Does heavy armor look lazy to you?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

Q:

I’m referring the the ‘Worn’ armor in particular. The chainmail, chain, scale sets look similar enough to each other already, and yet we have worn versions of them too, which are nothing more than a little dust and smudge. At the very least make the buckles look broken, and parts of the armor look like they are breaking off…

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

I actually think the Heavy armor is the best-looking armor class in the game. As far as the worn armors go, they do in fact have slightly different meshes than their regular counterparts as well as the color differences. On top of that, the dye areas are different as well if I remember correctly.

My main’s currently rocking a mix of Arah legs/boots/gloves, Cursed Shore chest/helm, and Vigil shoulderpads skin-wise, in midnight fuschia and blood. I look like a humanoid GW1 Jade Armor.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Have you seen medium armor? Be glad you wear heavy.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I quite medium armor actually. Maybe not so the helms, but the armor sets themselves are detailed and varied. They might not be completely aesthetically pleasing, but that doesn’t subtract from the detail put into them.

Heavy armor on the other hand, looks pretty much the same for several sets. Squint a little and they’ll definitely look the same lol.

I actually think the Heavy armor is the best-looking armor class in the game. As far as the worn armors go, they do in fact have slightly different meshes than their regular counterparts as well as the color differences. On top of that, the dye areas are different as well if I remember correctly.

My main’s currently rocking a mix of Arah legs/boots/gloves, Cursed Shore chest/helm, and Vigil shoulderpads skin-wise, in midnight fuschia and blood. I look like a humanoid GW1 Jade Armor.

hmm, I haven’t actually considered the dye areas been different. Will give it another look I guess, but you won’t find me dead in scale/chain/chainmail.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: Firesaber.5217

Firesaber.5217

I’m more disappointed in the fact so much of the high level ‘Heavy’ armor is the stupid looking ‘Gladiator/Barbarian’ looking junk. Where’s all the awesome looking plate armors? The ‘rare’ skin on the crafted armor is a complete joke.

Light armor has the most variation imo. Medium all kinda blurs together. Lots of bland pants.

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

I’m not really happy with most of the heavy armor
Even the T3 human racial has issues (those kitten hip plates!)

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

yeah one thing I find in GW2 is that the design of armours isn’t nearly as good as it was in GW1. Light armour does have a few nice ones but for heavy I haven’t seen anything I really liked. So far my HoM skins for heavy armour are still the best I’ve seen.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: SimoxTav.5189

SimoxTav.5189

Waist size should be matched to permit cross set wearing (and also several cooler looking legplates). Currently if you equip a couple of greaves (i’d say primeval and cultural T3) they have a different waist size compared to the other chests.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

If you want to compare to GW1, I feel obligated to point out that GW1 had much less in the way of skins, at least on a per-profession basis. Without any expansions, you had 13, and that included five fancier “elite” versions of basically the same skin. GW2 already has a lot more variety in the looks. You’ve got several different crafted looks, five different cultural armors, several types of karma-only armor, dropped armor, and finally a ton of dungeon armor, and most of them look amazing. Plus, with the vastly improved dye system, it’s a lot easier to mix-and-match pieces and have it not have it look cobbled together due to different color maps.

Whatever else you think, they did an amazing job on the art.

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

Heavy armor has far too strong a habit of being textures being pasted onto characters’ chests which is all too upsetting for this game. Please look at games like Demon’s Souls for reference.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

@Revenant. I didn’t compare the number of skins but the designs as such. For me GW1 had more designs I liked than GW2. This may change over time but at this stage that’s where it’s at for me.

My GW1 warrior (female) had 5 elite sets that I thought were awesome looking, like the Kurzick and Gladiator ones. I haven’t seen a single one in GW2 that I like as much as any of those. Not a single one.

I know it’s also a matter of taste but for me it’s made me stop leveling my guardian because I don’t have any real cool armour to look forward to. I hope more will be added later but specifically heavy armour either looks bland, funky or over the top (you those ones with flames coming out of em). It doesn’t have a good sense of style with it.

Light armour definitely has much more going for it.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Too many spikes, not enough neck protection.
These are my main complaints with heavy armour.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Belcross.6127

Belcross.6127

Sometimes I feel there is no connection (protection) between the head and chest pieces. For a heavy armor class to leave a wide open target to hit is a little strange when you sit down to think about it.