Do unidentified dyes still drop?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: osuracnaes.4930

osuracnaes.4930

I came back a few weeks ago after a several months long break and finished a couple starting zones with some new characters. Much to my horror and dismay, I noticed I didn’t find a single unidentified dye! I remember starting new characters shortly after release and sometimes I’d get a few before hitting level 10.

Did they seriously reduce the drop rate for these? Or is it just RNG hating on me, as usual?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

RNG I’m afriad. I still get a healthy supply. Many have reported bad luck as you have, many have reported great luck. But. there’s no eveidence of a nerf

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I came back a few weeks ago after a several months long break and finished a couple starting zones with some new characters. Much to my horror and dismay, I noticed I didn’t find a single unidentified dye! I remember starting new characters shortly after release and sometimes I’d get a few before hitting level 10.

Did they seriously reduce the drop rate for these? Or is it just RNG hating on me, as usual?

Rolled a new Ele the other night…got about 3 from lvl 1-4 from drops…so yes, they do drop…

osuracnaes.4930

Cool – thanks for the replies.

Now I just have to figure out what I can sacrifice to the RNG gods to get them to stop tormenting me so.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I usually get 1-2 per day, sometimes when lucky 5-6 in a day. I usually play about 2 hours a day; but, of course, sometimes more.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I get like 5-6 a MONTH! Curse you RNG!!! CURSE YOOOOUUUU!!!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

osuracnaes.4930

I usually get 1-2 per day, sometimes when lucky 5-6 in a day. I usually play about 2 hours a day; but, of course, sometimes more.

That’s what I remember getting several months ago. My two most recent characters are both at 20 now… 100% completed the Asura and Sylvari zones. Not a single dye found in either of them. It was just such a drastic change from what I was used to I found it hard to believe it was all RNG.

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

People say its more important to be healthy then lucky. Those people never realize that Titanic was full of healthy people XD. WE NEED LUCK BUT WE LACK IT

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

people will come and say no, then others will come and say i have tons, then others will come and say rng

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

They absolutely still drop. My experience is that they seem to drop more often for lower level characters in lower level areas.

osuracnaes.4930

My experience is that they seem to drop more often for lower level characters in lower level areas.

Now why would you do that to me? Now I’m all depressed that I’ll be seeing them less often than never.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, if it’s any consolation, I only use high level characters.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

oooo haven’t see one of these threads in a while lol. Yes, they do. I get a few a day anywhere between 2-6 but varies. Has a lot to do with time, but that part you have to figure out :P

Also I believe it was said by devs that lower levels have a small advantage for loot. Not sure where that post is though..

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

I rarely get one. Maybe 3-4 at week. But garbage color anyway ao I pretend the drop is low. Have never get a black dye yet.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I’ve gotten four in the last 24 hours.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

I cant say an exact number, but id guess its about right for the RNG Rate. I get it sometimes, rarely, but sometimes enough to notice it.

Also, anyone remembmer when the patch bugged the rates and they dropped like hotcakes? Ahhh days at Champless Cursed Shore farming UNID Dye, having the UNID Dye be 2s on TP, wondering if it will skyrocket. I was soo naive :c

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

About 3 to 5 a week I’d say.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Jackrabbit.2079

Jackrabbit.2079

I get 2 or 3 a day but they always come from harvesting nodes

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

i get like 10 a day i think. You know what doesn’t drop, freaking BLACK LION KEYS. Seriously, i got like 2 keys in a month. back in september they dropped a few times A DAY… I GOT 300 BLACK LION CHESTS… hmmm gonna make a post about it.

Posted by: derekshreds.5394

derekshreds.5394

The drop rate was nerfed about 10x a month or two after launch.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

don’t wear MF gear and you will get more UNID’s…why? They are a white quality item…MF increases chances of item drops to be of higher quality. This is my theory ,anyways, after wondering why I got tons of dyes while leveling but very few at 80. For me personally, my theory has proven to be “correct.”

(edited by azurrei.5691)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

They do seem to drop more often in low level areas. also from gathering low level plants. when I wander around these areas I find like 1-2 per hour. I just don’t go there often…

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I usually get a couple a day. Got Abyss from a moa in wayfarer earlier.

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Pro tip. On average I drop a few a day sometimes up to 10. I get the most drops from harvesting! Just an hour ago I got a midnight ice drop worth 9k from a verdant herb patch in WvW. Mobs rarely drop them.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Maybe you already have your answer but in my case, I can play for months without a single UDs and sometimes, I just play for few minutes and I get 5 or 6 UDs (generally, this last for 2 or 3 days and then again, no drops at all).

