Dont need FOV slider, can already ZOOM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

Just to point out, we can already zoom in and out which is the same as a FOV slider

Its just increasing maximum zoom out that is the request which the recent patch is testing

Posted by: Jjiinx.8795

Jjiinx.8795

Just to point out, we can already zoom in and out which is the same as a FOV slider

Its just increasing maximum zoom out that is the request which the recent patch is testing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

It’s not the same, do some research.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

Uneducated people will be uneducated.

Guess what , whether you zoom out or in completely the FOV will not change. A narrow FOV will stay as narrow no matter how much you zoom in or out.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

/slowclap

Posted by: Taiance.6213

Taiance.6213

OP must be trolling, no one can ever be this dense and still know how to use a keyboard to type.

Smackjack.5071

OP must be trolling, no one can ever be this dense and still know how to use a keyboard to type.

I dont think this one is trolling , i think this one is seriousz https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Creating-an-Anti-Botting-Guild/first#post560242

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Oh I don’t know, I had to have it explained to me. Someone linked me a few videos, it was interesting.

Almost seems like a side effect of monitors that people put on their desk getting bigger, but we’re sitting the same distance from them?

I moved to a TV 3-4 years ago, so while my screen is technically big, it’s probably not all the different from maybe using a 22-24" monitor on a desk, given the distance I sit from my TV. So I’ve never had the problem that others experience.

However, I did try the switch, just to see, and I didn’t see anything all that different.

The one negative thing for me using the switch was each ‘tick’ of the mouse wheel as you zoom out is even bigger, which I don’t like. I’ve been trying to lobby for a more ‘fine tuned’ zooming in and out, not such a big jump between mouse wheel ‘clicks’, and this goes the other direction.

So what was my point? Oh yeah! I ‘was’ that dense before it was explained to me.

But I’m glad you folks that were getting sick are getting something to help out with that.

Smackjack.5071

The reason why the OPP is considered dense is not because he does not understand but because he pretends to understand and at the same time imply that others who do know and ask for a FOV slider (because they do understand) are wrong about it.

It is obvious that he simply does not know what FOV does or how it works yet he has the arrogance to tell other that they dont need it and are wrong about it that, is dense.

It is also not just about getting nausea. I dont get sick from a narrow FOV but it iritates the hell out of me to the point that i stop playing a game with a locked low FOV.

Posted by: Taiance.6213

Taiance.6213

notebene, smackjack sums up my dense comment quite nicely and anything I add will detract from the point s/he explains so well.

Edit: smackjack i totally didn’t see the connection with the other thread, i think i may be getting too old for this internets are serious stuffz malarkie.

(edited by Taiance.6213)

Smackjack.5071

notebene, smackjack sums up my dense comment quite nicely and anything I add will detract from the point s/he explains so well.

Edit: smackjack i totally didn’t see the connection with the other thread, i think i may be getting too old for this internets are serious stuffz malarkie.

:)

In the other thread the OP was purposing to go around with a guild whisping other players as a bot check to see if they respond and report them as bots if they dont respond and to do this as a guild.

Just imagine how many afk’ers would get reported as bots or people who just dont respond to weird random whisps.
It just goes to show how he puts just about anything out there without any thought to it.

gwawer.9805

nope i wasn’t trolling, i had much to believe that zoom and fov were the same, but OK maybe you guys are right about the FOV being different than zoom, although I have my doubts and I am merely raising a proposition with my OP

but you have to admit zooming out DOES increase the amount of stuff you can see on your screen which accomplishes much of what FOV increase does as well

(edited by gwawer.9805)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Except for you’re not seeing more stuff. Zoom just changes the camera position, and that’s all. If you can’t understand how it’s different then maybe do like 5 minutes of basic research before you make uninformed posts.

Just for reference, humans with optimal eye sight have about a 180 degree field of view, that’s half a circle for the uninformed. In game (before the change) I’m guessing the fov was limited to about 55 degrees, which is less than 1/3 of what we are used to seeing. Now you can see why this might cause issues for some people..

