Dolyak Express Feb 10, 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Greetings,

We are excited to bring you the Dolyak Express Community initiative! If you’re not familiar with the Dolyak Express, you can read the original post about it called Many Questions, So Dev. For the first batch of questions, the Community Team searched all four language forums for a variety of great questions. You can see the follow up with answers here!

We are maintaining an archive of all Dolyak Express Q&A sessions. The archive is a stickied post, and will be updated each time we post new topics.

In the future, we may pick questions again from our forums, but for most Dolyak Express Q&As, we’ll open them up to specific topics. We’re now opening up a thread for questions and here’s your topic: Characters and relationships in Tyria.

Please refer back to the Many Questions, So Dev post for guidelines on asking your questions.

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

You already have the personality system built into the game, with 10 different personalities available.

We can see the impact of those in a few dialogues already, but are you planning of making a bigger use of it?

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Posted by: Ravious.4269

Ravious.4269

Can you expound on the mystery of Bahltek, and perhaps how he might relate or not to the world of Tyria as we know it in Guild Wars 2?

Kill Ten Rats – an MMO blog

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

One of Scarlet’s first attacks, before we knew it was Scarlet, was on Dragon Bash when Theo Ashford was killed. Theo Ashford, an NPC who only had a few lines of dialogue and played almost no role in the story up until that point.

To build compelling stories, you need to first give us time with characters to build a relationship. The “biconics” are an obvious example, but returning characters like XO-Tron and Marcello are also worthy mentions.

Here’s my question: most of these characters are new. Are there reasons why you moved away from characters introduced in the Personal Story? Have you considered bringing back any of those characters? Agent Zrii really blew me away (pun!) and I’d love to see her back, among a handful of others.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: larv.3456

larv.3456

In upcoming patches we will meet again with the Zephyrites? We will meet characters ancestry forme Cantha?

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

We’re now opening up a thread for questions and here’s your topic: Characters and relationships in Tyria..

Why the hell should I even care about these poorly written characters in the Living story? Rox and Braham are extremely bad example of “I know you did them but I did them any ways” character. They have zero acknowledgement to your PC and they are shove into content they shouldn’t be in the first place. More detail in this thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/nightmare/Braham-Rox-are-bad-excuse-as-NPCs

And then there Marjory and Kasmeer. I don’t know what the hell are you guys pulling off, but this relationship “story” has nothing to do with the living story and its making the whole situation a lot less serious. This thread explain this situation a lot better.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Another-lesbian-relationship

Finally, there is Scarlet. Personally, her very existence is a very insult to the Guild Wars Universe. You insert her in every game form there is, justified her “existence” by insert more badly written living story to it, and you are trying to make me believe that she is more dangerous and serious as a villain than the dragon, despite acting like a cartoon villain, wasting what probably a world worth of resources just for lulz, and the fact you guys wasted a whole lot of the player’s money to pay off Tara Strong to voice this stupid villain. Her overall connection to the world never go away and she would leave her present here even after her death. Personally, I want her retcon.

All I can say is WHY? Why are you letting these horrible characters exist and why are you letting them destroy the integrity that the game was build on?

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

Greeting,

Do do you have any plans to make changes to Dredge fractal to bring it more in line with other fractals? If so, can you give us a rough estimate?

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I don’t know if this qualifies as a “character question” (hopefully it does). But will we ever see a return of the human pantheon as real presences in this game? I know they had their exodus, but does the possibility exist that they might return, or we might get a chance to interact with them again?

It’s just that a fantasy game that is devoid of some archaic religion is disappointing. Especially when the elaborate pantheon in GW1 was so fascinating!

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Greeting,

Do do you have any plans to make changes to Dredge fractal to bring it more in line with other fractals? If so, can you give us a rough estimate?

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: LiveSpartan.8206

LiveSpartan.8206

Greeting,

Can’t be bothered to read the bolded topic? Characters and relationships in Tyria.

