Do longtime players get free items too? (Wizard Hat; Merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Companies that are constantly marketing their product towards new players only end up hurting themselves. This is akin to standing in line and having someone who just came in get preferential treatment by letting them cut in all the way in front. A company that does this only ends up losing customers as they are not treating them with respect.

It isn’t said for no reason that it’s easier to get new customers as it is keeping them. Loyal customers should always get the nod over new ones as they are the ones that pay the bills in the end.

For the record I do not count the special events under this as they are mostly there for them to make extra money.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Companies that are constantly marketing their product towards new players only end up hurting themselves. This is akin to standing in line and having someone who just came in get preferential treatment by letting them cut in all the way in front. A company that does this only ends up losing customers as they are not treating them with respect.

It isn’t said for no reason that it’s easier to get new customers as it is keeping them. Loyal customers should always get the nod over new ones as they are the ones that pay the bills in the end.

As someone who purchased the DD before the games release, you were given exclusive beta access and a 3 day head start before anybody else.

Anet effectively let you cut in line.

New users are being offered a spiffy piece of town clothing, that has no bearing on the game beyond your appearance. It’s entirely cosmetic.

You got the better deal as a loyal and long time customer. If you’re a GW1 player, you got even more perks. Your argument is invalid.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

As someone who purchased the DD before the games release, you were given exclusive beta access and a 3 day head start before anybody else.

New users are being offered a spiffy piece of town clothing, that has no bearing on the game beyond your appearance. It’s entirely cosmetic.

You got the better deal as a loyal and long time customer. If you’re a GW1 player, you got even more perks. Your argument is invalid.

The argument isn’t invalid. You may argue that Anet doesn’t prioritize new players over old, but that doesn’t make the argument that it’s bad to do so invalid.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

CETheLucid.3964

The argument isn’t invalid. You may argue that Anet doesn’t prioritize new players over old, but that doesn’t make the argument that it’s bad to do so invalid.

Based on the context and the given assumption by the poster that Anet is shafting old players in favor of new ones, this line of reasoning is invalid given the fact that this isn’t what is happening.

In the context of an argument, this is invalid. It’s not true. It’s not sound. Savvy? If I used that word wrong, you’ll have to pardon my english.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Based on the context and the given assumption by the poster that Anet is shafting old players in favor of new ones, this line of reasoning is invalid given the fact that this isn’t what is happening.

In the context of an argument, this is invalid. It’s not true. It’s not sound. Savvy? If I used that word wrong, you’ll have to pardon my english.

Fair point. Sorry, precise wording is important in my job, sometimes it creeps into other areas.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Yes, early bird gets the worm. As a preorder player we got access to beta and other stuff. It was our choice to buy the game early and we got rewarded for that. No one was stopped from preordering the game, it was their choice to wait until after release.

We got exclusive bonuses for preordering, but we paid extra for that. We paid full price while current players get the digital edition for free. In 1-2 years people will buy it with 25-50% off. No one will stop you from buying the game and no one will force you to wait.

But in this case we, who bought the game early, have absolutely no option. We are willing to pay for the hat, we are not asking for a free hat, yet we don’t have the option to pay for it. We are being punished for buying the game too early.

Posted by: MethodicMockingbird.6520

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Am I the only one who thinks that a price drop should be enough to get more on-the-fence players flocking to the game? Did they really need to offer an otherwise unobtainable item to these undecided players to get them to play? As someone else said in the thread, I really don’t think anyone suddenly bought the game because they threw in a hat. The price drop is enough; the hat just alienates the playerbase if not all of them can obtain it.

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

I saw this attitude a lot in WoW. Each time Blizzard’s marketing group offered deals on the game, a few current players would get in a huge huff and say “why aren’t you rewarding the people already playing the game?”

The answer is really two-fold. First, the part that several people have said already: it’s an incentive to get more people into the game. It’s there to help make the game you already play more popular and therefore better. Hating on promos only hurts yourself. New blood is necessary to keep the game going and make it better.

Second, and more importantly: you already have a bonus. You’ve gotten to play the game for nearly 4 months. You’ve had early access to all the best stuff, had access to low TP prices and gem prices, gotten to see exclusive events… Your reward is: the game. You’ve probably put hundreds of hours into the game that anyone else starting now can never match. That is your reward. If someone could trade a crappy hat for 4 months of game time, they’d do it. But since they can’t, they get a crappy hat.

