Dragon Stand Toxic Chat (Heart of Thorns)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mirion.9361

Mirion.9361

Ok something need to be settled here, Im tired of all these players blaming one player after another because someone made a small mistake and probably is new. But that still does not give you the right to trash talk anybody for making a mistake. Why do people act like this in MMOs and just get along instead i like a friendly communtiy please. And i want a stop to this.!!

Posted by: Jeremiel.8350

Jeremiel.8350

They do so because they can. I am sure they are usually quite nice people in real life but they consider anything goes as it is only a game. Very sad if you ask me ….

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Report them? It’s there for a reason. If that person does it enough eventually they will be banned.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

GW2 players seem to have more drama queens among them than most other games…

Like the guy in EOTM that literally starts screaming at everyone in map chat over every little mistake he perceives anyone making when he lands in one.

Posted by: Tironas.7053

Tironas.7053

Generally people don’t change if you tell them nicely. They will only act when they are emotionally involved.

Calling you out on being bad is TEACHING you how to be a better player. So instead of being the victim and playing dumb you should own up to mistakes and just accept that someone else may know more than you do.

Is it a nice way of teaching? No. Are there other ways to help people? Of course! But to really help someone would be time consuming and you don’t even know if they care about your opinions. However when you start attacking someone they will immediately focus their attention and read intently. Now how much is filtered because of anger we don’t know but surely some of the ‘mean advice’ must seep through even if they don’t admit it.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

GW2 players seem to have more drama queens among them than most other games…

Like the guy in EOTM that literally starts screaming at everyone in map chat over every little mistake he perceives anyone making when he lands in one.

Its quite simply .. the more “challenging” the content the more drama ..

Or in other words, there is no drama when events can’t fail, and thats why in PvE
in the old world there were always so much nice people.

But the more ANet listens to the “make it harder” crowd and especially brings that
in the open world, instead of hiding those guys just in instances, the more we
see this behaviour now also in the open world.

Oh .. and hello to my Stalker NT.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Generally people don’t change if you tell them nicely. They will only act when they are emotionally involved.

Calling you out on being bad is TEACHING you how to be a better player. So instead of being the victim and playing dumb you should own up to mistakes and just accept that someone else may know more than you do.

Is it a nice way of teaching? No. Are there other ways to help people? Of course! But to really help someone would be time consuming and you don’t even know if they care about your opinions. However when you start attacking someone they will immediately focus their attention and read intently. Now how much is filtered because of anger we don’t know but surely some of the ‘mean advice’ must seep through even if they don’t admit it.

lol are you joking or do you actually believe this? You don’t “teach” someone by complaining and insulting them, that just makes them ignore you

Posted by: Mirion.9361

Mirion.9361

So if i want talking about how bad player you are and talked about your family thats give me the right to then right if so please let me know !!

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

To be fair HoT is challenging content, you either help the team or you simply dont join the map. People put in this a lot of effort, and when you tell them same person 6x that this is wrong, has no loot, and they will fail if they hit lords or stuff like.. not killing vinetender.. then you get kittened off after 6x telling them do that please. The 7th time is just over the limit.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The 7th time is just over the limit.

If a person can’t control their own temper, then the problem is with them and not anyone else on the map.

That person ought to be the one logging off and doing something else for a while until they can calm down and get control.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions instead of basically saying, “Everyone else drove me to it.” That’s just an adolescent excuse.

And yelling at and insulting people teaches absolutely nothing except how to get on other players’ ignore lists.

Posted by: CindyKa.6137

CindyKa.6137

@Tironas.7053 if what you say is true. Then why aren’t you a better player by now? You really have no clue. This is a game anonymity is a griefers best friend. Scream at them and most will do the opposite. Your comment is clear no one ever yelled at you about being a decent human, if what you say is true lol.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

With respect, I’ve had to run in circles for over 40 minutes before, because the other lanes with as much resources as my own could not get their stuff together. Thats 40 minutes of wasted time and effort, with death, no loot / experience, and dizzyness thrown in.

