Do you ever go back to gw?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

I do sometimes go back to the original gw with all its expansions, as I have yet to beat the last campaign, NF, What about you guys, do you ever go back? if so why?

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I can’t.

Despite the many things I love about GW1, GW2 just improves upon it in so many little ways. It’s hard to go back.

It has a special place in my heart though.

Salacious.7358

while gw2 is amazing I find it interesting to go back and play a mesmer after playing one in gw2

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I go back to check my characters’ birthdays (I still want a Margonite tonic), but otherwise no. GW2 is too huge an improvement for me.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Highlander.9860

Highlander.9860

did that to-day when gw2 servers were down and helped a few guys in missions was still fun for me

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

I go back about once a week if I can. I am still working on titles there and finishing out the hall of monuments if I can. I want all the mini-pets that you can get from that in GW2.

Hjorje

Salacious.7358

Do you guys think they will ever shut down the gw servers?

Hjorje.9453

I think they will at some point, but I bet that will be years down the road. Nothing anytime soon.

Hjorje

Salacious.7358

what do you think will happen with all our characters and stuff? I mean some of us worked super duper hard to get what we got

Hjorje.9453

That I don’t know. I think it is like a lot of other games that run their course. The one saving grace about GW is that the way it was designed you really didn’t have servers you played on like here. Now I know there are servers. So I think it would be easy for them to keep the server one for a long time. They may be able to keep it going the life of GW2. But once the time is up and they shut it down, we will lose everything that is my guess.

Hjorje

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

what do you think will happen with all our characters and stuff? I mean some of us worked super duper hard to get what we got

Well… A-net being A-net, they’d probably go out with a bang, perhaps with a special in game item/title/ect. for GW2. As far as the original question… I plan to, but realize that I don’t even have the time to do everything I want to in GW2 thanks to real life. I’m enough of a lore junkie to eventually start a new character in each of the expansions, eventually. Have to buy new character slots for that though…

Salacious.7358

What do you like about the lore in gw1 as opposed to how things have changed in gw2?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Same thing that happened with all the heroes and villains over in Paragon City/the Rogue Isles. Poof! Gone.

To answer the OP question, yes, on occasion. I logged in for a short while during the Cantha New Year festival – got two celestial minis. Yay. The last time I played extensively, though, was summer of 2009. It was a bad time for me and GW was a welcome distraction. I’ve played many other online games since then and while I do enjoy GW2 I wish it felt more like a homecoming. If ya get what I mean.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

I have a really hard time re-adjusting. When I go back now, I have to keep reminding myself that I can’t jump, I can’t attack while moving, the skills work differently, and the gold in GW1 is not the gold in GW2 (I keep going into my inventory and go “I’M RICH— oh, wait…”).

I go back primarily to try to get HoM points, attempts that usually end in a matter of minutes when I realize the sheer amount of time and gold I’d have to spend to do so is, quite frankly, not really all that worth it. Sadly, I did have at least one character way back that had enough stuff to contribute at least a decent amount of HoM points, but who I deleted for reasons that were later nullified by an update.

Secondarily, I go back to do the missions I didn’t get around to doing, and at least in Nightfall, I have to say the writing and voice acting are pretty darn impressive. Even with the character model limitations, there’s a certain depth and edginess that nearly all of the major characters exude that is unfortunately absent in the audition-like exchanges between most of the GW2 characters (as awesome or as funny as some of those may be).

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I go back for presents on characters when they hit a birthday, special events and when I’m missing a dedicated rotating compass with a proper aggro circle and dots representing exactly what is where on that compass: something GW2 sadly misses out on.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

My character has completed all of the campaigns plus the HOM, so there is absolutely no need to go back to GW1.
I actually prefer GW2 to GW1

However, there are a signicant number of my guildmates that went back to GW1 because they preferred it to GW2.

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

I’ve been considering installing GW1 on my new machine. I miss the old armors. And because I never played it on a good gaming rig, I never got to see the game look the way it’s supposed to.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

on rare occasions when i have access to play guild wars 1 but not guild wars 2 then yes.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i can’t. im a huge graphics * so that’s one reason. but, also, everything feels so kitten slow (combat wise) that its like playing a game a gen behind its competition. But the main reason i don’t and won’t come back to gw1 is because there’s nothing new for me to do and since pretty much all elite areas are empty, even if you do want to come back and run some Urgoz, you can’t.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

If I have time, I login to a PreSearing character and get Gifts and do the daily Quest, got the mesmer/ranger up to rank 15 now (very, VERY slowly over more than a year after creation). One day, one far off day, I will get the Eternal Defender of Ascalon title and perhaps Party Animal, Drunkard, and Sweet Tooth.

I still can’t jump! >.>
….which prompts me to play GW2 so i can jump or DCUO so i can fly.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

GW1 was way better than GW2. You actually needed team synergy. I miss playing in a team, having a certain roll that was verry important in dungeons. GW2, pick random people just run around in the dungeon, press some dmg buttons. GG we did it → reward: tokens → repeat-repeat-repeat → buy something.

If gw1 didn’t exist. And it would launch today, it would be the freak’n revolution of mmo’s. Still, anet can’t see it, they rather make a WoW world for casual people.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I still log in from time to time. It’s just as fun as it was before, though it’s a bit less crowded. Working on my drunkard title since I already have Party animal and Sweet tooth.

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

I pop back now and then. I miss my Monk. I also want more from my Legacy.

Posted by: Amria.2461

Amria.2461

I login to check for birthday presents maybe once or twice a month, but other than that, I’ve played it to death already. I really have no desire to go back.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

After 50/50 and GWAMM I don’t have much reason anymore to do so. I sometimes want to play FoW once more but … I just can’t stand the slow combat and rooted casting anymore. I can’t stand how the only half decent builds are cookie cutters with no variety.
I love how GW2 gives you at least a functional and synergized build with your weapons, leaving the utility for personal choice.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Do you guys think they will ever shut down the gw servers?

It’s still on the shelves, so it couldn’t be in the next 2-3 years.

I have logged on GW 1 but not really played much

(edited by frans.8092)

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

Not really, but I sure hope they never shut it down. I personally consider it one of the greatest games ever, and it would be a great loss if it disappeared, even if no one plays it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I go back every so often because I never finished all the things I wanted to do in that game.

At the moment I’m mainly focused on finishing prophecies missions and levelling my roller-beetle on my pet ranger.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

I still need 3 points for my HoM so I do go back from time to time. It’s a very enjoyable game rich with lore and surprises.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Yup, I even got my ranger a new pet and it’s soooooo cute

I always check for updates and do the special events so I don’t miss out on the cool stuff

Attachments:

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve only been back to check for birthday presents, though the last time I was back, I decided to see if I could still run a dungeon in hard mode. I went into Sparkfly swamp and run over to Bloodstone caves, killing raptors and angorodons along the way. I still had it!

Then I got into the dungeon and realized I couldn’t start it, because I’d forgotten to take the quest in Gadd’s Encampment. I was so annoyed. lmao

So I closed the game down and haven’t been back since. That’s one thing I won’t miss from GW 1. lol

Posted by: Nemisis.4690

Nemisis.4690

i wish i could, have not been able to for months due to password/account issues that are to this day unresolved…

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Yes, actually a lot. I am currently leveling an Ele in Pre then will be playing through Prophecies again just for fun.

Posted by: Lady Vireo.5189

Lady Vireo.5189

I’ve never stopped playing GW1. Like others have said here, I had tons of fun during Canthan New Year getting the new ranger pet and collecting Celestial minis. I also finally managed to locate and buy an undedicated mini Yakkington, which has been one of my goals forever. <3 He is so squee! As long as there are no mini dolyaks in GW2, I will have to keep playing the original.

Really though, my reason is mainly that my love for the first game is still there. After spending so many years and thousands of hours, it would be too sad and nostalgiac if it was completely in the past. I prefer to keep the memories current. I’m lucky that the community aspect hasn’t changed for me, really. I always soloed a lot or played with only a few close friends/family members (they all still play GW1 too). I did everything solo with heroes/henchman even when it was easy to find PUGs, lol. Or played it with my tiny group of best guildies.

Also, Cantha is my favorite continent, and there is no Cantha in GW2. So as long as that’s true, I will have no motivation to move on from GW1. Sometimes I just have to make myself feel better by visiting Old LA, Drok’s and all the other places that are underwater ruins and especially going back to Cantha, since it’s now been cut off. I need to see everything bustling and not destroyed and all our favorite characters not reduced to gravestones, otherwise GW2 gets me down. I adore the new game and agree that I’m sooo spoiled on the improved gameplay, but storywise I think they went a little overboard with the “everything you loved in the first game is GONE! Weep for the good old days!” Some people find that elegiac sort of lore very appealing, but what can I say, I’m sentimental like that and find it very sad.

A Dev has spoken:Cantha is definitely not cut from the game
Show your support for Cantha’s return in GW2! Please join us in the Cantha Thread.
Many thanks to Wooden Potatoes for his outstanding lore video, a real tribute to Cantha.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I do sometimes go back to the original gw with all its expansions, as I have yet to beat the last campaign, NF, What about you guys, do you ever go back? if so why?

Yes sometimes. I still have stuff I want to do to put in my HoM for more points.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Actually GW1 is much more of a game than GW2, almost superior in every way.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

i go back when i want to do balanced and varied pvp.

sadly i must agree gw1 was better design. more skills combos, seems like alot more content, 8 player groups, etc etc…the list goes on, it makes me sad to think about it.

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

I finished all of the content and got as far as I wanted in the HOM so there is no motivation for me to go back.

I agree, but it wasn’t when GW1 was released (ahhh, my youth). It took over a year or two before GW1 was the game it eventually was. I am cautiously optimistic we will see the same with GW2.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I finished all of the content and got as far as I wanted in the HOM so there is no motivation for me to go back.

I agree, but it wasn’t when GW1 was released (ahhh, my youth). It took over a year or two before GW1 was the game it eventually was. I am cautiously optimistic we will see the same with GW2.

Very much this. Prophecies by itself wasn’t Guild Wars 1. It took a long time for Guild Wars 1 to come into its own. The variety we talk about when we talk about Guild Wars 1 didn’t exist on launch. The amount of content didn’t exist.

When you compare Guild Wars 1 at launch to Guild Wars 2 at launch, it’s a completely different comparison. And Guild Wars 2 has a lot of advantages Guild Wars never had.

No matter how you slice it, not having a marketplace, not being able to jump, not being able to swim, these were all problems. Henchmen AI (there were no heroes at launch) was abysmal, and hard mode didn’t even exist.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people six months into Guild Wars 1 had many of the same complaints as they do about Guild Wars 2.