The entire attitude comes from an incredibly self-focused perspective that has to try pretty hard to ignore all the wonderful benefits that they personally receive thanks to promos like this, and focuses only on a made-up perception of unfairness that couldn’t possibly be further from the truth.

There are plenty of promo options that ANet could offer to entice new players without screwing over their current user base.

Personally – I’m someone who spends $20+/month in gems to get minis, and other fun… virtual items… however, I just deleted my credit card off my account for this stunt, and am not putting another cent into the game until they make things right… because we never know what they’re gonna do next… this is just the first step, and it’s in such a sorry direction.

Ultimately they’ll do whatever they want, but if they’re gonna alienate their customers like other companies, then these loyal customers WILL lose faith, and won’t be supporting them. I know I’m not.

I don’t care what the item is, the fact that they’re pulling this is unacceptable.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

Posted by: Marysvillain.6231

Marysvillain.6231

Hero’s band>

Posted by: theMrCravens.7683

theMrCravens.7683

My only simple question:

How does it hurt Anet if they mail those with Deluxe purchases/upgrades the hat ?

I seriously don’t see any problem. More happy people is good for business.

Posted by: Chained.2579

Chained.2579

I must admit that I am envious of the bonus stuff that has been offered since GW2 went live, as I got the game a week or so after it came out and paid top dollar for it. But I also understand that marketing this game will be a forever thing… They need the constant income to pay for the overhead of running, and hosting it. I would have loved to have received any bonus handout, but it would not change how I feel about the game. It is a fun game, even though there is very little information about other “problems”, that should be addressed.

We as a player base should come up with good suggestions to keep more players joining. The more players on the game, means more revenue for them, and hopefully faster, and better fix’s, along with some information on the threads that are in desperate need of it.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I am just happy to see newcomers get into the game. They get a hat, i get a game that has a healthy population and thats gift enough for me.

CETheLucid.3964

Yes, early bird gets the worm. As a preorder player we got access to beta and other stuff. It was our choice to buy the game early and we got rewarded for that. No one was stopped from preordering the game, it was their choice to wait until after release.

We got exclusive bonuses for preordering, but we paid extra for that. We paid full price while current players get the digital edition for free. In 1-2 years people will buy it with 25-50% off. No one will stop you from buying the game and no one will force you to wait.

But in this case we, who bought the game early, have absolutely no option. We are willing to pay for the hat, we are not asking for a free hat, yet we don’t have the option to pay for it. We are being punished for buying the game too early.

Okay so you just answered your own argument with the time thing. What is your point? You jumped in when you thought it was ideal. You got your due.

If it’s a matter of money, you could have waited for a discount or a promotion such as the one happening now. You made your choice.

You must now live with it.

It’s a piece of exclusive town clothing for new folks. Seriously. Get over it.

You got beta access, you had a three day head start, you were given access to the gem shop before the economy developed.

If you jumped in on that, you’re probably filthy rich right now. That’s borderline unfair. All that because you joined before live.

If you’re a GW1 player on top of this, Anet is outright spoiling you like a rich parent spoils their favorite child.

It’s just a hat. It’s a nice little trinket that is otherwise worthless, incentive for new folks to buy the game.

Let them have at least the scraps that fall from your table.

CETheLucid.3964

Fair point. Sorry, precise wording is important in my job, sometimes it creeps into other areas.

No problem.

Sharkinu.8096

Okay so you just answered your own argument with the time thing. What is your point? You jumped in when you thought it was ideal. You got your due.

If it’s a matter of money, you could have waited for a discount or a promotion such as the one happening now. You made your choice.

It’s a piece of exclusive town clothing for new folks. Seriously. Get over it.

You got beta access, you had a three day head start, you were given access to the gem shop before the economy developed.

If you jumped in on that, you’re probably filthy rich right now. That’s borderline unfair. All that because you joined before live.

If you’re a GW1 player on top of this, Anet is outright spoiling you like a rich parent spoils their favorite child.

It’s just a hat. It’s a nice little trinket that is otherwise worthless, incentive for new folks to buy the game.

Let them have at least the scraps that fall from your table.

I joined GW1 in 2008 I missed all previous hats, lots of good farming time. Glitched weapons which sells were sold for a lot of gold in the original game(unconditional +15% damage, req7 max stat weapons), farming before loot scaling, etc. Do I deserve a special exclusive item which players who bought the game before 2008 cannot obtain? No. It was my choice to wait 3 years. All I got is a very cheap price for the game(I bought Prophecies GOTY and Factions for less than 5$ each).

They never excluded current players from game content and they never should.

