Do older people play this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Just remember, we don’t get older, we level up.

+1 for this, as it made me chuckle.

Shame, though, that you start getting weaker as you hit the highest levels.

STOP PUTTING ALL YOUR STATS INTO WISDOM, HIGH LEVELS!

I actually like older players than younger players.

More or less the same. I find that the older someone gets, the less angst they have – especially if they have the time for playing video games.

When they don’t, they’re full of angst.

Video games, makes you more mellow.

Or maybe they’re all just potheads. shrug

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

As the topic says really, im just curious as to whether older people play this game? Personally, im 33 and literally just starting out on the game and so I havent spoken to many people yet. Not that it makes a huge difference to me how old people who play are if the game is good (which i am yet to find out), but i guess i was just being nosey about the demographic :x

44 years old… And I’ve been playing since pre-release GW1….

Posted by: whitz.7246

whitz.7246

yes they do, i am 76

Wow…thought I was an old timer at 52….no offense intended.

I put ancient references in chat to fish out the old fogeys….like lyrics to songs from the 70s and things about 8 track tapes and The Rockford Files….

You have to go back to at least the 50’s and 60’s songs to fish out us older gamers.
68 here and gaming keeps me young

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As you can see, if you look for older players, you can find them, but that doesn’t change the fact that a (probably huge) majority of the players are still in high school. There’s a reason the game is rated T.

As such, you can expect map chat to be filled to the bursting with referential humor and other pitiful attempts to get laughs (read: validation) from strangers. Sigh…

Actually my experience from speaking to people is that most players (on EU servers, not sure about NA) are in their late teens or older.

That’s based on things like people talking about going to work/university instead of school, talking about wives, husbands, kids, and sometimes simply asking people.

In my experience you can’t use how mature you consider a persons casual conversations to be as an accurate way to judge their age. Even among my own friends I’m equally likely to see vague, drama inducing (or simply attention seeking) Facebook posts like “OMG y would u do that!” from my mums oldest friend or my teenage niece. And I’m equally likely to see calm, reasoned discussion of politics (especially now) from middle aged co-workers or the teenagers I met on a music forum.

I get the same at work. We get rambling emails full of petty passive aggressive threats against my entire organisation if we don’t immediately capitulate to the senders every demand from successful home owners with adult children. If it wasn’t for the fact that they’re contacting me to complain about how their daughters rented flat compares to their house I’d guess they were 13 years old and just gotten their first email address from the language.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

I’m 51 and I’ve been playing GW/GW2 since the beginning of 2008. The guy who introduced me to GW and tutored me in it is a retiree in his 60’s, and my GW guild was/is led by a grandmother. In fact, my GW2 guild is led by a married couple just about my age.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Yeah, a lot of GenX’ers are into gaming, we grew up with video games. We play them, we develop them. According to the GDC, the bulk of the developers are over 30. Now, if we were more the marketing target, we’d prolly see better games… but there are some. GW2 is ok, I’m generally a sandbox gamer, but this has it’s qualities and some similarities, a decent amount of sophistication. For me, in my 40’s, I require sophistication, and preferably something different than the other game I play which is called something like Spreadsheet’s Online, hehe. Progression should be out, not up sort of like my belly lol o7

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

yea, lots of older players. 47 here. i think this is a good game for older people because it doesn’t have to be stressful and competitive unless you want it to be.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I’m…36 I think? I honestly have stopped keeping track. So I guess so.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Oh my yes. There are plenty of older players. I turned 70 last November and only started playing online games in 2006.

My son purchased me a laptop when I kept watching him play WoW like it was a spectator sport. Guess he did not realize what he was getting into….hehhehehehe

Still going strong and I certainly enjoy gaming.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

70 here. Can confirm.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: Chaialyna.1023

Chaialyna.1023

My mother, who is 95, doesn’t play but I have showed her the game on Skype and she likes my ranger’s pets. She’s even buying me a new headset and MMO mouse for my 53rd birthday on Sunday. You’re never too old.

Alts-R-Us ~ All professions at 80 ~ Still leveling characters.
Main? What “main”? I play all of them sooner or later.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I’m 40 closing in on 41

I have been gaming since I was 8….

I liked playing on monochrome 320*480… now playing on 1920*1200 with 16.7M colors…
1st pc I used had 2 180kb FDD’s, now I have 2.5 Tb of storage, my last pc using a FDD was scrapped 10+ yrs ago.
1st pc I used had 64 Kb of memory, now I have 32 Gb
1st modem use ws at 180 baud… now at 120Mbit/sec.
1st pc I used was at 3,77 Mhz if I remember correct now at 3.8 Ghz.

I am from the generation which thought CD’s were things with epic amounts of storage when I first saw ‘m, I could burn my own CD’s in my caddy fed 4 speed burner…

My father boughty the first PC I sat behind which was a big box with an integrated screen , He really wanted to buy a real HDD drive but it cost 1800+ US-dollars for 10 Mb in the early 80’s….

Attachments:

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: shaman.1938

shaman.1938

I am 45 (didn’t think i would get past 18 when i was younger and the bench mark seems to keep increasing)

Lets face it MMOs and online things are not based on age anymore just the wish to do things ..

as a semi disabled person I like to have something to do and since no one in their right mind hires a person who MIGHT end up off injured again I hide in such games as GW2 since I was around for the start of MMO genres (even played text based MMOs back in the day) ..

33 years old is still YOUNG to me now so do what you want to do

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I’m 29 (30 in August). Most of my MMO friends are younger than me, lol.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

33 and played since beta.
Wife is 32 and has played for a little over a year.
A 30 year old cousin plays.
My brother is 27 and has played for 6 months.
I have some nieces and nephews that play too.
Both my daughters have characters that they play around with.

Not only do older people play, but the game brings families together. Nothing like a Friday night dungeon raid with good ol’uncle Karm.

I want to be like ol’unkle Karm.
Sadly noone else in my family plays and thinks I need to grow up, Im 33 btw =)

I’m 26, nearly 27 in June, and same issue. I want a job to get to move out and play this (and a few other games) in peace right now rather than get a job… for other reasons. Selfish I know. GW 2 is fun!

Also GW 2 is my 4th MMO of 6 I played or are still playing since 18.

• PSO (Phantasy Star Online) 1 BB (Blue Burst) <-hop on on holiday events.
  • Ragnarok Online <-done with it
  • GW 1 <-quit when GW 2 came out 50/50 HoM and GWAMM.
  • GW 2 <-playing now
  • DCUO (DC Universe Online) <-gave up as its too much money
  • PSO 2 JP (Japanese ver.) <-playing now
Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

The oldest people I know playing are over 70. The youngest I’ve met was 7. (Something to keep in mind the next time you see a complaint about ANet suspending people for poor word choices.)

I’ll keep that in mind with a game rated for Teens…

I pvp every day to preserve my youth!

OMG the secret to living forever! Feeding on your enemies tears!

the rated 12+ is advice, not a rule saying anyone under 12 is not allowed to play this game. it is about the game it self and not the players. therefore it is adviced to stay on the “levels” of the game with your language choices, because yes my son is 5 and he plays and he can read words like kitten and kitten as well (obviously not only those words).
And yeah yeah filter this filter that, you know the filter isnt there to give others excuse to swear, it is nt even allowed, and is a bannable offense. (i seen it hapen to a friend who couldnt keep his piehole shut).

Anyway on topic, just turned 35.

Posted by: Katalos.5038

Katalos.5038

24 here.

I was expecting the players in GW2 to be slightly older, maybe around 30-40. Many of you surprised me because I don’t know any adults (people who are muchhh older than me, so, yea, it’s relative to me) play games, especially MMOs. Probably that’s not common in my culture.

Or…. you guys are actually trolling?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

From the looks of this topic the question is do young people play this game =)

Posted by: Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

plus if u see guilds asking for +18 or older then u know u it is a game of all ages. i am in a guild that accepts all ages that is all i have to say

Posted by: MigukNamja.1538

MigukNamja.1538

40 here. Been playing MMOs since MUDs.

Posted by: OnyxZero.5694

OnyxZero.5694

been gaming since you had to go to an arcade! just started GW2 .

Posted by: vengeance.3509

vengeance.3509

So many people say playing video games is wasting my life, but I say what else woudl you do?

Drugs?

Smoking?

Alcohol?

These things make gaming seem healthy

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The oldest people I know playing are over 70. The youngest I’ve met was 7. (Something to keep in mind the next time you see a complaint about ANet suspending people for poor word choices.)

I’ll keep that in mind with a game rated for Teens…

I pvp every day to preserve my youth!

