Downscaling Miscommunication ??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Ok so I am going off of what i read from the Developers recently in the AMA replies to various threads and what was relayed to us repeatedly prior and during the BWEs.

I was under the distinct impression that when we played in low level areas we were downscaled but were still provided with level appropriate drops and experience. If i am downscaled, i take the same risk as other players at or around that downscaled level, with that in mind why do i get garbage i cannot really use at my level ?

I spent a bit of comparing on my level 58 Ranger…

Sparkfly Fen level 55-65
1. 55 Cave Spider 107 exps
2. 55 Moa 108 exps – lvl 54 bracer
3. 55 Mosquito 110 exps
4. 56 Marsh Drake 109 exps – 56 shoulder
5. 56 Marsh Drake 108 exps
6. 55 Slamoth 110 exps
7. 56 Cave Spider 110 exps
8. 56 Veteran Cave Spider 219 exps – 58 Masterwork Mace
9. 57 Risen Thrall 109 exps
10. 57 Risen Abomination 110 exps – 56 Axe
Level 57 Event 6,330 exps.

Plains of Ashford Levels 1-15
1. 10 Drake 65 exps -slab of meat
2. 10 Minotaur 65 exps – vial of blood
3. 11 Moa 66 exps – egg
4. 14 Skelk 68 exps – worn hide
5. 14 Veteran Skelk 137 exps
6. 14 Veteran Air Elemental 137 exps
7. 14 Spark 68 exps – glittering dust
8. 14 Skale 68 exps – lvl 7 leggings
9. 15 Rock Dog 70 exps – tiny fang
10. 15 Ogre Brute 70 exps – lvl 14 shoulders
Level 12 event 3,275 exps.

I dunno about what Anet intended, but if i am taking the same risk as other’s in the same area, i should be getting rewarded for the effort. I do not consider getting garbage items as reward for the effort. The exps should be closer to the level i am not almost 1/2 of what i get at my level of difficulty.

The items dropped from downscaled events and mobs should be scaled to my level.

If i am wrong, if i misunderstood, please show me where i was lead astray.

In its current state, other than getting 100% world completion or helping a friend out, i just do not see any point of going back to areas that are below my current level range. Also, once i get world completion on one alt, i really have no desire to do that again.

(edited by Dradiin.8935)

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Why did you choose the starter area? Why would they make it so you could level the whole game there, completely messing up new players’s experiences? Try a higher zone, the starter ones are protected.

Dradiin.8935

Why did you choose the starter area? Why would they make it so you could level the whole game there, completely messing up new players’s experiences? Try a higher zone, the starter ones are protected.

I have no idea what you mean by Starter zones being protected.

I think you are missing the point, if i am downscaled to level 7 and fighting level 7 creatures, i take the exact same risk as a level 7 player.

I think you do not understand what downscaling means, Completely messing up new players experiences ? The intent was to allow high level players to play with new players at there level.

I used the level 1-15 area to show how i did not receive any scaled to my level experience or loot. There should not be any difference where i am downscaled at. Weather it be 1-15 or 20-30.

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

I guess he meant that while the xp gain is supposed to level out at mid level (30 IIRC), lower levels have a somewhat modified xp rate. In other words, comparing e.g. 35 and 55 zones might (I have no idea if it will) give more equal results.

Amra.6028

I think you are missing the point, if i am downscaled to level 7 and fighting level 7 creatures, i take the exact same risk as a level 7 player.

No, because you have a wider array of skills at your disposal, plus the trait bonuses. That’s why you don’t get the full amount.
Plus, the starter areas are protected, you don’t get the full amount there so they’re not full of high level groups steamrolling the entire areas because they get easy XP there.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Amra I really don’t think you understand the concept. You can not steamroll low levels. I have 2 lvl 80s and while I have no problem with mobs at lower levels I am in no way steamrolling anything. The OP is right they claimed that you would be rewarded for your efforts, but if you get a lot less karma and the drops are blue lvl 20 (if in a 20 zone) lvl 80s have no real incentive to go back except for alts, with my alts I am not going for 100% world anymore so I skip 90% of content since it is really not worth it.

No, because you have a wider array of skills at your disposal, plus the trait bonuses. That’s why you don’t get the full amount.
Plus, the starter areas are protected, you don’t get the full amount there so they’re not full of high level groups steamrolling the entire areas because they get easy XP there.

Dradiin.8935

Amra I really don’t think you understand the concept. You can not steamroll low levels. I have 2 lvl 80s and while I have no problem with mobs at lower levels I am in no way steamrolling anything. The OP is right they claimed that you would be rewarded for your efforts, but if you get a lot less karma and the drops are blue lvl 20 (if in a 20 zone) lvl 80s have no real incentive to go back except for alts, with my alts I am not going for 100% world anymore so I skip 90% of content since it is really not worth it.

