Downscaling and equipment

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: leertaste.5714

leertaste.5714

Hello everyone,

with the upcoming release, I have a question about the downscaling system, since I want to take a slow approach and enjoy my revenant just like I did my first characters: slowly going through the maps, getting gear only by heart vendors and personal story.

However, I would like to use all the experience towards the mastery system already and as I understand, you can only advance tyrian mastery tracks once you’re level 80.

Can’t really test it out right now and I’m curious: does anyone know what happens, if a level 80 character puts on let’s say green level 20 stuff and goes into an area, where he is downscaled to level 20? Would the gear have the same effectiveness as level 20 green stuff on a level 20 character or is there some weird downscaling relative to your level involved for lower level gear?

Thanks for your help!

Posted by: Sidenti.6035

Sidenti.6035

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

The game doesn’t care which level requirement your gear has. It just adds up all attributes together and then downscales them based on your own level.

After a recent change, the attributes from gear get downscaled much harsher than before. Using level 20 gear is about same as not having gear at all.

Posted by: leertaste.5714

leertaste.5714

Boo,

well thanks for the clarification!

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

The game doesn’t care which level requirement your gear has. It just adds up all attributes together and then downscales them based on your own level.

After a recent change, the attributes from gear get downscaled much harsher than before. Using level 20 gear is about same as not having gear at all.

Of course they didn’t scale up rewards with it. No one goes to lower level zones for the tiny event pittance of copper or karma anyway but still. Since same level drops still happen in lower zones there’s very little incentive to go there other than gathering mats anyway.