OMG the secret to living forever! Feeding on your enemies tears!

the rated 12+ is advice, not a rule saying anyone under 12 is not allowed to play this game. it is about the game it self and not the players. therefore it is adviced to stay on the “levels” of the game with your language choices, because yes my son is 5 and he plays and he can read words like kitten and kitten as well (obviously not only those words).
And yeah yeah filter this filter that, you know the filter isnt there to give others excuse to swear, it is nt even allowed, and is a bannable offense. (i seen it hapen to a friend who couldnt keep his piehole shut).

Anyway on topic, just turned 35.

Actually, depending on where you are in the world it’s much more than advice. In the UK for example age ratings on games (and movies) are legally enforced and you can be fined for allowing anyone under age to buy or play them. Although it’s usually only enforced at the point of sale because after that it’s impractical.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

been gaming since you had to go to an arcade! just started GW2 .

PONG! I still have mine Well not from an arcade, it’s the first console game, has two knobs and a power switch, and purely PvP! The only arcade around at the time was a bowling alley that had a line of pinball games near the door (about 6), and I’ll tell you most people didn’t like getting beat by a kid lol. Their first arcade game was Star Castle. Think I first stood there for 20 minutes mystified… then I went in on to conquering it.

Then some time after I had my Atari2600, I got a C64, first gen before the great shortage. Now those were the best, learned graphics programming, database management/programming, Basic and some assembly code, made lots of DnD modules to print out on the dot matrix printer. It got me into electronics and robotics too, later repairing systems and building control motors to move wheels and arms I wrapped and soldered together then plugged into the system (basis for getting into CnC for some years). Those systems are actually still used, C64, mostly by HAM radio enthusiasts. But still, when I open my 3D modeling/animation app, I remember how it was to calculate every graphic pixel and sprite then program it directly into code.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

yup been playing this game since I first picked up GW1 . for my self I love it and to me it beats first person shooters

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I’m 35, been with the GW franchise since I was 25. Fell in love with online games I guess around 1998/99. I don’t generally consider myself “old” (unless you count how I’m starting to feel).

I can’t spend every waking hour in-game like when I was much younger, but I think once you’ve developed that appreciation for online worlds, it never really leaves you regardless of how much time / energy you have for it.

I think it’s increasingly common for gamers these days to not be kids, but rather adults. We may have started as kids in the 90s or 80s (or earlier!), but it’s not like we suddenly started hating the whole concept when we grew up.

And yeah, the people who say it’s such a “waste of time” or whatever ..like sitting around watching tv is such an amazing venture, or anything else people do. Let’s face it, real life isn’t always spectacular. Never any shortage of things we have to do that we’d rather not. We all need our diversions where we can squeeze the in. We can make a list and weigh the pros and cons of each, but ultimately it’s for us, not others, to decide we’re allowed to enjoy what we’re doing.

For the record: I actively avoid playing with with immature people (of any age) with the exception of my daughter. I actually feel I would have been closer to my dad if I could have gotten him into gaming more (he did actually monopolize the old N64 for a time though). I look forward to having that be different with my own kid. She’s into GW2, but lately totally obsessed with Minecraft.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

53 – gamer as long as I can recall, computer gaming since I got my first computer an Apple IIe with 128k card back in the late 70s.

I’ve been a gamer all my days, pen and paper, pong, arcades, miniatures, I even have an original copy of H G Wells " Little Wars" book published in 1913.

Its full title is “Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys’ games and books.”

I wonder if he’d be surprised at how his game has grown and evolved over the years.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

40 – If you find something fun, you will continue at it no matter how old you are.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

Posted by: POTDOG.1765

POTDOG.1765

46 and from the Era of coin slot arcade days . Built a heath computer in the 70 s . Atari commador all the oldies . Would hack Universitys phone line’s with friend just to play text games . LMAO now texting is a new universe . I find it great that people in the sane years are doing well if not better than the whipper snappers that are gun ho and think they know it all .

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

62 yr old disabled grandma here, played alot of Pong in my day, then Nintendo, followed by PS1. GW2 is much better than sitting on the porch watching the grass grow LOL.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys’ games and books."

Not sure whether I should be highly insulted, or mildly flattered?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s a rule book on playing with miniatures, tin soldiers. Wonder what HG would think of Warhammer and all the other miniatures based games nowadays.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

At least he thought to include girls, which still seems to be a stumbling block for some game makers/players today.