Drain the currency

Drain the currency

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Exchanging gold for gems or gems for gold does not create any new gold, it just shifts around existing gold and gems between players, so has no effect on inflation at all.

But it IS a gold sink as both sides are taxed 25% or so for the exchange.

Drain the currency

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I don’t think the wealthiest players have an exaggerated effect on long-term inflation. The bulk of recipes and production goals in GW2 are non-recurring; players don’t need 1 unit of gear every week, they need X units of gear. Gold increases the rate of production, meaning wealthier players effect the price of goods for a shorter amount of time. The effect of the 1% on prices is most pronounced immediately after new recipes are released. Steady, middle to upper middle class earners likely have a greater impact on long term inflation.

The gem exchange’s connection to inflation depends on how you think it fits within a player lifestyle. Imo, it is likely to be a regular part of enough player’s lifestyle and account for a large enough share of currency activity to be included in a CPI.

The gem exchange can increase the supply of gold (which isn’t the only factor in inflation). Players generate gold and anything that prompts players to generate gold will increase the supply and demand for gold. New gold generated specifically to buy gems is gold that would not have existed without the gem exchange and 1g taxed at 33% still leaves you with some silver.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Drain the currency

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

For transparency, im a TP player and what some may consider a TP whale, despite having not played for 2 years, and just got back im still in the 1% of gold worth even by today’s standards so there will be some bias but suggestions is made with valid concerns.

Please release some comestic item that cost 1000g-5000g Liquid Gold with some 50g-100g for the smaller players.
It has to purchase from a vendor as its the only direct and effective means of removing gold from the economy.

This will drain some gold from the richer because the TP fees cant keep up inflation.

Having less gold in the system means players can purchase more for less, something that benefit YOU, the consumer.

Please cite your evidence that currency inflation is an issue and that greater gold sinks are therefore necessary.

Gold to gem steady increase is the best indication that inflation is not only real, it places heavy burden for newer and casual players to experience the richer features of the game. This extends to the overall TP. Things become more expensive as an overall trend. Newer players takes the hit as more things become more out of reach. While TP whales like me may have their currency a bit less valuable, we ultimately will still be able to afford anything and everything that catches our fancy.

Inflation is real, but so is the ability to obtain gold. You can’t just cite inflation being a problem without looking at other factors. Inflation is not a problem as long as it’s controlled. You haven’t provided evidence and Anet does have and use methods to control inflation. In addition, Anet does do things similar to what you are asking …

Drain the currency

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

drain the things that cause inflation – e.g blatant abuse of poor design (AB multiloot) and introduce more stuff that costs gold without creating a power race: utilities, legendary items, fluff, a new source of demand (housing!!)

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Drain the currency

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The gem exchange can increase the supply of gold (which isn’t the only factor in inflation). Players generate gold and anything that prompts players to generate gold will increase the supply and demand for gold. New gold generated specifically to buy gems is gold that would not have existed without the gem exchange and 1g taxed at 33% still leaves you with some silver.

Except it doesn’t. The exchange doesn’t create gold, or gems, out of nothing. The gold players get from selling gems comes from a “vault” of gold stocked by players buying gems with gold and the gems they are buying are from a “vault” of gems stocked by players selling gems. When the game launched the “vaults” were seeded but since then it’s all us pouring in and pulling out gold and gems.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Drain the currency

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Except it doesn’t. The exchange doesn’t create gold, or gems, out of nothing. The gold players get from selling gems comes from a “vault” of gold stocked by players buying gems with gold and the gems they are buying are from a “vault” of gems stocked by players selling gems. When the game launched the “vaults” were seeded but since then it’s all us pouring in and pulling out gold and gems.

He didnt say that the exchange creates gold. He said that some players do purposefully generate gold specifically to convert to gems. This is true. Some players do actively farm for the sole purpose of converting to gems when there is something in the gem store that they want.

Drain the currency

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

This will drain some gold from the richer because the TP fees cant keep up inflation.

Sure they can. In fact they keep up with inflation by construction.

No, it’s a terrible indicator. The gold:gem ratio has frequently gone up or down independently of the money supply.

In fact, it’s not an indicator at all. Gold:gem ratio is as much a measure of gold inflation as it is a measure of US dollar inflation or Euro inflation. The two are not completely unrelated, but the correlation is close to zero.

Evil idea which would force most people to diversify their farming habits – to ensure their wealth isn’t locked into an single currency they could be robbed of.

An idea which makes your ‘currencies’ no longer currencies. If you put something like that in the game people would store their wealth in ectos or powerful bloods or whatever the game does not consider a currency, as it would then be more of a currency than gold. You know, the situation in a huge number of MMOs with failed primary currencies.

It would also make the trading post largely unworkable, since holding gold is a liability…which would make just about everyone a whole lot poorer.

This sort of thing benefits long term, dedicated traders that understand the systems, but hurts the casual player that doesn’t have time to dig into the nuances of trade and just expect gold to work.

Drain the currency

Behellagh.1468

He didnt say that the exchange creates gold. He said that some players do purposefully generate gold specifically to convert to gems. This is true. Some players do actively farm for the sole purpose of converting to gems when there is something in the gem store that they want.

True, my bad. But the exchange wasn’t meant to be the way to buy EVERYTHING you want from the Gem Shop, and sometimes it seems too many players think that. But I wouldn’t use the exchange rate as a gauge for overall inflation in the economy, just like I wouldn’t use Precursors, Legendary Weapons or Unlimited Contract Unlocks.

RIP City of Heroes

Drain the currency

Psientist.6437

Sure they can. In fact they keep up with inflation by construction.

No, it’s a terrible indicator. The gold:gem ratio has frequently gone up or down independently of the money supply.

In fact, it’s not an indicator at all. Gold:gem ratio is as much a measure of gold inflation as it is a measure of US dollar inflation or Euro inflation. The two are not completely unrelated, but the correlation is close to zero.

Theoretically, TP taxes could keep pace with new gold creation.

The exchange rate is much more closely tied to Tyrian gold activity and variations in the Tyrian economy than it is to the US dollar or Euro and their respective economies. I am not arguing that it should be used as an indicator though.

Finn the human

(edited by Psientist.6437)

Drain the currency

Psientist.6437

True, my bad. But the exchange wasn’t meant to be the way to buy EVERYTHING you want from the Gem Shop, and sometimes it seems too many players think that. But I wouldn’t use the exchange rate as a gauge for overall inflation in the economy, just like I wouldn’t use Precursors, Legendary Weapons or Unlimited Contract Unlocks.

I’m sure many players use the gem exchange to supplement their cash shop purchases; buy some gems with gold and some with cash. That would be revenue the studio would have never seen without the gem exchange.

Finn the human

Drain the currency

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

An idea which makes your ‘currencies’ no longer currencies. If you put something like that in the game people would store their wealth in ectos or powerful bloods or whatever the game does not consider a currency, as it would then be more of a currency than gold. You know, the situation in a huge number of MMOs with failed primary currencies.

Like that other Guild Wars game? :P

Although in that case it was at least partially due to a cap in how much platinum you and your bank can hold.

Drain the currency

Behellagh.1468

I’m sure many players use the gem exchange to supplement their cash shop purchases; buy some gems with gold and some with cash. That would be revenue the studio would have never seen without the gem exchange.

Yes, to supplement but many seem to treat it as the ONLY way. Yes the gems were bought first by someone and then traded in the exchange for gold before they are sold for gold. ANet isn’t making anything on gold spend on gems. But I too often see posts lamenting they can’t farm enough gold for the new 400/600/800 gem item in the shop every week. Well guess what, gems cost the same with real money as they did on launch day.

RIP City of Heroes

Drain the currency

Psientist.6437

Yes, to supplement but many seem to treat it as the ONLY way. Yes the gems were bought first by someone and then traded in the exchange for gold before they are sold for gold. ANet isn’t making anything on gold spend on gems. But I too often see posts lamenting they can’t farm enough gold for the new 400/600/800 gem item in the shop every week. Well guess what, gems cost the same with real money as they did on launch day.

I am addicted to pedanticism .

Anet could make money on gold to gem sales. The potential for profit would depend on the percentage of gold sales that would have been cash sales assuming the exchange did not exist and the broader effect of those unconvertible gold sales. I would be willing to bet even money that the percentage would be low, below 20%.

From the value of that share (which likely conforms to the average of $3.88/month) you would deduct box sales that were motivated by the gem exchange, the value of having more skins from the gem store advertised in-game, and the value of the gem to gold exchange.

I would be very surprised if the gem store weren’t more profitable with the gold to gem exchange than without.

Finn the human

(edited by Psientist.6437)

Drain the currency

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

drain the things that cause inflation – e.g blatant abuse of poor design (AB multiloot) and introduce more stuff that costs gold without creating a power race: utilities, legendary items, fluff, a new source of demand (housing!!)

I dont think AB multiloot causes inflation. I could be wrong though, as I have never done it ankitten ot 100% about the average loot you get.
But from what I have heard, most of the value people get from ABML is from selling mats they earn from salvaging the gear they got as loot.
For example, if you earn 10g per hour doing ABML but only 1g is a direct gold reward and the other 9g come from selling the rest of your loot on the tp, you end up paying 1.35g in fees and taxes, so it bascially acts as a gold sink.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Drain the currency

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For example, if you earn 10g per hour doing ABML but only 1g is a direct gold reward and the other 9g come from selling the rest of your loot on the tp, you end up paying 1.35g in fees and taxes, so it bascially acts as a gold sink.

Put another way, while AB/ML is great for farming gold for the minority who does it frequently, it decreases the total gold in the economy: those with gold are exchanging it to the farmers (in exchange for mats), and 15% of that gold is sunk with every transaction.

AB/MLers will have more gold, which will make them willing to pay higher prices for luxuries. On the other hand, they compete with each other to sell identical goods, dropping the prices on staples such as ecto. And, importantly, since this less gold in circulation, there’s less gold to spend on staples & luxuries, putting downward pressure on the economy.

Putting it altogether, there’s not really any simple narrative to explain what’s going on — there are multiple dimensions to the GW2 economy, not just one.

All MMOs have the same inherent problem: the more people play, the more stuff they accumulate, the more stuff they want, and the more stuff they can afford. New players enter and feel that they ought to have access to the same stuff.

The big advantages to GW2 are that ‘standard’ L80 gear is cheap (you can afford about an exotic every day or two from just dailies) and the TP drains a lot of gold, so prices aren’t running away.

The big disadvantage is that ANet simply can’t release enough new shinies fast enough to satisfy our voracious appetite for stuffy stuff stuff. As a result, some of us will always be getting richer while some of us will be spending past our income.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Drain the currency

Behellagh.1468

I am addicted to pedanticism .

Anet could make money on gold to gem sales. The potential for profit would depend on the percentage of gold sales that would have been cash sales assuming the exchange did not exist and the broader effect of those unconvertible gold sales. I would be willing to bet even money that the percentage would be low, below 20%.

From the value of that share (which likely conforms to the average of $3.88/month) you would deduct box sales that were motivated by the gem exchange, the value of having more skins from the gem store advertised in-game, and the value of the gem to gold exchange.

I would be very surprised if the gem store weren’t more profitable with the gold to gem exchange than without.

Well the truth is the exchange is there not to let players buy gems with gold but sell gem for gold as a way to thwart gold sellers. But to prevent the game from creating gold out of nothing, the other side of the exchange, the side that buys gems with gold was created. Toss in an additional gold sink for buying or selling and it’s practically perfect in it’s functionality.

RIP City of Heroes

Drain the currency

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

It could be made even better by allowing competition between vendors who buy your junk.
Currently every vendor in the game buys your junk at the same price all the time, and the vendors never run out of money.
If some competition was applied such that the price vendors gave you for your junk was based on how much junk they have already bought today players would then have to shop around for which vendor would give them the best prices.
Could make this attractive by making vendors in remote places offering much more for junk than those in busy cities.
By daily making the prices variable Anet can exactly control the rate of gold supply into the game.

Drain the currency

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Well the truth is the exchange is there not to let players buy gems with gold but sell gem for gold as a way to thwart gold sellers. But to prevent the game from creating gold out of nothing, the other side of the exchange, the side that buys gems with gold was created. Toss in an additional gold sink for buying or selling and it’s practically perfect in it’s functionality.

I think you’re right but I’d also add that it enables them to honestly say that you can get everything in the game with gold and therefore don’t have to pay any more money beyond the price of the game itself if you don’t want to.

Which is useful marketing for people (like me) who may be wary of games with microtransactions. (And also useful in practice because whilst I doubt anyone could realistically buy everything in the gem store with gold it means the option is always there for individual items, if something isn’t worth paying real money for it may still be worth the cost in gold.)

It could be made even better by allowing competition between vendors who buy your junk.
Currently every vendor in the game buys your junk at the same price all the time, and the vendors never run out of money.
If some competition was applied such that the price vendors gave you for your junk was based on how much junk they have already bought today players would then have to shop around for which vendor would give them the best prices.
Could make this attractive by making vendors in remote places offering much more for junk than those in busy cities.
By daily making the prices variable Anet can exactly control the rate of gold supply into the game.

It’s an interesting idea and I believe some other games have done something similar, but with crafting materials – they’re worth more the further away you are from the location they’re found. So in GW2 maybe copper would sell for more in Dragon’s Stand or Cursed Shore than in a starter zone, but people in the cities would pay more for mithril.

The problem I see with doing it with junk is the vast majority of junk items are worth almost nothing and I can’t see there being enough variation in that to make it worthwhile. If you can get 10c per Chipped Fang where you are, or 20c by going somewhere else are you really going to worry about the difference? Are you going to worry enough to take the time to shop around to find the best rate? Or are you going to decide you could make 10c faster doing almost anything else, sell them where you are and carry on? Even if you’ve got 100 of them that’s still only a difference of 1 silver. You’d need stacks of them to make a significant difference.

The other problem is waypoints and asura gates. If you did want to take the time to shop around for the best price on your junk you’d just need to use waypoints close to likely merchants, and then harvest a node or two while you’re there to cover the cost of waypointing. The games where I have seen something like this done don’t have any kind of fast travel so it’s an actual trade-off for players to either spend the time travelling and get a better price or sell quickly for less.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Drain the currency

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The only people who would even bother with that are people who currently have problem generating gold. People who are already able to generate gold will not waste their time with that. You would need to have some one very dedicated to making gold but still somehow unable to make gold using existing methods to bother doing this.

Daily prices also means daily extra dev work. This game has a lot of junk items.

Drain the currency

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Also, farming is much more efficient if one gathers materials and sells them on the TP — incurring the 15% gold sink — as opposed to performing activities that are faucets. When I farm, more gold comes out of the economy than is created from nothing.

Drain the currency

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Depends a lot of what you are farming.
Lots of players do the AB Tarir meta event which gives lots of loot, but most of that loot is greens and blues of which about half wont sell on the TP immediately so you have to list them and pay the 5% listing fee, or try salvaging them which usually doesnt yeild much thats sellable, so most goes to the vendors.
Most people wouldnt indeed bother with shopping around for better prices but by making the prices variable its easier to control the gold inflow into the game.
Most people dont know or care what they get for their junk items as long as they get something, and arnt likley to notice that on differant days they are getting differant prices for the same junk items.
It does help people who have trouble making gold to get ahead by shopping around.

Drain the currency

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Are people actually not salvaging greens and blues? If they’re just vending the stuff, that would indeed be a faucet. I’m still salvaging everything (except the 4 I hold onto for the next Mystic Forger Daily).

Drain the currency

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Depends a lot of what you are farming.
Lots of players do the AB Tarir meta event which gives lots of loot, but most of that loot is greens and blues of which about half wont sell on the TP immediately so you have to list them and pay the 5% listing fee, or try salvaging them which usually doesnt yeild much thats sellable, so most goes to the vendors.

You’d usually salvage during multiloot, because there isn’t always a vendor available close by, and vendoring greens/blues would slow you down significantly (they fill your inventory way too fast).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Drain the currency

Psientist.6437

Also, farming is much more efficient if one gathers materials and sells them on the TP — incurring the 15% gold sink — as opposed to performing activities that are faucets. When I farm, more gold comes out of the economy than is created from nothing.

I can stop whenever I want.

Farming is efficient, but stable prices on the TP indicate it is not common. If farming and selling mats were the most common way to earn gold then we would see persistent deflation. For every one player earning 10 gold/hour, there are dozens if not hundreds of players doing daily rewards; players whose income is mostly new gold.

I am not arguing against the exchange, but that the exchange is just as good at moving new gold from a player’s wallet and into circulation as any other recipe or production goal. Depending on player demographics, it may even be a more common production goal than ascended gear.

Finn the human