Dragonbrand population problems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tarrek.7436

Tarrek.7436

So I transfered to Dragonbrand just before the free world transfers ended due to a couple guildies from another MMO playing on it. At the time I thought that I would just be able to continue playing as I did before. God was I wrong.
My usual play style in this game is to play WvW mostly and do an occasional dungeon. So anyway, I get over here and go into EB and find… that it is dead. We are heavily out numbered and own nothing. “It’s early though,” I think to myself. maybe it’s just an off morning. Over the next week I check back in on it several times and notice that the numbers barely ever get any better and even when they are at their highest they are still crap.
Outside WvW it isn’t much better. In the time since I’ve transfered I’ve been able to run one Arah SM only do to the recent Arah changes, and one fractals.
Are people on this server just dull, or is it dead? Is something going to be done about this or is anyone who actually wants to play the game and is stuck on this server just screwed?
Also, don’t even mention transfering servers. A transfer cost that is half the cost of the game is simply stupid.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Lol.

It’s Kaineng. They are absolutely massive.

Dragonbrand is T3. You don’t get there by being “dead”. Kaineng is an anomaly. You should have been here for the last two matches before they arrived.

And your inability to utilize tools such as gw2lfg.com is your own fault if you can’t get a fractal group. I get 3 per day and more if I wanna farm.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Tarrek.7436

That still doesn’t explain the lack of activity outside of WvW.

Posted by: Revan.6259

Revan.6259

Perhaps you only play at your server’s slowest time.

Posted by: JarXLite.6720

JarXLite.6720

That still doesn’t explain the lack of activity outside of WvW.

Guesting?

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Kumu Honua.2751

DB has no slow time. We have a rather large oceanic/asian population. There’s lots online day and night. More at night though. Our Oceanics are quite large in size.

<3 you NNK!

Tarrek.7436

I’m standing in Lion’s Arch right now. It’s 9pm server. There is not one person in chat. Not even a troll or something. Usually you can see someone looking for a dungeon or just chatting, but right now. Nothing.

Posted by: Zookeeper.2513

Zookeeper.2513

I was on Dragonbrand for quite a long time, finally had to leave due to lack of activity. While the WvW had improved and was great during peak times, everything else was lacking. It was a rarity when we had any temples non-contested in Machor’s Leap/Cursed Shore, dungeon groups (outside of FOTM and AC) were hard to get, and overall PvE seemed to be, well, lacking. Maybe it’s gotten better in the past month, who knows.

Kumu Honua.2751

I’m standing in Lion’s Arch right now. It’s 9pm server. There is not one person in chat. Not even a troll or something. Usually you can see someone looking for a dungeon or just chatting, but right now. Nothing.

Funny. I got sent to an overflow for LA. Must be dead. Serious.

Tarrek.7436

I’m pretty sure the overflow is automatic. I’ve never not been put in the overflow first regardless of the server I’m on. I just asked in chat if anyone was alive. You know how many responses I got? One.

Kumu Honua.2751

Then go. DB will survive I am pretty sure. I certainly won’t stop you. You have made up your mind already.

Kumu Honua.2751

Then stop exaggerating. I went to LA non-overflow. Within 3 minutes there were 5 LFG’s. 1 for CoF, 1 for CM story. 3 for various fractal levels. And wvwvw is alive and freaking well.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

I’ve been on Dragonbrand since Headstart. I have seen people comment before that the population doesn’t appear to be what it used to be, but appearances can be deceptive.

Back when the game launched, everyone was at a low level and therefore the low level maps were absolutely packed, while the high level maps were ghost towns. Now that dynamic has changed. 99% of those people that were struggling to tag anything in Kessex DE’s back in September are level 80, and a large number of them have multiple 80s. The population is now spread throughout the game world, dungeons, fractals, Mists and WvW. This leaves far fewer players in many places… but it is by no means dead.

Just the other day I had to put up with culling in Straits of Devastation because there were so many people doing Balthazar . A day later I was in Wayfarer Foothills for map completion (and doing the Living Story while I was there) and there were at least 30 people doing the Frozen Maw event. The day after that I was doing map completion in Diessa Plateau and there were about 20 people that came to kill the giant… the day before yesterday, when I was there on a new character, it took us over an hour to get six people together for the same event. And before you say that it was only because of the Living Story (and I have no doubts that that played a role in the population), I have seen similar numbers of people in Brisban, Metrica and Malchor’s.

Remember also that just because nobody is talking doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Personally, I rarely talk in /map unless I have something to contribute to an on-going discussion or have a question or comment about something. If I’m in LA I am there to use the Vault, do some crafting and/or pick up stuff from BLTC, otherwise I am out in the world doing stuff.

Something that I have noticed in the last week that probably also has relevance to this is that I have been seeing a lot more people using /say rather than /map to have their discussions.

One thing that I absolutely will say to support the notion that there are less people is that going into the BLTC rarely results in culling anymore. I was shocked the other night to only see four people there… a couple of hours later there were about a dozen.

Unless something has changed recently, overflow is not automatic.

As far as WvW goes, I’ve been away for a while and seeing Kaineng in our bracket was a real “what the kitteny kitten” moment.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

(edited by Sokar Rostau.7316)

Kumu Honua.2751

Unless something has changed recently, overflow is not automatic.

Actually after he mentioned it. I do not recall the last time I simply zoned into LA and was not put into an overflow. It’s the only place that occurs as far as I have seen.

I travel to DB when I want to keep an eye on the wvwvw scores.