Downed state

Downed state

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Maxakari.5298

Maxakari.5298

I liked downed state, but I believe the skills of the different classes Need balancing.

for instance, I may down a ranger, and they can just use their overpowered pet res skill,

and can out heal my attacks and I’m a full zerker thief and can do massive damage at a

trade-off for armor and such. And I would use the finisher, but then I’ll most likely die

(and this is with attacks that heal me during an evade period). While on the same

token if I get downed all I can do is a warp that “might” get me away from a

finisher, or aoe (to be killed in seconds, or shadow stepped to and finished anyway)

or a skill that stealths me for ONE SECOND and can save me from a finisher, which

at that point they just attack me to kill me. If I can’t out damage a rangers downed skill

while alive, then how would I even have a chance in downed state? The downed states

Need to be balanced with Each other like they could make my stealth downed skill

have me up to fight for a couple seconds, or maybe where I can just be up to run.

Downed state

Posted by: archdemonXIII.7063

archdemonXIII.7063

Thief has some of the best downed skills in the game. If you’re having troubles with a downed ranger, you need practice. You should be able to stomp a ranger before his 3 skill comes up.

some tips:

Wait to use your 2 skill til you see someone in the air for the finisher animation (but before they come down)

You can use your finisher while stealthed.

Downed state

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

I don’t know what OP is talking about, my main is a ranger and my pets can not out-heal an attacked. You must be doing something wrong.

Downed state

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Downed state

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

You may be playing it too safe. Take a risk and go for the stomp!

Downed state

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

A ranger’s downed interrupt is target based and you can stomp while in stealth. Lick Wounds is on CD when a ranger goes down. You should have no issue stomping a ranger in that time.

Now you do have a point in water. Water downed state for rangers is OP. I had two enemy players on me in the water once. One was an ele and I was able to take them from full hp to completely dead while in downed state. I rallied off them. Lick Wounds healed me for more than both of them combined. No profession should have such a strong underwater revive.

Downed state

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

While, I do believe downed state is a separate-but-equal situation for most classes…. the ranger has a blatant unfair advantage.

A ranger is able to use his pet utility skills as well as pet swap while in downed state.

That gives the ranger his normal downed state interrupt and pet res…. and two additional skills that can interrupt, immobilize, fear, etc. an enemy player from attempting a stomp.

This in combination with the ability to have your pet revive you is definitely not balanced.

I would not doubt that it was yet another ranger + pet oversight that arenanet has no idea about, and won’t even get nerfed until people complain about it enough.

Downed state

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

The Ranger pet revive in water is OP if you let them survive until they can activate it. On land a downed ranger stands no chance vs. a thief. The thief can easily damage the ranger down or use a finish.
The thief can prevent up to 2 finishes on himself but the ranger only 1 which can be blocked by stability or stealth.
The warrior is better – I have recovered solo on a warrior more than once. A well timed hammer throw can sometimes buy time to get back up with Vengeance and take down your enemy.

(edited by Nidome.1365)

Downed state

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Thief is literally the best class to stomp with

Cloak and Dagger then stomp
Black Powder then stomp
Shadow Refuge/Blinding Powder/Shadow Step

There are probably more I am forgetting but that should be enough for any build

Also the down states are balanced by how easy it is to get you downed which is why Thief and Ele probably have the best down states while Engi Necro and Warr down states are weak

Downed state

TheBlackLeech.9360

The Ranger pet revive in water is OP if you let them survive until they can activate it. On land a downed ranger stands no chance vs. a thief. The thief can easily damage the ranger down or use a finish.
The thief can prevent up to 2 finishes on himself but the ranger only 1 which can be blocked by stability or stealth.
The warrior is better – I have recovered solo on a warrior more than once. A well timed hammer throw can sometimes buy time to get back up with Vengeance and take down your enemy.

….again, you (and many other people) are missing the pet utility skills…. not many people even know the ranger can use them in downed state, and you better believe that those that do definitely (ab)use it.

IE: fight a decent ranger in spvp and he will use his wolf’s fear to interrupt a second stomp…. swap to a pink moa pet, and interrupt a third stomp….

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Downed state

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

….again, you (and many other people) are missing the pet utility skills…. not many people even know the ranger can use them in downed state, and you better believe that those that do definitely (ab)use it.

IE: fight a decent ranger in spvp and he will use his wolf’s fear to interrupt a second stomp…. swap to a pink moa pet, and interrupt a third stomp….

The timing has to be almost perfect on those – a thief uses a ranged blind or uses a stealth before they move in (rather than something which combines those with the move) and you are guessing on the timing for when they do move in to finish.

Downed state

TheBlackLeech.9360

The timing has to be almost perfect on those – a thief uses a ranged blind or uses a stealth before they move in (rather than something which combines those with the move) and you are guessing on the timing for when they do move in to finish.

….really you aren’t…. at least not any more than you are timing any other interrupt.

Try it out.

Downed state

Posted by: Maxakari.5298

Maxakari.5298

Wow! Thanks for all the replies everyone Its nice to see so many people willing to help!

and I think the reason I always seem to die is whenever my hp gets low (super squishy so it happens alot) I tend to attack instead of using a finisher (I use healing signet), I usually have all signets equipped, I could probly improve my build but I am still looking into it (I want to come up with my own rather than be the same as everyone else) I could probly use the signet to heal instead of attacking for health XP I don’t PvP too much so I’m sure I’ll get it with practice

Downed state

Posted by: THuGaNoMiX.5036

THuGaNoMiX.5036

Mesmers are the worst. They can just go invis and teleport until their buddies show up. Warrior/Guardian’s have the worst downed state skills IMO.

Even if you knock them down as Warrior they can still stomp you before Last Stand is available making it a useless skill.

Downed state

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Mesmers are the worst. They can just go invis and teleport until their buddies show up. Warrior/Guardian’s have the worst downed state skills IMO.

Even if you knock them down as Warrior they can still stomp you before Last Stand is available making it a useless skill.

Mesmers the worst? The stealth only lasts a few seconds and the teleport is a short distance and completely random.