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

1/ day or 1/2 days that`s my average.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Got four again yesterday.. purple ice was about the best of them though.. no rare ones for a few days and a few “oh not that one again” drops but can’t complain, they still seem to drop pretty consistently… carrots and flies FTW

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Yes, I’ve gotten several of them.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I got one last night, if that helps.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I get 2 or 3 every couple of days, usually I’ll sell just one and use the rest.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’d say I get at least 3 a day.
In the past they have inadvertently both nerfed and buffed the drop rates of dyes, but as of now the rate seems quite consistent.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I got 2 on my new warrior between level 1-10. RNG is a fickle dame.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I got Celestial last night (I open all of them, lol)…worth 10 gold..sell or use…sell or use??…

I used it. Just looks too cool.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: The Blind Man.3642

The Blind Man.3642

RNG I’m afriad.

This right here is beginning to kitten me off. "RNG this". "RNG that". What the hell do you guys want Anet to do? Guarantee every spark element drops a charged lodestone? Every champion is guaranteed to drop an pre-cursor? People kitten and complain about the weirdest kitten. Just because this game caters to the casuals does NOT mean every drop should be handed to you. You still have to invest time to get drops.

I’ve never heard of any other RPG get complaints about "RNG" (well besides Aion, but that’s because theirs truly was brutal). Drops HAVE to run off of RNG or the market would be flooded with so many items you all would be complaining about too much supply and no way to make money off your drops.

Yak’s Bend Commander

Posted by: JudgeD.5673

JudgeD.5673

Went farming in Southsun this morning for about an hour. The end result was 6 karka shells, 1 unid dye, 11 passion fruits, and 2 t5 blood. I get about 5-6 unid dyes a week on average, even from WvW drops, so I dunno…

The Robertsons – Julie, Lyana, Adrian, and Lewis
CrSy/LaWz
Tarnished Coast Server (formerly of Kaineng)

osuracnaes.4930

RNG I’m afriad.

This right here is beginning to kitten me off. “RNG this”. “RNG that”. What the hell do you guys want Anet to do?

Guaranteed celestial and abyss dyes off of EVERY mob! And a pony!

Geeze…. I just wanted to see if it actually was a couple-week-long stint of RNG hating me. I didn’t mean to upset you to the point of bringing kittens into the conversation. I hate cats.

Posted by: shypht.3967

shypht.3967

They drop,

I just started playing the game a week or two ago – I’ve had several drop, one ended up being an Abyss dye – decided to sell it, and it’s been funding my character rather nicely so far nice not to have any money worries while leveling up.

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

They drop. I got 5 yesterday in Orr in less than an hour. It helps that I had around 200mf

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

Def still dropping … not sure what a black bear was doing with one, but he dropped it, and that was only one of the three I picked up last night.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Def still dropping … not sure what a black bear was doing with one, but he dropped it, and that was only one of the three I picked up last night.

The Bear must have eaten some artist who was painting or collecting plants for dyes.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

The Bear must have eaten some artist who was painting or collecting plants for dyes.

Certainly explains that while no matter how visually stunning the lands ofTyria are, you don’t encounter artists out painting landscapes … the bears eat them all.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

I’ve been getting tons of unidentified dyes lately!

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Chrispytoast.3698

Chrispytoast.3698

I seem to get more when playing on low level characters as compared to my 80. On my 80 I get maybe 1-2 a month where on my lower level characters it is more like 1-2 a week

Save the orphans of Divinity’s Reach
Send Gold to: Chrispytoast

osuracnaes.4930

Ok, you can all stop making me feel bad that I haven’t seen any for a few weeks now. I think my question has been answered.

:P

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I got 3 two nights ago doing the MF in one run. I generally get 2 or more per week.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

They still seem to drop pretty often for me. One or two every other day as drops, and then more commonly from harvesting plants.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

don’t wear MF gear and you will get more UNID’s…why? They are a white quality item…MF increases chances of item drops to be of higher quality. This is my theory ,anyways, after wondering why I got tons of dyes while leveling but very few at 80. For me personally, my theory has proven to be “correct.”

I’ve been thinking the same for a while but only got around to testing that last night. I was killing dredges with a friend for Heavy Miner’s Bags which are also white. I have 119% MF, friend has 180ish MF. I ended up with 77 bags while friend ended up with 98. The other thing to consider is that there is still a tier below white(common).

Also got 3 unidentified dyes while doing that. :P

In the case of unidentified dyes the difference in “drop” rates can also come from how diligent you are about harvesting plants. I’ve also noticed that I seem to get more unidentified dyes with lower level characters BUT I also know I tend to be more diligent about harvesting every plant(and mining every ore and chopping every tree) while I am leveling than when I am running around with a level 80. After realizing that I now harvest plants the same way on every character and the drop rates seems to be about the same as with the low level characters.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

From personal exp, they seem to drop a lot in lower level areas and I get quite a few from harvesting veggies/plants. They don’t seem to drop as often in higher level areas, I’d say lvl 40+ areas. I do get a few here and there in but just not as often while traversing basically starter areas.