild Wars franchise.

Guild Wars has ALWAYS had exclusive in game items, 7 plus years of exclusive items.
Some available only to players living in specific countries, some only available to players purchasing specific magazines, players who attended real world events, players who purchased real world items, players who purchased specific expansions at specific times, players who subscribed to specific online mailing lists, the list goes on and on, and on. This has always been a part of the Guild Wars franchise and probably always will be. To be perfectly honest, if you do not like exclusive in game items, this may not be the game for you.

I am getting so sick and tired of players who come from other games and always use the excuse “this is how they did it in such and such a game, Anet should do this also”, well guess what? this is not the other games you have played, this is GUILD WARS and in Guild Wars, there are exclusive items.

Deal With It.

Posted by: iKuroNekoXIII.3249

iKuroNekoXIII.3249

lol people are just stating their own opinions and if you are sick and tired of it dont read it then… the words are dead but you are alive you can choose what do you want to read so if you dont like what everyone here is posting… deal with it.

Words are the strongest weapon. Choose them wisely.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Wait…. you can only get mistfire wolf with Digital Deluxe?

What’s my motivation for this when there’s hounds of balthazar?

Elyl Jrend

iKuroNekoXIII.3249

they look wayy cooler =D

Posted by: lordozone.9167

lordozone.9167

hey, the game already rocks without having to get a bunch of freebies.

I just wish drop rates were better. I.e. the world dragons.

Commander Yvette Doombringer – 80 Thief
Sea of Sorrows
Event Farming Guide —> facebook.com/GW2EventZergGuide

iKuroNekoXIII.3249

mahh you would always prefer freebies than to have nothing right??? anyway when i bought the game i had no freebies at all =D

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Wait…. you can only get mistfire wolf with Digital Deluxe?

What’s my motivation for this when there’s hounds of balthazar?

The two elite skills have similar, but different effects. The Mistfire Wolf on its own has about double the health of a single Hound of Balthazar, deals more damage with its base attacks, inflicts Burning AND Chilled on each attack, and has an AoE DoT attack which also inflicts Burning/Chilled.

The Hounds have half the health of the Wolf, do not inflict Chilled, and do not have an AoE attack. However, since there’s two of them, they do inflict slightly more DPS than the Wolf, and if one gets CC’ed or killed, you still have a second one.

Basically, the Wolf is better if you’re running a build that focuses around conditions, or if you need to deal more AoE damage quickly, but the Hounds are better if you need more allies to tank.

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

More than getting my hat, which I still want, or not – I’d like to hear arena net’s stance on such promotions. Is it something we can start to see a lot of, or can we be safe to assume that these items might come to the gem store in the future?

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

Sharkinu.8096

There is one thing all of you complaining about not getting the hat are forgetting.

This is Guild Wars.

Guild Wars has ALWAYS had exclusive in game items, 7 plus years of exclusive items.
Some available only to players living in specific countries, some only available to players purchasing specific magazines, players who attended real world events, players who purchased real world items, players who purchased specific expansions at specific times, players who subscribed to specific online mailing lists, the list goes on and on, and on. This has always been a part of the Guild Wars franchise and probably always will be. To be perfectly honest, if you do not like exclusive in game items, this may not be the game for you.

I am getting so sick and tired of players who come from other games and always use the excuse “this is how they did it in such and such a game, Anet should do this also”, well guess what? this is not the other games you have played, this is GUILD WARS and in Guild Wars, there are exclusive items.

Deal With It.

I understand that there are exclusive items. I’m fine with that. There are exclusive items in lots of games. But if this is GUILD WARS, then show me one hat or mini in the original GUILD WARS which was unobtainable by ANY of the current customers. Just one hat or mini. ONE.

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

I understand that there are exclusive items. I’m fine with that. There are exclusive items in lots of games. But if this is GUILD WARS, then show me one hat or mini in the original GUILD WARS which was unobtainable by ANY of the current customers. Just one hat or mini. ONE.

Wish granted

Almost nobody in the entire game can obtain one of these.

Also, http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Miniature

Available awards depend on when the character was made. In other words, a new player (past year or so) will have to wait 7 years to get a chance at some of the miniatures, despite the fact that it is an old game, and may not even be online by then.

Sharkinu.8096

Wish granted

Available awards depend on when the character was made. In other words, a new player (past year or so) will have to wait 7 years to get a chance at some of the miniatures, despite the fact that it is an old game, and may not even be online by then.

ANY. Any=/= some. I dont hate that an item is extremely limited. Did they said that the key for the Island Guardian mini can ONLY be applied to new accounts and is not going to work on ANY of the current account? No. The mini was extremely limited, but they didn’t excluded ALL of the current customers in that promotion. Most of them, but not ALL.

