Does your profession fit your playstyle?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

This is going to sound wierd, but I was curious about something.
When you selected your profession, or perhaps when you chose which profession would be your main, how did that profession fit your playstyle, and how did you set your build to incorporate the playstyle you liked?
For example, I like being a mage, playing support, and summoning things. As such, I looked at Guardian, Mesmer, and Necromancer. My frist was a Guardian and I enjoyed that but the temporary/long cooldown nature of the summons didn’t really appeal to me. While I love undead, I found that Necromancer couldn’t support well AND summon with the same build.
However, after asking around on the forums and recieving some great advice, I learned Mesmer would summon regardless of build, AND that they often supported at least a little as a side-effect of many of their skills. I now play a Mesmer and enjoy it because it suits my playstyle.
So, how dooes your profession suit your playstyle? Or perhaps, more generally, why is it fun to play your profession?

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

One of my biggest issues I’ve had with enjoying GW2 is that none of the classes have grabbed me. I’ve tried them all, most of them to 80, but they all seem to fall short in some way. I level them up and just… I don’t know, maybe I’m expecting too much, but none of them are all that fun to me.

Rather disappointing really.

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Atm I have a 80 ele, and though very enjoyable It doesnt feel like a mage to me. As for GW it feels more like you have to play outside of your comfort zone then to what ur used to. Would I like a more mage feeling class? sure.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

My warrior, which I took to 80, was a nice fit at the time as it allowed me to learn about the game without too much difficulty.

My elementalist, which I’m almost 80 on, has now become my main simply because it fits my real playstyle better…more intricate with more options. Anyone can play a single element elementalist but to get really good at working with the synergy of all the elements is when the class really shines. I love being able to let go and dumb down my experience if need be (fire all day long when the mood dictates) or to be able to delve into more depth when my brain is up for the task.

I’ve tried other classes but these two seem to fit me best so I’d say…yes, my professions fit my playstyles.

This sentence is false.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I picked my main (ranger) specifically because it fits my playstyle.

I like to primarily use melee weapons and I’m really into the two sword/sword and dagger idea at the moment. But I like to focus on mobility rather than heavy armor to avoid damage and use conditions/poisons etc. to add to my own damage. I also like to be able to supliment that with magic when it’s not enough.

(I also like the idea of having an animal companion, so that was another reason to pick ranger.)

Choosing professions was one of my main focuses during the betas – I wanted to try and have at least a few characters designed so that when the game came out I wouldn’t have to keep re-making them like I usually do in RPGs.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

I play an Engineer and think it fits my style nicely. I’ve always liked mid-range classes. I started off as a ranger as I’ve never really played a ranged/pet class, bit it really didn’t feel right to me. After some research and seeing what engineer kits had to offer I switched it up and rarely regretthe decission.

As for my build, I play a roaming wvw engineer, I started with rifle as it has a great mid-range control feel. I combined that with bomb kit, tool kit and an elixir, isually r or s, and hraling turret. Its a group oriented build with some support, control, and damage. It suits me just fine. I will say that ot took me a while to really click with what I should be doing, while playing how I want.

I fi.d it fun because i’m always on my toes, dodging, weaving, comboing, and by no means does it feel easy to play. I dig the challenge.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red

Posted by: Leon Derge.5239

Leon Derge.5239

I was looking for a “Paladin” type character. Obviously, I looked at Guardian as my first choice.

Guardian seems to fit the paladin role really well. between the support my Guardian can throw out, the damage he can deal, and the damage he can take I really did feel like I made a sort of Paladin with my Guardian. Guardian definitely fits my playstyle.

Warrior is also a nice alternative, especially with the vigorous shouts trait and running with “Shake it Off!” and “For Great Justice!”

“The path of the Guardian is not one to be taken lightly…”

-Rayn Brightclaw, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

Thief is my main and it fits my playstyle perfectly, I have always been a huge fan of high burst professions.

I’m also really enjoying Warrior

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

GW2 is the very first game where I found a class that perfectly fits my playstyle.
Thief’s mobility and reaction-based playstyle is very entertaining and reflexes-challenging, especially on builds that focus on timely evasion and tricks.
Very satisfying.

