Does magicfind booster work on bandit chests?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phil.7903

Phil.7903

Q:

Talking about MF boosters, food, banners, not Perseverance buff. Need answers please.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes and from structured PvP reward track loot boxes. It does not affect any other containers (including champion loot bags), any chests, or any other source of loot.

From the wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: NNYinsanenature.5684

NNYinsanenature.5684

Yes it does apply to lost bandit chests.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I don’t think we actually know that. We know that normally Magic Find does not apply to chests, or drops from loot bags. But in this living story they’ve included a new buff that increases magic find for bandit chests specifically. It is however unclear if this stacks with your existing magic find. Its really all a bit inconsistent and confusing.

“Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes and from structured PvP reward track loot boxes. It does not affect any other containers (including champion loot bags), any chests, or any other source of loot.

There are two components of Magic Find: an account-wide bonus, which applies to all characters on the account, and a character-specific attribute. "

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: NNYinsanenature.5684

NNYinsanenature.5684

maybe a dev response or gaile can chime in and clear this up then.

Posted by: Eileane.3845

Eileane.3845

do they even check the forum on weekends?

Boxie Togg (main)… probably Tyrias only Asuran Mesmer that ultimately fails at jumping puzzles
Stinky McLane… the only Necro known to have a toothpaste fetish
Lefty (give me a second) Fiddlesticks… one Engineer, two clumbsy hands…

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

I don’t think we actually know that. We know that normally Magic Find does not apply to chests, or drops from loot bags. But in this living story they’ve included a new buff that increases magic find for bandit chests specifically. It is however unclear if this stacks with your existing magic find. Its really all a bit inconsistent and confusing.

“Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes and from structured PvP reward track loot boxes. It does not affect any other containers (including champion loot bags), any chests, or any other source of loot.

There are two components of Magic Find: an account-wide bonus, which applies to all characters on the account, and a character-specific attribute. "

It’s my impression that it does indeed stack with your existing magic find. For instance, my base MF is 106% (126% when I’m playing a character wearing a Syzygy necklace augmented with the magical infusion). My guild regularly provides MF boosts of an extra 10%, so that brings me to 136% when I go into the Silverwastes. When I get the maximum of 5 stacks of the boost, I’ve observed my MF go to 286%.

Posted by: Phil.7903

Phil.7903

I would like to get official answer on this

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It’s my impression that it does indeed stack with your existing magic find. For instance, my base MF is 106% (126% when I’m playing a character wearing a Syzygy necklace augmented with the magical infusion). My guild regularly provides MF boosts of an extra 10%, so that brings me to 136% when I go into the Silverwastes. When I get the maximum of 5 stacks of the boost, I’ve observed my MF go to 286%.

Interesting. The downside is that we never really know for sure if we can trust the hero panel. Sometimes it doesn’t show your correct MF, but according to Anet, this is just a display bug, and the player gets the full benefit of the MF none the less. And now it says that your total MF has been raised…. but is that number also factored into the actual MF calculation? I mean displaying it is nice, but does it also work that way?

That’s the problem with all this RNG, you just can’t tell if any of it is working as intended.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Phil.1039

Phil.1039

I would also like an answer on this.

The wording on the buff, “Bonus Bonus Magic Find when opening Lost Bandit Chests”, definitely implies that magic find works on these chests. Because why would you increase Magic Find if Magic Find didn’t affect the chests. They even capitalized it, “Bonus Magic Find,” which means they’re talking about the game mechanic and not just saying it increases your chance to find magic items in chests.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I would also like an answer on this.

The wording on the buff, “Bonus Bonus Magic Find when opening Lost Bandit Chests”, definitely implies that magic find works on these chests. Because why would you increase Magic Find if Magic Find didn’t affect the chests. They even capitalized it, “Bonus Magic Find,” which means they’re talking about the game mechanic and not just saying it increases your chance to find magic items in chests.

I dunno, it seemed pretty clear to me that it meant that the bonus magic find granted by that particular buff applies to the chests.

It says nothing about magic find from other sources affecting them.

Hopefully a dev will clarify, but I’m pretty sure this is it.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

Just my 2 cents and it probably belongs somewhere else, but when MF boosters are sold for real money it’s my opinion that MF should affect all loot drops no matter the source. If the MF is too “Powerful” in the Dev’s minds they should fine tune the system. I personally hate the idea of a “reward” for veteran players that only is useful 10% of the time

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Talking about MF boosters, food, banners, not Perseverance buff. Need answers please.

Post your question in this topic and there is a good chance that the Game Economist will answer you:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/I-have-a-question-about-the-economy/page/16#post4567605

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Wiella.8567

Wiella.8567

I would say it works and here are the reasons:

1. It is known for sure that Perseverance MF bonus works on chests AND it gives 2x bonus for 1 second when chest is opened (which can be also seen on hero panel just for 1 second). It would be really dumb if that “while-opening” bonus wouldn’t work on chests as well. And since both bonuses from Perseverance are displayed in addition to casual MF stat I suppose casual MF also works on chests.

2. I have made a lot of tests around the subject with account with just 150% MF (300% on open) with Perseverance buff VS 630% MF (780% on chest open) – opened around 5k chests with one account and 5k chests with another one – I’d say I get 3-5x more obsidians with the second one. With the non-MF account I almost get none, with MF account I get tons of them and from time to time even 10 at once.

3. WIKI page on MF (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find) clearly states:

Magic Find … with a couple exceptions, it does not affect containers … the exceptions are:
- Containers received from structured PvP reward tracks.
- Lost Bandit Chests in the Silverwastes when you have Perseverance.

So basically – if you just HAVE Perseverance buff on you – MF works on chests.

4. If you carefully read Perseverance description:

Gained by assisting Pact forces in the Silverwastes.
Removed upon leaving the map.
+30% Magic Find.
Bonus Magic Find When Opening Lost Bandit Chests.
Stacks intensity.

It doesn’t say that it works exclusively for Lost Bandit Chests or anything close – it just states that it gives static +% MF bonus and gives more while opening the chest. Nothing else. Tha means that it is the same MF as anything else and MF overall should be working on the chests.

-

So, from all that and some other minor tips I made a conclusion that all MF (both Perseverance part and account/stat part) work on Lost Bandit Chests. So unless someone gives me reasoned evidence that it doesn’t work – I will keep on using MF food and other stuff to get more obsidians which are actually pretty useful and some other bonus stuff.

(edited by Wiella.8567)