The closest you can get to this kind of promotion in the original Guild Wars is the release of Game of the Year Boxm which included some bonus weapons with unique skins.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars:_Game_of_the_Year_Edition

What do old customres get? Nothing, but they have this item in the game store:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Game_of_the_Year_Upgrade

That’s exactly what I’m asking. I’m not asking for freebies, just allow me to buy the hat for my current account and I’m fine.

Posted by: Robotsonik.4935

Robotsonik.4935

Honestly, this whole argument/complaint is moot if the hat makes my character bald when I put it on. (like every other hat) It’s one of the saddest things ever Her long flowing golden locks are shorn clean off whenever a hat comes near. Also if it’s just a town clothes item, then I really don’t care. It’s just a wasted skin to begin with if that’s the case.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Wish granted

ANY. Any=/= some. I dont hate that an item is extremely limited. Did they said that the key for the Island Guardian mini can ONLY be applied to new accounts and is not going to work on ANY of the current account? No. The mini was extremely limited, but they didn’t excluded ALL of the current customers in that promotion. Most of them, but not ALL.

The closest you can get to this kind of promotion in the original Guild Wars is the release of Game of the Year Boxm which included some bonus weapons with unique skins.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars:_Game_of_the_Year_Edition

What do old customres get? Nothing, but they have this item in the game store:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Game_of_the_Year_Upgrade

That’s exactly what I’m asking. I’m not asking for freebies, just allow me to buy the hat for my current account and I’m fine.

look up the old coke items that where exclusive to Asia. Eventually, some of them became available in other ways, but there are still some skins that where never made available to anyone other then the original players who got in on that promotion. Could not be sold or traded as well, so absolutely no hope of a new player getting one. There are actually many others, but its late, and I don’t feel like feeding the trolls this early in the morning.

Posted by: Marysvillain.6231

Marysvillain.6231

ive been looking for the stats on this hat like all day… does it do anything besides look cool? If not, I could care less.

Posted by: Marysvillain.6231

Marysvillain.6231

And really, I’m not going to read 8 pages of arguements.. I understand why they do it, as many other MMO’s have.. The arguement that other exclusive items that are not available to players who buy the game now and receive the wizard hat seems invalid to me. It is not as if they did not have the opportunity to pre-order the game just like the rest of us did and obtain those items with no inconvenience to them.

I pre-ordered this game, and have a decent amount of time invested into my roster of characters. There are 2 problems/inconveniences that come with me obtaining the wizard hat being an Already-owner.

1. I have to buy what I already have.
2. Even if I wanted to spend 60dollars on a wizard hat, I could not have it where all my characters are.

you might even go as far to argue that because of #2 I would have to relevel an account to have the wizard hat. But I mean honestly, without some sort of “Inspect” feature which would allow you to see what other players wear.. what is the point?

Sharkinu.8096

look up the old coke items that where exclusive to Asia. Eventually, some of them became available in other ways, but there are still some skins that where never made available to anyone other then the original players who got in on that promotion. Could not be sold or traded as well, so absolutely no hope of a new player getting one. There are actually many others, but its late, and I don’t feel like feeding the trolls this early in the morning.

I know about the coke items.

1. Most of them share the same skin with the GOTY item.
2. Again they didn’t excluded ALL the current players. Some koreans got the coke items. Show me one GW2 player who bought the game before the wizard hat promotion who can get the hat. Is there anyone(excluding devs who probably can spawn any item)? No.

Posted by: Bastion.2457

Bastion.2457

Just adding my 2c into the mix. It would be great to get the bonuses, but at the same time, meh. I don’t play enough to lose any sleep over it.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I know about the coke items.

1. Most of them share the same skin with the GOTY item.
2. Again they didn’t excluded ALL the current players. Some koreans got the coke items. Show me one GW2 player who bought the game before the wizard hat promotion who can get the hat. Is there anyone(excluding devs who probably can spawn any item)? No.

1. Irrelevant. At the time of release, they where exclusive to Asia and not available anywhere else as there was no GOTY version at that time. If you want to argue about anything that eventually became available, we will need to wait 7 years and see if the hat eventually becomes available in GW2 as well.
2. Korea is in Asia. Current/new player is irrelevant. Exclusive is exclusive.

As I have said in another post, go to google or the search engine of your choice and do a search for “exclusive for new customers only”. This is a common marketing ploy. Nothing new as thousands of companies have been doing it for years.

Everyone is making a big deal out of nothing. If the devs follow the same course as they have in the past, the hat will be available by other means some time in the future. Then we can all enjoy all the posts from the players who are purchasing it now that it is no longer exclusive and it’s not fair. Mark my words and remember this last post, it will happen.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

It is what is happening all over society thanks to instant communication we have today. Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are entitled to have that opinion , regardless how crazy it sounds. If you tell yourself something enough you will start to believe you are right.

