Does Downed state need to be changed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Q:

I have read a few PVP threads suggested that downed state system be removed altogether or nerfed?

Your thoughts pls?

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Keniption.6103

Keniption.6103

I don’t think it needs to be removed as it’s pretty unique for an mmo and is part of what makes this one so different.

However the only part I find annoying is the one push/fear/port/etc ability every character has. Maybe limit that in spvp. I don’t want nerfs rather innovation.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Yes, either that or nerf it by a LOT. I mean having to kill the same person twice is annoying, even more so when they have skills that can interrupt your “FINISH” animation. Sure, you can try to kill them with attacks but if you both just finished fighting you probably don’t have enough HP to take the hits. Then the fight results in 2 people throwing rocks at each other on the ground and the person with the better downed skills wins.

EDIT: If it wasn’t obvious, I only want it removed/nerfed in PvP. PvE is fine with it, better actually.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I don’t think it needs to be removed as it’s pretty unique for an mmo and is part of what makes this one so different.

However the only part I find annoying is the one push/fear/port/etc ability every character has. Maybe limit that in spvp. I don’t want nerfs rather innovation.

Unfortunately every PVP suggestion w.r.t skills are not delinked from PvE.

Traits are though.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I don’t see why it should be removed. It’s not a guarantee of survival, just a chance of it. Plus it can sometimes be a little thrilling – “Am I going to make? Am I going to make? Maybe just a couple more rocks…YES!”

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Saraneth.6021

Saraneth.6021

You are not having to kill them twice. When they are downed they are still alive.

I say keep it in. Actually, not even sure why this question is being asked.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i also would like that pvp style would not define the whole game.
i’m tired of all the nerfing because of pvp

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I love the downed-state in PvE. Since we’re already acknowledged that SPvP is the minority of this game, no decision should be made on the basis of just SPvP.

In WvW, which has far less one on one battles, I welcome it. People need time to get in on the kill, or they lose out on badges.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

The downed state gives people a chanse for better group play, while a whole team might target you and down you fast.
So, I do love the feature and it can give you some very interesting outcomes which is great.

But, for sPvP I do think something needs to be altered, because if you compare the downed state abilities with each profession you will quickly find out that, that part is not balanced very well.

Posted by: Troj.7940

Troj.7940

I hate the downed state in PVP. It favours and rewards zerging like most mechanics in this game (even the new ranking system favours that also).

If I have a 1vX fight whilst outnumbered its fustrating as hell to have to kill the same person 3 times over. It’s even more annoying with 2-3 people outhealing your damage and not even fighting back until they have rezzed everyone your trying to kill (I try to use heal debuffs).

I do not believe this is skillful play nor shows any fantastic teamwork. Stealth rezzing and some downed abilities which stall you long enough makes stomping problematic.

Half a raid rallying off a random mob also needs looking at.
If people die they should not be able to be revived by people who are still in combat.

Come on people isn’t this logical?

Posted by: Digikid.7230

Digikid.7230

The only thing that irks me (apart from people rallying off trash mobs in WVW) is that downed abilities from the Mesmer,Thief and Elementalist are stronger than the other professions due to their number 2 ability being able to avoid all stomps- the other classes can be stomped with stability/stealth/invul stomped, while a Mesmer,Thief and Ele can stall out for at least 1 extra stomp- those extra seconds are crucial in fights and also allows you to put yourself out of harms way/next to an ally to be revived…. oh and the Eles downed state also allows him to pass through gates.
In short, Teleportation/Movement abilities as a #2 downed skill are far stronger than the others.

Some guy on a bunch of servers, mostly Mag
Former top 50 spvp engi main.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

IMO the downed state can stay, but it should be toned down considerably. Off the top of my head:

- Reduce damage to half or something. With trait you do WAY too much damage, hell sometimes more than when you where alive!
- Fix the cooldowns on some skills, Thief stealth most notably. You should get more than 2 seconds of visibility before they teleport again. Some weak skills should be buffed as well, such as the Engineer blast. Why is it on so long cooldown when the Guardian can use its identical skill instantly? It make no sense. Especially since the Guardians other skill is much more powerfull than the single target knockdown the Engineer can use instantly.
- Fix the EXPLOITS that exist with the downed skills. Elementalist mist form should not go through doors.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Leave it as is. Sweet Revenge is one of the most enjoyable traits in the game.

A little longer, a little longer, a little longer. Yes! I’m up! Die! Die! Die! Die! Yes! I’m alive!

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I like downed state, leave it as is.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

You are not having to kill them twice. When they are downed they are still alive.

I say keep it in. Actually, not even sure why this question is being asked.

I didn’t mean it literally because it’s VERY obvious they’re still alive, it’s just a stupid idea to keep this mechanic in PvP with the state it is in now.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

down stated is working as intended.

those people need to learn to play.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I think that both aquatic combat and downed skills need serious balance.

No, I would not remove it. However, some classes need it buffed. Or more utility.

Also, stealth killing downed people needs to go…and I play a thief.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Decked.8274

Decked.8274

I think that both aquatic combat and downed skills need serious balance.

No, I would not remove it. However, some classes need it buffed. Or more utility.

Also, stealth killing downed people needs to go…and I play a thief.

So… what about stability, mistform, elixir s and distortion stomping?

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

downed state in pvp has never really bothered me, i just place down a blind field or stealth and proceed to stomp them in the face

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

Yes, either that or nerf it by a LOT. I mean having to kill the same person twice is annoying, even more so when they have skills that can interrupt your “FINISH” animation. Sure, you can try to kill them with attacks but if you both just finished fighting you probably don’t have enough HP to take the hits. Then the fight results in 2 people throwing rocks at each other on the ground and the person with the better downed skills wins.

EDIT: If it wasn’t obvious, I only want it removed/nerfed in PvP. PvE is fine with it, better actually.

see: warrior’s vengeance. it is pretty much impossible to beat and actually finish a warrior 1v1. first, when you go to finish them, they throw the hammer at you, which knocks you down for like 2-3 sec and does damage. and they’re now throwing rocks at you. by the time you can start the stomp animation again you are on the ground and they just got vengeance.

CD

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Needs to be changed for Thief.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Not until I use up my snowman finishers.

Even then, I kind of like them.

None of them need nerfed or changed really.

Put a variety of finishers in the gem shop.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

down stated is working as intended.

those people need to learn to play.

What a meaningful contribution to the discussion.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

As a WvW roamer, downed state is terrible for us.
As an Engineer, downed state is terrible for us.

Group of 5,Flank a zerg, down 7-8 of them, but watch as the 30 of them insta rez the downed people.

Rezing killed people is also a pain. You can down and finish half a zerg, just the see the other half rezzing them all back on.

Only one player should be able to rez a downed player, and once perma killed, you shouldn’t be able to rez them. Well not in WvW.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

Posted by: Troj.7940

Troj.7940

I think those that zerg and never have to revive as they just get instantly rezzed over and over and continually farm the exp for new rank with no skill other than following everyone else and spamming aoes are happy with this mechanic. They have no need to learn to play (this is the majority of your userbase it seems, people are motivated by rewards not personal skillful play or accountability).

Those of us who like to roam or avoid the insane lag, duo or roll with smaller groups this game is just a stop gap and we are waiting for a suitable alternative.

You can’t even thin down the zerg in this game no matter how well you do and how many you finish as if they are on voice comms will all stack up spam revive and just overwhelm you eventually no matter how well you “learn to play”.

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

As a Mesmer, I’m constantly amazed at how many people go after my downed clone. Can’t you see the huge red arrow hovering over me?!

The downed state should absolutely be reworked. Specifically to make my character die from laughter when someone stomps my clone.

(Loot/exp/spvp points would not be given when this happens.)

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand