Does anyone like playing ugly characters?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: choon.6308

choon.6308

A friend bought the game but he was too bored to continue after few days. He said all the mmos feel the same.

Then I made him a little Asuran monster. It looked like a child of Gollum & Chucky. Facial features messed up, alien like face with a creepy grin etc. He loved it and now that monster is lvl 30 He plays really evil, lets his allies die in story missions etc. Currently he is working with Charrs and no problem killing other Asurans…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

‘Beauty is in the eye of the beholder….’

All there really is to say on that. Kind of goes along the same lines of ’It’s so hideous it’s cute’

What one person may find ‘ugly’ another may find ‘beautiful’ (or because it’s ugly its beautiful, such as with the example you provided)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

The perception of ugly will vary a lot.
I often find the way people color their armor or customize their characters extremtly ugly, while they probably think of them as decently good looking.
In GW2 however it is very difficult to make ugly characters without giving the a face that is out of proportion (lack of better word), since most templates have very clean skin and are young looking.
As for playing the villain/monster/bad guy I think a lot of people enjoy that

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

No, I dint prefer my character to be unattractive. Judging by the characters I see others playing id say a good number would agree.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Ask anyone playing a Charr. Hint: Yes

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: BlasiuS.8961

BlasiuS.8961

Ask anyone playing a Charr. Hint: Yes

IMO most people use Charr just so their armor/weapons are extra huge and cool-looking.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

Charr can be gorgeous. Many people are too dim to see beyond human standard. But then again I’m apparently a weirdo. I prefer the non human races, the less human-like the better.

In fact I actually managed to avoid the SWOTOR disaster because I found all the races to be too close to human. Had they thrown in Hutts, Trandoshians, Ughnauts, Noghri, or even Wookies I might have reconsidered. Even Gungans would have been preferable

I like my main, and Rytlock is a sexy mother.

I like to think at least a few of my toons cross that line on typical beauty, yet remain attractive.

I don’t have any properly ugly toons though. Right now.

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Who you callin’ ugly?

Attachments:

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Who you callin’ ugly?

Wow that picture is utterly terrifying in a way that if I ever make a necro again I may seriously consider Charr, a race I haven’t played since disliking in beta.

Aeonblade.8709

Who you callin’ ugly?

Sorry Mr. Charr sir, but that is one hideous mug. :p

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

Who you callin’ ugly?

Forget these haters, that looks sick.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

IMO most people use Charr just so their armor/weapons are extra huge and cool-looking.

Not all Charr armor and weapons are extra huge – THANK GOODNESS!

IMO oversized weapons and huge unrealistic spikes all over are DUMB looking. Far from “cool”.

We both have our opinions. I’m glad the game lets us (mostly) equip our characters the way we want. (The exception of course, being that a medium armored character had better like those nasty ol’ trenchcoats…)

And my Charr is fearsome looking, not ugly. I do however have one of those crotchety-looking Asura, and I love him! Too bad the voice acting in the storyline makes him sound like a young, eager do-gooder.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Hell yeah, I wear the Wolf Mask on my brown&beige leather clad female character whever she goes and I can’t wait for someone to PM me in game and say “you look ugly”…. meanwhile it’s coming from someone who looks exactly like everyone else in the entire game… IE: either a flower backed barbie doll in pink/blue, or ‘perfect haired’ Bishnonen thief trying to be every cliche` weeaboo ken doll ever.

I want characters, that HAVE character. …even just at a glance.
I’m handsome enough in real life, I don’t need to compensate for it in-game thanks.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I do have massive problems, especially with humans, how everyone looks like a supermodel.
I want fat characters, old characters, bald characters, hairy characters, emaciated characters, spotty characters, amputee characters, cross-eyed characters, wall-eyed characters, scarred characters, UGLY characters.
A good ugly character can look like they have more, well, character than the generic beauties in the game at the moment.

Oh, and I want the magnificent handlebar moustache that the Norn WvW BLTC representative has.
That ROCKS.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

If I wanted to play an ugly character I’d look in the mirror.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Aeonblade.8709

If I wanted to play an ugly character I’d look in the mirror.