Posted by: Septimus.2714

Septimus.2714

I have question about Characters and relationships in Tyria.

Do you plan to create more male same sex couples? There is only one so far I know in sylvari storyline, and you must choose specific path.

I would like to see more of them.

(edited by Septimus.2714)

Posted by: NyuuNeeChan.2891

NyuuNeeChan.2891

Can we get more content with my favourite character: Trahearne? ( No sarcasm here, i really like him)

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Hello there.
Let me start by saying I really like the way the iconics are right now.
Braham and Rox are my favorites NPCs in this game.

My question is the following:
Hearts are big part of the Gw2 universe. I’ve been following this game ever since the Elementalist was released and I know you have stated many times that you want to make things a little bit different and drive away from traditional things by innovation.

But have you considered using traditional Quests or Hearts as storytelling tools for getting the players to know and get used to some characters? An example may be the deceased Captain Ashford, captain Kiel, etc.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Yep I also would like to see more male couples. It seems like ANet is bringing only lesbians because “it’s hot” for hetero people.

Posted by: Mitlerkaiser.1470

Mitlerkaiser.1470

All I can say is WHY? Why are you letting these horrible characters exist and why are you letting them destroy the integrity that the game was build on?

I agree with this fine man over here. The characters you’ve introduced to us are uttely horrible. They made me doubt your ability to write, dear Anet. Nowadays Anet seems to believe that unnecessary, laughable “character development” and relationships (out of all things there) should stand above decent lore development, quality writing, explanation of details regarding races and cultures around Tyria.

While Rox and Braham appeared somewhat decent, I feel like they got dumped down right after Flame and Frost (just like how everything else). Canach shows potential. Everything else is not even worth mentioning, because how plain boring, annoying and horrible those characters are. Especially the recent addition. I don’t think I’ve seen something as forced for a while. Most awful thing is that the writer team calls it ‘good writing’. I’ll be honest with you here. It’s not.

Don’t take it as an attack or anything. But this whole ‘story development’ left me dissapointed. You have traded decent fantasy setting development to some fanfic tier “writing”. I hope my words will reach your ears and they will reach you in the right way. If you enjoy this character development, then keep it to blogs and such. Like how you did with those several stories about Rox, Braham and etc.

Posted by: Bearzu Smash.5962

Bearzu Smash.5962

fanfic

I die a little inside every time Thorn is indirectly compared to the Living Story.

Bearzu Smash! - A Blog of a Bear of Very Little Brain
Thorn - A full-length GW2 novel in progress very nearly complete NOW FINISHED! Long gone.

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

I suppose this is more of an opinion than a question, but I’ll still attempt to phrase it like one:

Why has Guild Wars moved away from setting-driven plot and toward character-driven plot?

One of the initial draws for me was how rich the world was. Recently, that’s been very shunned. Even from the onset of GW2, I find the characters are often overloaded. Everyone has something special that makes them stand out as being above the player character and the rest of the world. For example:

*Rytlock isn’t just a member of Destiny’s Edge, he’s also a Tribune and the wielder of Sohothin.
*Logan isn’t just the heir to Gwen and Kieran, he’s also the captain of the Seraph and in love with the Queen.
*Trehearne isn’t just a Firstborn, he’s also the Marshal of the pact and the wielder of Caladbolg.
*Braham isn’t just an important Norn, he’s also Eir’s son.
*Scarlet isn’t just…well, Scarlet is pretty much everything. It’s kind of ridiculous.

My point is that even among the characters I like (I like Braham and Rtylock) they feel so far above and removed from the world. In Guild Wars, Prince Rurik was simply the prince of Ascalon, and his part in the story was very small, but he’s so memorable. Master Togo was a simple headmaster of the Shing Jea monastery. But he felt so humble and grounded that he was my favorite character in GW1. The same goes for the heroes of Tyria – Cynn, Mhenlo, Koss, Dunkoro, Captain Morghan, the Acolytes Jin and Sousuke, etc etc. They all felt real and never had anything outstanding about them. They were integral to the story and even had relationships of their own, but they never became the centerpiece. They were human, and I miss that. (Even if I am a Charr player now).