Glad someone understand what i meant.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Im not sure then what lvl 80’s you have since my lvl 80’s 2-shot with auto-attack any mob in 1-15 areas. I call that steamrolling. There is not a single champion i cant solo or group event i cant do alone…
Drop has been scaled to your level starting at zones 55, and its done like that by accident?
What would be a reason for lvl 80 to go to 1-15 zones anyway? You want to farm easy kill for a chance to get lvl 80 loot? If your back in those zones for sights seeing then your not worried about loot, same goes for helping lowbie friends…

Yargesh.4965

I am not talking about lvl 1. All levels below your level only drop the zone max loot, not your level loot. If you can beat any champ in any lvl up to 80 good for you but that is not the point either. Champs never drop loots as far as I have noticed.

Amra.6028

I am not talking about lvl 1. All levels below your level only drop the zone max loot, not your level loot. If you can beat any champ in any lvl up to 80 good for you but that is not the point either. Champs never drop loots as far as I have noticed.

Wrong.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Did you even read my post? If you have then you probably missed part where i wrote that loot is scaled to your level starting at lvl 55 zones!
And champs are patched so they drop loot with 100% chance.

Yargesh.4965

Wrong.

I did not realize I was wrong, thank-you for correcting me. Did you look over my shoulder while I was killing champs?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I got a level 76 rare dagger by killing a level 7 ghost in Plains of Ashford so I’m not sure what is going on in this thread :P
I was on my level 80 btw.

From my experience: loot is scaled when you go to a lower level zone, however some drops don’t scale: Fine materials / salvage objects NEVER scale, it would’ve been impossible for level 80s to find lower tier materials otherwise, also, WHITE drops are usually lower level (to the zone level I believe) but anything above that is scaled to your actual level not your effective level.

The higher the quality, the higher the level, so rare items you find EVEN on 1-15 zones are higher level while Blue items and Green items sometimes are of lower level than your actual level. This “rule” doesn’t apply to special named items, for example Caudecus’s Journal is a green drop in CM and it is always of a fixed level (45) and of green quality regardless of the actual player level.

As for the experience difference: did you count how many seconds you need to kill mobs of different levels? If the lower level mobs provided equal experience to the higher level ones, everyone would’ve been farming the lower level ones for experience since you can easily 1-shot them, while the higher levels are a lot more challenging.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Posted by: robber.4613

robber.4613

Forgot where I read it, but you will get lvl 80 items from level 60 zones and up. Just did this myself as I’m going for map completion now. Once I dipped into zones lower than that I stopped getting 80 loot.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

From the Nov 15 patch notes

The amount of loot that drops for downscaled players has been increased. You should now be able to receive level-equivalent loot until you are fighting at a downscaled level that is less than 2/3 of your actual level. You should also receive loot a greater percentage of the time as well as receiving a greater percentage of experience, gold, and karma. For level 80 characters, this means level 55+ areas will be able to drop level 80 gear and give about 75% or so of the other rewards. Previously, these areas would give level 77 gear at best and closer to 60% or so of your rewards.

Amra.6028

Wrong.

I did not realize I was wrong, thank-you for correcting me. Did you look over my shoulder while I was killing champs?

You’re wrong for stating loot is zone-locked. You get 80s in starter areas, it’s just a lower chance so you don’t have incentive to farm there, spoiling lower levels fun. As stated, full rewards are in the 60ish zones, the rest is tuned down more or less so you go there for other reasons than easy farming.

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

do you really believe that?

I know downscaling adds a little bit of risk, but I can still rofl stomp monsters in lvl 1-15 zones as if I wasn’t downscaled.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Amra I really don’t think you understand the concept. You can not steamroll low levels. I have 2 lvl 80s and while I have no problem with mobs at lower levels I am in no way steamrolling anything.

First I agree with the OP’s concept and what is happening for the most part. However they don’t downscale enough and I do steamroll/faceroll anything at lower levels. There needs to be more taken away when down-scaling. However I do agree with level appropriate drops, because that is what makes down-scaling ok for an 80 to help a new character out.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

do you really believe that?

I know downscaling adds a little bit of risk, but I can still rofl stomp monsters in lvl 1-15 zones as if I wasn’t downscaled.

Same here, The only mobs that pose a danger to me in 1-15 zones are the meta event endbosses. The only other way for me to die there is if I get careless. Normal mobs and veterans no sweat. Champions take a while, but nothing special about them either. Only a handful of champions at that level give me trouble.

That’s why starter zones give so much less rewards as opposed of higher level zones. You can get lower level drops yes, but you also still get higher level ones.