One person comes up with a crazy idea, others say, Hey! YA I feel dissatisfied to. Lets go protest on the forums. Then 100 pages later they finally get there way. Then the viscous cycle of mass madness continues.

It is rather sad that this topic has gained so much attention. All it does is so others that they too can get there way by QQ till it happens.

It’s a hat let it go! 100 years ago the worry of the day would be where is our next meal coming from. Now it’s about a virtual hat.

Thanks Internet!

They are. They don’t need to think so, they still are.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: kendokken.3257

kendokken.3257

haven’t you all figured it out yet?

They are trying to get rid of as many Longtime players as they can to make room for new players without spending money on upgrading their equipment.
All they want is to sell more boxes and get rid of as many old players as they can.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Just my opnion here, but if I bought the game I should get rewards for buying the game before said date.

Making it so you only get things for buying it during a certain period of time, is a real dick move when you consider they sold this game with a prepurchase option.

Sharkinu.8096

1. Irrelevant. At the time of release, they where exclusive to Asia and not available anywhere else as there was no GOTY version at that time. If you want to argue about anything that eventually became available, we will need to wait 7 years and see if the hat eventually becomes available in GW2 as well.
2. Korea is in Asia. Current/new player is irrelevant. Exclusive is exclusive.

As I have said in another post, go to google or the search engine of your choice and do a search for “exclusive for new customers only”. This is a common marketing ploy. Nothing new as thousands of companies have been doing it for years.

Everyone is making a big deal out of nothing. If the devs follow the same course as they have in the past, the hat will be available by other means some time in the future. Then we can all enjoy all the posts from the players who are purchasing it now that it is no longer exclusive and it’s not fair. Mark my words and remember this last post, it will happen.

There is one thing giving an item to a small portion of your customers and another thing ignoring all of them and just looking for fresh meat. You want to say that there was no a single korean who played guild wars and they made the coca cola promotion to make them buy the game while ignoring every current customer?

I know “exclusive for new customers” is not a new thing and it happens all the time, but not giving ANY option to old customers to get the same final product?

Also about the coke promotion. That wasn’t a new account, it was a promotional serial key which could be applied to any account. As a collector you could find a friend in korea to get a key from you, you could buy a key from ebay, you had an option to make your collection complete. The same thing with the GW2 tshirt you could find a friend to get a t-shirt key for from gamescom or you could get to gamescom. Can you do that with the wizard hat? Can you buy the hat from a friend who just bought the game and is not interested in the hat? No.

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

This is Guild Wars.

Some available only to players living in specific countries, some only available to players purchasing specific magazines, players who attended real world events, players who purchased real world items, players who purchased specific expansions at specific times, players who subscribed to specific online mailing lists, the list goes on and on, and on. This has always been a part of the Guild Wars franchise and probably always will be. To be perfectly honest, if you do not like exclusive in game items, this may not be the game for you

Guild Wars 1 announced yesterday via twitter (and probably the website) that they will be giving out all previous years Wintersday hats as part of this years Wintersday festival. That makes 7 years of “hats” available to anyone playing right now.

The purpose of these exclusive hats are to show how long a player has played a game. If I throw on my ball cap a year from now people will ask me He where’d you get that hat? Then i can brag about how I got it… that is the point of giving us the hat in the first place isn’t it? Anet is confusing that with a hat that is only available if you bought at a certain time.

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Or you know… it’s just a hat. A piece of festive town clothes that serves no purpose in the game beyond making you look cool.

You got beta access and a three day head start before the common folk. New people are getting… a nifty hat. You got the better deal. Get over it.

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

I saw this attitude a lot in WoW. Each time Blizzard’s marketing group offered deals on the game, a few current players would get in a huge huff and say “why aren’t you rewarding the people already playing the game?”

The answer is really two-fold. First, the part that several people have said already: it’s an incentive to get more people into the game. It’s there to help make the game you already play more popular and therefore better. Hating on promos only hurts yourself. New blood is necessary to keep the game going and make it better.

Second, and more importantly: you already have a bonus. You’ve gotten to play the game for nearly 4 months. You’ve had early access to all the best stuff, had access to low TP prices and gem prices, gotten to see exclusive events… Your reward is: the game. You’ve probably put hundreds of hours into the game that anyone else starting now can never match. That is your reward. If someone could trade a crappy hat for 4 months of game time, they’d do it. But since they can’t, they get a crappy hat.

The entire attitude comes from an incredibly self-focused perspective that has to try pretty hard to ignore all the wonderful benefits that they personally receive thanks to promos like this, and focuses only on a made-up perception of unfairness that couldn’t possibly be further from the truth.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Only thing even remotely worthwhile in the DD pack is the elite, and it’s still pretty underwhelming. Who cares about a hat that is probably town-clothes only and will likely do what most headgear does and replace your hair so your toon looks like a cancer patient.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]