CETheLucid.3964

I joined GW1 in 2008 I missed all previous hats, lots of good farming time. Glitched weapons which sells were sold for a lot of gold in the original game(unconditional +15% damage, req7 max stat weapons), farming before loot scaling, etc. Do I deserve a special exclusive item which players who bought the game before 2008 cannot obtain? No. It was my choice to wait 3 years. All I got is a very cheap price for the game(I bought Prophecies GOTY and Factions for less than 5$ each).

They never excluded current players from game content and they never should.

You got exclusive beta access, a 3 day head start, gem shop access before a viable economy developed… new players get a hat.

They don’t get the same opportunity that you had. It’s passed.

You don’t get a hat that is being offered to new comers. You made your choice to jump in earlier and not later. Or else you would get a hat.

Technically, nothing is stopping you from getting another account if you so desperately need that hat!

Though I hope you might take a bit of friendly advice:
You may need to step back from this game if a little piece of exclusive town clothing is getting you bent out of shape.

(Also, I shouldn’t tell you about that in game GW2 shirt you probably don’t have if you didn’t attend an Anet event at a ComicCon.

MOAR CONTENT CURRENT PLAYER THAT R BEIN EXCLOODED BURN ANET BUURN)

People who got in on the first opportunity that are complaining about a hat, are suffering some serious first world problems. Get. Over. It.

You look silly and make a grand fool of yourself complaining about such a trivial thing. Sober up and try again in the morning, maybe it’ll make sense then. Take it easy.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

The majority of the people here got to play GW2 pre-NGE… Er… I mean pre-Ascended gear. We experienced the game when it was unique, when the zones were full and when the we looked to the devs with stars in our eyes as they made a GW1 successor, refusing to become another WoW clone.

The new players will never get that. I would take what I got over their stinky hat any day of the week. Was the best MMO I played, even if it was short lived.

Let them have their hat. It doesn’t even begin to be a worthy consolation prize for what they have missed out on. They can wear it while looking for fractals groups

Sharkinu.8096

You got exclusive beta access, a 3 day head start, gem shop access before a viable economy developed… new players get a hat.

You don’t get a hat that is being offered to new comers. You made your choice to jump in earlier and not later. Or else you would get a hat.

Technically, nothing is stopping you from getting another account if you so desperately need that hat!

Though I hope you might take a bit of friendly advice:
You may need to step back from this game if a little piece of exclusive town clothing is getting you bent out of shape.

(Also, I shouldn’t tell you about that in game GW2 shirt you probably don’t have if you didn’t attend an Anet event at a ComicCon.

MOAR CONTENT CURRENT PLAYER THAT R BEIN EXCLOODED BURN ANET BUURN)

People who got in on the first opportunity that are complaining about a hat, are suffering some serious first world problems. Get. Over. It.

You look silly and make a grand fool of yourself complaining about such a trivial thing. Sober up and try again in the morning, maybe it’ll make sense then. Take it easy.

I said before about the convention exclusives. If you want to get one you go there and get one, or ask a friend to get you one, or buy a key from ebay. No one is going to stop you. If new players wanted to get the headstart bonuses they had the option to preorder. No one said: “Stop. You are not allowed to buy now. You will buy it later. The headstart bonuses are not for you.”

They didn’t got the headstart bonuses because they were not here. But I’m here, and perfectly capable of buying the hat. I’m just not allowed to.

And no, I can’t get the hat. If I buy a new account I’m basically a new player. There is no way to get it on my current account. I don’t need multiple accounts.

If the GW2 T-shirt was like the wizard hat promo that would be like going to gamescom, asking for a t-shirt key and being told to get lost because I have a game account already, even if I’m here at this convention I’m not allowed to get a shirt.

CETheLucid.3964

They didn’t got the headstart bonuses because they were not here. But I’m here, and perfectly capable of buying the hat. I’m just not allowed to.

Anet isn’t shafting it’s old player base. If some of these posts are any indication, they’re a bunch of spoiled pedants.

Sharkinu.8096

Ok, lets look at it differently. Lets ignore all the pre-purchasers. They got some shinies they got time to play with the gem market they are the spoiled kids.

What about the current players who joined the game just a few days before the wizard promotion. They missed the betas, they missed the gw2 cap, they missed the hero’s band. No halloween costumes, no mad king tome backpiece, no free hats like devil horns and witch hat. They also had to pay 20$ extra for deluxe edition. They can’t get the wizard hat. Why? Because they have shinies from before the promotion? They don’t.

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

One day…i hope ANet reward those who play on the first day.

