Downed state warning--seriously?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

We really need a downed state warning saying FIGHT TO SURVIVE, in big red letters? I am half tempted to ask how we go get by in life if we need that to tell us, that we are in big trouble at that point, besides the dead give away of you being crumpled on the floor shouting—HELP ME. Funnily enough, Iv been playing solidly for three years, and its only now Im noticing it as a pain in the rear view mirror.
But the hugely ironic thing about that warning:- all the time its there supposedly helping you to remember that, your downed, your losing health, and taking damage from whatever source put you there in the first place (if its not dead/ removed) so its actually a hindrance for your fight to survive!
Better removing it entirely in my opinion, its not helping beginners, nor anyone else (plus with the NPE, they have already been told the downed state has been unlocked—-how many warnings do they need? )

*(better still dont be downed—ever!)

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Well, it is helping absolute beginners, to be fair.

When I was first in a downed state, I think I would have been completely confused if it hadn’t said that.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Downed is a rare mechanic in MMOs….. you usually you’re 100% functional… then just suddenly dead. No in-between, No chance to bounce back, and looking at a respawn menu.

But honestly, given how tiny of a mistake, even on attrition defense builds, can take you out with little warning, the downed mechanic is geared toward keeping group fights going; rather then guarantee a chain wipe on even minor coordination errors.

Where you have it completely wrong is this idea that downed being a solo mechanic. Granted theres an off chance that you get back up on your own. But really what its meant to do is give you the ability to endure a situation long enough for someone to come help you, and not be completely useless in the meantime.

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

If you’ve been playing for three years and never noticed it I don’t see how you can really frame it as this big obtrusive issue.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

If you’ve been playing for three years and never noticed it I don’t see how you can really frame it as this big obtrusive issue.

This so much, when i read him saying he first now notice it as an annoying, i thought… well they it cant be that big of an annoyance after all

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

I would guess the reason that it is there is back at gw2s inception anet had dreams of being an e sport and they thought that having it would help make things exciting for spectators.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I would guess the reason that it is there is back at gw2s inception anet had dreams of being an e sport and they thought that having it would help make things exciting for spectators.

Thats the first time I’ve ever considered anything coming out of esports to be good for something.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The downed state was something completely new to me in MMO experience when I first started playing this game. Of course, now that it’s been a while, it still doesn’t bother me. Not sure why it would bother anyone really.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Not only is it for absolute beginners, but I also think it makes the situation more intense. I think that’s the point of the last ditch effort to get yourself back up on your feet.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I know how you feel, OP. FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE is so.. antiquated.
I’d much rather prefer:

Attachments:

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

GW2 caters a lot to beginners and is generally an easy game with a lack of a real challenge overall.

I don’t mind the message more than the mechanic itself, the game would be a little more challenging without it.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

i can’t pretend i’ve ever even noticed it