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

I can certainly understand why people want to rage when every single step of the way you are told by event text and voiced lines exactly what to do and people still somehow can’t do it.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

This is not true, calling someone out is not “teaching”. You would also need to instruct them on what to do right, or how to improve. Saying “x needs to L2P” is not teaching, it’s insulting: and that’s the point. Most comments like this are not intended to help the player, they are intended to insult the other player.

“Just accept that someone may know more” True… However if someone is constantly “leading” failed attempts, they may want to rethink their actions and strats. Entering a map and barking orders/insults is a quick way to get blocked and have no one listen. Try being constructive and positive, a good attitude goes a LONG way when it comes to team work.

However when you start attacking someone they will immediately focus their attention and read intently. Now how much is filtered because of anger we don’t know but surely some of the ‘mean advice’ must seep through even if they don’t admit it.

LOL Or they will just block you and move on… I really don’t think flaming people and being rude in public channels is the best way to motivate people or make friends.

(edited by Miku.6297)

Tironas.7053

I notice how many people reacted emotionally to my comment. thus proving my point that people will listen when they are angered rather than indifferent.

I’ll mention again the questions I posed that everyone replying seems to have ignored.
Is it a nice way of teaching? No. Are there other ways to help people? Of course!

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I notice how many people reacted emotionally to my comment. thus proving my point that people will listen when they are angered rather than indifferent.

I’ll mention again the questions I posed that everyone replying seems to have ignored.
Is it a nice way of teaching? No. Are there other ways to help people? Of course!

Oh, they’ll listen, but only to the insult. They’ll ignore the part that gives criticism. So they won’t learn anything.

Heck, if someone insulted me when I possibly made a mistake, here’s what I would think:

“Oh, they messed up and are looking for someone else to blame because they’re too perfect to make a mistake.”

Then I would report depending on the severity of the insult. And I would most likely block, which would be very very bad for any commander. You don’t want those you’re commanding to block you.

Miku.6297

I don’t really feel emotional about my response or your point, I’m simply trying to explain that most people will not interact well with someone who comes on and slings insulting comments and condescending “lessons”.

Please think this through, people react negatively when angered rather then indifferent. Someone who feels insulted is less likely to comply and work together with the person who is being offensive. They are far more likely to simply block the offender, and move on. A small percentage of people may attempt to improve, and others may intentionally go out of their way to irritate the criticizing player more.

I never ignore your last statement I just disagree with it. If the main purpose of a comment is to help improve another players ability or to “teach” them what you think is right, then there is no need for rude/insulting comments. Like I said, when someone says “x is a noob L2P”; they are not teaching anything. You seem to have ignore how most people who didn’t agree with your comment said the only thing acting like that “teaches” is how to get on everyones block list in short order.

TL:DR, if players who are indifferent won’t listen (I actually think this is completly untrue); players who are angry see what you said but will most likely block, and/or not cooperate with you; players who feel included and like their help is valued are more willing to work with people.

Tironas.7053

I don’t really feel emotional about my response or your point, I’m simply trying to explain that most people will not interact well with someone who comes on and slings insulting comments and condescending “lessons”.

Please think this through, people react negatively when angered rather then indifferent. Someone who feels insulted is less likely to comply and work together with the person who is being offensive. They are far more likely to simply block the offender, and move on. A small percentage of people may attempt to improve, and others may intentionally go out of their way to irritate the criticizing player more.

I never ignore your last statement I just disagree with it. If the main purpose of a comment is to help improve another players ability or to “teach” them what you think is right, then there is no need for rude/insulting comments. Like I said, when someone says “x is a noob L2P”; they are not teaching anything. You seem to have ignore how most people who didn’t agree with your comment said the only thing acting like that “teaches” is how to get on everyones block list in short order.

TL:DR, if players who are indifferent won’t listen (I actually think this is completly untrue); players who are angry see what you said but will most likely block, and/or not cooperate with you; players who feel included and like their help is valued are more willing to work with people.

You are under the assumption that when I call people out I just scream ‘L2P NOOB’ and insult them whereas in reality I call them out AND tell them why AND how to avoid it.