Instead I find that characters are being put in place of setting. Nearly every mission in Guild Wars had some kind of important lore piece: Stormcaller and Horn Hill, the Bloodstones, the Ascension Towers of the Margonites. The Kirin of Zen Daijun, The Spear of Archemorus and Urn of St. Viktor. The first city of Elona, the waterwork of Menkhelon, and the Great Junundu. There are dozens more. These things enriched the world and gave life to everything going on.

The world felt vast and the characters small. In Guild Wars 2 the characters feel huge and the world feels tiny. And when some characters and plots fail to hold up (like Scarlet) it feels like you’ve sacrificed the richness of the world for so little gain. This is one of the reasons I loved the Zephyr Sanctum so much, beyond it being a fun update gameplay-wise. It enriched the world instead of focusing on the characters. Many of the other updates have felt like a vehicle for the characters, instead of the characters enhancing the plot.

For example, in Guild Wars 2 it often feels like we’re being specifically told a narrative about a certain characters. We’re constantly handed this idea that Marjory and Kasmeer are in a relationship. We’re constantly handed this idea that Rox is trying to get into a Warband. The characters are being defined by their own personal motivations and biases, and not by the way they interact with the player. In Guild Wars 1, one of my favorite examples is Dunkoro. He serves as a trusted Sunspear council and you can feel both his wisdom and his hesitation, but the story is never about him. He grows on you simply by the way he interacts with you as a player character. Then, near the end of Nightfall, you find out that he sent his son to the Tomb of Primeval Kings and lost him. He faces his son in the Domain of Anguish and you can almost feel his regret. We’re not hearing a story about Dunkoro, we’re being given depth and context to someone we already care about simply because they support us in our quest. And that’s where I feel GW1 hit the mark and GW2 is missing.

So, all that in mind, why the focus on the characters instead of the world, and why the emphasis on providing a narrative of a character before we’re really given a chance to make our own assumptions and preferences about them?

(edited by Darmikau.9413)

Posted by: Hawk.3574

Hawk.3574

I enjoy seeing characters interacting with each other, it helps bring the game to life.

Will we ever see cross race/species couples, both hetero and homo? It could bring a few new race choices for us players down the line.

Posted by: Cliff.8679

Cliff.8679

I’m really curious as to what your vision is for our characters’ relationships. Up to this point, we’ve really had no say in how our characters interact with the NPCs as far as building relationships go. The personal story dictated the way our characters felt about others, and this has continued into the living story with Braham, Rox, Marjory, Kasmeer, etc. Is there anything being done to expand this in the future?

I think it’s a question worth asking, especially now, considering the story hinting at Canach potentially joining up with Destiny’s Edge 2.0. I’ll be more than a little disappointed if my character happily teams up with a murderer and terrorist with no reservations, you know?

Posted by: Madjura.2439

Madjura.2439

Will we eventually learn more about our character’s backstory and / or will you continue to develop existing relationships with characters they met during their personal story?
As charr engineer, I saved my father and helped him escape to Lion’s Arch. I was hoping I’d see him again at some point during the story or as an NPC but nothing.
The same goes for the warband you assemble as charr character, they sort of stop being relevant and you never meet them again.

In short, will you expand the relationships with characters you meet during the personal story?

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

Will we ever see cross race/species couples, both hetero and homo? It could bring a few new race choices for us players down the line.

Uh?

None of the races can breed with each other. They’re all independent species.

Posted by: HAWTERTHAN.7523

HAWTERTHAN.7523

Uh?

None of the races can breed with each other. They’re all independent species.

Well they’re free to try, but there won’t be any results. I’m pretty sure there’s one or two instances of NPCs falling for someone not of their own race, so romance is not ruled out.

