Does anyone like the mastery system?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Svartwolf.3729

Svartwolf.3729

I like the mastery system, and as a player that likes to roll with different chars, i appreciate that this is a level up system designed to be account based.

Could be better? certainly, specially aquiring mastery points, which for me is the main bottleneck, but if they ever do gw3, i would like if they could revert the max level to 20 that would work as a tutorial, and all the further level up to be done with mastery systems…

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

I like some of it but most of it is just Fluff/grind work for grind and only works in some zones some of it could be really good QOL stuff to, like run speed why towns only great way to free a skill on ppls bars

Posted by: aven.1537

aven.1537

only thing i hate about them is getting the points themselves:P as a casual player who logs in maybe once a week plays a few hours then gets off. it would be nice if they accumulated 1 point per ever month. this would make it so us norm ppl could still unlock everything over time, yet the ppl who rush are still time gated by doing content. i’ll still enjoy playing stuff, they just lock X things behind some many points get annoying.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

I like it. My only complaint would be how you get mastery points. Some were really easy to get while others were pretty difficult. Adventures are a great example of this. You had easy ones like “On Wings of Gold” or “Drone Race” where you could get gold on your first try without really knowing what needs to be done. Then you have something like the “Shooting Gallery” that you pretty much needed to memorize the spawn locations of each dummy and have decent aim to go with it if you wanted to get gold.

Posted by: virus.4370

virus.4370

i hated the mastery system from HoT..i don’t mind the HPs..but the lack of mastery points in the game..has held me back from getting all the hot masteries unlocked..

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The mastery system itself is great. The only thing that needs to be worked on is making it feel like an actual progression system with relevant masteries. For example, the gliding mastery line felt progressive while pretty much the rest of the mastery lines felt like a bunch of random masteries were thrown in them because they fit a “theme” although they weren’t related to each other.

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Since I started GW2 at launch, I’ve played primarily one toon above all the others tho I have characters for each class sitting there looking pretty, waiting for attention. Every blue moon. I dive into one of them and try to clear a map. I still have over 300 unused HPs waiting for the PoF specialization.

Masteries are a nice progression system to add QoL upgrades, and the expanded movement systems are kinda fun. I agree that the use of mushrooms, nuhoch tunnels, and oakheart essences should become more widely available throughout Tyria, not to ruin things like JPs and such but to add interest and usability to the skill we invensted in.

I despise the adventures and the link of mastery points to them. I’m not a good player, I just play to have fun. I don’t want to be forced to “git gud” at something I’ll never play again just to get a point I need from it. I also don’t like that my progression is in limbo now because I haven’t completed all the masteries and earning experience is utterly meaningless.

I’d prefer to see a switch to turn off mastery XP gain so XP can mean something to me again without being forced to play something I don’t like. Just being able to deselect a mastery progression bar and have XP default back to standard Core progression would improve this system dramatically.

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Addendum: if WvW had a mastery point track or merchant similar to the hero point vendor, that would also be a workable solution.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

As an aside, I wonder how many people got the MP in VB that was way up inside that airship thing?

I tried a few times and couldn’t see how it could possibly attainable. It went against the grain for me and I succumbed to watching a video. As it played, my bottom jaw got slacker and slacker until it was dragging on the desk.

I promptly decided not to bother.

I did it in three tries. Let me give you the details!

First try took me an hour and I quit in frustration.
3 months later second try took me less than 10 minutes before I quit in frustration.
6 months after that third try took me less than 5 minutes before I got a friendly mesmer port.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I like the mastery system.

What i don’t like currently about it is just only the fact, how much unused potential it has, and how small Anet began with the Mastery System – for my taste way too much focused on just the HoT territories, than to give also from begin on the game also alot of quality of life masteries for central tyria and the core game that could be used also too as a form of character progression to make returnign also to older maps more interesting again.

there have been already several threads for Mastery Suggestions… you find tons of very good suggestions of them, where I think that Anet should take a look over them to improve the mastery system with alot of useful new QoL masteries that help in making GW2 more fun, rewarding and better as a whole, instead of focusing too much on regional masteries, which are only useful7neccessary for 1 specific map only, as that is kind of a waste of ressources for me.. its a neccessary evil to make them as well every now and then to make maps unique and interesting, but the overall focus shoukld be on regional masteries, the overall focus shoudl like on universal masteries, which impriove the overall game for the player, regardless on which map you play on at the moment… thats also why I love it, that anet decided on makign mounts in the future useable mostly everywhere, not just only for the PoF maps, which would be way to limitating for such a great feature.

