Don't forget why Warhammer online failed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: franktheemt.4036

franktheemt.4036

After 3 months of not a single news update or any communication with players people gave up and left Warhammer and it never recovered. We need frequent updates (I want to know whats going on every time a new build is available and my client downloads something) and we need an at least rough update on your current priorities and long term goals. I can deal with the strangely large number of bugs in game even after a month.. but feeling like we aren’t being heard is a problem.

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

Arena Net has communicated very well and still is. They have posted patch notes, told us what they are doing about bots. Let us know when hacked accounts were their priority. A recent news article detailed what their plans for security were.

You have to actually take the time to read the forums and look at the dev tracker and you’ll see they are very forthcoming about a lot of their intentions and where their priorities are.

(edited by MrsAngelD.6971)

Posted by: XXOwnsXY.9465

XXOwnsXY.9465

I think Anet has been very good at communicating. They may not give us all of the details, but if an issue is enough of an issue, they certainly let us know where they stand. Even if its “we are aware and working on it”…its enough for me..and they have said it many times.

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

They are constantly informing us and they react to threads as well. I don’t know where you got the idea that they don’t say anything…. Maybe check the forums more than once a week and you’ll see.

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

After 3 months of not a single news update or any communication with players people gave up and left Warhammer and it never recovered. We need frequent updates (I want to know whats going on every time a new build is available and my client downloads something) and we need an at least rough update on your current priorities and long term goals. I can deal with the strangely large number of bugs in game even after a month.. but feeling like we aren’t being heard is a problem.

Use Dev Tracker.
Use Twitter.
Use Facebook.
Spy on them 24/7. (<—seems you really want this)

Get a grip and relax. It’s only been 1 month since release. Do you really need updates every minute? Seriously?

Posted by: robot.9134

robot.9134

Anet had horrible communication in GW1 and its bleeding over into GW2.

Bots and security? Honestly I could deal with bots… what i can’t deal with is the boring content that is driving players and whole guilds back to other games. Bots are NOT the major cause of people leaving. Its the content.

WAR communicated great regarding security and bots as well. The problem wasn’t necessarily communication…it was getting their priorities straight and quickly fixing issues that where driving players away. Instead the important issues were placed on the back burner instead of being multi tasked with a quickness.

I am not impressed one bit with Anets discussions about bots and security. I would be impressed if they openly discussed most of the plans to fix the concerns in these forums AS WELL AS bot/security issues. At this rate im not sure how many people are going to wait around months for class balancing and fixes for all of the various 70-80 content issues.

We need more than “fixed some de’s” in patch notes. was it 2? 10? I dont think its asking for much considering the payoff when it gives your customers confidence that you are making progress.

(edited by robot.9134)

Posted by: Delacroix.8594

Delacroix.8594

Guilds still have some major issues that they haven’t fixed and should have been one of the top priorities (being a game called Guild Wars). People unable to represent their guilds, upgrades disappearing, restrictions going back to default and sometimes guilds being deleted.

Posted by: franktheemt.4036

franktheemt.4036

I am talking content. Are we getting some content patches or is this what we get until the first xpac? What kind of ideas for future content (from what they would like to do to what they plan to do)? Do they realize there isn’t anything to bring a sense of character progression after 80 and if so what do they plan to do about it?

Believe me I am not a GW hater – I really want it to succeed but am already finding myself logging in less and less and it is getting me a bit worried. There is already a noticeable emptiness to many areas on my high (previously full) server and I have to skip DEs on my lower alts because there is nobody around.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

except that the biggest endgame piece for GW2, WvW, is working more or less perfectly and people are eating it up like dessert.

oh and GW2 doesnt have a countdown until funds run out. the game was and is mad profitable as b2p/rmt. the countdown to doom is getting old fast, so stop it.

in terms of content, what you’re getting: a dynamic event content live team, upcoming xpacs, and an entire tpvp package for esports (replays, maps, balancing, etc.). this is what’s confirmed.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

(edited by nerva.7940)

Posted by: Evil.9061

Evil.9061

@Nerva. I just cant think of Zerg V Zerg as endgame. Time will tell and if my server or 4 guilds I have the option of representing are any indication….I’m not alone.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

not sure what you mean. im in a small wvw guild and we roam in groups of 10 taking down towers, supply camps, and pve objectives. plenty of small gang fighting on the map, and you contribute a ton.

you are not alone in the sense that you and some others stubbornly refuse to l2p WvW.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: fingis.2867

fingis.2867

I think what killed Warhammer is that even though it’s very similar to GW2, lots of health, low damage, DEs, etc, Warhammer online didn’t do realm versus realm very well.

People were swapping keeps and nobody was defending.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

except that the biggest endgame piece for GW2, WvW, is working more or less perfectly and people are eating it up like dessert.

oh and GW2 doesnt have a countdown until funds run out. the game was and is mad profitable as b2p/rmt. the countdown to doom is getting old fast, so stop it.

in terms of content, what you’re getting: a dynamic event content live team, upcoming xpacs, and an entire tpvp package for esports (replays, maps, balancing, etc.). this is what’s confirmed.

Ummm WvW isn’t working perfectly. It works better than RvR did in WAR but it still has a bunch of issues. A lot of people are getting fed up with the night capping issue (whether you believe it is an issue or not does not matter) and either transferring or quitting. Class balance disparity(although BW’s in WAR were worse). Invisible enemies. Snowballing. Objectives being taken way too fast(<3 minutes for a fully upgraded keep?).

You better believe GW2 has a countdown just like any other MMO. Sorry, but they still need to pay ongoing salaries and development costs. They are planning to do this by cash shop sales, but if players continue to stop playing they won’t be selling anything. The issues I mentioned in WvW are just one part of this. With upgrades/siege costing a good bit of money, some use gems. If people quit WvW then they won’t be buying gems to turn into gold and ArenaNet will not be making money.

What this game currently needs is some good fun battlegrounds with different gamemodes where people use their persistent gear and earn rewards they can use on their persistent characters. It also needs dueling(how this wasn’t in the game at launch boggles my mind). EPIC dynamic event chains that lead to a raid boss(Metrica fire elemental :P) that also stay as far away from ORR as possible. They need to also add a ton more exotic sets with different stats, there shouldn’t be exotics used just for skins because they have stats no one wants(I’m looking at you WvW).

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

WH didn’t fail for lack of communication, it failed because the PVE was horrible and RvR was badly thought out and went through fixes tha twere worse than what they tried to fix.

Just saying…

Posted by: Valhingen.4957

Valhingen.4957

Communicating on Facebook and Twitter is good, but should not be the priority. There are a lot of people who don’t like those social platforms (aka companies that sell your personal info for profit). I expect updates in the launcher of the game, not on a third person site.

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

Communicating on Facebook and Twitter is good, but should not be the priority. There are a lot of people who don’t like those social platforms (aka companies that sell your personal info for profit). I expect updates in the launcher of the game, not on a third person site.

That’s why it’s a good idea checking the News and Announcements or Dev Tracker.
Or you meant they haven’t sent you a PM to tell you their future plans?

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everyone.

Thanks for expressing your concerns. We know the need of the community to be informed about what the dev team is doing to fix all the issues addressed. It is totally understandable that you want to know what is happening “behind the scenes” and we keep that in mind as an ongoing priority. We are indeed working on it daily and posting actively in different platforms, as well as in the official forums.

I will now proceed to close this thread.