Hawter

Posted by: Kiwicharr.8051

Kiwicharr.8051

Hi there,

Are there any plans to add more PC voice lines? I know its a lot of resources but the story of the game is meant to revolve a lot around the PC and we never say anything Also is there any chance that there will be more racial character interaction? Like my charr and my warband i made during the personal story doing some sort of story mission or something? thanks!

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

Will the Largos role in the world be expanded upon in the future?

Is there a chance we could see vanity mounts (no speed increase) in the gem store or as a reward? I really want my Goddess to ride a cloud

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

I’m a devout supporter of Dredge People’s Revolutionary Party, can you please send them a memo to be less aggressive in dredge fractal? Thank you!

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

As a member of one of the High Legions, a warband is supposed to be very important to charr characters. Are there any plans to bring them, and similar NPCs from other races’ early personal stories, back in focus?

I don’t want to risk Euryale getting bored.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Why can not we get married with Vorpp? love this character!

Why is it not you findable on Rata Sum to know more about him?

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

1: Your personality can be developped, but at the moment the effects have been somewhat limited. Are there any plans to give this more attention. e.g. having the personality change the facial expression?

2: I’m a lot pro lbgt and find it marvelous that Areanet, specially as an american company, is promoting lbgt relations. But personally I think it should be balanced. At the moment there are 3 same sex relations, two of them are succesfull. As far as I know there have been 2 major different sex relations. One of them is very troublesome cause one is a Queen. The other ends brutally in ‘ships of the line’. What is the current stance on this? do you think it is time to make it more evenly balanced for a while?

3: The next one cuts deeply into the personal story. It is clearly war in Tyria between the good guys and the evil elder dragons. So far in the story’s we have lost many good man and woman. But besides a pet on the back from our commander, we move along and as characters are not showing a lot of emotion over it. Examples are Hekja and Apatia. Both are your second in command and trusted friends. Both turn into risen and have to killed by our own weapons. But after that they are quickly forgotten. Are there any plans to change this in future releases? I personally believe there are possibillity’s to honour and remember the fallen better through example given, our shouts or battle cry’s (wouldn’t it be awesome when you charge into a fortress in WvW after breaking down the gate, that your character or somebody elses would shout ‘FOR TYBALT!!’

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

2: I’m a lot pro lbgt and find it marvelous that Areanet, specially as an american company, is promoting lbgt relations. But personally I think it should be balanced. At the moment there are 3 same sex relations, two of them are succesfull. As far as I know there have been 2 major different sex relations. One of them is very troublesome cause one is a Queen. The other ends brutally in ‘ships of the line’. What is the current stance on this? do you think it is time to make it more evenly balanced for a while?

From Visteri.3821s post:

“Sylvari same-sex pairings:
1. Caithe and Faolain
Dagdar and Eladus
3. Cymbel and Nia (Nia says they’re friends, but it seems like they have stronger feelings than that)
4. Roardina and one of the festival-goers

Non-sylvari same-sex pairings:
2. Marjory and Kasmeer
3. Linnea and a female player character
4. Fronis and her mate
Saldis and her girlfriend
Wjerd and Fibharr
Exiffa and her partner

Sylvari hetero pairings:
1. Morrigu and Leurent
Tiachren and Ysvelta
Gairwen and Evart
4. Variella and Hanar
Lintoina and Garrett
Leanuit and Santach
Erisdae and her partner
A citizen and his love in Ronan’s Bower
Two sylvari citizens in the Garden of Night

