Don't like RNG boxes? then don't buy them

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zerbo.5381

Zerbo.5381

I’m just curious how many of these updates with RNG boxes that have rare drops is it going to take before people learn to stop buying them if they don’t like it in the first place? You are only encouraging this type of content release in the future. After flame and frost and Southsun, you know the likely consequences of buying these new chests (getting next to nothing), so stop complaining about it here on the forums and just don’t buy them in the first place.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I am fortunate, I learnt from everyone else on this forum and never bought a chest/keys. In fact the punishing RNG system in GW2 has been pushing me away from the game for some time, long before the complaint threads appeared.

I am a loot driven player and if I have to ‘work’ for hours a day for a year to get an item I want then it’s time for me to find another game. I’m not quite there because WvW is keeping me entertained but I’m having to search for more and more reasons to log on instead of booting up Skyrim and the like…

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

Eh, I pretty much learned my lesson thanks to the free key offered for the black lion chests very early. With every free key unlocking a whole lot of nothing, it just reinforced my opinion that it really wasn’t worth spending any proper currency on.

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

Eh, I pretty much learned my lesson thanks to the free key offered for the black lion chests very early. With every free key unlocking a whole lot of nothing, it just reinforced my opinion that it really wasn’t worth spending any proper currency on.

This is exactly what taught me.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’m just curious how many of these updates with RNG boxes that have rare drops is it going to take before people learn to stop buying them if they don’t like it in the first place? You are only encouraging this type of content release in the future. After flame and frost and Southsun, you know the likely consequences of buying these new chests (getting next to nothing), so stop complaining about it here on the forums and just don’t buy them in the first place.

This is a bit like telling a gambling addict to just stop gambling.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Only keys (and chests) I have used are like this. I don’t know how many BL chests I have sitting in the bank, but since the rate that I get keys is far lower than the rate I get these chests I am assured of never opening them all (probably even most).

Posted by: Khaldar.7486

Khaldar.7486

I am not sure if this post was meant to be a separate complaint against my post. As a returning player, I was just sharing a “first time” experience on RNG boxes. And I do agree with “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.” The RNG boxes taught me a lesson. $20 for nothing, Yeah. I learned my lesson. And hopefully, these posts deter others from purchasing them too.

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I will take this opportunity to, again, inform anet that I am willing to buy gems and purchase these weapon skins IF YOU PUT THEM DIRECTLY IN THE GEM STORE!!! I have bought the molten axe, consortium scythe, Rox’s quiver and several town outfits. I would have also bought Halloween weapons, Molten weapons, SAB weapons and even Jade weapons if you would just stop putting them in RNG chests and sell them directly instead! If you just HAVE to do this rng crap, atleast put the weapons in the shop after the event is over! That way, people whom don’t want to gamble can still get what they want and you’ll still get paid!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I will take this opportunity to, again, inform anet that I am willing to buy gems and purchase these weapon skins IF YOU PUT THEM DIRECTLY IN THE GEM STORE!!! I have bought the molten axe, consortium scythe, Rox’s quiver and several town outfits. I would have also bought Halloween weapons, Molten weapons, SAB weapons and even Jade weapons if you would just stop putting them in RNG chests and sell them directly instead! If you just HAVE to do this rng crap, atleast put the weapons in the shop after the event is over! That way, people whom don’t want to gamble can still get what they want and you’ll still get paid!

You could get the SAB weapons just by playing SAB with no RNG. Just save your baubles. I didn’t do that much of SAB but I saved enough baubles to get the backpack for my asura.

Posted by: WolfOwl.3968

WolfOwl.3968

In another MMO I played they called similar items “Gashas” while the playerbase called them “Gotchas.”

The unfortunate reality is there will always be people willing to buy these things by the truckload, making them hugely profitable. It would be remarkable if Anet stopped with the RNG boxes (that’s not a condemnation of Anet, would YOU stop doing something that was making money for your company?).

I’d like to see skins like the RNG skins become available through a vendor, even at a substantial cost, however.

“I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed to him.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Two reactions to people buying these things occur to me.

1) I could rage that their willingness to spend on random chance means ANet will continue with this practice, and I will not have the opportunity to buy skins from the gem store at a fixed price.

2) I could decide I don’t care about the skins, and be happy they are supporting the game.

I picked two.

Ommv.

Vayne.8563

2) I could decide I don’t care about the skins, and be happy they are supporting the game.

No. Supporting the game did nothing considering the lack of real content update and not the fluff we have faced months after months since the release of fractals. I’d rather see the player base starve anet at this point because the reward for supporting anet (getting nothing since it’s terrible RNG) had no impact on content update.

These players keep feeding this terrible business practice and in turn anet will keep putting out this kind of crap month after month while ignoring the players who want real content and not something like Canach’s Lair and dragonstool.

I’m sure a whole lot of people like the living story MORE than fractals. Fractals fits your play style and that’s fine. And I like fractals too. However, unlike you, I also like the living story, partly because I’m an achievement hound, but partly because I find it fun.

Now, you can say till you’re blue in the face we haven’t had a real update (and that this is just fluff) but in reality what you’re saying is, they’re not making updates FOR ME. Which is okay, but it makes you sound entitled.

Dragonball is one of best minigames I’ve played to date. Before that I really enjoyed crab toss. You may not like that stuff and that’s fine, but it doesn’t mean the game only has fluff. How is arena PvP fluff, anyway?

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

I don’t know. Lets find out how many more updates with rng boxes it takes. I guess three. Yeesh

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

1) I could rage that their willingness to spend on random chance means ANet will continue with this practice, and I will not have the opportunity to buy skins from the gem store at a fixed price.

I picked two.

Ommv.

I picked 3) i gave up on the game and play other MMO’s with out RNG stupidity, my money goes to them now, i know i’m one person but no game deserves money when they scam their customers like this one does..

Putting your head in the sand doesn’t really help.

IndigoSundown.5419

I picked two.

Ommv.

I picked 3) i gave up on the game and play other MMO’s with out RNG stupidity, my money goes to them now, i know i’m one person but no game deserves money when they scam their customers like this one does..

Good luck over there. In those other MMO’s. The ones where there’s no RNG. What games were those, again? They sure aren’t the F2P ones. Which probably means P2P, which I find to be a monumental scam. Again, ymmv.

I’m not sure if that last was an accusation, but if it was … I see this game for what it is to me — the best game for the money in terms of hours of enjoyment since, well, Guild Wars. If I walked away today I’d be satisfied that I got my money’s worth. I’m sorry that you decided you don’t enjoy it, but I’m not going to rage about something that I can’t do anything about. I don’t spend money on RNG stuff, but I cannot stop those people who do.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I picked two.

Ommv.

Good luck over there. In those other MMO’s. The ones where there’s no RNG. What games were those, again? They sure aren’t the F2P ones. Which probably means P2P, which I find to be a monumental scam. Again, ymmv.

I’m not sure if that last was an accusation, but if it was … I see this game for what it is to me — the best game for the money in terms of hours of enjoyment since, well, Guild Wars. If I walked away today I’d be satisfied that I got my money’s worth. I’m sorry that you decided you don’t enjoy it, but I’m not going to rage about something that I can’t do anything about. I don’t spend money on RNG stuff, but I cannot stop those people who do.

Uh i play the Secret World with my other GW2 friend now, its buy to Play too, same as GW2.
Obviously try some other games not all are like you’re suggesting, yes GW2 could have been great but whoever runs this cash cow has lost the plot..

IndigoSundown.5419

I picked two.

Ommv.

Uh i play the Secret World with my other GW2 friend now, its buy to Play too, same as GW2.
Obviously try some other games not all are like you’re suggesting, yes GW2 could have been great but whoever runs this cash cow has lost the plot..

You’ve made no secret of your disappointment w/ GW2. I hope you enjoy TSW. I bought it when it went F2P. Played until I got to Tier 7 gear, then got sick as a dog for 2 weeks, so sick I did nothing but a little forum reading, then back to bed — and I never went back to TSW. I can’t put my finger on why. It might have been the skill unlocking system, which I found tedious or the lack of replayability (I alt, I alt a lot). I may go back eventually to finish the story, but other than the story, the game just didn’t grab me, whereas this one did. I guess no game appeals to everyone.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I don’t like RnG boxes and I will never buy them- obviously many people do which is why we still have this model.

It really makes me sad that the last 3 weapon sets were hidden in boxes while people who just play the game or are willing to buy gems to purchase skins get nothing.

I really really wanted several of the jade skins- I have the gems. The gems will sit in my bank because I will not spend it on chance.

Some people like to gamble some don’t why not just have the boxes for 100 gems like they are now and the skins for say 800 gems? Win Win.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’d say don’t buy the rich coffers, the only way we can show Anet that nobody wants them (well some do xD)

some got 0 tickets out of 10 rich coffers. One in the forums got 3 tickets out of 250 normal coffers. Normal coffers drop from every single mob in the game. Go do events for a few days and kill hoardes of mobs before you spend your money on rich coffers.

Just my opinion

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I have already bought their molten alliance pickaxe. I have already bought their consortium harvesting sickle. Once I get my Logging axe I am done buying stuff from them because, unfortunately, there is no more good buys after that.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Considering how awesome tne skins are, im surprised they make it so needlessly hard to obtain. Id buy a few diff skins straight from the store, but the hideously low chance of a a drop from a store bought chest makes no sense.

I even bought 200 coffers off the tp, but nothing. Why the need for such a low drop rate here too? All it is doing is sowing bad feeling. If rng is the way the company wishes to go, then make the chances realistic. Gambling works on the principle the player feels like they have a chance to win, but this isnt the case here.

Sure the gem store will be raking in money atm, but it isnt sustainable long term. More and more ppl are getting angry over it and thus less ppl will buy them as months roll on. Most seem happy to support Anet financially, but not in this way

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I won’t buy RNG boxes.

I would buy the skins had they just offered them for gems. I’d even purchase extra gems to get the skins.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Doofus Overload.4061

Doofus Overload.4061

Sigh, this form of gambling is not going away, rng is here to stay unless everyone stops buying the flippin things, and just like trying to get a director of a corporation to think about other human beings, it just isn’t going to happen.

I’m rather partial to some cheese on toast

Marcus Greythorne.6843

guys, people buy those boxes… as long as this happens it will stay. It’s like that with the new Xbox, people complain but buy it anyway… humans are like the opposite of Skritt: the more we are, the stupider it gets

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Doofus Overload.4061

Doofus Overload.4061

“humans are like the opposite of Skritt: the more we are, the stupider it gets”

Made my day this, brilliant!

I’m rather partial to some cheese on toast

Vayne.8563

I picked two.

Ommv.

You didn’t like the game anyway. Every new MMO that comes out is going to be objectionable to people in one way or another, because every new game that comes out, at least any with any scope, is going to need a boatload of money to keep it going. It’s not like people can get away with charging subscriptions anymore. So if people are now used to voice acting (which costs a ton), and all the other odds and ends that have been introduced over the years, people will be forced to pay for it somehow.

You don’t like the game. Don’t pretend you left just over RNG boxes.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

people will be forced to pay for it somehow.

yeah but they had a good idea (Braham and Rox’s weapons for gems) and scrapped it… I don’t believe that no one bought those. Why not put in a ticket for 1000gems? People would buy it and reputation would become better instantly. (it happened at F&F, people were happy with these weapons in the store).

I can only assume that this reputation means nothing to NCSoft and money is more important to them, since “few” people spend TONS of money on RNG.

Vayne.8563

yeah but they had a good idea (Braham and Rox’s weapons for gems) and scrapped it… I don’t believe that no one bought those. Why not put in a ticket for 1000gems? People would buy it and reputation would become better instantly. (it happened at F&F, people were happy with these weapons in the store).

I can only assume that this reputation means nothing to NCSoft and money is more important to them, since “few” people spend TONS of money on RNG.

I don’t believe no one bought those either (since I did). The problem is how much money do the make one way vs. the other way. If they don’t make enough money to support their project doing it one way, they will move to doing it the other way.

I’m relatively sure that they make a whole lot more money on RNG boxes. Not a little, but a lot. If that’s the case, and you were the company, what would you do?

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

They make money and will keep selling them.

The game I played before this one had cashshop ‘packs’ that had endgame gear in them. Not even endgame gear that was farmable, gear that was a tier or two above what was farmable.
Seeing these boxes here was unsettling at first, until I realized……..they have nothing of any real use in them. At all. There’s nothing in them that affects the game in any way besides eye candy. The only real problem with the way it is now, is the stuff is account bound.
Free up the skins from the boxes. This allows people who like to play RNG have fun, while also letting people who dont like RNG save and just outright buy any eye-candy skin they want from the TP.

These boxes as they are, besides the binding of the skins, doesnt bother me in the slightest. Though if the day ever comes that anything of any real consequence, like gears or something game altering, starts to appear in these chests though, I’ll be dropping this game and not looking back at it.

As they stand now…the chests are the aforementioned "fluff’ that somebody mentioned. They give cosmetic changes that affect gameplay in no way at all. Its that not fluff, I dont know what is.

(edited by MrRuin.9740)

Posted by: Loyo.8526

Loyo.8526

I understand the frustration about the RNG Boxes in the game as It made it hard for me to obtain molten weapons, but understand that we are lucky with this go round… They actually drop from the normal coffers… I already got my Ticket day one. Took literally less than 24 hours, only some go to and initiative in farming.

Khloe Deschanel – Human Necromancer/ Ami Ginju – Human Ranger [DOLO] -SBI
I stream sometimes: http://www.twitch.tv/kidtofu/
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum”

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Not really. Fool me once, still shame on me. I never bought keys or boxes.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I don’t believe no one bought those either (since I did). The problem is how much money do the make one way vs. the other way. If they don’t make enough money to support their project doing it one way, they will move to doing it the other way.

I’m relatively sure that they make a whole lot more money on RNG boxes. Not a little, but a lot. If that’s the case, and you were the company, what would you do?

As a business, i would look at the long term. This is not sustainable as the gem shop will be expected to increase sales quarterly and yearly. Rng boxes may sell now, but as anger about them rises, less and less will sell due to their stupidly low drop rate. Also, going too far to upset potential customers over one issue, means less gem sales in general.

Buyable skins is sustainable and can be grown upon. It also gauges success, since it will show what a wider range of players want to buy more precisely rather than being skewed by a small proportion of ppl buying a huge number of boxes for one item.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

I don’t like RNG boxes, but I do love the new weapon skins. However, I will not buy the RNG boxes to have a bigger chance at the weapon skins, because I don’t agree with the way they are implemented.

But what I don’t understand either, is why the tickets have to be account bound? It makes the RNG even that more painful. Someone who might not be interested in the skins can be lucky and get multiple tickets that they will delete, where those who really like them just happen to miss out due to bad luck. Why not make those tickets or the weapons tradeable so everyone has a chance of getting them if only by paying a lot of gold on the TP? I can think of one reason why, fewer boxes to be sold…

I am not sure if this is going to hurt them in the long run. Yeah, it will upset a few people who will stop buying. But the majority of RNG box purchases are most likely from people who don’t mind.

But RNG on top of a time limit on top of account bound, that stings. Did since they started with it and still does now.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

at least we can pick the weapon of choice – it’s nice to have tickets instead of weapon-drops

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

“A company that focuses more on its profits than on its customers will eventually lose both.” – Some image macro on reddit.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind the RNG, although I do think they drop %‘s could be adjust a little bit. This might make the RNG seem a bit less ’distasteful’ to so many. Of course, making more of the ‘exclusive’ stuff tradable would be nice too.

Essentially though, I treat the RNG boxes the same way I treat my state lottery – I’ll buy a ticket/box here or there as a treat. This does 2 things, in the case of my state lottery, it supports the schools and road repair, in the case of GW2, it supports Anet. All good things in my opinion, and I get the thrill of possibly winning something I want. Likely? Oh hell no, but still fun on occasion. All things in moderation.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Vayne.8563

“A company that focuses more on its profits than on its customers will eventually lose both.” – Some image macro on reddit.

But whether they’re focusing more on their profits than their customers is not really a matter of fact. The RNG boxes affect some people and don’t affect other people at all. So using a trite statement to try to make a point..

there an equation here. How many people REALLY dislike it to the point where they’ll leave, compared to how many people don’t mind it at all and keep spending money on it.

As long as the quantity of people that doesn’t mind is is big, then as a business decision it’s not clear cut.

Unfortunately, many people have already been trained by free to play pay to win games and think nothing of this kind of thing. And many of them will never look at the forums to find out otherwise.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Vayne, I enjoy reading your posts about as much as everyone else on the forums does, but I was just making a thought provoking statement..

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Vayne.8563

Vayne, I enjoy reading your posts about as much as everyone else on the forums does, but I was just making a thought provoking statement..

I’m sorry it’s 2:17 am here. I’m not sure I have a thought left to provoke. Sorry. lol

Posted by: Stinson.5972

Stinson.5972

I feel like Anet actually listened after the Southsun event and did far better this time around. Yes, the rich coffers were a scam, but I can’t feel too bad when people didn’t wait around to see how much better than the regular coffers they are. Turns out regular coffers are the way to go. (And I didn’t have amazing luck like some people getting a ticket on number 25 or so; I opened about 600 before getting one, which is apparently around average.)

Price on the regulars is dropping down. If you buy five or six hundred (around the median to get a ticket far as I can tell) at the moment the price would be around 20g or so. A tidy sum but attainable. (And you can certainly farm the things yourself – there’s plenty of time and they drop everywhere.) The SAB weapons trade from around 5g to 35g, so same ballpark. And the artwork on the new skins is awesome.