Come on now, just because you can’t see the beauty/handsomeness in yourself doesn’t mean it’s not there. I’m sure you are exaggerating

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Oh and another thing I’ve begun to appreciate as I get older; true beauty comes from the imperfections

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Hello there..

Attachments:

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If my ex-girlfriend played GW2 she would be ugly playing a character.

The Burninator

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

Unfortunately, no, I like my handsome men/beautiful or cute women, blah blah blah… only time I didn’t play a handsome toon was in WoW, because human males were… well.. you know.

Gates of Madness

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Personally if I ever get round to making a male human I’m going to give him a beard and try to make him look as aged as I can, I hate the way they all look like supermodels when I’m just running around LA. At least for my norn war it was easy since they have a mixture of young and aged looking faces, if I had to make a pretty boy i’d have ended up gouging my eyes out.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

Gahh im a old Charr my darn inventions keep breaking on me /charrroar darn you kittens get off my lawn!!!! famous words of Frontier Irontoe

Attachments:

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve made several characters, including some of my permanent ones, who I don’t think are attractive. When I’m making a character I start from a general concept (which is usually a race/class combo or a personality) and then build them around that – so I make them look how I imagine someone who fits that personality would look.

But as people said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My husband thinks my norn, who I intended to be a bit of a plain ‘blend into the background’ type is more attractive than my human character who is a bit more of a Mary-Sue.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

@locoman, Your Asura is even uglier than mine – very well done.

The character builder is designed to create beautiful avatars, but it can still produce ugly ducklings – at least with Asura anyway. (Charrs are easy because they’re meant to look agro.)

Personally I take it as a sign of maturity when a player doesn’t need a beautiful avatar to play the game.

Posted by: Dan.3814

Dan.3814

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

ahahahaha

oh my god, this looks soo awful

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

‘Beauty is in the eye of the beholder….’

All there really is to say on that. Kind of goes along the same lines of ’It’s so hideous it’s cute’

What one person may find ‘ugly’ another may find ‘beautiful’ (or because it’s ugly its beautiful, such as with the example you provided)

This.

As far as I’m concerned there seem to be a lot of people who love ugly. Otherwise you’d never see CoF armour, easily one of the ugliest in the game.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Locoman’s and Dan’s asura are just too cute! <3

Well, I play “attractive” characters (only females.. I am a female, too), BUT I think they do not have a mainstream or supermodel attractiveness, because my taste differs.. (for example: in my opinion most of the models don’t look that great ^^).

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

yes, did u never play aion ?
gw2 really limits your ugly options

Attachments:

Posted by: Matroos Mark.9180

Matroos Mark.9180

I personally love making hideous characters, my Charr mesmer has eyes so small and covered with eyebrow fur that he literally has no eyes, hence his name ‘Eyeless Happyman’ the happy part is because I made all of his head/facial features as small as possible so he has very… unimpressive teeth and his mesmer mask makes him look cheerful, he looks like a big kitten. He’s adorable.

I made an Asura engineer just the other day, his name has nothing to do with his appearance in his case, but he has massive eyesockets and the tiniest eyes, with an afro and those ripped up ears he looks like he should have been abandoned at birth.

My Human thief has a very generic and normal look to her, since she was my 2nd character and I just wanted to have a level 80 thief, I didn’t get particularly creative with her.
My main character is a Sylvari ranger, called Old Ostrichface. He’s nothing special but I did my best to make him as green as possible.

I will make a Norn Necromancer later and I have plans to make it… not appealing to the eyes, but I’m not that far yet.

Will post a pic later, I’m away from my PC til wednesday and am posting from my tablet.

(edited by Matroos Mark.9180)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I do like them looking more realistic..not so Barbie & Ken…I think most humans in this game are too “pretty” they dont have a hardend look.Norn only have a couple of those,face full with scars,the nose thats off etc..I like that stuff.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I think it kinda looks cute…>.>

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want