Posted by: Darkmage.6830

Darkmage.6830

I’m so frustrated with this . Seriously you want to tell me that someone who buys the game now gets the deluxe edition for the same money i bought the PREPAID version? That’s outrageous i mean i supported the company and the game by pre-purchasing the game and i don’t get to have the deluxe but someone that buys it now after this long gets to have it ? That’s a big failure from their part. And here in Europe it’s a lot worse cause it’s not just 20$ but 27 euros do have any idea how much is that ? It’s 35 $ and let me tell you something here in Greece the minimum pay is 280euro so if i want the deluxe now i have to buy 2000 gems which equals 27 euro which is a week of me working !!!! And someone that just bought the game gets the deluxe for free ???!?!?!?! WTF ?!?!? I’m so frustrated

P.S : Sorry for my Grammar mistakes .And i surely will keep supporting the game cause its awesome (i have made 10 friends of mine buy it) I just think that the offer is really bad for the ones that supported the game even before it was published …

CETheLucid.3964

Ok, lets look at it differently. Lets ignore all the pre-purchasers. They got some shinies they got time to play with the gem market they are the spoiled kids.

What about the current players who joined the game just a few days before the wizard promotion. They missed the betas, they missed the gw2 cap, they missed the hero’s band. No halloween costumes, no mad king tome backpiece, no free hats like devil horns and witch hat. They also had to pay 20$ extra for deluxe edition. They can’t get the wizard hat. Why? Because they have shinies from before the promotion? They don’t.

C’est la vie. Such is life. Opportunities come and opportunities go. I shouldn’t have need to tell you that, unless you really don’t get out much.

I’m not ‘against’ Anet spoiling it’s loyal fan base, not by any means! I love the stuff I’ve gotten as a pre-launch pre-purchaser and as a GW1 veteran.

No other company is this nice to it’s fanbase!

I greatly and deeply appreciate this kindness. I’m thankful and it’s inspiring. But wow, looking at some of these posts is amazing.

That’s why I compare these people to kids being spoiled by rich parents.

The kindness of the parents is repaid in large part by the development of some of the most nasty, self-absorbed, and thankless prats that you will ever come in contact with.

Typically drunk and/or high in their meanderings.

They’re not even the fun kind of drunk. They’re the insipid sniveling ones. There is a reason I don’t often frequent these forums but in short bursts.

But I digress.

One day…i hope ANet reward those who play on the first day.

Attachments:

Posted by: Oni.7451

Oni.7451

I agree with the an earlier post that stated something like “Each purchase has its incentives.” While I would probably be a little kitten if this was a much more unique item, I don’t feel like a simpler texture of an event hat that was already in game is something to huff over.

I have two friends who are looking into this game. I have been asking and asking for them purchase it. (they were already planning on it, just never had the time due to classes until today) Now they have an even greater incentive. They don’t have to feel AS bad about missing all two of the past events. They now have a little something to make them feel special.

Needless to say, the day that Arena Net decides its a good idea to release a super special/unique monster of an item for newcomers (as in something we have never seen anything like before like a weapon skin or armor) … I may find it harder to agree with the decision.

Sharkinu.8096

I’m so frustrated with this . Seriously you want to tell me that someone who buys the game now gets the deluxe edition for the same money i bought the PREPAID version? That’s outrageous i mean i supported the company and the game by pre-purchasing the game and i don’t get to have the deluxe but someone that buys it now after this long gets to have it ? That’s a big failure from their part. And here in Europe it’s a lot worse cause it’s not just 20$ but 27 euros do have any idea how much is that ? It’s 35 $ and let me tell you something here in Greece the minimum pay is 280euro so if i want the deluxe now i have to buy 2000 gems which equals 27 euro which is a week of me working !!!! And someone that just bought the game gets the deluxe for free ???!?!?!?! WTF ?!?!? I’m so frustrated

P.S : Sorry for my Grammar mistakes .And i surely will keep supporting the game cause its awesome (i have made 10 friends of mine buy it) I just think that the offer is really bad for the ones that supported the game even before it was published …

Sorry for not being with you, but that’s not what I’m defending. Sales for games happen all the time. It’s a normal thing to attract new buyers and is pretty stupid to ak for the price difference every time the game goes on sale. I’m not asking valve to give me 7% of the release price of Portal 2 every time the game goes on sale for 75% off.

