Do you find it hard to get past Level 30/40?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoris.5870

Zoris.5870

Q:

I’ve been playing this game casually and am finding it sort of hard to be interested in pursuing quests/whatever. Usually I get bored of the quests, or the uninteresting storyline and WVW is just a zergfest which is thoroughly unexplained.

I really like this game, but am finding a hard time to stay interested. Any ideas?

Posted by: TDude.8273

TDude.8273

A:

Zoris, you sound like you should take a break from playing. The only explanation for feeling like you both “really like the game” and feeling uninterested and bored is that you like the idea of the game. You’re hoping that the game will get more interesting as you get higher level, a common theme in the mmo’s you’ve played. GW2 doesn’t do that. The game doesn’t change much, so if you aren’t interested now then you won’t be interested in 10, 20, or 40 levels either.

Walk away from the game, think about the idea of the game, and come back later when you get inspired. Hopefully then you will enjoy your current progress.

Don’t play solely for the future.

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Got two level 80s and a level 28, so I guess not.

Zoris.5870

Thats crazy, been playing almost 3 weeks and only have a level 40 guardian, 20 warrior ><

any advice?

Posted by: Skoltnik.4361

Skoltnik.4361

yeah, well i’m on and off on characters…I usually get bored of a certain profession, when that happens ( this time, 1st character was mesmer, got boring at level 55) made a new one , played it until got bored ( 25) then made a 3rd one that is now lvl 8, and i’ve started playing my mesmer again yesterday and the spark came back.

I would say it’s normal that you get tired, but it will come back, just do other professions, or play other games, do something else. The spark always comes back sooner or later, for me anyways.

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

Find some DEs, try to do story quest 5 or so levels early (that extra xp can help with leveling). Run about maps and collect all waypoints etc.

Zoris.5870

Thanks. I’ve been focusing on melee classes too so many thats another thing… I’ve made a banner warrior/tank warrior as well as a tank guardian and such. So far it seems shields are more effective on a warrior than a guardian.

I’ll try to mix it up.

Posted by: Dow.5312

Dow.5312

Craft. Its as simple as that. I w ent from 35 to 46 in 30 mins.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have 2 80’s, three 40 somethings, and 3 lowers. So, no. The second 80 earned a lot of XP from crafting (jewelry) and doing dungeons with the guild. Three runs in a dungeon and gain almost two levels. The highest 40 has no craft and has only been in a dungeon once, so advancement for this character has "felt’ slower.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I am not sure what you are actually refering to as your thread title seems to imply something different than your post. Is it about losing interest in the game after you got to midlevel or do you actually consider the process of leveling up hard? In latter case, no, if anything, I find leveling in GW2 ridiculously easy and the game would probably benefit if leveling speed would be halved, so you stay occupied for longer till new content is added.

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

That’s only going to make things more boring…

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Are you doing all the dailies ? They’re quick to do, and there’s some sweet XP in finishing them all. I’m casual as hell too, one level 80 and two around 10-15 in over 250 hours played. Taking it slow has been the key for me to love GW2, I just log on and do what I want, without any focus on leveling, grinding mats or whatever. Just enjoying, you know, actually playing. Which might be puzzling in context of an MMO.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

A lot of xp can be had from dungeons. Agreed, not the easiest for casual players but you can learn and it becomes easier then. But you easily get half a level per dungeon.

Crafting gives a lot of xp, not my thing personally, but it does give a lot of xp. I never needed it.

WvW might be tricky to figure out but once you do and find some groups to tag along with, the events give lots of xp as well.

And then there is area completion. There are more areas of the same level range, so visit the other areas from other races. Also plenty of xp.

Daily. All the steps in the daily give a lot of xp bonuses.

All in all there is plenty of xp to go around, but you do have to figure a few things out here or there.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

The hardest (or what seems longest) grind for me was 45-50

Just do DE’s, events or grind above your level. Take XP boosters. Food or tonics from chests. Also, world exploration helps. Go to LA and portal to each of the cities and get all the completions for the city.

