Downlevelling should be more harsh

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Its very clear from recent updates that ANet is mostly interested in improving the game for newer players, which I am completely fine with, don’t get me wrong. Like any veteran I wish they would add more end-game content, but I still have friends who join this game and I like them getting a better experience.

The problem is I still cannot play with my friends because when I go to low level zones, even on the weakest of gear and builds, I completely destroy everything.

Now, one of the original promised goals of the game would be that all players would be able to play together regardless of their level; this is the whole point of the downlevelling system, but this system does not work. When you are downlevelled, it does not properly compensate for improved gear quality (e.g Exotics), and full traits, so you end up being just as overpowered as you do in any MMO.

Is there really a big difference if I can go to the starter zone and take on 20 mobs at one time instead of the 200 of other games? I don’t think so. Its still too much.

After the mobs were weakened in the trait update, this became even worse.

Please reconsider the downlevelling system design; I would love to be able to play with my friends and other low level players once again without just one-shotting everything that they attack before they can even target it. And world bosses in these zones should not be dying in a mere 30 seconds, either.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Problem is dropping it too much, then higher level players have less reason to tromp through low level zones. And I actually enjoy one shot low level critters on a crit but I can still be taken down if I’m overwhelmed.

City of Heroes weakened high level players to the point where lower level characters they were teaming with had higher bonuses in some cases.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Its very clear from recent updates that ANet is mostly interested in improving the game for newer players, which I am completely fine with, don’t get me wrong. Like any veteran I wish they would add more end-game content, but I still have friends who join this game and I like them getting a better experience.

The problem is I still cannot play with my friends because when I go to low level zones, even on the weakest of gear and builds, I completely destroy everything.

Now, one of the original promised goals of the game would be that all players would be able to play together regardless of their level; this is the whole point of the downlevelling system, but this system does not work. When you are downlevelled, it does not properly compensate for improved gear quality (e.g Exotics), and full traits, so you end up being just as overpowered as you do in any MMO.

Is there really a big difference if I can go to the starter zone and take on 20 mobs at one time instead of the 200 of other games? I don’t think so. Its still too much.

Please reconsider the downlevelling system design; I would love to be able to play with my friends and other low level players once again without just one-shotting everything that they attack before they can even target it. And world bosses in these zones should not be dying in a mere 30 seconds, either.

Yes as a level 80 you are powerful, but if you pull too much you can still end up dead. You don’t have the fear you had while leveling, but you also know how a mob will react, I find the game play “easy” when leveling, as I know not to bite off more than I can chew. It’s exsperiance we have in the game. Our knowledge of the game makes low level areas easy. Not the game system.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

I agree with you.

Until something is done about the scaling, I might suggest that you grab a cheap set of low-level white items (the ones you get from armorsmith and weaponsmith NPCs) for when you want to play with your friends in lowbie zones. With the lvl1 whites on a level 80 character (scaled down to <15), it seems that you end up even weaker than appropriately-leveled characters. However, since you’ve been playing for awhile, your knowledge of game mechanics should make up for almost all of the difference.

Not a fix by any means, but it certainly makes low level zones feel quite a bit less faceroll-y.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

It is a hard balance. If they go too far then the level 80 will be weaker than those next to them, but at the same time, I can understand that level 80’s may feel they are entitled to face roll level 15 mobs.

In many ways they may feel they earned some uberness.

Personally I think that the balance is best kept by giving level 80’s a little less uberness than they have now. Not a lot, not a Huge nerf..but a tweak so that a player can’t just kitten-a-kitten a whole zone by themselves.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Don’t worry, soon there’s not going to be anyone in the lower maps anyway.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

I find this so counter intuitive… pointing at Nerelith’s post…

- Lvl80’s want difficult challenging content, as their end content (several people are even asking for a hard mode)
- But, you can’t give lvl80s more difficult content in lower level zones, because they should feel more powerful now that they are lvl80.

