Do you miss hardmode/vanquish ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I freakin miss this , would it be so hard to add 5 man vanquish map of gw2 ? all mobs > vets all vets > champs with exclusive rewards n titles ?

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The GW Hard Mode worked solely because the maps were all proprietary instances. The GW2 maps are not. Mobs respawn, for one thing. Other players are there.

If they made a “hard mode” map copy, they’d have to convert the server architecture to spawn separate, zone-wide copies for every player/group that wanted to access them. I don’t know how hard this would be, or how much server bandwidth would be required. I do know that GW HM took a fair bit of developer resources to produce and suspect that doing this for GW2 would require more, maybe a lot more.

I also know, because Anet stated it, that they had no plans to implement Hard Mode in GW2. For one thing, the game design — based on large group content — is dependent on having enough players around to do these events. So, ANet is reluctant to do too many things that would split the player-base.

And, yeah, HM in GW was enjoyable. Also, it’s still there.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I freakin miss this , would it be so hard to add 5 man vanquish map of gw2 ? all mobs > vets all vets > champs with exclusive rewards n titles ?

I don’t miss it at all — I felt that vanquishing was one of the most tedious and least rewarding things to do in GW1 (more interesting in hardmode to be sure).

However, how would it even be possible to do in GW2? The open world is designed to be open to everyone — it’s an MMO; GW1 was a minimally multiplayer game. I’m not opposed to games that have things like 5-person map clearing content — it could be fun; GW2 just isn’t one of those games.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: kins.3294

kins.3294

Yes, but the way that GW2 is constructed (no trinity) this would be impossible to begin with. Also there is no instanced map so mobs keep respawning

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The only way I can see a vanquish mode possible is if it were during story mode missions. Though, that’s spending resources on old content when we’re all waiting for new content, so unlikely to happen either way.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Would be largely unworkable given the set up of the game and the collaborative open world ethos behind it. Also, I remember hard mode was not well received across the board in GW1 when it first arrived – it (for a while) created just as much drama as anything negative in GW2 has.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

Yes. They could easily add these to dungeons but not open world. I really miss the named bosses which added some flair to the lore of the game. Their unique drops and bounty rewards were also nice. I know there are guild bounties, but the flavor gets muddled with all the fancy, shiny effects of a zerg converging on one solitary figure.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah I miss it, and when I miss it enough, I go play it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I could see vanquishing acieements added to dungeons, but not to a shared open world.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Sure, on occasion I miss it…. and then I go log into GW1 and play it, for hard mode anyway. Vanquishing on the other hand… finding that one or two missing critters are sometimes so frustrating. So, I rarely do that particular chore.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

I would love hard mode dungeons

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I guess they could do a hard mode personal story without too much effort. The map instances and quests already exist so they could just scale the damage/mobs/healing as appropriate.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

They could somewhat easily implement a new group of “fractals” for this purpose. It would be a limited number of maps that you enter as a party. But by their nature they are instanced maps where Anet could keep the mobs from respawning, so it would be perfect for such a mode.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

I don’t miss it at all — I felt that vanquishing was one of the most tedious and least rewarding things to do in GW1 (more interesting in hardmode to be sure).

When you are constantly dead for any minor reason of course it is going to seem least profitable .-.

It’s not possible not just because of the open world aspect but because of players’ inabilities as well. They would get slaughtered and then whine until the mode got nerfed. Just look at the salt spilled from the addition of raids.

I do miss that mode though.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

They could somewhat easily implement a new group of “fractals” for this purpose. It would be a limited number of maps that you enter as a party. But by their nature they are instanced maps where Anet could keep the mobs from respawning, so it would be perfect for such a mode.

Uhh, maybe. How long has it taken them to implement 1 new fractal? Two years now? More?

The more I think of it, hard mode/vanquishing in dungeons will really only work with new AI. Mobs are stupid. It would be nice to see some scattering, evading, flanking, more intelligent AI. I thought they were working on that before HoT, (that build a better centaur thing) haven’t really heard if that was actually implemented into HoT.

Since dungeons are supposedly abandoned by dev team and they are “all-hands on deck” for the next xpac. I can’t see them ever implementing this. Shame because I really feel there’s a niche for that with the community and add more difficulty to already existing content.

However, with their track record it would probably be too much a chore for players to bother and very little reward to justify the effort.

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

On one hand, yes, I miss it.
On the other hand, not so much.
I prefer the GW2 open world to the easy/hard instance of GW.
Besides, one could argue, that ANet did add a hard mode with HoT.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I miss a lot of things from GW1… :\

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Uhh, maybe. How long has it taken them to implement 1 new fractal? Two years now? More?

The more I think of it, hard mode/vanquishing in dungeons will really only work with new AI. Mobs are stupid. It would be nice to see some scattering, evading, flanking, more intelligent AI. I thought they were working on that before HoT, (that build a better centaur thing) haven’t really heard if that was actually implemented into HoT.

Since dungeons are supposedly abandoned by dev team and they are “all-hands on deck” for the next xpac. I can’t see them ever implementing this. Shame because I really feel there’s a niche for that with the community and add more difficulty to already existing content.

However, with their track record it would probably be too much a chore for players to bother and very little reward to justify the effort.

Just because they haven’t put out a fractal in 2 years doesn’t mean it takes them 2 years to make a new one. The system for instanced maps that you can enter either solo or with a party and have tougher than regular mobs already exists, and its simple for ANet to set the maps so that nothing revives, only the mobs that are there at start or spawn as an ambush when you enter an area would exist. That system is already in place, so it would not be that much work to make a new “fractal” that has the same skin as a portion of an existing map and serves as this vanquish ground where you have to kill everything.

And mobs in HoT do use the new AI. Its not that easy to notice if you don’t look for it, but the way they fight is much more intelligent than central tyria mobs

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Good luck searching for that one random neutral mob hidden a corner somewhere underwater …

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Do I miss hardmode? Not really. There are some instances in Living World that have this in order to gain certain achievements. But I could honestly do without them.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I miss hardmode vanquishing from GW1 for sure. This turned every map into its own special dungeon-like experience and kept me and many people of my guild busy for a few years.

Unfortunately, it’s incompatible with the open world maps we have in GW2.

Even if you create personal vanquish instances, the maps are far too big to vanquish them in 1-2 hours. The enemy KI is much too simple to lead to interesting fights where you have to “break” the enemy mob group. Vanquishing would probably be boring. In GW1, the mobs were interesting and self-contained groups with different team builds, while in GW2 the mobs are simply canon fodder with only 1 or 2 damage skills and more or less hitpoints.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I don’t miss the vanquishing per se (I can go back to GW1 to scratch that itch) but I do miss the difficulty of HM. Probably why I didn’t mewl and howl when HoT came out and prefer the difficulty there over the faceroll of Central Tyria. All I hope is they don’t backtrack in terms of difficulty on the new expansion.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”