Does Anet ever punish trolls?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dreadful.2860

Dreadful.2860

Just wondering does Anet ever punish trolls? Because after seeing many of the same trolls over and over. I’m just curious if they’ve ever actually done something about the people being kittenes in wvw and pve.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They would have to be breaking TOS. If they are annoying you but not doing anything against the rules, then I don’t think so.

Posted by: Dreadful.2860

Dreadful.2860

They would have to be breaking TOS. If they are annoying you but not doing anything against the rules, then I don’t think so.

That’s what I figured, maybe one day they’ll give us invite only maps or change future world bosses. Because right now single person being able to mess up a fight on purpose that takes 120 people working together. With no chance of punishment seems really strange to me.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That’s what I figured, maybe one day they’ll give us invite only maps or change future world bosses. Because right now single person being able to mess up a fight on purpose that takes 120 people working together. With no chance of punishment seems really strange to me.

They won’t do invite-only maps unless they decide to scrap servers altogether and go back to “district X” or instanced world zones like with GW1.

. . . one of those is not going to happen.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Astral Projections.7320

It depends on what he is doing. ANet has everyone accept the rules of conduct. Unless they cross one of the rules, then ANet doesn’t have the “legal right”, as it were, to punish.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

It depends on what he is doing. ANet has everyone accept the rules of conduct. Unless they cross one of the rules, then ANet doesn’t have the “legal right”, as it were, to punish.

Anet has the legal right to do whatever the kitten they want. It’s their game.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Astral Projections.7320

Anet has the legal right to do whatever the kitten they want. It’s their game.

You notice I put legal right in quotes?

I meant there, they have rules they have to follow also and if they don’t then they could be hit with a lawsuit.

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

nah they just punish farmers :/

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

I’m curious about this as well. Just exactly what is A.Net’s official stance on trolls and doing things to intentionally upset other players.

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t think they’ve ever stated an official stance towards people annoying others, except that the people need to be breaking TOS to be reported. And that if you report someone who is not breaking TOS, it could be you who gets in trouble.

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

Excellent question @OP. I too would like to know ANet’s official policy on handling trolls. If ANet does not have any in place, then I will gladly take matters into my own hands, if these disruptive players interrupt my gameplay. (I’ve had enough experience dealing with trolls across several MMO/RTS games.)

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Please note, “taking matters into your own hands” may result in you being the one reported and acted against.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tyyphoon.5301

Please note, “taking matters into your own hands” may result in you being the one reported and acted against.

Not if its within ToS. No? That is what I understand from the recent threads going on in these forums.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Not if its within ToS. No? That is what I understand from the recent threads going on in these forums.

Are you willing to gamble on it with your account? Because I’m not sure premeditated disruption, intentionally premeditated disruption mind you, is within the ToS.

Tyyphoon.5301

Please note, "taking matters into your own hands" may result in *you* being the one reported and acted against.

Are you willing to gamble on it with your account? Because I’m not sure premeditated disruption, intentionally premeditated disruption mind you, is within the ToS.

If that was the case, we would have seen "known" grievous players banned already from game. Unfortunately, that is not the case, so it must be allowed -- logically speaking. And I will not divulge how I will take action. I am awaiting to see if ANet addresses this concern of myself and many fellow players who have experienced similiar foul behavior(s) in PvE/WvW worlds both. Please dont take me as foolish as you may perceive me to be.

(edited by Tyyphoon.5301)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

If that was the case, we would have seen “known” grievous players banned already from game. Unfortunately, that is not the case, so it must be allowed — logically speaking. And I will not divulge how I will take action. I am awaiting to see if ANet addresses this concern of myself and many fellow players who have experienced similiar foul behavior(s) in PvE/WvW worlds both. Please dont take me as foolish as you may perceive me to be.

Oh I don’t perceive you as foolish, otherwise I’d not have spoken up to you and just grabbed popcorn. I may do that anyway, as “counter-trolling” may be a very fun spectator sport.

Though I sneakily suspect ANet may see “counter-trolling” as “trolling” all the same and treat it as harshly if they do have a position against it.

Once more . . . try to adhere to “Wheaton’s Law”, people. Not GIFT.

Tyyphoon.5301

For those uninformed: Wheaton’s Law

I’m not familiar with the acronym "GIFT". Care to elucidate?

(edited by Tyyphoon.5301)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

For those uninformed: Wheaton’s Law

I’m not familiar with the acronym “GIFT”. Care to elucidate?

It’s from Penny Arcade, so . . . no, I’m not linking it here.

Tyyphoon.5301

All good, I found it:

"The Greater Internet kittenwad Theory (GIFT) is a postulate which asserts that normal, well-adjusted people may display psychopathic or antisocial behaviors when given both anonymity and a captive audience on the Internet."

ref: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/greater-internet-kittenwad-theory

Tobias Trueflight.8350

All good, I found it:

“The GIFT) is a postulate which asserts that normal, well-adjusted people may display psychopathic or antisocial behaviors when given both anonymity and a captive audience on the Internet.”

Yes. And I’m still not leaving the link up in the reply or using the full name of it.

And the thing is, it’s not exactly an unfounded thing in psychology. Start digging and you come up with similar . . . examples . . . of experiments. Tell someone they can do whatever they want to someone else, and they will never have it come back on them? I’m more surprised people are surprised by it.