I dunno, but in my brain this just causes an ‘error’ … if anything, to give higher level players more of a challenge the content in lower level zones should become progressively harder, to such an extend that the higher level you are, and the bigger difference in downlevel you go, the harder the content should become…

But I guess I’m just entirely lost on this world of today, once games were to have fun and meaningful experiences, now it seems it’s about feeling uber and gain the best rewards in the least amount of effort and time. It’s like meaningful Human experiences have given way to hamsterwheel style, press X for Reward, type ‘what to call it’?

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

agree with OP

i remember the early beta, where starter mobs your level could 3 or 4 shot you….and anything 2+ lvls higher were like champs. it was strangely fun….not sure how much of that difficulty was mob AI pattern-related or just numbers, but feeling some sense of difficulty in lower levels would be awesome.

i’d love to be able to play the starter areas from the first beta, but with a fully decked out lvl 80.

i wounder if numbers could be tweaked proportionally to area level (starter areas imposing the largest nerf) to achieve this.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

It’s true. Downranked 80s obliterate really low level content, and they shouldn’t have quite as easy a time as they do.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

+100000000

I’m so sick of those lvl 80 who refuse to take their sorry kitten out of Queensdale killing everything with 1 hit.

The new mega-server made it even worst since a single event can have +5 players at any time and the struggle to hit on single mob is getting really awful and one single of those players can easily screw everything for everyone else (kitten , my lvl 2 necro is already too kitten strong for the lvl 5 areas).

So please, tweak the system so lvl 80’s become as weak as low level or better, make them weaker or nerf the rewards so they move to high level areas where mobs can actually survive this kind of characters.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: AlphaNeonic.1925

AlphaNeonic.1925

Our knowledge of the game makes low level areas easy. Not the game system.

Sorry, this is absolutely not true.

As an 80, I can skip into any bandit cave in Queensdale and burn anyone’s face off in about 2 seconds. You can clear out Beggar’s Burrow in less than a minute.

Content should be harder and more rewarding for returning vets to low level areas. It would be beneficial for all parties involved.

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

The problem for me is also that, if I take a level 80 character to a low level zone to play with a friend who is starting at the game, I have to refrain from attacking the mobs so my friend can even tag them. Even then, there is no challenge for either, and my friend won’t learn the game very well that way.
I think our downleveled stats should be equivalent to the maximum a true level X in the area has (for example, a level 10 can only have blue armor with one stat, so our 3 stats summed should be equal to the 1 stat a blue gives) .
My reasoning is that, even then, our runes and traits will give us a huge advantage in battle.

Nerelith.7360

- Lvl80’s want difficult challenging content, as their end content (several people are even asking for a hard mode)
- But, you can’t give lvl80s more difficult content in lower level zones, because they should feel more powerful now that they are lvl80.

I dunno, but in my brain this just causes an ‘error’ … if anything, to give higher level players more of a challenge the content in lower level zones should become progressively harder, to such an extend that the higher level you are, and the bigger difference in downlevel you go, the harder the content should become…

But I guess I’m just entirely lost on this world of today, once games were to have fun and meaningful experiences, now it seems it’s about feeling uber and gain the best rewards in the least amount of effort and time. It’s like meaningful Human experiences have given way to hamsterwheel style, press X for Reward, type ‘what to call it’?

I agree with you. I do feel that if content were harder for level 80’s in Lower level zones, it would make for more challenging play. I am all for more challenge whenever possible.

I am not saying I want to be so uber I can take on 20 mobs at once in a low level zone, that is ridiculous.

What I am saying is, that I feel you and I are in the minority. I think the " average" gamer that likes Gw2, does Not want to have a greater challenge with their level 80, as they fight level 15’s. I think the average gamer may feel that getting to level 80, should entitle them to some uberness.

Maybe I am wrong. If I am I would love to be surprised by the throngs that scream." make it harder on my level 80 on lower level zones Anet….. I don’t want it easy, I want a greater challenge on open world..and don’t worry about upping the rewards, this isn’t about cash and stuff…this is about ..challenmging, fun, meaningful gameplay!"

PS: The thing is, we can say whatever we like on the forums, but..I am sure what Anet is looking at is, how many level 80’s go back to the starter zones with their level 80’s as opposed to creating alts.

I agree that the reason many create alts is because the level 80 in the zone is uber, and the zone becomes un-challenging.. But what if Anet reads the numbers the opposite way? maybe lacking the " How many level 80’s create low level alts and why?" numbers and reasons?

What if they read that level 80’s have no desire to go to low level zones? I know I take my level 80 mesmer, and thief to queensdale to assist the wife every time I can myself. Personally… I think that a level 80..in a level 15 zone should be just as challenged at 80, as he was at 15. But… that would scare off a Lot of players that will then complain about How " tedious it is past level 80…bla bla bla"

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

You want level down to be more harsh? cool – you can have that when they give us an option to stay 80 in any zone and get loot but no XP. It is already bad enough you get leveled down in dungeons – it should all be level 80 in scale. Feeling weaker outside of level 80 zones is not fun…

DDCarvalho.2071

What I am saying is, that I feel you and I are in the minority. I think the " average" gamer that likes Gw2, does Not want to have a greater challenge with their level 80, as they fight level 15’s. I think the average gamer may feel that getting to level 80, should entitle them to some uberness.

I agree that is nice to be in a level 15 zone and be much more powerful than the rest and the mobs, but I think that the fact we have all skills (including elite), all traits, runes and sigils already gives us that edge. (Also we already know when to dodge :P)
That’s why I think that the statistical advantage we have (so much more power, vitality, etc) is overkill, and it is the easiest thing to tone down. We will still be much more poweful than a real level 15.

Nerelith.7360

I agree that is nice to be in a level 15 zone and be much more powerful than the rest and the mobs, but I think that the fact we have all skills (including elite), all traits, runes and sigils already gives us that edge. (Also we already know when to dodge :P)
That’s why I think that the statistical advantage we have (so much more power, vitality, etc) is overkill, and it is the easiest thing to tone down. We will still be much more poweful than a real level 15.

That is exactly what i would love. To know that in terms of Power, not just health..etc..but the Power of My skills, are equivalent to that of those around me. If we disregard runes, sigils, and traits…. level 80’s and level 15’s should be the same strength, In terms of power.

But the only thing that should differentiate a level 80, from a level 15, should be player skill.

Posted by: Sebalon.5913

Sebalon.5913

I agree, I find that it doesn’t always downscale me enough in some areas. It doesn’t need to be a major increase, just a minor one. I think you should do slightly better if you have outleveled the area, but currently it’s too easy to do some areas when you’ve outleveled them and have good gear.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Yes it needs adjusting now. I think it got a lot worse when the trait changes were made and mobs were toned down since the on-level players would be weaker. Ascended gear won’t have helped either.

The intrinsic problem is that a new level 80 character with masterwork gear and no real build should be able to function in a low level zone, no worse than they were on-level with masterwork gear and no real build. Fully geared characters with high dps builds, matching traits, ascended gear, are way ahead of the level 80 in masterwork.

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

i fix it manually by removing all armor and trinkets, makes me on par with my lower lvl-ed friends. depends on the area though, might just remove a few pieces of armor if its a higher area. very chilly in the shiverpeaks though, need some long johns or something

Fix what you have before you build something new

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

At the moment I have very little reason to go to the low level areas.

If going to Kessex hills were as hard for my L80 as going to Malchor’s Leap, then it could pay just as well — including gilded coffers, occasional rares and exotics, etc.

It could do this while maintaining local character — bandits and centaurs and iron instead of undead and undead and mithril.

I would then have about 20 maps worth visiting instead of about 3.

Sounds great.

(edited by Morte.5916)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

No, the cost outweighs the gain here – the cost being that now you feel like a little kitten weakling when you get downleveled and all of your progress in the game feels worthless.