I’m usually more into Warrior archetypes but sadly War in GW2 is very clunky, predictable and lacks depth.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

the profession that seems to fit my playstyle most is Ranger… has been since GW1, but now they make it viable for melee as well, something I could never do in GW1 (don’t even remember if rangers could go melee… i should log in again to check)

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

the profession that seems to fit my playstyle most is Ranger… has been since GW1, but now they make it viable for melee as well, something I could never do in GW1 (don’t even remember if rangers could go melee… i should log in again to check)

They could kind of. All their attack skills are bow skills, but you could equip other weapons for certain builds. And of course you could use a melee secondary profession.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

play a Guardian
yes it does.

i somewhat miss the whack a mole healing of other mmo’s but i’ll suffice with being able to tank and heal at the same time.

@Smekras, yes rangers could melee quite effectively with a Dagger build because of Expertise lowering your energy costs to almost 0.

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

Thief fits my play style very well, especially when it comes to exploring and not wanting to fight everything to get to the end of a cave or to a specific poi/vista/skill challenge. I can’t tell you how many times I picked up a skill challenge (commune) that was guarded by a veteran simply by using shadow refuge.

The ability to completely remove myself from a fight is always great and the Thief does this well.

My other option is my Necro. Hard to kill, running with my own personal army (stupid as they can be at times) and lots of AoE to tackle the biggest groups of mobs or the ability to solo group bosses.

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

I’ve found an Engineer fits my playstyle, which is very much about planning for fights and having a wide variety of options for different situations. Eventually, maybe around “level 160” or so, I’ll have enough practice on him to actually feel competent at it.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

One of my biggest issues I’ve had with enjoying GW2 is that none of the classes have grabbed me. I’ve tried them all, most of them to 80, but they all seem to fall short in some way. I level them up and just… I don’t know, maybe I’m expecting too much, but none of them are all that fun to me.

Rather disappointing really.

For a lot of classes, traits really define the playstyles more than anything else. So getting knowledgeable about those might help.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Well I like defense but I usually prefer “knights” to “paladins” when it comes to gameplay and themes, and in most games both are great tanks, so I went with a warrior instead of a guardian.

Looking back at it, a guardian might have suited my playstyle better since warriors can’t even bunker right now, but I hate the Guardians’ shield skills (no blocks on their shield???) and I like carrying one so I’m not sure I’d find a guardian cooler, plus I find the warrior’s block skills more fun and active to use.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

I’m an altaholic who has totally given in to his problem, so I don’t really have a playstyle. I’m as comfortable playing a tanky warrior as a DPSy warrior (and I haz both). I’m cool playing support-ish or sneaky-ish or silly-ish or f-ish.

The only thing I tend not to be good at is playing a merchant type. Then again, this game doesn’t really allow for that so I’m fine.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Grandmaster Lee.9568

Grandmaster Lee.9568

Sadly no. I was looking to be a master of minions with my necromancer, but the minions suck, so I’m basically a kittenty version of a thief going D/D power build.

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I never really looked at ‘what will fit my playstyle’ to be honest. Usually I pick classes based on characters from stories I write ^^’ And so I happened to start out with a thief, while I usually play only ranged casters, sometimes hybrids.
Got the character to level 80, got bored and made a mesmer. Tried pretty much every weapon combo and in the end I went with staff/sword-focus.
I love being able to switch in and out of melee while having the ability to hide between my clones if neccesary, or make a run for it, leaving my clones behind as a decoy.
Yeps, mesmer fits my playstyle. Recently started playing my thief again too with a completely new build and enjoying that too again.

I enjoy a lot of different playstyles I gues… ^^’ As long as it comes down to either high damage, or being tough to kill

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

I’ve only been playing since christmas mesmer was a meh to me sure duplication was fun but i didnt feel the magic.

Tried ranger for a fresh start its okay and i love the pets but im not sure.

I may try ele or theif for my third character unless somebody got a better reccomendation.

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

No. I was looking forward to play a necromancer like in GW1 but they ditched all the mechanics that made me love this class. Sadly there’s nothing here that can compare to spiteful spirit, spoiled victor or any of the old hexes.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

No. I was looking forward to play a necromancer like in GW1 but they ditched all the mechanics that made me love this class.

