Does Verbal Abuse Reporting Even Do Anything?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LootBag.8142

LootBag.8142

Q:

I am asking because in last 3 days I have reported about 5 Abbadon/Gunnar players who I have killed(either solo or in group) and afterwards got whispered by them. Whispers that usually started with f*kitten , dumba*s etc… And this is just for 3 past days, got plenty of these in sPvP too, and my block list is swelling with people, actually it is 3 times larger than my friends list.
So, does Anet ever take any steps toward verbal abusing people? Or is this option just for show? Is all what I’d like to know.

Ninelives LootBag [HoB]

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

A:

All in game reports are read and acted upon, we have GM’s that literally just sit there and watch “velocity reports” (named as such due to the speed of the reports being made). As you might guess there are generally a significant amount of these reports happening at any given moment and due to this we cannot respond to them.

Obviously we need to investigate all claims that come in and then action them if we have proof (chat logs etc.), there is a strict disciplinary structure that is followed and players that are found to be breaking this code of conduct are dealt with accordingly.

I hope this answers your question

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

I’m almost positive that reports do nothing.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yes they do.

You have to keep in mind however that someone actually need to investigate the logs and such. They can’t just blindly ban people because of reports.

It is also rather unlikely that a first offense (if not extreme) would end with a permanent ban, but rather with a few days suspension.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: LootBag.8142

LootBag.8142

Thanks for the quick response A.T.
And yes, it does answer my question to full.

Ninelives LootBag [HoB]

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Wow amazing so a Dev replies to this topic, which isn’t exactly game breaking, yet they ignore the pages and pages of feedback about recent game updates, truly amazing stuff.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

wrong. Seen it work (well, of cause I can only assume, but rather strong indicators).

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

wrong. Seen it work (well, of cause I can only assume, but rather strong indicators).

I always see that it works when i look into the dev-tracker and see some of the comments from Gayle to people that think they were banned without a reason

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

In other words, reporting does nothing.

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

we have GM’s that literally just sit there and watch “velocity reports” (named as such due to the speed of the reports being made). As you might guess there are generally a significant amount of these reports happening at any given moment and due to this we cannot respond to them.

If you’re advertising an opening, consider this my application.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

In other words: take screen shots, be sure to note the times of the infraction, write down as many details as possible and be patient because they have alot to weed through.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

In other words: take screen shots, be sure to note the times of the infraction, write down as many details as possible and be patient because they have alot to weed through.

^This. During the marionette event there was a person who was verbally abusing many people including two in my guild.

The five of us in my guild at that event took screenshots of the abuse and reported it. He tended to be that sort of person and was always at the event being hateful. A couple of days after that, he was not to be seen at the event again.

A couple of those guildmates put him on their friends list to see if he was still in the game. It was quite a while before either of him saw him logged on after that. About a month I believe. So we are assuming he was at least temporarily banned for his actions. So reporting does seem to work.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Opinions are like…..(bah…never mind).

If you mean do they alter cyber-brat behavior? Maybe not, but I’m guessing for 3 days or so (at some time in the future) somebody had a bit of relief.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: KitOnlyHuman.6807

KitOnlyHuman.6807

Wow amazing so a Dev replies to this topic, which isn’t exactly game breaking, yet they ignore the pages and pages of feedback about recent game updates, truly amazing stuff.

If you’re meaning the “Feedback” about the game updates, there isn’t need for them to post there because it’s their way of -collecting- feedback so that they can analyze how best to proceed. Posting would only divert the conversation into negativity towards the poster from those that are unhappy.

Kit
Lady Shade | Lydia Barakov | Tesse Centirum | Quote Nevermore| Axe Bloodclaw | Beta Zee

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

All in game reports are read and acted upon, we have GM’s that literally just sit there and watch “velocity reports” (named as such due to the speed of the reports being made).

I’m sure they all have a similar picture next to their desk.

Attachments:

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

I dont really consider trash talk verbal abuse, and not sure if just 1 person reports someone for not even using a curse word if that would result in a ban. I would certainly hope not.

The “A” word is borderline because it is a curse, but its also not very extreme. I would think a warning would suffice.

If you ask them to stop however, and they continue harassing thats one thing but it seems like your just doing it to spite someone and that might not meet the terms. Review the ToS and make sure they fit the description against the rules

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Yes they do.

You have to keep in mind however that someone actually need to investigate the logs and such. They can’t just blindly ban people because of reports.

It is also rather unlikely that a first offense (if not extreme) would end with a permanent ban, but rather with a few days suspension.

Not to mention the MULTITUDE of trivial reports for the likes of someone calling someone else an kittenhole.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Yep, I did all this, sent all screenshots and everything. Offending players still log in every single day.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

All in game reports are read and acted upon, we have GM’s that literally just sit there and watch “velocity reports” (named as such due to the speed of the reports being made). As you might guess there are generally a significant amount of these reports happening at any given moment and due to this we cannot respond to them.

Obviously we need to investigate all claims that come in and then action them if we have proof (chat logs etc.), there is a strict disciplinary structure that is followed and players that are found to be breaking this code of conduct are dealt with accordingly.

I hope this answers your question

I might add that most companies will not inform the player making the report that action was taken or what action was taken. That is kept between the player being reported and the company. I seem to recall that ANet also has this policy.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Perhaps it wasn’t as severe as you saw it? I have no idea since, obviously, I have not read what happened. Or maybe they felt it just wasn’t quite enough to throw a 72 hour ban on, and all you need to do is block them, but please note: I am not condoning verbal abuse. But sometimes people see things differently than intended.

OP’s question was answered, there’s no reason to keep this going. The very same question was asked in gw1 all the time, despite the fact that eventually we even had Dhuum come in and kill the player as a result of reporting. Even something so visual and known to many wasn’t enough to sway the belief that reports did nothing.

Posted by: Oakwind.6187

Oakwind.6187

All in game reports are read and acted upon, we have GM’s that literally just sit there and watch “velocity reports” (named as such due to the speed of the reports being made).

I’m sure they all have a similar picture next to their desk.

Thank you for the laughs x) Quite witty.

I play Engineer.
Balthazar runes are broken.

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Trash talk will have nothing done about it, even less will be done if you trash talk back and then report because you’re upset. More use of the ignore button, less use of the report button.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I was at the Claw of Jormag spawn point one day with a bunch of other players, waiting for the event to start. Some guy starting just going OFF in map chat, thought he found himself an audience for his bad behavior. We report the guy and continue waiting.

Then I see a small asura with an ANet tag come up the hill behind the tents. He stands there and listens for a minute and poof – just like that the verbal abuser was gone.

Love how ArenaNet attends to these matters

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320