Do the devs care about color blind gamers?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tuckc.3975

tuckc.3975

As a red-green color blind person (much more popular than you would think), this game is unplayable due to the AOE circles. I have tried multiple times, tried multiple different “fixes”… nothing helps. I really want to like this game. But I have and would strongly advise anyone who is color blind to avoid this game altogether. Almost every recent game that has this type of color mechanic also has a “color blind mode”. I don’t imagine that this would not be very hard to implement into GW2. Therefore after reading many threads about this issue, I have come to the conclusion that the devs do not give a kitten about color blind gamers.

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

I don’t really understand how colour blind works but +1 from me

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

they do care, it’s since a long time that we address the issue of red circles on the ground, they changed over time, in the beginning they were just flat circles that we couldn’t see at all, than they became brighter and kinda 3d. that solved the problem for me.
even though with the last patch i not only don’t see red circles on the ground anymore, but i don’t see effects, mobs and players at all.

i hope one day they’ll just do it black!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m also colorblind and I perceived a huge difference when they raised the circles off the ground…but I agree there should be a full on colorblind option and I’m not sure why one hasn’t been implemented.

tuckc.3975

It would be as simple as allowing us to customize the colors. I just don’t get it. It honestly seems like they don’t care at all.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Out of curiosity, what other games can you point to that do include a “color blind mode”?

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

If you could address what exactly the problem is, it could help the devs.
If it’s “just” the AoE circles, a simple fix would be to make the enemies’ ones blue or yellow with that checkbox. Or probably, friendly yellow and enemies’ blue. This shouldn’t need a big rework.

But if you expect a different dye palette, world maps or other things, it could be difficult.

tuckc.3975

Out of curiosity, what other games can you point to that do include a “color blind mode”?

Well out of the few games that I currently play (you’ve probably never heard of them): Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, World of Tanks.

Not sure why that matters though…

(edited by tuckc.3975)

tuckc.3975

If you could address what exactly the problem is, it could help the devs.
If it’s “just” the AoE circles, a simple fix would be to make the enemies’ ones blue or yellow with that checkbox. Or probably, friendly yellow and enemies’ blue. This shouldn’t need a big rework.

But if you expect a different dye palette, world maps or other things, it could be difficult.

Did you even read my post? The one that clearly says: “AoE circles”

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Well out of the few games that I currently play, Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, World of Tanks….. Must I continue?

Any examples you can think of would be of interest, yes. I’m curious about specific methods developed for different interfaces/art styles/genres especially.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Yeah, I think having an option to make AoE circles be a bright hornet yellow instead of red would help colorblind players.

One of my irl friends is r/g colorblind and a significant amount of male players suffer from colorblindness, many without even realizing it. Strangely, it’s less prevalent in females overall.

Anyways, that’s all beside the point. A simple toggle for Color-Blind mode ought to help and it only takes like ten minutes of research to find a viable alternative (IE: Anything not derivative of red or green.)

Also: League of Legends has an option for teams to be blue and purple, I believe. I remember Team Fortress was specifically set up as Red vs Blue because it’s easier to differentiate Gray from Blue than it is Gray from Gray for colorblind players.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sadly usability issues like this are overlooked by devs until it’s brought to their attention or someone in their organization is color blind and they nag the staff every day.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

fun fact: no such thing as “red/green colorblind”. some form of red colorblind and green colorblind are simply together the most common, making up about 99% of all colorblindness (about 8% of males and 0.5% of females have some form of colorblindness). http://colorvisiontesting.com/color2.htm

Anyways, I’m red-deficient colorblind (“Protanomaly”). All it means is red is less prominent for me. some purples look blue. some orange looks yellow. some browns and greens look the same. red is just less THERE. light/pale colors are even tougher, as there isn’t much color to begin with.

I used to have huge problems with aoe skills. I’d just dodge them all. If I analyzed the field long enough I could decide it was red or green, but at fast decision making if I should go in or not, there was no way to tell the difference. Think of it as being presented with just a O or 0 and having to tell if it’s a letter or number asap. Sure, you can sometimes eventually figure it out depending on font type and size, but in fast-paced games you don’t have time. making it larger, as they did by raising the aoe’s off the ground helped but did not solve it.
Personally, I’m ok with red being there. There’s far less red terrain to confuse it with than green. I would prefer friendly aoe fields to be blue instead of pale green. able to individually set which color each is would be perfect, of course.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Was there a need for a third thread on this?

Behellagh.1468

Well it’s not like the forum search function is useful and most people don’t know about the site: command on Google.

With it I quickly found 6 others but none recent.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Color-blindness-support-options – 8 months ago

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Color-Blind-Disability-Assist – 5 to 4 months ago

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/GL-and-colorblindness – 4 months ago

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/This-is-what-color-blindness-looks-like – 9 months ago

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Color-Blindness – 10 months ago

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Color-Blindness-Accommodations – 10 to 8 months ago

So what’s better, a new topic or necroposting one of the old ones? I would say with gaps like that a new post.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Have you ever tried using the GW2 forums search feature? It doesn’t work 98% of the time, typing in the keyword “colorblind” brings up zero results, so, I would say yes there was and there may be more once this one gets buried.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

There were two on the front page at the time of posting my comment. No search needed.

Disregard that ^

They were on the Suggestion forums which I was reading before this, my apologies. This will probably end up there as well however.

(edited by Poledo.3256)

Posted by: Solefald.8751

Solefald.8751

They don’t care, or don’t care as much they should. The circles are better yes, but I still have a hard time sometimes too see those freaking circles. And in 2013 I can’t understand what is so hard about adding a colorblind check box into the options, like in battlefield 3 for example….Must be VERY hard coding suuuure….

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

OP

I Hope They Resolve this as soon as possible.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

tuckc.3975

OP

But they won’t. This issue has been brought up many different times with not even a single response from the dev team.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

OP

But they won’t. This issue has been brought up many different times with not even a single response from the dev team.

That’s not true, the textured AE circles are clear evidence that the Dev Team have been listening to the community. There’s more that could be done of course but it would be wrong (and counter-productive) to say that they’ve done nothing.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

The probable reason is that you’re not a majority. I’m not discriminating or something (I have a colorblind friend who plays gw2) but there are probably more “pressing” issues to fix, more “heavy weighted” content to add – that this matter is not much of a concern.

Again, this is not a discrimination or mocking. My friend adapted to GW2 – he’s a better player than me to be honest. :p

But still, I hope they fix – let the game have a checkbox to toggle colorblind gaming on or off..

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

tuckc.3975

OP

That’s not true, the textured AE circles are clear evidence that the Dev Team have been listening to the community. There’s more that could be done of course but it would be wrong (and counter-productive) to say that they’ve done nothing.

“textured”… We are talking about color, not texture. So yes, it is true.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I would guess that they care, since it seems like they have tried some “fixes” (that apparently didn’t work for everyone.)

I don’t know much about this, but is there a particular color scheme or set of colors that work best for people who are colorblind? If there is then you can post it in the suggestions. I know black would probably not work for people who aren’t color blind, but maybe a three layer circle, black, red, black.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

They already changed AoE circles from a thin red line that had what looked like heart monster lines to a super thick obnoxious red circle.

Behellagh.1468

They already changed AoE circles from a thin red line that had what looked like heart monster lines to a super thick obnoxious red circle.

Turning a thin line of color A that can’t be distinguished from the background in color B by some into a thick line of color A on a background of color B doesn’t solve the problem does it? It’s not that the line was too thin to see.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Being able to customise our interface colours would be nice for everyone.

The changes did help some people, so they are at least working on it

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

Giving players the option to change the aoe circles would be a nice change even for non color blind people.

tuckc.3975

I would guess that they care, since it seems like they have tried some “fixes” (that apparently didn’t work for everyone.)

I don’t know much about this, but is there a particular color scheme or set of colors that work best for people who are colorblind? If there is then you can post it in the suggestions. I know black would probably not work for people who aren’t color blind, but maybe a three layer circle, black, red, black.

Yellow and blue works great for me in BF3 color blind mode. I think that would be just fine.

edit: not sure if its actually yellow and blue in BF3, but to me it is.

Posted by: Vodac.9742

Vodac.9742

I love how a lot of these topic titles read like tabloid magazine headlines….

“George Clooney buys Honda! Anti-American? Stunning details inside!”

I do not, at all, think ANet purposely disregard colorblind players. As mentioned before, it probably slipped some minds at ANet. This is a game with a lot of holes in its ship, and right now they probably have some items on the development list lower than others. In the same breath, with every update they add more and more graphical options and changes (WvW specific player detail and rendering, effect optimization and editing), and it will most likely be added into the game at some point….especially if topics like this bring it to light.

And also to the idea that due to other topics being about this in the past as proof that it is being ignored….you would notice that most of those posts were made in the “Suggestion” area of the forums….where honestly not a lot of eyes enter. Count the amount of unreplied topics in there within the first 3 pages.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Turning a thin line of color A that can’t be distinguished from the background in color B by some into a thick line of color A on a background of color B doesn’t solve the problem does it? It’s not that the line was too thin to see.

It solved it for me, and I’m colorblind. Because they didn’t just change the thickness of it, they animated it too. It moves, like a small flame wall…and that I can see.

Behellagh.1468

It solved it for me, and I’m colorblind. Because they didn’t just change the thickness of it, they animated it too. It moves, like a small flame wall…and that I can see.

Right, they did more than just made it thick.

For those who aren’t color blind, sites like this can show you what the color blind see by feeding it a screenshot and selecting a type of color blindness.

http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vetch.6307

Vetch.6307

I know lots of people are much happier with the newer AoE circle changes, and that’s good! If it helps, it helps.

However, with my spectrum of red-green deficiency I found that the hostile AoE circles were actually more visible before they changed and animated them. The colour has become far more faint in my spectrum. I can’t see the animated type properly against a lot of red/brown and some green backgrounds. Kinda annoying I must admit.

A colour change option of some sort for AoE circles would be nice as currently, whilst nowhere near game breaking, it can be frustrating to be unable to see the red circles in a game in which around fifty percent of the combat largely revolves around dodging red circles.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

TF2, as always

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Behellagh.1468

And it doesn’t need color blind mode, just choosing color pairs that still contrast when filtered to simulate the various forms of color blindness. It’s not undoable, just infrequently done when choosing color pallets.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Giving players the option to change the aoe circles would be a nice change even for non color blind people.

That would be a most excellent solution to avoid these issues.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

And it doesn’t need color blind mode, just choosing color pairs that still contrast when filtered to simulate the various forms of color blindness. It’s not undoable, just infrequently done when choosing color pallets.

That’s because they are pallets that are most contrasting to the human eye and therefore the best for choosing good/bad differentiation. Ultimately they are going to choose what works best for the most people.

Its the same reason traffic lights use the classic red/green instead of green and blue or some other color combo.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Well out of the few games that I currently play (you’ve probably never heard of them): Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, World of Tanks.

Not sure why that matters though…

It’s interesting because I’ve played most of those games and had no idea that any of them had a colourblind mode. I don’t think very many people who aren’t colourblind have very much awareness of the issue, at all.

That’s why it matters that you point out that these massive and significant games have addressed the issue.