(edited by fellyn.5083)

gwawer.9805

how do you not see more scenery when you zoom out

if there is a tree at the corner of the my screen and i zoom in, the tree dissapears and then if i zoom out again the tree reappears in the corner of the screen

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Dont feed the trolls. And if it isn’t a troll… then wow just wow!

What screen res do you use btw?

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

From what I’ve understood the problem is mostly for those using widescreen resolutions.
They can’t see as much up/down as they are meant to see.

I don’t have a widescreen monitor and everything looks just fine to me.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

OP even if you think FOV and zoom are the same, you still couldn’t zoom out far enough. You notice how the FOV fix looks like it pulls the camera back?

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

how do you not see more scenery when you zoom out

if there is a tree at the corner of the my screen and i zoom in, the tree dissapears and then if i zoom out again the tree reappears in the corner of the screen

Stand in one place. Put your hands vertically next to your eyes. Now back up. You see more yet your field of view is small. Now repeat that process without your hands over your eyes.

You’re not seeing more with a small field of view, you just moved places.

Anyways, why would you begrudge people options? Options are good. Not having options is not good.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

If you have Borderlands 2 you can see the difference FoV has with the slider. I showed my brother it at max FoV which thankfully has no fish eye on my tv. Then I put the slider to the minimum (which I think is the FoV on the console version, 70 degrees). He didn’t puke but said it looked like garbage and too wierd by comparison. Once you see FoV before and after and realise what it’s doing, games with low FoV can be excruciating.

I never feel sick but when I play games with low FoV then edit an ini etc. to give it a more natural one, I feel the back of my eyes physically relaxing.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Danny.1594

Danny.1594

PLEASE read this….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view
thanks

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

“we can already zoom in and out which is the same as a FOV slider”

You’d be correct if so-called zoom would really be zoom. But as others have pointed out it only moves the camera position. Moving it back reveals a little more of the scene, but it does not increase the field of view angle.

If you have read the discussions about FOV on these forums including Anet’s responses, you know Anet to is on the ‘fov is different than camera position’ bandwagon.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

The simple difference between asking what the difference between zooming and FOV is, and writing a post telling people how stupid they are for not realising they are the same…

OP could have done the first, but chose the second.

I hope he doesn’t mind getting burned over this.
He’s awfully quiet by the way.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Kerri Knight.3168

Kerri Knight.3168

This trio of images is the best visual reference for understanding what we are missing in widescreen. Also, the vertical element is only part of what we are missing (and the new FoV they are testing still doesn’t address the problem).

http://imgur.com/a/StY5S/#0

Posted by: Wolfend.5287

Wolfend.5287

I’ve always enjoyed around 90 – 110 degrees for 3rd person fighting games while zoomed in close to character, but may be an apples n’ oranges issue for gw2. Particularly as the camera is always getting muddled up in close quarters combat.

Zoom slider not the same thing, more a ‘distant cousin’.

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

It can play a factor a bit in seeing more area for sure, but it’s not the same overall.

The best thing to simulate it is, use the TestFOV option or go into window mode and don’t use your whole screen vertically.

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

You have no idea WTF you are talking about. Please return when you know what FOV is and why its important, instead of making a thread on a subject you’ve never even heard of.

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

…maybe you guys are right about the FOV being different than zoom, although I have my doubts…

Quote of the month.

[AoN] All or Nothing

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Field of View (FoV) changed the angle that you can see.
Zoom simply moves closer or further to your character. The viewing angle remains the same.

The current viewing angle is like trying to play a a game on a widescreen monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
The beta FoV fix changes it so that your getting a full 16:10/16/9 aspect ratio.
And I will say the FoV fix (while not perfect) us a BIG step in the right direction. The game feels more natural and substantially less clausterphobic. Its much easier on the eyes too.

Being able to zoom out futher is nice too.

edit: I know what I said make little sense, just go with it.

Smackjack.5071

…maybe you guys are right about the FOV being different than zoom, although I have my doubts…

Quote of the month.

Considering that all the info one would ever need about FOV is linked in this very thread it sure made me have a …….. 0-o …. moment.

Posted by: Maldavos.4871

Maldavos.4871

This thread brings me great joy.

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

As the topic and opening post are misleading / false, this topic will be closed.