I also like the return of unidentifyed items, as this helps massively the inventory space war of the game alot to reduce it practicalyl nearly to zeo, and it provides instantly another potential good option for a useful universal mastery.

“Identification Mastery”

1) Sharp Eyes
Raises the Chances of gaining rarer materials out of salvaged identified Items by 10%

2) Industry Insider
Your knowledge over all kinds of produced items has increased. Identifying items lets you increase its value, so that selling identified items will bring you in more gold now from selling items to NPCs, than before. Value Increase of identified items = +100%
So an item, which woudl have given for example before the trait 3 Silver, wil lgive after having learned Industry Insider now 6 Silver.

3) Relic Hunter
Increases chance to obtain rarer items from Item Identifications.
Rare Items +10% Chance, Exotic Items +5% Chance, Ascended Items +3% chance

4) Antiquarian
Unlocks access to a NPC, which trades stacks of unidentified items for various unique goods that you can get only from this new Trader NPC

5) Master Identifyer
Adds a Chance, that you can identify an item free of charge by +20% without losing a unit of your Identification Kit

6) Lady Luck is on your Side
You gain now Luck whenever you identify an item.

7) Skritt Admirer
Whenever you identify something, you gain now Exp Points, Karma and Map Currency when beign in a map that has one and so more you identify over time over the course of the day, so bigger does this bonus Exp/Karma/Currency Boost become, until you reach a certain limit.

God, id love this kind of new mastery line I came up with now in 5 minutes here of brainstorming just over the max potential of identification

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

I love the mastery system. It gave me a good guidance to further develop my character and hunt achievements. Before the system many players complained there was little to go for after getting to level 80 with ascended gear. This has been fixed.

I still have some wishes for improvement:

1.) It would be nice to be able to use experience tomes/scrolls for the mastery leveling or remove the XP requirement altogether. I found it very annoying to have gotten the mastery points, stacks of XP tomes, but still having to grind for XP again to get my mastery points applied.

2.) It wish some of the mastery abilities like the attack skills while gliding would work everywhere instead of just one map.

3.) It would be nice to be able to invest in the raiding mastery tree without having to complete a raiding part. Many players use non-meta builds and find it difficult to get into raids but still want to get the maximum mastery level with mastery points obtained elsewhere.

Apart from this I found the mastery system a good motivator to discover new places, events, battles and activities.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

(edited by TheQuickFox.3826)

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I agree completely (except, I hate HoT overall). My complaint about masteries, though, is that there aren’t nearly enough mastery points available. If there were other ways of getting to maximum, I would like the system, I think.

Another problem is that XP is tied to raids. You stop gaining XP in all HoT, LS S3, and presumably PoF zones unless you make it all the way through the raid masteries. Most of the jerks moved to raiding once it appeared, and I have no desire whatsoever to play with those people. (There likely ARE non-jerks in raids, though.)

It’s another example of ANet saying, “play it our way, or you’re done progressing.” It leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I feel kind of badly for new players coming into the mastery system now, especially for HoT. I’ve talked with some people in the LW Season 3 areas and they don’t have some of the later masteries like Advanced Gliding and Leyline Gliding. They were telling me how they were having trouble with some of the new story maps without those 2 especially, but they haven’t really had a chance to get that deep into the lines before being ready to move on. They say it feels like a lot of grinding.

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

I like it, except for the part about not being able to advance with exp in HoT areas if you’re not a raider.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

The HoT ones are ok,but the LS3 ones are too easy to get,it makes the feature trivial and a bit pointless,like the weapon skills unlocking.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: PzTnT.7198

PzTnT.7198

I don’t mind the mastery system as such. It works well for what it does. But the kitten mastery points being like they are is what i really hate about the system and why I’m unlikely to ever fill it out. Quite simply i am not an achievement hunter at all and that’s what a ton of those points are gated behind.

Id love for a way to get them that doesn’t involve the adventures or achievement hunting. Even if i have to buy them for gems it would be an improvement in my case.

If you are reading this you have finished reading my post and are now reading my signature.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t mind the mastery system as such. It works well for what it does. But the kitten mastery points being like they are is what i really hate about the system and why I’m unlikely to ever fill it out. Quite simply i am not an achievement hunter at all and that’s what a ton of those points are gated behind.

Id love for a way to get them that doesn’t involve the adventures or achievement hunting. Even if i have to buy them for gems it would be an improvement in my case.

I gave up on everything that wasn’t bronze in the adventures. So not my thing.