Non-sylvari hetero pairings:
1. Jennah and Logan
Kazz and Doxa
Tonn and Ceera
Ralena and Vassar
Snarl and Galina
2. Eir and Borje
Braham and Ottilia
Ottilia and Ebbe
Rox and Nonus
Peneloopee and Bloomanoo
Merri and Fel
Lyrica and Ewan
Lyrica and Oswald
Oswald and Zola
Oswald and Henrietta
Oswald and Estrella
Oswald and 4 other women
Fenn and Maisie
Rufus and his wife
Faren and Jasmina
Minister and Lady Wi
Deborah and Beirne
Elli and Zott
Senna and her partner
Caudecus and his wife
Doern and his wife
Forgal and his wife
Citizen that Faren hits on and her husband
Bartender in “Desperate Medicine” and his wife
Uptown Johnny and a female player character
3. Dwayna and Malchor
Cassie and Mepi
Wrelk and Broga
Jaden and Aaron
Remi and Trundle
Famke and Wjerd (unconfirmed)
Pier and Esmet
Levvi and Blingg
Harlow and Dotta
Kalle and Aldis
Eda and her husband
Myr and her husband
Kimber and her husband
Webb and his wife
Gareth and his wife
Traveling noble and her husband
Kevach and a female player character
Linnea and a male player character
4. Eir and Krennak (his dialogue suggests they had something)
Yngvi and Brynhildr
Aggren and Marcela
Gwen and Keiran
Althea and Rurik
Via and Feros
Knut and Gaerta
Bandito and Seraphette
Lord and Lady Marduke
Nellie and Caden
Dugh and Amaybel
Jorge and Bethsha
Diah and Jeb
Russ and Cicely
Welkin and Alicia
Gunther and Ine
Cobiah and Isaye
Tessa and Logan
Citizen in Rurikton and Tessa
Weyandt and at least 4 of the 12-ish people he married, if not all of them
Eliza and her husband
Arlo and his wife
Kol and his “woman”
Lyasa and her husband
Watchful Moon and his wife
Vollym and his wife
Dessa and her boyfriend
Brother-in-law of the citizen in District Promenade and his wife
Citizen who talks to the Priest of Lyssa in DR and the woman he loves
Noble in Ossan Quarter and his wife
Enthusiastically married couple in Ascalon Settlement
Refugee steadholder and her mate (unknown gender but they had children)
Guard formerly of Blue Ice Shining and his/her mate (unknown genders but they had children)
Everyone’s parents"

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Will it ever be possible to have “companions”? Like our best friend in game, or spouse, to be able to play with us and get like (say teleportation to companion) or other such goodies? Not like, anything too game breaking, but even some way to show camaraderie outside of being in the same guild would be fabulous.

I hope this counts as relationships in Tyria ^^ it’s honestly the first thing I thought of with the topic. I didn’t really think about npc relationships.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Sudden.8729

Sudden.8729

Will character “Personality” ever play any impact on the interactions of our characters with the open world or future content releases. In its current state, it really appears to do nothing to result in anything.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality

Vandallias – Champion Hunter Too Seksi – Guardian
www.twitch.tv/the_chach – Random sPVP/WvW

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Will we see more character progression on a personal level?

We’ve seen a lot of characters develop, but I feel that there’s been very little personal progression since launch pretty much.

For instance, I’d love to help out the orphanage in my home instance more.
Get them a nice big playground in front of the tavern. I imagine the seesaw and the slide are getting a bit stale for my little friends.

While leaving those silly clowns in the carnival to go bank rupt.

Not really sure if this topic is meant for that, but I’d like to believe my character and her relationships fits under the topic.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I asked this in the lore forum yesterday, but I’ll reiterate it here. I guess it counts as a “character” question.

I’d like to know more about Kasmeer’s background…specifically, how she came to be with a “Great and Gorgeous Mesmer Collective” that sent her to Kessex Hills to investigate the Tower of Nightmares. It was cloaked by a massive illusion at the time, but I assume one would have to be a powerful mesmer indeed to be in such an organization, or to be tasked with investigating such a thing.

Will we learn more of Kasmeer and her involvement with this “collective”?

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: NSKaneda.1026

NSKaneda.1026

Are you planning on giving player characters more immersion in the world of Tyria instead of them being glorified NPCs to the story?

And on related note: it’s good to see Living World evolve and show technological progress of it as well as political power-struggles but I’d like to know how it affects day-to-day player experience. I might be idealistic in the matter but ever since we, the players, defeated Zhaitan and got access to FLYING ships I can’t help but wonder why we can’t go to Elona or Cantha. The restriction of dangers of sea way has been lifted aaand… Nothing changes. One of the elder dragons has been defeated: nothing changes in the world.
Are you going to implement some kind of solution so that player-game relationship is dynamic and not static?

Last but not least: are you thinking about something to make www involvement more personal and, well, occurrences there affect players and their relationships to Tyria?

Posted by: Miksa.9285

Miksa.9285

I have a question regarding Destiny’s Edge and their role in the Living Story.
The story so far seems to be focusing more on the new characters (who I also like), but I’d not like to lose DE as iconics, especially now since they’re no longer toddlers like they were in the Personal Story.

So I guess my question is, will we be seeing more of Destiny’s Edge in the future?

Posted by: ZiemnyJoker.1763

ZiemnyJoker.1763

Yeah, what about same-sex couples but on the Gay side? I personally have seen only one pairing with such flavor – in sylvari personal storyline, and only if we decide to take a certain step in character creation screen. For me it seems like Lesbian couples are being favored by developers, as Sublimatio said – because it’s hot for hetero players to see two girls in a relationship. And on the contrary we got only one gay pairing, so “suitably” hidden by developers, inside a storyline of “one” race, and only by taking a certain step in personal story as I said before. It’s like – we are being tolerant and all, but we are going to highlight only lesbians cause that’s ok with us.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

I’m throwing in my hat for more gay dude parings. I’ve checked all my privileges and am prepared to be pandered to.

Wjerd and Fibharr

Counting them as a couple is like saying a stalker is a boyfriend to their victim. Not to mention it’s a one way unrequited thing.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Are we gonna explore more of the firstborn characters other than Caithe, Trahearne and Faolain?
In the sylvari personal story, you do get to learn more about the other firstborn but it’s very limited and too much emphasis is put upon the 3 same firstborn in my opinion.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Posted by: SenTheGreat.3120

SenTheGreat.3120

There is definitely unequal representation when it comes to same-sex couples. As someone who is part of the LGBTQIA, it’s frustrating to see that ANet is perpetuating the fetishization of lesbian couples, but simultaneously, I like that they are representing them in a form of media that doesn’t usually cater to representing the LGBT. The real question is if the fetishization outweighs the representation, or vice-versa. Also, why are there no gay male couples? When are we going to get that? Is this a time where lesbians are more accepted than gay men? Or are they scared they will offend too many people? This just confuses me. I think the fact that they are including only lesbian couples is really just them catering to the straight men that play GW2.

Mitlerkaiser.1470

You see, my friends. With this whole “Oh, bring more homosexual couples”, “We need more relationships!”, “How about different race couples!” you just convince Anet to ruin GW2’s current state of story, lore and etc further. We don’t need more relationships. They won’t really add anything to the story or anything at all. They will just please those who are desperate for such a thing. So Anet will resort to doing unnecessary things.
For example. Many races are still unexplored (especially norn), dragon corruption is not even explained much (even with all the Priory scholars studying it for a while now) and there is more. Give us characters that will contribute to the lore more. We already understood that you want to impress LGBT and DN community, but it’s time to switch to something more sensible.

SenTheGreat.3120

You see, my friends. With this whole “Oh, bring more homosexual couples”, “We need more relationships!”, “How about different race couples!” you just convince Anet to ruin GW2’s current state of story, lore and etc further. We don’t need more relationships. They won’t really add anything to the story or anything at all. They will just please those who are desperate for such a thing. So Anet will resort to doing unnecessary things.
For example. Many races are still unexplored (especially norn), dragon corruption is not even explained much (even with all the Priory scholars studying it for a while now) and there is more. Give us characters that will contribute to the lore more. We already understood that you want to impress LGBT and DN community, but it’s time to switch to something more sensible.

They could continue to explore the lore while simultaneously representing underrepresented groups. This game is already extremely white washed, and it pretty much only caters to heterosexual males. I’m sure the people at ANet are smart enough to be able to represent POC and the LGBTQIA while expanding the story. I’m not saying “OMG we need a /romantic/ living story update!!!!”, I’m saying “Hey, people who aren’t white exist and there are such things as gay men”.

Mitlerkaiser.1470

Or they could just not bother representing either and continue what they were doing during GW1 without causing anything like this again. What I ask you is to leave your bubble and realise that LGBT is far from “underrepresented” nowadays.

(edited by Moderator)

SenTheGreat.3120

Or they could just not bother representing either and continue what they were doing during GW1 without causing anything like this again. What I ask you is to leave your bubble and realise that LGBT is far from “underrepresented” nowadays.

I have no doubt that you are a straight white man and you clearly have no idea what under representation is.

(edited by Moderator)

Mitlerkaiser.1470

Ten out of ten.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: The Last Hobbit.6492

The Last Hobbit.6492

Once the mod finishes removing or editing the above posts, please edit out this statement too
Can you people stop defining people or characters by their sexuality, gender or race? What does it matter if a character is homosexual, heterosexual, male, female, black, white, asian or asuran? Let the character be a character, defined by WHO they are, not WHAT they are. Stop demanding specific things because you “prefer” those to others or they’re “underrepresented”. Good characters are good characters, regardless of who they take to bed with them or what color they are. For all I care, ANet can add rainbow skinned gender-neutral characters that have relationships with watchwork sprockets.

My question
Recently, characters seem a lot more fleshed out and entertaining. Is this due to a specific change in how you write or just learning from experience?

(edited by The Last Hobbit.6492)

Posted by: cherrycola.3127

cherrycola.3127

From Visteri.3821s post:

“Sylvari same-sex pairings:
1. Caithe and Faolain
Dagdar and Eladus
3. Cymbel and Nia (Nia says they’re friends, but it seems like they have stronger feelings than that)
4. Roardina and one of the festival-goers

Non-sylvari same-sex pairings:
2. Marjory and Kasmeer
3. Linnea and a female player character
4. Fronis and her mate
Saldis and her girlfriend
Wjerd and Fibharr
Exiffa and her partner

Sylvari hetero pairings:
1. Morrigu and Leurent
Tiachren and Ysvelta
Gairwen and Evart
4. Variella and Hanar
Lintoina and Garrett
Leanuit and Santach
Erisdae and her partner
A citizen and his love in Ronan’s Bower
Two sylvari citizens in the Garden of Night

Non-sylvari hetero pairings:
1. Jennah and Logan
Kazz and Doxa
Tonn and Ceera
Ralena and Vassar
Snarl and Galina
2. Eir and Borje
Braham and Ottilia
Ottilia and Ebbe
Rox and Nonus
Peneloopee and Bloomanoo
Merri and Fel
Lyrica and Ewan
Lyrica and Oswald
Oswald and Zola
Oswald and Henrietta
Oswald and Estrella
Oswald and 4 other women
Fenn and Maisie
Rufus and his wife
Faren and Jasmina
Minister and Lady Wi
Deborah and Beirne
Elli and Zott
Senna and her partner
Caudecus and his wife
Doern and his wife
Forgal and his wife
Citizen that Faren hits on and her husband
Bartender in “Desperate Medicine” and his wife
Uptown Johnny and a female player character
3. Dwayna and Malchor
Cassie and Mepi
Wrelk and Broga
Jaden and Aaron
Remi and Trundle
Famke and Wjerd (unconfirmed)
Pier and Esmet
Levvi and Blingg
Harlow and Dotta
Kalle and Aldis
Eda and her husband
Myr and her husband
Kimber and her husband
Webb and his wife
Gareth and his wife
Traveling noble and her husband
Kevach and a female player character
Linnea and a male player character
4. Eir and Krennak (his dialogue suggests they had something)
Yngvi and Brynhildr
Aggren and Marcela
Gwen and Keiran
Althea and Rurik
Via and Feros
Knut and Gaerta
Bandito and Seraphette
Lord and Lady Marduke
Nellie and Caden
Dugh and Amaybel
Jorge and Bethsha
Diah and Jeb
Russ and Cicely
Welkin and Alicia
Gunther and Ine
Cobiah and Isaye
Tessa and Logan
Citizen in Rurikton and Tessa
Weyandt and at least 4 of the 12-ish people he married, if not all of them
Eliza and her husband
Arlo and his wife
Kol and his “woman”
Lyasa and her husband
Watchful Moon and his wife
Vollym and his wife
Dessa and her boyfriend
Brother-in-law of the citizen in District Promenade and his wife
Citizen who talks to the Priest of Lyssa in DR and the woman he loves
Noble in Ossan Quarter and his wife
Enthusiastically married couple in Ascalon Settlement
Refugee steadholder and her mate (unknown gender but they had children)
Guard formerly of Blue Ice Shining and his/her mate (unknown genders but they had children)
Everyone’s parents"

Man, seeing it spelled out like this just highlights how badly we need a few gay male couples. Prominent NPCs or just guys you hear talking as you run past them in a hub city, anything at all.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Hey everybody, let’s please get back on topic. This thread is for you all to pose your questions about characters and relationships in Tyria to our developers. This is not a thread to discuss social commentary or the representation of certain types of people in the game with each other.

If you have a question related to the topic, please do ask it, but also please keep posts that are not questions to a minimum.

Thank you

SenTheGreat.3120

Hey everybody, let’s please get back on topic. This thread is for you all to pose your questions about characters and relationships in Tyria to our developers. This is not a thread to discuss social commentary or the representation of certain types of people in the game with each other.

If you have a question related to the topic, please do ask it, but also please keep posts that are not questions to a minimum.

Thank you

Is ANet ever going to add a gay male couple to the world or maybe an important character that isn’t white?

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

What if any changes to condition damage builds have been discussed? Specifically, related to the fact that virtually every condition build is significantly more dependent on food (for increased condition duration) than power builds are for their respective food? Personally, it has been months since I’ve seriously played a condition build on a character because the constant reliance on food for such a big part of condition damage potency has always felt like unfun clutter to me.

i.e. the ability to pick up and play on all my power build characters does not compare to pick up and play with a condition build because I feel compelled to use food. And quite honestly I have always felt that up to 40% condition duration increase is such a huge factor to condition damage that feels awkward having to come from food to get to 100% duration increase.

Bottom line for my opinion: temporary player enhancement mechanics such as food should feel like a boost, not a defining factor, to a player’s effectiveness in combat. Thoughts on this?

(edited by Mal.1670)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

From Visteri.3821s post:

Ok let me rephrase the question just slightly. Im not talking bout numbers but bout screentime. There is a lot of focus in both the living story and the personal story on lgbt-relations. You are right (I guess, didn’t check the full list) bout the lesser characters. My questions stays, that it is my personal feeling that in the major story lines, the lgbt story lines get an uneven amount of screentime.

I’m dutch. I know that a famous lgbt fighter and social media Guru george Takei recently posted an article that during the olympics a dutch ‘lesbian’ skater won gold in kitten -hating Russia.
The article has many errors. First off all this skater isn’t lesbian. She is bi-sexual. She got very confused when she found out that she was in love with a woman. But after many considerations (and a dip in her performance) she came to the conclusion she was in lvoe with a person and the sex of that person is unimportant. She embraced that relationship and for reasons unknown to me, they broke up at one point. At the moment she is in love with a man. bottom line. It’s bout love, not gender!

So my question remains. is Anet aware that love from all angels should be promoted, not just the ‘rebel’ angle? (and the quotations are cause in my country it is not rebelious at all, but for some nationality’s it is)

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!