Exactly what I think about mesmer, pretty disappointing from having 4,000hours+ on my GW1 mesmer and having about 10 hours on my GW2 mesmer…yeah >.>

About the thread, no I don’t have any that fit my play style. :/

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I have 7 classes 5 are at lv 80 the only two that really appeal to me were Ranger and Engineer neither are good at PvP or WvW which is kinda sad, but oh well..

No not really.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

Well I am a fan of Defense and I made a Defensive build for each class.

Warrior: Mace+Shield/Mace+Warhorn->this doesn’t suit me. At all. Plus Warrior in general feels to me as generic crapton of everything proffesion(maybe when/if they nerf it, it’ll be more fun. Hey! Who knows right?). I don’t feel any active change in playstyle from my Utilities(Shake it off+Signet of Stamina+Dolyak Signet+Mending).
Guardian: Mace+Shield/Sword+Shield->it is better than Warrior, but it still feels, idk, lacking. I expected more from Signet of Mercy and Judgement+Stand Your Ground. It’s kinda boring as well. Guardian has been one class that I THOUGHT would be my Main, but it is SOOO boring and faceroll.
Ranger: Defense through mobility! Yay! No really, Wilderness Survival+a mix of Carrion and Rabid jewels+Shortbow=OMG fun. Add in entangle and sharpening Stone and muddy terrain. Oh boy! I love my Ranger SO much! I Like when my Pets help me to boot(in general I love pet classes)
Thief: Defense through blindness(S/P) or through mobility(S/D) with huge Tracts of swiftness(Runes of Speed…). An awesome build. Pistol #5+Blinding Powder utility+Roll for initiative=Troll! Ridiculous really! Idk if I Like my Thief or my Ranger more(I guess Ranger because I am more keen on DoTs than I am on DDs)
Engineer: Defense in the field of Turrets! Awesome thing really! I love <3 Turrets! Whole Engineer resonates nicely with me. Only think that confused me was the toolbelt skill granted by the Rifle Turret while you don’t have it out(so small damage for such a recharge? Am I missing something?). Am a huge fan how tangible Utilities feel(skill+toolbelt+overcharge-if Turret). I guess that it is right behind Ele…
Elementalist: speaking of the devil. Defense through versatility. D/D is awesome in it’s mix of mobility and damage. I love it. As do I love staff-such a Slow and meticulous weapon. Defense mixed with DoTs(Shaman’s jewels-Amulet is Soldier’s!!!) and awesomeness that Water and Earth Attunements are. I have no Word. Really awesome. I don’t Like S/F so much tho and I am sad that there aren’t elites for elements Earth and Water(Air is represented by Tornado and Fire with Fiery Greatsword)-why no love for us ANet? I also Like how shamanistic Norn Ele with daggers feels…
Necromancer: Defense through sheer HP. It requires patience. But it is going to reward you for your patience. I haven’t tried it, yet, but it should be okay with Staff+Blood Magic+Soul reaping(OMG HP). DS then basically doubles your hp. Who would say no to 60k+hp??? Slow and efficient, just Like it should be…
Mesmer: I don’t Like him. He feels too dam weird. And I loved mes in GW1. Meh. Another time…

So my classes would go Like this:

1.Ranger(well deserved)
2.Elementalist
3.Engineer
4.Thief
5.Mesmer
6.Guardian
7.Warrior(YUCK!!!)

I withheld the ranking for Necro. It wouldn’t be fair to just put him somewhere without first trying him…

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

There are three things I look for when choosing a class. Roughly in the order of my priorities, they are:
1. Support capability
2. Survivabilty
3. Stealth

I like to support, but it’s also important for me to be able to solo effectively and travel around the map easily. In exchange, I’m more than willing to give up DPS, range, and/or in-combat mobility, which don’t matter much to me either way.

In the rare games that have a stealthy, usually medium-armored healer (the WoW druid or SWTOR smuggler, for example) I go with that. In most cases, I end up having to give up stealth and end up playing a heavily-armored cleric or paladin type.

In GW2, none of the stealth classes excel at support, and the stealth mechanic kind of sucks for my purposes anyway. The guardian, unsurprisingly, fills my other requirements quite well. I’ve tried all the other classes, but in the end, the niche the guardian fills is the niche where I naturally fall.