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

I’ve a level 80 Mesmer completely finished (full Cultural + Nightmare weapons) a level 45 thief and 45 Engineer. Think I’ll take my Engineer to cap next

Posted by: Overunity.4273

Overunity.4273

There is nothing at lvl 80 so just have fun doing what you enjoy ,basically work through your story and lvl 80 represents the level at which it is comfortable to finish it at .

Then you can experience another story on a second character and do some pvp or dungeons or craft or use you lvl 80 to make some currency or gear to help your family of alts .
Enjoy the levelling content because the level 80 stuff is mostly bugged or broken and stay that way for a long time ,there are events at 80 that stay unplayable for a week maybe more .
The final dungeon arah is currently closed .
One of the most reliable chains at 80 involving Plink is still broken after a week .
I think the posts pointing to these issues are mostly removed or quickly closed so I hope you read this.
Just enjoy the levelling because that is the game .

We just want to have fun

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

IME game play speeds up after 30. Kinda like real life
Especially for some professions.

Zoris.5870

I don’t understand how you could level from crafting unless you already have 3-4g from an 80 and your starting off with a level 1 character. That is quite a lot of crafting within 30 minutes…how are you pulling that off?

I am doing dailies, almost done monthly

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I don’t understand how you could level from crafting unless you already have 3-4g from an 80 and your starting off with a level 1 character. That is quite a lot of crafting within 30 minutes…how are you pulling that off?

I am doing dailies, almost done monthly

Crafting boosters help… Between the exp you get for gathering and exploring + the random event chain you might stumble into doing the latter. Once you hit the crafting table with a booster, you can do 5 levels pretty easy, 10 if you really spend the time gathering loot bags too. (bandits, ogres, etc.).

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

a good tip is always go to zones that are your level or a bit over your level. World completion is good and gives money and rewards but makes leveling take a long time.

Also change habitats as you get more exp killing things that you don’t normally kill. So one day level in a level 30 norn zone and the switch to a level 40 charr zone..

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Tbh, for me, the hardest part of leveling was 1-20. I haven’t touched PvP/WvW or crafting yet, only explored to hit 80.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: RobDaCool.5643

RobDaCool.5643

Haven’t made it to level 20 yet. Maybe the “two expansions full of leveling” is a bit intimidating for someone who’s last MMO was 7 years ago lol

Intell 8088 @ 7.14Mhz | 604K RAM | TCGA 16 Color graphics | TWO 5.25" 640K Floppy drives

Posted by: FatalQuin.3057

FatalQuin.3057

I don’t know, are you going back to low level areas in other zones and trying to clear the map? I don’t really have much of a problem leveling more so cause but the time I hit 30 I am trying to hit up every zone I can, high or low level to get the skill points and other things along the way, but like someone else said, crafting VERY much helps too!

Zoris.5870

I’ve been playing DCUO ( have a capped player there ), played WoW and a bunch of other expansive MMO’s and I find myself hitting a wall of loss interest specifically in GW2… mind you I don’t play the other MMOs now just this one. I’ll try different techniques to get through it though.

Did you say you solely explored to level from 20-80? That’s incredible.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

To be honest, leveling is actually rather easy. I went up very fast with Ms. Sayaka by completing many maps and participating in DEs (not even farming them.) I started crafting by level 72, so I didn’t even get crating help to level up to my last levels. And IME, and ironically enough, the higher your levels, the “easier” it is to keep leveling (probably just perception, but I find going from 1-30 slightly slower than say, 60-80). Storyline helps leveling greatly too, but again, I started following my storyline seriously AFTER level 70, which means I got many, many levels just through adventuring. I wasn’t 80 right away, but probably after roughly two weeks-I didn’t play 12 hours per day either, so I think I leveled rather quick (although some people’s “quick” may be quicker than mine, of course.)

In short, leveling is easy and natural-the important thing is that you are having fun, so that whether it takes 3 days to 80 or 3 years, it doesn’t matter that much. If you are not having fun, and it’s a chore, then perhaps you should revise your approach, or simply choose a more fitting game to your personality/taste. I reember that I did want to level to 80 in order to reap the full benefits of my traits, but I didn’t care that much since I was (and am) having fun exploring this new, old world once more.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Did you say you solely explored to level from 20-80? That’s incredible.

Yes, you will hit 80 around 80% World Completion and you don’t even need to enter the region of Orr. Which leaves 3 maps to explore(and WvW if you didn’t do it) for whenever you will want to do something new. While exploring, always do the DEs nearby. 80% is if you don’t do any WvW, crafting or dungeons.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

What’s excellent about Guild Wars 2 PvE is the content and the events up to level cap and they work best at the level for which they are designed. Not sure why one would want to try and avoid the content by outlevelling it, unless you just want to level up a character for WvW. As someone mentioned previously, levelling is really too quick, since you get to level 80 having missed doing most of the content.

Pretty weird to work for 5 years on a huge amount of content and then allow everyone to miss it out and get to level cap in a few weeks. Not sure how that happened!?

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

It depends on your class, really.

With my warrior (first character) leveling was fast untill level 60 or so. Ofcourse, I always updated my weapon with the best DPS I could, but I killed pretty much everything easy with the signet build.

It slowed down around 60, so I leveled to 70 and then paid about 2g for crafting materiels to level art from 0 to 400 and got to level 80.

All in all, the leveling was pretty easy.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

First character not at all, could hardly stop playing until I got 80 and enjoyed every minute of it. Struggling to find the motivation to level any alts past 20 though. I want to, want them to play at 80 but just the bit in between… can’t be bothered.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Once you get high enough to farm the Kol chain you can do that until you are high enough to farm @ Astrozintli Forelands in Sparkfly Fen (doing the dragon every few hours too).

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Greencactaur.4396

Greencactaur.4396

Crafting is probably the fastest way from 1-80… lol it gives so much XP, but I decide to just do the zones. Funny enough I find 1-15 being the hardest, and then after that its just smooth.

Posted by: Zolpidem.2851

Zolpidem.2851

I got to L80 pretty fast completing maps – the added plus being getting goodies at the end for doint that

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

Actually it has become a lot more interesting after 30 because of dungeons.

Also I feel like I’m leveling faster, probably also because of dungeons.

Posted by: RaoZaoku.5289

RaoZaoku.5289

Getting to 35 was a pain in the kitten but after that each dungeon run gave me 1-2 levels.

Zoris.5870

[i]Zoris, you sound like you should take a break from playing. The only explanation for feeling like you both “really like the game” and feeling uninterested and bored is that you like the idea of the game. You’re hoping that the game will get more interesting as you get higher level, a common theme in the mmo’s you’ve played. GW2 doesn’t do that. The game doesn’t change much, so if you aren’t interested now then you won’t be interested in 10, 20, or 40 levels either.

Walk away from the game, think about the idea of the game, and come back later when you get inspired. Hopefully then you will enjoy your current progress.

Don’t play solely for the future.[/i]

This is a very good point. Although I don’t play the game religiously or more than 4hours a day, I do understand that sometimes hoping for the best and experiencing the best are two great separate things on itself.

For now, I have been partaking in SPVP matches and finding several builds within a character that I had simply overlooked.

Thank you for the advice

Posted by: The LZ.7891

The LZ.7891

WvW is unexplained? There’s a guy who will explain it to you on the maps.
If that’s what you meant.

Posted by: flyinpiranha.2580

flyinpiranha.2580

I think there is a slump in that range as I wasn’t too motivated. It’s almost like a race that you start off with a sprint and then start slowing down IMO. I just started doing WvW (there is a trainer that explains it and also many people are yelling directions – plus you can read up on it online) and leveled from 35-45+ in there. And sPVP (even though this doesn’t level you) it can provide variety. (edit: I see you are doing sPVP – that is good, it will help you in WvW and basic gameplay understanding)

The hardest part that I had to understand is that I was in control, not my quest log.

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

Leveled my character solely by exploring the maps in their level order (e.g. I wouldn’t move to a 15-25 map until all the 1-15 maps were 100% complete). I was around level 40 when I was ready to move on to the level 25+ fields.

Downside is that you’ll be downleveled pretty much all the time (you catch up with that at around level 60), but I found map completion a much more fun goal to work towards than just scavenging maps for XP.

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray