Does the new expansion include the old one?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The answer is no. The two expansions are standalone. The benefit of this, is that Path of Fire is rather cheap

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Only if you choose to bundle it. PoF is $30. PoF+HoT is $50. HoT is $30.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Seems pretty reasonable to me. I don’t buy them much, anymore, but console games at launch always ran me about $50 or $60 dollars. Fifty dollars for 2 expansions seems pretty good.

Regardless…perhaps, see you next year. Good luck.

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

I was thinking of getting back into Guild Wars 2 since the new expansion is coming out but im not a huge fan of the idea of buying 2 full priced expansions to get current with the game.

I also recently got into FF XIV just as their second expansion came out. With that game buying the newest expansion includes all previous ones so you’re not forced to buy multiple expensive expansions to enjoy the game.

Im hoping GW2 is doing the same thing but I cant find any info on whether or not they are.

So my question is does buying Path of Fire come with Heart of Thornes?

Thanks in advance.

You can’t compare the FF14 and GW2 expansions though.
FF14 included the previous one, because you need that one to even get to the level to play the actual one. All expansions kind of build up on one another there, while in gw you’re always max level when starting into an expansion and each of them is more like an optional trip to explore a new section of the world.

Also keep in mind that these expansion sells are one of the main ways for GW to make money, since unlike FF14 they do not use a monthly fee system.

Posted by: Deltaninethc.7013

Deltaninethc.7013

Cant say ive spent more than 40 bucks on a full game in more than 10 years (PC gaming has truly spoiled me). I also played and stopped playing this game years ago, so 50 bucks doesn’t get me a brand new game with an entirely new experience, it gives me a gamble on whether or not i’ll find the new additions worth playing.

I just dont find the price point worth the possibility I may still not find the game engaging enough to keep playing. 30 is right at the price point Im willing to try the game at, hell even at 40 bucks I could justify the purchase to myself, but money is just too tight to convince myself 50 bucks for a game I may or may not play for more than a few hours is a smart entertainment purchase.

No hate for the game, its price, or its players. It’s just too much for this one individual.

Hope you all enjoy the new content!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, you don’t need Heart of Thorns to play Path of Fire, so you only need invest the $30 dollars.

There’s a demo starting in about 20 minutes, so you could try that out without cost.

Up to you; good luck either way.

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

30 bucks for an expansion is not cheap. It’s actually a pretty standard price.

Oh well, thanks for the reply. Maybe i’ll check the game out when they both go on sale or arenanet decides to sell a heavily discounted combo pack.

I’m not sure where you’re getting this BS idea of a ‘standard price’ being $30 when most major mmos have been selling them for the last 10 years at at least at$35-40. On top of this these have usually been mmos with monthly subscription fees. And to my understanding f2p games that you might be referring to really don’t carry the boxed traditional expansions i think were talking about.

Idk your economic situation, but it is a verifiable fact that you won’t find another major mmo more cost effective that gw2, so up to you man.

Also if you’ve recently gotten into FFXIV then you’ve already paid more than PoF+HoT for the cost of Stormblood+Sub fee, so idk what you want.

(edited by Kormeg.2469)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

If you do play FFIV then a monthly fee is all the difference between your ‘will pay 40’ and ‘wont pay 50’. Regardless, HoT is not mandatory for PoF and should be fully playable without it. You’ll only miss out on HoT specific stat sets and class traits/skills/weapons. Last weekend there was a demo of a small portion of PoF, which would have been a good oppertunity to check out the game. This weekend you can try out the new specializations (traits/skills etc) coming in the expansion so that may be worth trying as you already own the game.

On another note, I think the game could benefit from a HoT trial period so people can check that out if they have played the base game. That way people can decide to get a bundle or just PoF.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

With the bundle you still get a petty dang good deal imho. $50 for both or $30 for PoF and even cheaper for HoT if you watch for sales. Added bonus of you don’t need to buy both to play. PoF and HoT are stand alone

FFXIV can’t really be compared. There you pay a sub, plus all expansions are needed to play SB. So you can’t play HW without ARR, and you can’t play SB without both HW and ARR (you can get a bundle of all 3 or buy the story skips but you still need all 3).

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]