Don't pre-order, wait for more info

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

Right now it doesn’t really feel like we are getting value for our money.

This might change if it turns out they add more content to the expansion, or we get some uploads on youtube that really show the scope of the expansion pack.

Right now it feels like, at least in my opinion, that you’re charging as much as a whole sundae just to put a cherry on top.

The base game is massive, I’m still exploring things I’ve never seen before, and you want to charge a full games price for what is maybe 10% of the entire current world?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

To you that may be so. But for others, they obviously have enough information to decide that HoT is worth it. And worth it or not is personal.

I for one have enough information to know that I want HoT. The question is which version. And I’m going to sit and think and ponder for a couple of weeks most likely. See what ANet does given the feedback on the pricing and what each version includes or doesn’t include.

Posted by: Lambo.1405

Lambo.1405

I fully intend to purchase HoT but I think I’ll wait until it goes live. Its not that I think the price tag doesn’t justify the value or anything of the sort, it’s just that I don’t have the extra money to spend right away and I don’t think waiting a few weeks is really going to matter much. In the end, I’ll buy it when I can swing it.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Exactly don’t be a lame purchuser Anet expect you to blingly buy it not even knowing how many new zones are in.

Lambo.1405

I admit, that video did have me in tears of laughter when i watched it earlier today.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Wow, it didn’t take long for them to delete that one. Given how much effect a stupid funny vid is having and how much effort they are putting into making it disappear makes be believe that there is a lot of truth to it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

jumped into £80 Ultimate, £34 for a Expansion? Bargin… WoW Charged me £40 in a P2P game for 1/4 of the Actual Expansion for the first 4 months of the kitten release, not to mention to unplayability of it..

EQ2 charge the same Price for a 1 year old Expansion and Even just to have the new classes in Micro-transactions.

Rift charge More for Just Souls FOR the classes…

So Bargain tbh, if £40 is only worth 2 Extra Souls for a Class in this market, its Defintly Worth Just GH / WvW Maps Elite Specializations + New Classes even if theres nothing else to the game.

We arnt being “lame anet buyers” we just have More faith in the company and have Less value for the Pound therefore our sights on what £34 buys us is ALOT less then you beleive.

no expansion in this day and age is as Big as the Inital Game, 99% of em are the same price as the Inital Game. thats Gaming today they’re a company.. Money is what they want.

Someone has to buy it, to do the Beta to tell u if its good, this way you get to see it all BEFORE u purchase and Still get Pre-purchase rights and Even the deals on the biger packages, so it Helps YOU as much as US doing what we want… so directly Insulting us is Just a Awful way to go around your point.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Too late, husband and I already pre-ordered ours at 99.99%.

Please don’t be angry with me, but, when you sit, think and realize that half of if not most of the people in this game pay that amount of money in 2 week’s times with $10 or $20 dollar gem purchases, to pay $50 to $75 to $99.99 for the expansion, is… actually not that big of a deal, actually not that much money when you consider what you are getting.

The anger at first was justified. But it’s been 24 hours now, a lot of us have settled down and thought about this, and discussed this. A lot of us are not even angry anymore. This game has no monthly fee. In order to keep it that way, we have to kinda expect these kinds of price tags. shrugs

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

No worries OP, I’ve beta tested. heck even alpha tested a few games, but never pre-ordered any game, ever., no matter how much I liked the game. Heart of Thorns won’t change my stance, that’s just how I am.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Lambo.1405

That’s pretty much my thoughts. My only reason for waiting to purchase is that I’ve already spent heaps of money this month on gems, games, and other entertainment. I’ll be buying in a couple weeks when I can. Gotta stick to my budget.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You may end up killing what your waiting for if you wait too long but i have to agree never per-order back a kickstarer etc… until you get more info. Its just odd ppl seem to be more willing to buy dreams with kickstaers that have no real info. then per-ordering games they know well.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

You may end up killing what your waiting for if you wait too long but i have to agree never per-order back a kickstarer etkittenil you get more info. Its just odd ppl seem to be more willing to buy dreams with kickstaers that have no real info. then per-ordering games they know well.

If u want to play GW2 Past the release of the expansion u may aswell buy it.

This is how i work it out.

This New expansion holds the new Lands, the only REAL PvE for the game, (so ur going to require to have this to see the proper pve or it’ll be locked to u… so still no Content at all for you) if u pvp tese elite speccs are likely to kick the crap out of u.

So U might ASWELL pre-order, thats how ALOT See it, not Everyones unsure weather they will or will not stay in the next expansion, as realistically the only reason u should be Judging if you should or should not pay for this is if ur not sure if you’ll stick at the game in the next expansion.

its a MMO you knmow as much as i do that ur pretty much going to forced into paying for this expansion if your planning any long term staying in it, U’ll be short-strawed every DPS Fight.. and at everything in pvp, if u think they’re Brand new Shiny releases are going to be Weaker then ur standard builds or even balanced the likelyhood is ur wrong, they will prolly design this game to fit Them INTO the meta for atleast the first 6 months of the Expansion release.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You may end up killing what your waiting for if you wait too long but i have to agree never per-order back a kickstarer etkittenil you get more info. Its just odd ppl seem to be more willing to buy dreams with kickstaers that have no real info. then per-ordering games they know well.

If u want to play GW2 Past the release of the expansion u may aswell buy it.

This is how i work it out.

This New expansion holds the new Lands, the only REAL PvE for the game, (so ur going to require to have this to see the proper pve or it’ll be locked to u… so still no Content at all for you) if u pvp tese elite speccs are likely to kick the crap out of u.

So U might ASWELL pre-order, thats how ALOT See it, not Everyones unsure weather they will or will not stay in the next expansion, as realistically the only reason u should be Judging if you should or should not pay for this is if ur not sure if you’ll stick at the game in the next expansion.

its a MMO you knmow as much as i do that ur pretty much going to forced into paying for this expansion if your planning any long term staying in it, U’ll be short-strawed every DPS Fight.. and at everything in pvp, if u think they’re Brand new Shiny releases are going to be Weaker then ur standard builds or even balanced the likelyhood is ur wrong, they will prolly design this game to fit Them INTO the meta for atleast the first 6 months of the Expansion release.

The elite specialization go a long way for spvp and wvw i would think. New classes or new build types would be a major motivator for pvp only players to get an expansion.

More off-topic but its a game every fight is easy to win that just the simple truth to it. For a fight to be truly hard or task there must be task / fights that are truly no win something you just do not see in games becuse it would not be fun.

I have a feeling the less info and the more “dreams” the more likely ppl pre-order / back kickstarters hehe.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

@Drayos.8759

You are completely missing the point of this thread. This isn’t about whether or not we buy the game. This is about when we pay for it. It’s just foolish to pay for digitally distributed content before a release date is given. It’s digital. There’s literally no limit on supply, and no reason to expect it to evaporate at any point.

Pro’s of pre-ordering:

• You got the transaction out of the way. Whoopdy doo.
  • You get access to the beta weekends. Some of us don’t care about beta, and can’t bend our schedules to meet with Anet’s beta weekends.

Con’s of pre-ordering:

• You are SOL if you decide you want a refund after it launches, as most policies have a 30 day limit, which will be up by the time it launches.
  • You vote with your wallet for more pre-order business practices in the gaming industry. This includes but is not limited to cutting quests, missions, and other content from the game to use as pre-order incentives and retailer exclusives.
  • You allow companies to cash in early instead of forcing them to deliver a solid product before getting their money.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Technically if Im not mistaken this isnt even preordering. This is full blown prepurchasing.

Literally bought and paid in full for something that isnt
1. Complete yet.
2. Guaranteed to be completed.
3. Vague details on.

Whats amusing is that people in the same breath say EA and Ubisoft are bad.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m in the same boat. Waiting to see ANet’s response. Right now, I’m not buying something without knowing what I’m getting overall. To me, it’s not a question of price but what I’m getting for that price.

And I’m not talking a mini, title, glider, and beta access . . . I’m talking the actual game . . . the content . . . which they don’t seem to want to talk about. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Settes.3960

Settes.3960

I’m really disappointed. I spent more real money in this game during last 2 years then for all other games together in last 10 years (included F2P MMOs I supported by real money). But I really didn’t expect that expansion for that price will not give me at least free slot.
I don’t care about title, e.g. my main walks without it. I’m not using minis, so I don’t care for it too. I don’t care for beta access. I participated on last one (PvE) and it was too short and in bad time so I played it only for 4 hours. The content was not bad, but not even remotely worth of this price and it didn’t look too much promising either.

If there would be at least one free slot in the standard edition, I would buy it without any comment, just because of fun I had in the game. But right now it is a bad deal just in principle, it’s not just only about money (I can buy slot for gold). Honestly, I thought about buying highest available version of HoT when they announced it, but not now, because it doesn’t have that value for me in current state.

I will see if my beloved guardians will be at least the same after next update or they will be worse then before (I have all professions, but …). I’m loosing my will to continue with almost every announcement after they introduced “whateverHunter” specialization.
If I will continue I will not buy update for my second account and I regret that I didn’t wait with buying gems for it at least for 2 days. I’m done with levelling 4 characters on this account, it’s useless. It’s just good lesson for me not to buy gems for real money.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

@Drayos.8759

You are completely missing the point of this thread. This isn’t about whether or not we buy the game. This is about when we pay for it. It’s just foolish to pay for digitally distributed content before a release date is given. It’s digital. There’s literally no limit on supply, and no reason to expect it to evaporate at any point.

Pro’s of pre-ordering:

• You got the transaction out of the way. Whoopdy doo.
  • You get access to the beta weekends. Some of us don’t care about beta, and can’t bend our schedules to meet with Anet’s beta weekends.

Con’s of pre-ordering:

• You are SOL if you decide you want a refund after it launches, as most policies have a 30 day limit, which will be up by the time it launches.
  • You vote with your wallet for more pre-order business practices in the gaming industry. This includes but is not limited to cutting quests, missions, and other content from the game to use as pre-order incentives and retailer exclusives.
  • You allow companies to cash in early instead of forcing them to deliver a solid product before getting their money.

I agree with this sentiment. If you want to pre-order it fine. I’ll wait a while myself.

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

I’ve been preordering all GW games since 2005 but this time I’m just gonna wait until the expansion go live and read the review before making any decision(can’t wait to see AngryJoe’s money grabbing scene lol). For 2-3 silverwaste map and 1 new class I don’t feel 50 bucks is justify, the WvW map is free and no new Dungeon/Fractal.

The 50 dollars standard version should be rename to GW2+ HOT bundle and Anet should give us new option who already own the core game somthing like 30-40 dollars with 1 extra character slot which I think everyone will be happy with.

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

I just going to wait patiently. I like to raid en roam allot in gw2. If this new expansion can change my current raiding and roaming experience then off I’m going to buy it. The question is, is it worth buying it for someone like me with the current info we have about the expansion?

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s entirely up to each person to decide if/when they get the expansion. But I think it’s a good idea to point out that this is an option.

A lot of people are acting as if their choices are pre-purchase ASAP or never get HoT at all, and missing the fact that the pre-purchase will run right up until release, and the expansion will still be sold after that.

I’m going to wait and see how Amazon are doing it before I make a decision, and maybe until we get more info on what’s included.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Yeah, i’am gonna wait for AJ’s review as well, he usually pretty relentless about things like that.
PS. Found the video that’ve been moderated out of this thread, it’s brilliant, i’am was crying.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since I don’t care about spoiling my experience by participating in the Beta, which is the only benefit we are getting for our money at the moment, that’s what I’m doing. Not because I think HoT is overpriced or any kind of indignation but I’m only willing to spend my money when the actual ship date is near and even then, I may wait for the first sale of the box edition.

It just seems silly to part with your money months in advance for something you can’t even use yet. Only wanting the half price gems seems a good enough reason to pony up the bucks at the moment.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

tldr; There’s not enough info for me, so no one else should buy HoT. There’s enough information for some of us. Why do you care what we do?

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

irony

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Rienrodrys.7493

Rienrodrys.7493

Already preordered.
Get enough of these whinning threads.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

I wish i could pre order. I did with all previous guild wars games (except EotN). BUT! I think it is not right to include the basegame to long time players, with no extra characterslot ability. (no I am not entitled). The least thing they could do is give out the same expansion but instead with the basegame for free, add a characterslot for those who own the basegame already. THAT would be fair. everyone would get the choice to pick a version for their own usage.

I WILL get the new game no matter what, just not yet. Calmly waiting for more information. We know we will get guild halls and trait changes and such, BUT we get that also without buying the expansion pack, so that argument is out of the door for the yay-sayers. It will all come to what the actual expansion will bring us. and as far i see it we get a few maps (3 I think?) new skins and new enemies and some extra gameplay). So currently on the info we have I can understand the rage of many people. but as the title say: Do not pre order and wait for more info!

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Nope. Once I get paid next week I’m pre-ordering that Ultimate edition asap.

Posted by: Ihrga.8325

Ihrga.8325

Don’t really care. Have plenty of other games to play. And see nothing special in upcoming xpac frankly speaking. Vertical zones and gliding after playing Aion for a good chunk of time seems not that exciting. Just my two cents.

Be Polite. Be Efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

For me, how I value the expansion will largely depend upon the amount of playable PvE content it’s going to add. All the QoL stuff, the new class, the updates to existing classes, all of that will be largely useless to me if I don’t get a lot of actual new gameplay situations to experience them in.

So no, I’m not pre-purchasing, because I’m not convinced I’ll be getting value for money.