What I’m saying is that is not fair denying access to content to all your current customers. I’m not even asking for a free wizard hat, just a way to acquire it. Put it on store for 200 gems until Jan 7th and it will be fair for everyone. New customers will get it for free, old customers can get it for 200 gems and the hat will stay exclusive because it wont be sold after Jan 7th when the promotion ends.

Posted by: Zepi.3170

Zepi.3170

^ This, i’m all for giving newer players discount off the game price but restricting in-game items to players is a bad decision. Follow Eve online they give discounts for newer players but never have they given out exclusive items unless I am mistaken. They also integrated the whole plex (subscription time) for isk (ingame money) quite well in contrast to the whole gem-gold thing but that’s another thing entirely.

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

I’d like to add my two cents in on this as well. I’d like a chance at the hat.

I realize that Anet is trying to make a special offer, and its ultimately up to them. I’m not going to go into a big long description of “giving everyone equal opportunity” for the hat. However I will leave it at this, I played and loved GW1. I got each chapter’s collector edition and every special offer they made. I want the hat “not because I’m a loyal customer” but because I enjoy the Guild Wars series so much and want as much as they’ll let me get my greedy little money filled paws on. Merry Christmas everyone!

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

Here’s a Screenshot of the [Wizard Hat] on a Charr.

For a Promo item, pretty dull looking to get all upset over.

Attachments:

Posted by: MethodicMockingbird.6520

MethodicMockingbird.6520

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

A free wizard’s hat is available in the style category for every player to enjoy.

There, now we can bank the hat as well. I’ll continue wearing my GW2 launch cap tyvm!

Posted by: Lazarus.1083

Lazarus.1083

Well there you have it. Now if only pressure like this would work for the “important” stuff. Merry Winters Day

Posted by: Unindal.9102

Unindal.9102

Free wizard hat for all! Check the gemstore!

Posted by: Arnekun.6170

Arnekun.6170

It’s free? Right on.

(edited by Arnekun.6170)

Posted by: Danielle Mesmorie.7864

Danielle Mesmorie.7864

Is this game going to turn into Guild Fortress 2?

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

I’m stoked that the hat is available – and to all… as it should be.

I just hope this thread shows up somewhere for ArenaNet to see and realize there are some good ways to market for new players… without making the existing customers feel cheated…

I’m back to spending my dollars at the gem store again, keep up the great work ArenaNet

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

Sharkinu.8096

Thank you, Arena Net, for allowing us to get it too. I was actually willing to pay for it, but is nice that we are getting it for free too.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Oops, was reading the wrong page. Nevermind this post.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Chuckles.3754

Chuckles.3754

puts on his robe and wizard hat

Thanks arenanet, it’s a pretty awesome hat!

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Thank you for making the hat available to everyone. I truly, honestly appreciate it.

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Nice, just got my hat. Thanks Anet for listening to your loyal customers instead of the cheap ones.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Well that was very nice of Arenanet to do. They didn’t have to, nor were obligated to do, nor was it the right or ethical thing they had to do. Very nice of you Arenanet.

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Well that was very nice of Arenanet to do. They didn’t have to, nor were obligated to do, nor was it the right or ethical thing they had to do. Very nice of you Arenanet.

feel free to claim lots of it and destroy in rage.

again, thanks anet for the hat.

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

Think we can all agree this is settled? Mod wanna close this one?

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Zxmelee.8351

Zxmelee.8351

I just have a quick question regarding the wizard hat you get from getting the Deluxe edition of the game.

Why is it only the people that are buying the game now that get it? Shouldn’t anyone with the deluxe edition get the hat, regardless of when they got it? Its just it doesn’t seem fair that the people that are getting it now get everything else that the people whom pre-ordered or bought the game right after it came out get. How can we get it without buying it from the gem shop? Maybe they will give it to us after some point, but if so I would like some confirmation.

Not trying to be whiny, just putting in my 2 cents.

Any opinions regarding this? I’m interested in what everyone else thinks about this.

(edited by Zxmelee.8351)

Posted by: WetWookie.1687

WetWookie.1687

It’s free in the style section of the gem store.

Posted by: Zxmelee.8351

Zxmelee.8351

It’s free in the style section of the gem store.

OH!. Thanks. I appreciate you telling me, I didn’t see anything about it n the site so I assumed it was just for the people that were just now getting the game. xD

I’ll research harder next time.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

chill… promotion happens all the time.

You can’t complain to walmart if you miss a black-friday deal, right?

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

Thank you ANet for valuing loyal customers as much as newcomers!

Wizard Hat is at the bottom of the style section (the very bottom, apart from the Wintersday clothing).

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat