Don't allow runes in ascended armour

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

At least this way exotics will remain compeditive and ascended gear will remain useful for it’s apparent purpose with infusions in that one dungeon you’re adding.

I’m sure more than a few players would be relieved if this were the case, I know I’d be one of them.

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

Ummm….they already said you can’t put anything but infusions in ascended gear. What’s the point of this request?

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

Currently, Ascendant gear cannot be upgraded aside from Infusion.
They do, however, have the same stats as an Exotic with Runes(upgrades) plus a little something extra (~8% on each stat)

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Ummm….they already said you can’t put anything but infusions in ascended gear. What’s the point of this request?

Where is the post in which they said this? I’ve not seen them say this anywhere.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

This is already the case…have you not noticed the extra stats are the equivalent of a jewel/orb upgrade and the Infusion slot is the ONLY slot that’s open for modification?

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

This is already the case…have you not noticed the extra stats are the equivalent of a jewel/orb upgrade and the Infusion slot is the ONLY slot that’s open for modification?

This, it’s not a coincidence, lol. But people will still find a reason to make this seem game breaking. -shrug- I’m looking forward to this.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The thing is that right now the only infusion they have hinted at is the one that protects against the agony effect. There is nothing stopping them from adding in other types that give a more general benefit to your character effectively replicating the idea of runes/gems.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Cloud.7613

The thing is that right now the only infusion they have hinted at is the one that protects against the agony effect. There is nothing stopping them from adding in other types that give a more general benefit to your character effectively replicating the idea of runes/gems.

We can only hope that isn’t the case because THEN people would be able to complain, I’ll complain as well. Till then, no, I’ll wait to see what happens.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Except they’re not COMPLETELY braindead. So far we have heard of “offensive”, “defensive” and “omni” variations. “Offensive” will most likely refer to the strength of attacks against Karka armoured shells that have to be broken before doing damage, “Defensive” most likely refers to protection against Agony, and “Omni” most likely gets both to a lesser degree. These Infusion types should allow you to more efficiently define your role in new dungeon content that will take advantage of them. They’re not stupid enough to give you a general benefit outside of dungeons when the actual upgrades are already within the gear and thus null the need for more. Until I actually see any new runes, sigils or general upgrades that fit in this Infusion slot, I am standing by and in full support of the new system.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

At least this way exotics will remain compeditive and ascended gear will remain useful for it’s apparent purpose with infusions in that one dungeon you’re adding.

I’m sure more than a few players would be relieved if this were the case, I know I’d be one of them.

It´s still stupid, so i need a complete new set that i only use in one zone? No please, if that´s the way they want me to spend money on inventory expansion i´m out.

And they already said, that ascended is better than exotic, so i assume that ascended will be better than exotic + runes.

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

SiNoS.2147

Thing is weapon’s and armor can have sigil’s/rune’s,and gem’s slotted into the exiting versions where as jewelery can only have gem’s. Also add the fact legendary gear is being brought up to par with ascended, legendary already has sigil slot, theres a chance there adding an infusion slot as well. All they have shown us is one piece of jewelery. I personally have not seen anything on there plans for the weapons and armor so unless you can point out a post on it it is possible weapons and armor will have both slots on them.

Cloud.7613

Thing is weapon’s and armor can have sigil’s/rune’s,and gem’s slotted into the exiting versions where as jewelery can only have gem’s. Also add the fact legendary gear is being brought up to par with ascended, legendary already has sigil slot, theres a chance there adding an infusion slot as well. All they have shown us is one piece of jewelery. I personally have not seen anything on there plans for the weapons and armor so unless you can point out a post on it it is possible weapons and armor will have both slots on them.

No one said it was 100% correct, but everyone at this point is assuming, some more then others. You did bring a good point with the legendary though.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

It would make sense for them to keep slots on weapons and armor… I mean, all the rune sets they’ve already created would just go to waste otherwise.

They both had two slots in the original Guild Wars.

Armor had insignia and runes.

Weapons had inscriptions and another weapon-specific modifier.

SiNoS.2147

No one said it was 100% correct, but everyone at this point is assuming, some more then others. You did bring a good point with the legendary though.

Eh im just looking at the posts saying its already this way. And ya i noticed that about the legendary almost instantly. If they do that i seriously hope its not just a special thing for legendary gear as that does kinda ruin legendary’s.

Posted by: Vorz.7952

Vorz.7952

From Linsey Murdocks post:

“The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. Instead of upgrade slots, Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them. "

So no rune/sigil slot. Anet could in theory offer so many different ascended versions that you still have the flexibility the upgrade slot system gives you. But that we don’t know yet.

Posted by: Barrons.7290

Barrons.7290

Ok people lets sit down and look at this with open eyes a little.

Ascended gear will have higher stats then exotic – yes
Ascended gear for all we know will only have infusion upgrade slots that effect damage from pve bosses in the dungeon – yes
Ascended gear will not have upgrade slots for runes or in any shape or form be able to have the special effects of runes – yes

This is facts we have as far as ANet has said nothing about runes on armor as they arent the same as jewels like in rings/amulets etc as they can only be put in armor.

So lets look at this you get from what everyone is saying, an 8% increase in stats with ascended (do we really need to count mag find?) thats about 100 ish power and precision (we still dont know the exact stats so only speculation).

Now lets look at runes, lets say you have strength runes in your armor. the 3 meaningful set bonus you get is
20% might duration
3% chance to gain might for 20sec when hit
5% damage while under the effects of might

so we have a choice 100 ish more power/pre or having might on you alot longer (which stacks to 25) and having a 5% damage increase overall (including weapon damage i might add so its really 5% of lets say 3.5k damage which is 175 power)

From that calculation you still do more upfront damage with exotic gear and runes.

Now if you arent a high damage character and went for condition damage the ascended gear might be better for a higher power increase, but then there is still the condition damage runes which do more in a condition spec then pure power/percision upgrade ascended gear gives.

From all that im seeing is ANet giving us more options. Either more upfront stats with Ascended or going more spec heavy with exotic/runes. This is not a gear tredmill just different build options. I for one will be staying with my exotic gear with strength runes in them for that extra might duration and higher damage while under might.

Note: if ANet does give ascended with runes then you have all the right to laugh at me.

Last Note: From all we know ascended amulets/rings may not include all the stats the jewels offer in diversity so again some builds could still get more of what they want then what ascended gear offers not every one goes glass cannon power/precision.

(edited by Barrons.7290)

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

This is facts we have as far ANet has said nothing about runes on armor as they arent the same as jewels like in rings/amulets etc as they can only be put in armor.

Actually, Linsey was VERY clear about Runes/Upgrades:
’The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. ’
Stats AND functionality.

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

Posted by: Barrons.7290

Barrons.7290

Its still under speculation till we see the actual armor, she didn’t specificly say “runes” just “upgrade components” which could just mean jewels.

I understand how people are feeling but if you look deep into it nothing about runes has been mentioned just upgrade components (it is a broad term i know).

Edit: to have runes built into armor they would need to create like what 25 pieces of armor with each of the rune sets? thats alot of pieces to build, this is why i think they only mean jewels not runes as there is only a few different jewels.

(edited by Barrons.7290)

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

…. Dont worry about it, they started with accessories first for a reason. Ascended gear is a crap half backed idea that was tossed together at the 11th hour; the idea that you can pre-select the upgrade component that people will want in their gear is crazy, but it was the only way to cram a new upgrade type into the mix, without needing to fix the game to handle 2 slots.

What your going to see in the near future:
- ascended tokens because random drops are ‘bad’ and vendors are ‘good’
-ascended quality upgrade components ( all trash drops)
- separate infusion and upgrade slots on ascended gear. they will call it an improvement we ask for but really the mechanic will just be finished