Furthermore, if you’re leveling and you go into an area a bit below you, now you gain no power advantage and might as well be in a level appropriate area. In fact, if pushed too hard, now you’re actually hurt more by getting downleveled while leveling.

Honestly, while I would like for you to get a tweak that makes it easier for your friends to play with you, I think Arkiel has a good thought that they can just remove pieces of gear. It’s not ideal, but it’s better than making max level characters feel like their leveling and gearing efforts are worth nothing.

Perhaps there’s another way to do this that helps everybody. No idea what though.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

Couldn’t have said it any better, +1 from me

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

You want the game to be hard?

Equip low level armor.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I don’t understand this complaint. Just remove armor pieces when you’re playing with friends in lower level zones.

My engi was running level 52 armor all the way up to level 68. If you want challenge it’s not undoable.

Behellagh.1468

Don’t forget the made the lower level zones easier when the new trait system came into being. It’s more than likely they didn’t adjust the downleveling code to compensate for this.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

How about an option to modify the level to which you are downscaled

• Normal (that’s usually 1-2 lvl above mobs)
  • Equal ( same lvl as mobs)
  • Harder (2 or 3 lvl below mobs)
  • Hardest (5 lvl below mobs)

With hardest you will be 10 vs behemoth not 17. And this is what you do during leveling as well, if you find it to easy you go to higher mobs, if you find it to difficult you fall back to lower mobs.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Since this has now come up, I had a suggestion about downscaling in the works but wasn’t sure it would be received well.

-> Zones below L60 would disable Grandmaster Traits.
-> Zones below L30 would disable the Elite skill.
-> Zones below L20 would disable all remaining Traits. Skill #3 can stay.

This could, technically, affect dungeons as well, though they would only disable GM traits. Affecting Personal Story would be far more interesting (and in-line with character levels again, if you come back to it much later). And the mechanics for this already exist in-game, so there should be (crossing fingers) no major code changes involved.

Editing to add – its not that people want the game to be harder, they want a closer challenge in Metrica that they currently have in Cursed Shore (and in turn reviving the ‘replayability’ aspect of GW2, to more areas). My suggestion would not need you to change anything (equipment wise) in a normal L80 loadout, and would be a relatively easy step in that direction.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Our knowledge of the game makes low level areas easy. Not the game system.

Sorry, this is absolutely not true.

As an 80, I can skip into any bandit cave in Queensdale and burn anyone’s face off in about 2 seconds. You can clear out Beggar’s Burrow in less than a minute.

Content should be harder and more rewarding for returning vets to low level areas. It would be beneficial for all parties involved.

So you don’t know what weapons and skills work best to do the max damage then? I think you know the best skills and traits to use to max your damage out put. If you didn’t have a clue just like a new player I don’t think you be having an easy time. If you got a selection of weapons armor and unset your traits. Then asked someone who’s never played Guild Wars to set your toon up, chances are you’d not be as well set up if you had done it your self. I’m guessing g you’ve played the game for awhile, and picked up a lot on how the game works. Weather you know it or not you use that knowledge instinctively. You are better at the game than a new player would be. If you find low level zones too easy. Play in a higher level zone.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Maybe lets get rid of downscaling and lets have upscaling so I dont see lvl 2 enemies but I see lvl81 enemies and i see my normal hp,normal dmg not some 1,5 crits on ac

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Problem is dropping it too much, then higher level players have less reason to tromp through low level zones. And I actually enjoy one shot low level critters on a crit but I can still be taken down if I’m overwhelmed.

Face-rolling low level mobs gets old pretty quickly. You could argue that a lack of challenge gives payers less reason to tromp through low level zones.

Behellagh.1468

But downleveling is meant so you can play with lower level characters. While true it takes me fewer hits to take down a critter than a new character of that level I can still be taken out if I let my guard down or pull the aggro of a champ. Still don’t understand the aggro system in this game. A lot of it seems to be first to hit gets all the aggro and it sticks for a very long time even if I’m attacking at range and a handful of other players are at melee.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

You want the game to be hard?

Equip low level armor.

Low level weapons is already enough .. give an 80 a level 5 weapon and you need
maybe more hits than a level 5 character.

I could maybe understand it if high level chars could steel ressources because they
can faster reach them .. but thats not a problem here.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I agree with you.

Until something is done about the scaling, I might suggest that you grab a cheap set of low-level white items (the ones you get from armorsmith and weaponsmith NPCs) for when you want to play with your friends in lowbie zones. With the lvl1 whites on a level 80 character (scaled down to <15), it seems that you end up even weaker than appropriately-leveled characters. However, since you’ve been playing for awhile, your knowledge of game mechanics should make up for almost all of the difference.

Not a fix by any means, but it certainly makes low level zones feel quite a bit less faceroll-y.

And don’t forget to respec and ‘not’ spend any trait points you might not have earned yet under the new system, or any skills you might have not acquired yet.

Posted by: Javonovich.5280

Javonovich.5280

I love this idea. The first time as a level 80 (with exotics) that I went to a lower level zone with my friend I was very disappointed in how easily I could destroy everything.

I’m a big fan of the world map, so I would be more likely to check out lower level zones if they were a little more challenging for me.

To those who say that we should swap out our gear for whites: Why should we have to do that? The mechanics are already in place to make this happen, so why can’t ANET do this for us? Part of the appeal of the downleveling process was that it was supposed to happen automatically. By asking players to swap out gear, you are asking players to work around a system that isn’t quite good enough.

I’d like for the only advantage we have over the lower levels to be skill and the traits we’ve unlocked.

DDCarvalho.2071

While I don’t like carrying many sets of weapons and armor, it’s really easy (and cheap) enough to buy a white level 80 weapon or armor from a armor/weapon vendor and that will probably put my stats in a closer ballpark to real level 15 people (wish these were salvageable so I wouldn’t have to right click to destroy them though).
The rest of the work is re-speccing my trait points to toughness/5th trait line and that would probably prevent me from one-shotting mobs in Metrica when I’m playing with friends.

(edited by DDCarvalho.2071)

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Hannelore you are using the wrong skills clearly. Try using Engineer pistol on low lvl mob. Trust me you will need multiple shots to kill the mob.

Or make a new char, and use that char only to play with your friends. Char slot is on sale for reason. If friend levels slower then you, delete your char, and start over.

Lvl 80’s can wear from white to ascended armor. If they nerf ascended owners to ‘your required difficulty’ scenario, then white gear owners will be severly underpowered.

Another thing wich is a bit sad from your part is, that it seems you purely focus on lvl 1-9 mobs (and the squishy ones at that, there are tanky mobs like icy wurms (not the hatchlings). Or dolyaks!!! I urge you Hannah. Try to one shot a dolyak, with a normal auto attack (and not super good ones like eviscerate or warrior general melee auto attacks. Use something like staff guardians. Press nr 1. You won’t 1 shot the dolly in waywarer foothills. No way.

The moment you go out of the lvl 1-15 zone, it immediately scales up. You can still burst the mobs, but you still have to rely on eviscerate like skills or even more to speed kill the mobs.

Last point, you don’t mention lvl 80. I know lvl 80 mobs i can kill pretty fast (100 blade + a bit more) is enough. To fix your problem they would have to nerf currently existing lvl 80 mobs as well. And is that a good thing? not at all. Especially knowing most mobs (especially lowbie mobs) are not worthwhile to be farmed overall. Making them ultra hard to kill (5 auto attacks at least on exotic lvl 80), will make noob area’s even clearer.

Like someone suggested above, power is in YOUR HANDS. You got traits at lvl 80 a newbies does get but you CAN RESET THEM. Keep traits at 0 for sense of challenge). You have exotic (or ascended) gear, but you can buy WHITE GEAR. You have utilities. Disable them, especially signets with power stat. Disable sigils (buy weapon without it). No runes (lowbies don’t have it either. Do all of these things and you’ll suddenly feel exactly what you need.

‘But but i think this should be default and not just possible by messinge up my lvl 80’. An mmo cannot make everyone happy. Your idea would kitten of other players. The right balance is hard. And since the option exists, to play like the op Hannah wants, spending resources on this, is pretty much a waste. Endgame content is WAY more important. I know for op low lvl ‘friendly’ partying matters. But we told you how to do it. You have been ‘given’ the possibility.

With free, on the move, trait reset, the devs basically listend to you, and you didn’t even realize it. Play your endgame content? activate traits. Play with your friends? Disable them.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

Level 1-15 areas are too easy for level 80s.

I like the idea of disabling everything that is not level-appropriate, superior runes and sigils if the effective level is below 60, 2nd, 3rd, and elite skill slot at appropriate level, all traits if below level 20, and so on.

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Start a new char of a class you know and go out, they are as easy with a brand new char, as with a lvl 80.

Start area’s have to be easy for starters.
- starters do not know the skills and their synergies already
- starters have to learn monster animations and dodge
- starters do not know (not have) the optimal weapon for a situation
- startes will will use armor/weapons badly under their current lvl, no jewellery
- …

As the starting areas have to tolerate all this without killing the new player to often they have to be much to easy for someone who is not doing these mistakes.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Just make down leveling variable. The current down level amount is the “maximum”, but you can choose to down level even more whenever you want.

The rewards improve the further you limit yourself.

They should get rid of artificial level barriers like “glancing attacks”. Every hit is an honest hit regardless of how low your level is.

So yeah, someone could choose to play as a lvl 1 for the whole game if they wanted to.

Nerelith.7360

Start a new char of a class you know and go out, they are as easy with a brand new char, as with a lvl 80.

Start area’s have to be easy for starters.
- starters do not know the skills and their synergies already
- starters have to learn monster animations and dodge
- starters do not know (not have) the optimal weapon for a situation
- startes will will use armor/weapons badly under their current lvl, no jewellery
- …

As the starting areas have to tolerate all this without killing the new player to often they have to be much to easy for someone who is not doing these mistakes.

When the game was first released, the whole idea was that for a level 80, the entire game should become a level 80 zone. The entire point was to give players the option to NOT have to create a new character to experience low level maps they might have missed the first time.

World completion for a level 80, that has to do another races level 1-15 zone, was supposed to be as challenging for the level 80, as it is for the level 15 next to them.

This was the stated intent of the developers. it is clear that they have now shied away from this stated intent. Maybe possibly because they now find that too many players enjoy roflstomping and facerolling entire newbie zones?

Personally, I feel that Anet should do more, to carry out their stated intent about down-scaling. a level 80 in a level 15 zone should be just as challenged as the level 15 next to them.

I noticed a lot of players saying " I wanna be uber". I always thought that the point of playing a game, … any game is to be challenged. This would increase challenge. What is wrong with facing challenge In a game?

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

When the game was first released, the whole idea was that for a level 80, the entire game should become a level 80 zone. The entire point was to give players the option to NOT have to create a new character to experience low level maps they might have missed the first time.

World completion for a level 80, that has to do another races level 1-15 zone, was supposed to be as challenging for the level 80, as it is for the level 15 next to them.

This was the stated intent of the developers. it is clear that they have now shied away from this stated intent. …

It used to work better before the April 14 change to the trait system. Before that time the mobs in the low levels where harder. I could take my higher level characters around with my sister’s lower level ones and vise-a-versa. After the April screw-up my level 30 or 40 something mesmer could take out the beast master champion in Wayfarers Foothills with 3 shots/skills when it used to take at least 2 people to do it (even better with 3 if you were south of the fort).

If they would just put the mobs back to the way they were it would help a lot. I used enjoy leveling characters but have not started a new one since April so all I have are 8 level 80s and 2 in their 70s. And if I want to go to low level areas, for whatever reason, I will have to take a high level character.