1) Repeatedly not following basic mechanics – “XXXX don’t stand in the kitten purple circles or you die” – “If you are double down waypoint back”

2) Giving out misleading information – on dragons stand X person said in map chat “You need to kill them all at the same time!” – this is wrong and teaches people the wrong thing. I listened to this person and learned something that was WRONG.
This person wasted the time of an entire map because they ‘thought’ they were right.

3) Not following basic orders (from people who know the fights better than I do) in dragons stand / tangled depths – STAY AT YOUR KITTEN PODS

Of course there is a period when people are still new to the fights and have to learn them. I fully understand that someone completely new to the fight will probably do plenty of things wrong and that is fine.

The reason why people / I get angry is because our time has been wasted because of someone else’s ignorance. Failing a TD or DS is a 2 hour wait that some of us don’t have the time to wait out.

The other day we lost TD by 0.5% and one second. I can’t be certain why but I will bet cash that some people didn’t use sharpening stones and food even though the map commanders repeatedly told EVERYONE how important it was.

Would it have made a difference? Yes. Every single person in the meta is important. Therefore every single person needs to take responsibility for losing the meta even if they did all their jobs correctly. Those who do their mechanics correctly can reflect and go “we did our job, it wasn’t our side that failed.” Those who didn’t do the mechanic properly need to be told what to do or otherwise they will just leave and never come back because it was ‘too hard’

If nobody told me what I was doing was wrong how would I know? People are telling me “I’m not a decent human being” Do I take this personally? Of course not. I try to understand the point. You (other replies included) seem to be saying being friendly and loving is the only way to help people. This is something I disagree with.

The ultimate point I am trying to make is I know that when people are angry it’s because they want to SUCCEED. No matter how the knowledge is presented – friendly whispers / angry map rage / guild chat / angry insults the point is that none of these people want me to fail.

(edited by Tironas.7053)

Tironas.7053

Oh, they’ll listen, but only to the insult. They’ll ignore the part that gives criticism. So they won’t learn anything.

Heck, if someone insulted me when I possibly made a mistake, here’s what I would think:

“Oh, they messed up and are looking for someone else to blame because they’re too perfect to make a mistake.”

Then I would report depending on the severity of the insult. And I would most likely block, which would be very very bad for any commander. You don’t want those you’re commanding to block you.

This is because you take an insult from the internet seriously whereas I do not. When you make a mistake you should take responsibility for it.

“I’ll remember that next time.”
“Okay I didn’t know that.”
“Oh is THAT how it works?”

Was that so hard?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I just report block and move on, its far easier than calling them on it honestly.

If you get rude with me, i tune you out and dont listen, and block you. No emotions attached, i just dont have time for rude people that i have an option to avoid. Im fairly sure most people do this to.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

context? OP?

Tironas.7053

I will completely concede that people who feel included are more likely to help.

I still think that even if I am blocked they are still likely to think about what they are doing the next time around even if I am not part of that meta. This is something I am fine with because the end goal is the same. The event gets completed.

(edited by Tironas.7053)

Miku.6297

You are under the assumption that when I call people out I just scream ‘L2P NOOB’ and insult them whereas in reality I call them out AND tell them why AND how to avoid it.

You could instead simply message them privately or make your suggestions in map chat without a name. Calling someone out or singling them out because YOU feel they are doing the wrong thing only triggers defensive behavior and attitudes.

1) Repeatedly not following basic mechanics – “XXXX don’t stand in the kitten purple circles or you die” – “If you are double down waypoint back”

2) Giving out misleading information – on dragons stand X person said in map chat “You need to kill them all at the same time!” – this is wrong and teaches people the wrong thing. I listened to this person and learned something that was WRONG.
This person wasted the time of an entire map because they ‘thought’ they were right.

To do any of this, do you need to single a person out in public chat and tell them how terrible they are for doing it? Or could you just use /map and say Watch out for purple patches guys. This would accomplish roughly the same thing, those that care will listen (and are probably trying allready) those that don’t won’t listen (they wont listen if you single them out either, it just starts a toxic /map arguement).

3) Not following basic orders (from people who know the fights better than I do) in dragons stand / tangled depths – STAY AT YOUR KITTEN PODS

Someone entering a public map may not know who does or does not know the fight. It’s kinda unpleasant to enter a map and each event or area you get to be told “leave we don’t need or want you here” (this is more A-nets event design issue then anything). Though it’s understandable with the way scaling works it’s very important to not have more then a certain amount of players in certain areas. Now my question again for the last part; do you think saying “STAY AT YOUR KITTEN PODS” gets more positive attention/reactions than simply saying “Stay at your pods” or even “Please stay at your pods everyone”?

The reason why people / I get angry is because our time has been wasted because of someone else’s ignorance. Failing a TD or DS is a 2 hour wait that some of us don’t have the time to wait out.

The other day we lost TD by 0.5% and one second. I can’t be certain why but I will bet cash that some people didn’t use sharpening stones and food even though the map commanders repeatedly told EVERYONE how important it was.

Sorry not everyone is going to bring sharpening stones and food to a PUBLIC OPEN WORLD map, it’s just the way it is.

If nobody told me what I was doing was wrong how would I know? People are telling me “I’m not a decent human being” Do I take this personally? Of course not. I try to understand the point. You (other replies included) seem to be saying being friendly and loving is the only way to help people. This is something I disagree with.

The ultimate point I am trying to make is I know that when people are angry it’s because they want to SUCCEED. No matter how the knowledge is presented – friendly whispers / angry map rage / guild chat / angry insults the point is that none of these people want me to fail.

When you call someone out on map chat, that’s a pretty good way to make sure they take it personally… I mean you literally MAKE IT PERSONAL by calling them out, which is usually the point.

We are not saying “friendly and loving” is the only way to help teach people, we are saying rude and negative will not produce a positive reaction from most people. It will infact land you on /block lists or possably get you/your run trolled. Calling others out, insulting the way they play, condescending and rude comments are not constructive, and will more often than not, not teach anything.

Same as I said befor. You can TEACH something without being rude or calling someone out. How often do you see a prof or teacher (of good standing/merit) stand infront of a class and berate a student?

Dante.1763

This is the part of the reason why hard metas fail. You don’t listen to other people and value your opinion above others.

Not at all. if someone is talking respectfully in map chat i will listen, especially if ive never done the event before and have no clue what to do. if someone is yelling and screaming, and calling people stupid, idiots, or kittens, i wont, even if i havent done the event before, at that point i turn off map chat.

You can teach and be respectful, you dont need to insult others.

The worst offenders of this(what i said above) are in my opinion the ones who scream at people who have asked multiple times what to do, or the ones who just assume that everyone knows what to do. Then the person calls them morons for not knowing what to do, without explaining anything.

When im commanding an event, i make sure to explain it as we go along, without yelling, i seldom have problems.

Being rude isnt an opinion either, treat others with respect, you might be surprised at how well they listen, i had to teach that to my dad, who thought the best way to teach me anything was to constantly yell and scream at me(i dont learn this way, period, you want me to pay attention, talk to me respectfully.). Took him 13 years, but he finally realized that i learn better when someone sits down, calmly, and explains what to do, or better yet, shows me what to do. Havent had any problems IRL with that either, almost everyone ive worked for treats their employees with respect, its pretty awesome actually. I stop listening when people start yelling over stupid things(like a video game).

The poster above me, is also 100% correct.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Tironas.7053

It’s pretty clear where people stand on this and we’ve gotten our points across.
I think that people can learn by being called out AND being talked to respectfully.
You guys respectfully disagree =)

Dante.1763

It’s pretty clear where people stand on this and we’ve gotten our points across.
I think that people can learn by being called out AND being talked to respectfully.

That is true

and i will concede, that people learn in different ways, im sure some people do learn by being called out in such a manner!

I and it looks the OP are just not among them

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

That is true

and i will concede, that people learn in different ways, im sure some people do learn by being called out in such a manner!

The biggest problem is people are making the false assumption that there is never a prior attempt at civil instruction before the flaming starts.

This is often not the case and most of the rage happens because people specifically had the event explained or had someone tell them what they are doing wrong and then went and completely bungled things up.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Tironas.7053

That is true

And to be clear, simply being rude doesn’t help anyone. The points you guys make are unopposable because they are right.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

nope if someone is acting that way to anyone in map chat they go straight on my block list, everyone has to start somewhere and it does not help AT ALL when people act like its ok to attack them like that.
ive been quite fortunate with my gw2 first times and have had positive learning experiences that actually taught me what i needed to know, whether it was by being explained from someone or a group of us figuring it out together

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Dante.1763

The biggest problem is people are making the false assumption that there is never a prior attempt at civil instruction before the flaming starts.

This is often not the case and most of the rage happens because people specifically had the event explained or had someone tell them what they are doing wrong and then went and completely bungled things up.

That is true, and usually i want to see the context of such a situation before i make judgment!

Miku.6297

I agree people can learn both ways, being spotted and told what was wrong is one thing. I.E. Name.#### Stop standing in purple patches! It’s calling someone out, but not intentionaly over agressive. vs Name.#### Stop standing in the purple patches kittening noob. (This is an attack on the other player and most of the time not welcome)

So being called out is one thing, being called out and insulted is uncalled for.

Any way! Good luck on your next DS!

Tironas.7053

I agree people can learn both ways, being spotted and told what was wrong is one thing. I.E. Name.#### Stop standing in purple patches! It’s calling someone out, but not intentionaly over agressive. vs Name.#### Stop standing in the purple patches kittening noob. (This is an attack on the other player and most of the time not welcome)

So being called out is one thing, being called out and insulted is uncalled for.

Any way! Good luck on your next DS!

Agreed!

Dante.1763

That is true

And to be clear, simply being rude doesn’t help anyone. The points you guys make are unopposable because they are right.

Thank you! ^-^ And goodluck in DS!

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

Just saying “You are bad” isn’t teaching. By and large the people who say that to begin with are terrible in their own right and just want to deflect blame, but either way, teaching is providing a way to get better, actually critiquing in a manner that isn’t going to escalate a situation and make someone angry or kittened off (since they won’t listen to you if you sit there and insult them).

It’s just an insult that has 0 productive value to anyone and calling it “teaching” is beyond incorrect.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Just saying “You are bad” isn’t teaching.

Which is why that isn’t usually what is said first.

Most any time I have ever seen a map descend into a flame fest is when people were first told what they were doing wrong (possibly rudely but still instruction none the less) but then just ignored it like the map chat was in a foreign language.

The worst and most common is people who die at an event but then refuse to respawn despite multiple chat messages telling people to release and run back. They just lay on the ground knowing full well (because people are telling them) that it scales the event because they don’t want to have to run back. Never mind the event not being one that you can afford to sit still in and massage someone back to life.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

This is because you take an insult from the internet seriously whereas I do not. When you make a mistake you should take responsibility for it.

“I’ll remember that next time.”
“Okay I didn’t know that.”
“Oh is THAT how it works?”

Was that so hard?

Where did I say that I took it seriously? The fact that I think the person is deflecting blame means I don’t take it seriously. Because if I did, I would think that you insulted me.

Maybe those of you who yell insults at people take the game too seriously. Yes, it sucks that the event failed after hours of preparation. But it is open world. It’s not possible to control every variable that can and will likely go wrong. If you want challenging content where you can control those variables to a higher degree, then wait for raids to come out.

Now, I’m not saying that yelling and getting angry at the map over the situation is bad. There’s just absolutely no need for insults.

The average person when they see “Lesson, Insult” or “Insult, Lesson” remember the insult over the lesson. Or will be more likely to the next time they see you at the event to intentionally mess up. Just to make you mad.

And then the worst thing: some will start blocking you. Then your commands go to waste and you hit chat suppression because enough people have blocked you.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Please don’t ever have children.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

As a Ranger main i learned to switch my chat box to Combat and ignore chat bubbles
in H.O.T

This song plays in my head when ever ppl rage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g---BzLfN2w