Do people like Meta Maps?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Hey, I thought I would try to do a poll with this, since I want to see if people really do.
I do know that this probably wont be a very accurate poll based on everyone playing and what their thoughts are, but I guess it is interesting enough to figure out which one the general forum users will choose.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12303328

(edited by zengara.8301)

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

personally, no. They are all the same thing, zerg fest, particle effects, 0 skill involved, and I don’t really see any party play. So yeah.
I would rather like they put resources into actually making story play, maybe even more instanced play like in Core GW2, more reasons for party play which are story telling focused (and not fractals).

That is my main issue with HoT, story which is done in one day, kinda rushed in some parts, it’s not fluid at all…I would rather 10 more chapters then Meta Events

I think dungeons were actually great (AC in my heart forever), if only they were worked on more, and if story telling was made in that way…
Also World Bosses could be so much more expanded and connected with story and the world, and I do enjoy playing them, even if they are also zerg fest, but actually some have nice mechanics

I dunno man, Open World Meta Events are just crazy boring for me, I have no fun at all, only reason I play is cuz unique currencies and items from those maps, tbh, I feel cheated playing them.

But yeah, let’s kill all the White Mantle!! That I am always for!

(edited by Mikali.9651)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The problem with the poll is that it is black and white. The game needs both types for variety, so yes I like metas, but only in small doses. Too many meta maps is bad long term.

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

Personally I like meta maps WHEN the enemy is engaging and inspiring to fight. I could care less about fighting mordrem in a sand-blasted wasteland and balling up into zergs to do it if I don’t want to be killed.
However, Lake Doric was my sweet spot — a strong meta that really gives the flavor of a shifting battlefield but still more than playable solo. And it’s against a bad guy I’m definitely invested in punching, ever since they were my enemy in GW1.

(this is why FPS games for a long time were set in WW2, a good villain goes a long way)

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

The poll is on the level: “What would you like to wear: shoes or coat?”
The only good way for everyone is to have both meta and non-meta content on maps. Lets face the truth, noone hates metas, people hate map peices gated by metas. Unfortunately, Anet overreacted after HoT and now we have 3 maps were (at the best case) all the meta is punching non-unique champion bullet sponges.
Personaly I enjoy HoT stile meta, where chain events (each one with a little story in it) lead up to a epic world boss fight. Of course, there must be content for people for those who don’t like such kind of gameplay. But there should be content for people as me. I can see something like that content in Lake Doric, but it lacks 1 important thing – an epic climax, like a world boss fight.
I really don’t want to judge living world maps as they are free content, but if their “aviod all meta” thing is a new trend in upcomming expansion, I’m personaly not going to buy it.

(edited by Ider.1276)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Meta maps are great when you have large groups of people running them at all times so that everyone can get a completion. The problem is that only happens for the first week or so.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

A lot of friends and guildies I have left GW2 after HoT release because they were unable to enjoy HoT contents without the “meta train”. Some meta maps can be helpful in bringing up difficulty, but having every single HoT map related to map population ruins my guildies’ time to enjoy, discuss and explore with people they know. Some of them are die hard GW lore fans, so it’s really disheartening to see them go because of it. And you can really tell a lot of development resources is directed at meta maps rather than story instances, so you basically lose a lot of MMO teamwork opportunities into blob pressing 1 or stomping mushrooms.

Not saying I want all meta maps removed. But this should be done on a fine balance. I’m still a bit reserved with Lake Doric since its a bit early to tell.

(edited by NICENIKESHOE.7128)

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

you have to look at it in context, and here you have a couple options when it comes to content in an open map:

1. single quest chain, once your done all that is left in a zone is gathering.

2. single quest chain, and once its done individual repeatable daily quests that are so transient they have to be solable.

3. Meta quest chain – long running quest chains that supports solo and group play.

No answer is perfect for long term play ability but you have to pick one at the end of the day and for me the last is the most interesting.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

meta maps are pretty cool. Dynamic maps that can change on rotation. I wonder if anet will develop the idea even further. I love to inspect new platforms to deliver content.

Like usual, anet have amazing ideas. Sometimes, I feel like content does not keep up with their mechanics.

Posted by: Valiant.5078

Valiant.5078

Yes, otherwise it’s boring like Cursed Shore.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t answer user-generated polls because the questions are always influenced by the creator’s point of view, sometimes intended and sometimes not.

If you want to collect data on how people feel, start by asking the question first, “what are people’s favorite/least-favorite meta maps?” And then use the responses to decide what questions to ask in your poll. It still won’t be representative of the community, but at least it will be representative of the people kittenpond to polls posted in forums.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Dixie Cougar.2415

Dixie Cougar.2415

My guild leads TD every day and there are others doing TD, DS, SW, etc (not so much VB or AB anymore.) I find challenging map metas to be a nice balance between easy, freeform open world gameplay and the stress of raids. The difficulty is often in organizing groups of players that haven’t necessarily fought together before. When it all comes together it can be very rewarding for the participants and organizers alike.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

i do not do polls at all only do poll,s personally tho . LOL and far as to your question .

i never ever ever like the concepts or making of the metta maps stuff at all. more so with

playing Guild Wars for so long. but ahh since we all are forced to this meta stuff i still

try very hard not to do or bother with it at all. and hope it goes away super fast. unless

its something that is i want in a reward at the end of it . that is the only time i even

will deal with meta stuff at all ever !! otherwise i avoid it fully and hard and best as i can

also it be nice to have at least just one map without any kind of meta in it at all.

or better yet say 6 months without any meta maps at all. and see the good big

difference but yeah anet never will do that one they love the meta map concepts

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Thank you all for your response, the poll did honestly upon my eyes a bit for diversity, would be interesting to know if the answers is based on previous games played, or just personal preferences, maybe even because of current state in life.

I will try to answer some concerns, though I do want to make it very clear that I already stated that this poll would not be a determination of the player base in any way.

I would not say that the 2 answers regarding this topic are like choosing between a “coat or shoes”. Simply because the 2 answers literally contradict each other, I am not saying that you would not be able to choose both at all, I am just saying that most probably have 1 thing they would like more (in its best state ofc, I guess thats how most intepretated it), if they should choose. I was personally never a fan of the repetition myself, not the “bulletsponge bosses” though I do get what you are saying. But the main difference between a meta map and one that is not, seems to be based on repetition, and again, I guess most did have some idea that it was the choice between a map regarding huge bosses/a lot of minions/XX stuff and doing them over or exploration (alone without dying to fast)/small interesting quests…etc you get the notion

And based on that, I can take on the 2. concern
That the whole thread is influenced by my point of view.
I honestly did not intend to influence it in any regard, though I can see that by using the wording “Do people like Meta Maps?” I am almost referring to it as being something bizarre, even though I do hope most that answered did already have their own opinion beforehand, I would like to apologies for the title.

Posted by: Granada Garuda.8391

Granada Garuda.8391

People like new content whether its a meta map or not isnt important, as long as new content is available.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

I would not say that the 2 answers regarding this topic are like choosing between a “coat or shoes”. Simply because the 2 answers literally contradict each other, I am not saying that you would not be able to choose both at all, I am just saying that most probably have 1 thing they would like more (in its best state ofc, I guess thats how most intepretated it), if they should choose. I was personally never a fan of the repetition myself, not the “bulletsponge bosses” though I do get what you are saying. But the main difference between a meta map and one that is not, seems to be based on repetition, and again, I guess most did have some idea that it was the choice between a map regarding huge bosses/a lot of minions/XX stuff and doing them over or exploration (alone without dying to fast)/small interesting quests…etc you get the notion

But you are a bit wrong. All current meta-maps have non-meta events and content. In AB, for example, you can power up all the pilons and stil have an hour till the chalanges and octovine fight. But the map still lives, small non-meta events pop in (clear the waters, kill the vinetooth) to keep the players busy. Yeah, you can have full meta maps if you reset the map after final bossfight (hi, Mordemoth). And you can have full non-meta (hi, LS3 maps). But why don’t have both? The poll results are like 45/55 now. It is a bad idea to ignore any half of auditory when you can clearly make content for both sides.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

It’s not an all-or-nothing proposition. Meta maps are good on occasion. The problem is we get them too often these days. HoT’s biggest screw up was making all of the new maps heavy meta maps. That doesn’t work. People need to be able to play the game casually and more serious players need to be concentrated as much as possible.

tl;dr – Meta maps are great as long as they are the exception and not the norm.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Yes, otherwise it’s boring like Cursed Shore.

sometimes. I feel like the problem with content is that anet tend to make it with their old and tried paradigm in mind. They create a cool mechanic but implements a beautiful but dated content

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 I would not try polls because forum population has been declining. Forum people are the minority