Drakes on a Plain

Drakes on a Plain

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Anyone remember this quest from GW1?

I won’t spoil it except to say that the reward was fruit based, hilarious and basically unusable, the dialogue was campy, and it was every bit as goofy as you’d think.

It took place while trying to stop Abaddon from basically unmaking the universe.

In Nightfall, the player and his cohorts fought and defeated a god. This is serious business, and yet, there was still time for humor and laughter, heck even cute repartee between the various heroes.

Has GW2 lost this? Sure, we’re fighting Dragons, but Zhaitan was taken down by cannons on a blimp, and I’m sure some Asura is going to discover the alchemical recipe for Roundup. I’m not sure if the writers for GW2 are an entirely different team, but in the years that we’ve all been playing the sequel, I at least feel like the game’s tone is just entirely too serious.

Even Halloween and Wintersday celebrations take on this dark and menacing tone, and rather than having fun, we’re ALWAYS having to save somebody. I guess we can blame the influence of Chris Nolan and the new Batman movies, everyone is going dark and moody lately.

Heck this even affects the personalities of both Iconic teams. The first one feels like the Young and the Restless, Tyria version, the second one feels like I’m watching Party of Five or an afterschool special. There’s just no fun in these characters, and yet, I feel like the threats in GW2 are much less “impending doom” than Nightfall or even Factions.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Play through the personal story as either Order of Whispers or Durmand Priory and there is much fun to be had with Tybalt and his “lovely apples” or Sieran’s antics. Many quests that involve skritt are also pretty funny.

There is quite a bit of stuff to make you chuckle, but there is more “heavy” story now than back in GW1, so it might not feel like it that much.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

It’s gone a little too game of thrones for sure.
Which is a pity, no one should be imitating that dreck.

You kind of need some tension though or what’s the point of doing anything (story wise)?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

YES! Loved the Drakes on a Plain quest

So much humour in GW1. I’d love to see some more of that come through in GW2.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Durian.5419

Durian.5419

The city of Tarir is the last fortification of an ancient magical race, besieged by the very jungle it resides in. Head out the west gate and help a skritt prepare a feast fit for her Shiny King.

Takkek Twicechosen, bone-collecting ranger of Plague[SICK]

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I, for one, think the event with Lord Faren in verdant Brink is hilarious.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Nobles crash site is hilarious, and also that part of the mission where you try to find the disks that Taimi placed around Auric Basin. The recordings REALLY made me laugh, I replayed the episode just for that, oh my

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I, for one, think the event with Lord Faren in verdant Brink is hilarious.

Best event in HoT for sure. Loved it in beta, I was looking forward to rerunning post launch.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

After all, Koss is Koss! He’s unique. Who else would you expect to find dancing while waiting to be rescued? We’d need to wait a thousand years to find another like him, instead of a mere couple of centuries.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ah memories. I think I have that item somewhere still. I remember taking one look at it and falling out of my chair laughing.

and just for luls:
“Enough is enough! I have had it with these Balthazar-blasted drakes on this Balthazar-blasted plain!”

<3 Koss

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Anyone remember this quest from GW1?

I won’t spoil it except to say that the reward was fruit based, hilarious and basically unusable, the dialogue was campy, and it was every bit as goofy as you’d think.

It took place while trying to stop Abaddon from basically unmaking the universe.

In Nightfall, the player and his cohorts fought and defeated a god. This is serious business, and yet, there was still time for humor and laughter, heck even cute repartee between the various heroes.

Has GW2 lost this? Sure, we’re fighting Dragons, but Zhaitan was taken down by cannons on a blimp, and I’m sure some Asura is going to discover the alchemical recipe for Roundup. I’m not sure if the writers for GW2 are an entirely different team, but in the years that we’ve all been playing the sequel, I at least feel like the game’s tone is just entirely too serious.

Even Halloween and Wintersday celebrations take on this dark and menacing tone, and rather than having fun, we’re ALWAYS having to save somebody. I guess we can blame the influence of Chris Nolan and the new Batman movies, everyone is going dark and moody lately.

Heck this even affects the personalities of both Iconic teams. The first one feels like the Young and the Restless, Tyria version, the second one feels like I’m watching Party of Five or an afterschool special. There’s just no fun in these characters, and yet, I feel like the threats in GW2 are much less “impending doom” than Nightfall or even Factions.

The way I see it most humor in GW1 was smart, clever and you had to be a bit above your average player nowdays to grasp and enjoy.

GW2’s humor is too childish – as are some of its other themes – and on top of that there’s no subtlety – it’s all “in your face haha” – just like other elements are also very in your face.

I agree that the NPC cohorts – both DE and DE 2.0 are very lackluster, unimaginative and basically a drag to have along with you.
For me personally they ruin immersion – none of them represent people I would like to have fighting by my side if I needed or wanted a team.

The threats feel less because there’s little sense of impending doom – there’s not much atmosphere or build-up.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

Savage Norn

You are deep into the jungle, in enemy territory, and find a friggin Norn that came here to cuddle the Mordrems! I mean cmon xD

I don’ t know how serious/funny was GW1, but personally i never found a lack of humor in this game, especially if Asuras are around.

Like the Rata Novus lane “Activate firewall”. Oh gawd.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You are deep into the jungle, in enemy territory, and find a friggin Norn that came here to cuddle the Mordrems! I mean cmon xD

Oh! I saw this one on youtube (haven’t had a chance to play HoT personally yet), and couldn’t hold back the laugh. Made my coworkers curious, so I had to play it for them as well, which made all of them laugh too. It was awesome.

I can’t wait to get to this part on my own character.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Let’s not forget the Black Moa quests in Guild Wars 1.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I don’t think GW2 has lost it’s humour.

Has the story gone a little dark? Absolutely, but the jungle and the HoT storyline are littered with humour and references all over, just as core tyria is

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Let’s not forget the Black Moa quests in Guild Wars 1.

There’s a nod to that in one of the HoT maps

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

compared to gw1 the humor in this game is obvious, immature and kittened. it has probably about the same amount of humor if not more but it’s quality has sunken so far it’s close to the planet’s core. it’s like fry and laurie vs. spongebob.
there was not one single moment in the entire game i found anyhow funny whatsoever. although i imagine a 6 year old might find many things hilarious.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Drakes on a Plain

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

compared to gw1 the humor in this game is obvious, immature and kittened. it has probably about the same amount of humor if not more but it’s quality has sunken so far it’s close to the planet’s core. it’s like fry and laurie vs. spongebob.
there was not one single moment in the entire game i found anyhow funny whatsoever. although i imagine a 6 year old might find many things hilarious.

Nehdukah: “And it pecked one of her eyes right out of her skull. Terrible! I will have nightmares of the horrible sight for years to come. She was so grateful to have survived that she gave me two of the eggs from the nest.”
Chitundu: “Tore out her eye? I bet she didn’t see that coming. Ha! I mean, that’s terrible. Where are these eggs now?”

… maybe i am cherry picking, but it does not look so brilliant as you say. Care to give better examples?

(edited by hennrick.4623)