[Dream]Monk or Ritualist and other changes.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crab Fear.1624

Crab Fear.1624

If end game content is only to become more challenging with future releases from this game, why not consider a focused healer in the game?

Like, do it with a release of tengu as a playable race…since they had a connection with Master Togo via The Tengu Accords and Mehnlo studied at Shing Jea Monastery so he knew Master Togo….

I’m dreaming but I thought i would share.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can already heal a ton with a druid or ele spec’d out appropriately. For example, I’m not all that good at it and I can keep a team of 5 alive through the poison at Tom in the uncategorized fractal. I imagine skilled players can do even more healing.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Aermis.9148

Aermis.9148

RITUALIST! YES! Spirit bomber! I miss that so much! Would be amazing here

Crab Fear.1624

You can already heal a ton with a druid or ele spec’d out appropriately. For example, I’m not all that good at it and I can keep a team of 5 alive through the poison at Tom in the uncategorized fractal. I imagine skilled players can do even more healing.

Also make rangers, rangers again and ele’,s eles again…not healers LOL

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Rangers are already rangers and eles are already eles. They aren’t the ones you remember from GW1 because the combat is different in this game. This game doesn’t need a dedicated healer, but if that’s what you want to play, you can do so with just about any class (although, some do it better than others).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Crab Fear.1624

Rangers are already rangers and eles are already eles. They aren’t the ones you remember from GW1 because the combat is different in this game. This game doesn’t need a dedicated healer, but if that’s what you want to play, you can do so with just about any class (although, some do it better than others).

I could argue with you all day…but it would be futile. So I will not. That’s your opinion, I respect it. But this is my dream LOL…

Now…
I also think the Smite concept was awesome but under developed or over exploited. This trait line would allow monks to solo play.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If end game content is only to become more challenging with future releases from this game, why not consider a focused healer in the game?

Like, do it with a release of tengu as a playable race…since they had a connection with Master Togo via The Tengu Accords and Mehnlo studied at Shing Jea Monastery so he knew Master Togo….

What exactly would this bring to the game outside of nostalgia for only a portion of the players? Because I don’t see an advantage to it, I really don’t.

As for dedicated healers, on top of druid and ele, a full minstrels mesmer/chrono running restorative mantras can also pump out ridiculous levels of healing, and can also trait for distortion share to boot, not to mention ventari rev. Its not like there is a lack of viable healing builds in GW2.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Revenants are essentially ritualists, the pvp title is even called Champion Ritualist.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Crab Fear.1624

What exactly would this bring to the game outside of nostalgia for only a portion of the players? Because I don’t see an advantage to it, I really don’t.

As for dedicated healers, on top of druid and ele, a full minstrels mesmer/chrono running restorative mantras can also pump out ridiculous levels of healing, and can also trait for distortion share to boot, not to mention ventari rev. Its not like there is a lack of viable healing builds in GW2.

I must add for you,

I do not like the direction that they have taken with the Druid or Tempest.

Crab Fear.1624

Revenants are essentially ritualists, the pvp title is even called Champion Ritualist.

Did you ever play a ritualist? I’ll inform you right now, they are not the same.

Crab Fear.1624

I will expound on my dream. Like most of my dreams, I do not expect much but feel free to share yours. I could sit here all day and think of why it won’t happen, but where does that get me? Probably the same place as being optimistic…BUT..at least i’ll be happy on the way there.

I know that we have at least 2-3 professions that can essentially be dedicated healers.

• 7 of 9 classes have elite specs that seem to almost flow and make sense. The type of evolution you might expect from those classes.
  • I could make points about the Guardian and it’s DH elite…but it can make sense.
  • I would have made the rangers more combative, and given the use of rifles, perhaps even have given them an extra dodge or access to more dodges. Like a scout or something.
  • I would have let Tempest keep the shouts with zero focus on party heals and focus on applying conditional boons like venom share. For example after Shout (A) the next attack fro each ally applies 2 secs of burning and 3 secs of chill. (only an example).
  • Maybe the Dh could have went the healing route, but the route chosen was good for DPS imo so let it be.

OriOri.8724

I must add for you,

I do not like the direction that they have taken with the Druid or Tempest.

And? That doesn’t change that minstrels chrono and ventari rev can still be ridiculous healers. Nor does it refute or answer my question. What would this bring to the game? Nothing.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Nor does it refute or answer my question. What would this bring to the game? Nothing.

Well, it would bring in another healer, expanding the role of guardians through an elite spec (though aren’t there rumours of a purifier elite spec for the next expansion? ah well rumours are rumours), expanding the playstyle of guardians and allowing them to more proficiently play as healers like druids, tempests, chronomancers and ventari revenants.

I don’t think the monk or ritualist should be a profession, not by a long shot, but an alternative playstyle for guardians isn’t ‘nothing’. It’s not anything brand new, especially for guardians (because look at how many guardian abilities heal others), but it’s a little more than ’nothing.

If I had it my way though, I’d rebalance guardian skills to allow them something of a healer role like the above mentioned healers, and focus on future elites creating a brand new direction for guardians.

OriOri.8724

Every class should have multiple ways to play regardless, that’s just good intra class balance. And GW2 is lacking that because they are lacking a solid balance team (for whatever reason. I believe they just aren’t given the resources to do any proper balancing), so again this wouldn’t do anything. We have healers in the game already. And yes, every class needs more ways to play, but that is what elite specs are for.

castlemanic.3198

Every class should have multiple ways to play regardless, that’s just good intra class balance.

I totally agree with you. I don’t think anything I’ve said would disagree with this point.

And GW2 is lacking that because they are lacking a solid balance team (for whatever reason. I believe they just aren’t given the resources to do any proper balancing), so again this wouldn’t do anything.

That’s why I suggested rebalancing already present guardian skills to allow them to have good healer options. I agree with your base idea of not needing to add monk or ritualist.

We have healers in the game already. And yes, every class needs more ways to play, but that is what elite specs are for.

Having healers already present doesn’t remove the ability for other classes to have healer options (necromancers are desperate for some sort of support role last I checked), so giving every class the ability to be a healer, whether through the core class or elite specs, is a good idea. Each class would have it’s own way of healing, bringing more variety to healers and the way you could play as one.

Here’s my core arguments for this thread:

There’s no need for a pure healer profession because that would ultimately shift the game towards a state that I don’t think anyone would want (and ultimately, a pure healer profession would have an extremely difficult time playing this game).

There’s no need for monks as an elite spec for guardians because guardians can be rebalanced to have a healer option with abilities that they already have.

A ritualist spec could work if it was for either necromancer or revenant. Maybe not as a healer spec, but there’s enough space within both classes to fit a ritualist elite spec (I’ve seen debates about which profession it should go to if it’s ever introduced, but I’m not here to answer that specific question. Both could work in my opinion).

More healer elites aren’t a bad thing. As long as each profession has the ability to eventually have a valid healer role (along side having atleast one valid role for each of the following: control, tank and non-healing support), I’m good. Each profession should viably be able to fulfill any possible ‘role’.

Crab Fear.1624

And? That doesn’t change that minstrels chrono and ventari rev can still be ridiculous healers. Nor does it refute or answer my question. What would this bring to the game? Nothing.

Here is the post that I made that will hopefully answer your question.

I will expound on my dream. Like most of my dreams, I do not expect much but feel free to share yours. I could sit here all day and think of why it won’t happen, but where does that get me? Probably the same place as being optimistic…BUT..at least i’ll be happy on the way there.

I know that we have at least 2-3 professions that can essentially be dedicated healers.

• 7 of 9 classes have elite specs that seem to almost flow and make sense. The type of evolution you might expect from those classes.
  • I could make points about the Guardian and it’s DH elite…but it can make sense.
  • I would have made the rangers more combative, and given the use of rifles, perhaps even have given them an extra dodge or access to more dodges. Like a scout or something.
  • I would have let Tempest keep the shouts with zero focus on party heals and focus on applying conditional boons like venom share. For example after Shout (A) the next attack fro each ally applies 2 secs of burning and 3 secs of chill. (only an example).
  • Maybe the Dh could have went the healing route, but the route chosen was good for DPS imo so let it be.

Crab Fear.1624

There’s no need for a pure healer profession because that would ultimately shift the game towards a state that I don’t think anyone would want (and ultimately, a pure healer profession would have an extremely difficult time playing this game).

Yes, I agree that a pure healer is not needed during the current evolution of the game.

But, after that point:

• I mentioned that I thought the monk should have a smite trait. I also believe they should have some combat trait, perhaps even a hand to hand trait line. I feel that the rest of the traits would be focused on helas and protections.
  • Some classes have more difficulty than others soloing through ALL game content.
  • Ultimately, what I thought about was removing the idea of the current healers and give them more damage and damage sharing, condi sharing. Perhaps bolster self preservation.
  • Some, perhaps even a lot of people would like to play a profession of this type.

(edited by Crab Fear.1624)

Crab Fear.1624

Quick run down for anyone who wants to discuss but it’s TL;WR.

• I have posted a dream/wish about game changes.
  • I would like to see healing abilities scrapped from Elementalists/Tempests and Ranger/Druids. Replacing those traits with more combative roles and self preservation. Also they could have venom share or condi share abilities, to still have an effective party role. Read my other posts for more details.
  • I would like a dedicated healer monk/ritualist, but I do still want them to have a trait line dedicated to smiting or something like hand to hand combat.
  • I mentioned the Tengu as a sort of origins, and this could be a development for as to why the Monks now are more like martial art monks. ( worded to avoid religion)
  • Ritualist. Just bring it back, no changes.

castlemanic.3198

Yes, I agree that a pure healer is not needed during the current evolution of the game.

Alright, cool

But, after that point:

• I mentioned that I thought the monk should have a smite trait. I also believe they should have some combat trait, perhaps even a hand to hand trait line. I feel that the rest of the traits would be focused on helas and protections.

There’s nothing that a new profession can offer that current professions can’t already offer.

If you’re looking at the Guild Wars monk, that whole profession has been merged into the guardian. It’s done. It can’t be brought back. Especially because the guardian uses the magic of monks from Guild Wars.

A hand to hand combat style also doesn’t fit with the current weapon skills style of combat that GW2 has. Unfortunately it’s not going to happen.

• Some classes have more difficulty than others soloing through ALL game content.

I have one of each class, so far I’ve not experienced any of that.

• Ultimately, what I thought about was removing the idea of the current healers and give them more damage and damage sharing, condi sharing. Perhaps bolster self preservation.

Why? What would this do other than ruin some peoples playstyles? I see nothing wrong with the way healers are currently in this game and in fact encourage something along those lines for every profession.

• Some, perhaps even a lot of people would like to play a profession of this type.

A healing profession that uses light based abilities? Guardians could be rebalanced to fulfill that role. A healing light armour profession? Tempests. A profession that does hand to hand combat? Daredevil elite spec for thieves. Combining all three? Not going to happen unfortunately, specifically because there are other professions capable of doing those things individually.

castlemanic.3198

• I have posted a dream/wish about game changes.

And we’re free to tell you why they won’t happen.

• I would like to see healing abilities scrapped from Elementalists/Tempests and Ranger/Druids. Replacing those traits with more combative roles and self preservation. Also they could have venom share or condi share abilities, to still have an effective party role. Read my other posts for more details.

Again, why? What does this accomplish apart from ruining other people’s experiences?

• I would like a dedicated healer monk/ritualist, but I do still want them to have a trait line dedicated to smiting or something like hand to hand combat.

Again, it’s not going to happen because of the guardian and daredevil elite spec covering all that ground.

• I mentioned the Tengu as a sort of origins, and this could be a development for as to why the Monks now are more like martial art monks. ( worded to avoid religion)

While we don’t have any lore on what’s happening with the tengu, but even if this lore justification were to come through, it isn’t enough to entirely change the structure of combat as designed to allow for a single profession to have hand to hand combat.

• Ritualist. Just bring it back, no changes.

How? Ritualists are essentially covered by a bunch of classes:

Revenants use mist magic.
Necromancers can summon and commune with spirits lorewise.
Necromancers have minions that they can summon that stay by their side.
Mesmers have temporary summons that utilise a single skill.
Guardians have summonable spirit weapons and an active skill available for those weapons to use.
Guardians have direct heals
Elementalists have conjured bundles that can be used by both elementalists and whoever picks up the bundles left on the ground by them.
Elementalists use lightning spells.
Rangers have permanent pets.
Rangers also summon temporary immobile spirits that provide benefits to nearby allies AND have an additional skill that can be activated that destroys those spirits.
Engineers have turrets that emulate what ritualist spirits did. In fact, engineer turrets were what the original idea of ritualists was, it was modified to be more relevant to the pure fantasy world of Guild Wars.

The only way ritualists could make it to GW2 would be to become an elite spec for either necromancer or revenant.

And again, like the monk, ritualists cannot be imported wholesale as a new profession because other professions cover ALL the aspects that ritualists could have brought over. There would be nothing that would make them stand out against other professions, thus leaving no ability for them to be a part of GW2 apart from perhaps being an elite spec for one of the current professions.

Unless you can think of a way of importing ritualists and monks that makes them entirely new and not something covered by any other profession OR elite spec, it won’t happen. Also, if you managed to do that, they would no longer be ritualists and monks.

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

Yes rangers and eles again plz! Let healers be a new class not forced on classes that don’t want it

castlemanic.3198

Yes rangers and eles again plz! Let healers be a new class not forced on classes that don’t want it

How is it forced? They’re elite specs. You can’t even access them without buying HoT. There’s also the 250 hero points you need to acquire to even spend them on the elite spec.

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

Have you played ele in pvp without getting flamed for not playing support. Wish Tempest was given more damage with self sustain but no team heals
They are forced as the elite specs are superior to core

castlemanic.3198

Have you played ele in pvp without getting flamed for not playing support.

That’s an attitude problem, NOT an elementalist issue. Toxicity within online gaming has ALWAYS been an issue and ALL game developers, including ArenaNet, need to deal with it a lot better than they currently do.

They are forced as the elite specs are superior to core

That’s still not forced. That makes it at it’s worst, ‘encouraged’, but it’s not forced. Here’s why: you can still play the game without using elite specs.

If it was forced, your third spec line would be locked to the elite spec, with you being literally unable to change the third spec. You still have the freedom of using the core class without using the elite spec. You can still play however you wish. This is not forcing. Other players treating you like crap because you don’t use an elite spec is purely, PURELY, an elitist problem, an attitude problem, NOT an issue with the specialisations themselves.

If you keep coming across people demanding that you play tempest when you don’t want to, that’s their problem. If they flame you and actively ruin your experience, report them.

But by no definition, purely from the game mechanics view, is it forced. It’s optional, period.

Crab Fear.1624

* I have posted a dream/wish about game changes.

And we’re free to tell you why they won’t (should be likely won’t or might not) happen.

Again, why? What does this accomplish apart from ruining other people’s experiences?

• Will everyone’s experience be ruined? There are elements in the game that ruin my experience yet they exist.

* I would like a dedicated healer monk/ritualist, but I do still want them to have a trait line dedicated to smiting or something like hand to hand combat.

Again, it’s not going to happen because of the guardian and daredevil elite spec covering all that ground.

• I literally mean Hand-to Hand, on the weapon slots. Perhaps new weapons specific.*

* I mentioned the Tengu as a sort of origins, and this could be a development for as to why the Monks now are more like martial art monks. ( worded to avoid religion)

While we don’t have any lore on what’s happening with the tengu, but even if this lore justification were to come through, it isn’t enough to entirely change the structure of combat as designed to allow for a single profession to have hand to hand combat.

• The structure of combat won’t have to change. Hand to Hand skills in the weapon slots is not inconceivable with the variety of skills we already find there. The mechanics are already available*

* Ritualist. Just bring it back, no changes.

How? Ritualists are essentially covered by a bunch of classes:

• At this point you made a lot of good points about mostly the non-healing capabilities of classes, which I agree with their place in the game and want THOSE traits and play styles developed.*

The only way ritualists could make it to GW2 would be to become an elite spec for either necromancer or revenant.

• I do not think this is the only way

castlemanic.3198

There are better ways of using quotes.

(should be likely won’t or might not)

Won’t. That’s the truth.

• Will everyone’s experience be ruined? There are elements in the game that ruin my experience yet they exist.

How… How is this an argument? How does this lead to civil discourse? Why do you have the attitude of “if my thing is ruined, theirs should be too”? How is that beneficial to you? How does this attitude benefit your argument?

Lemme also dive into why changing tempest and druid would never happen. (yes, never)

Simply, devs have spent their resources designing, creating, developing, perfecting and polishing those two classes to have healer roles. Tempests design actually got improved healing ability after one of the beta weekends. The designers, from the bottom up, made tempests and druids able, capable healers for their raids. They are not going to spend all their resources changing that when, instead, they can just make another elite spec that’s not healing focused. I’m pretty positive that they’re working on another elite spec for every profession right now. That was the design of elite specs, to be able to choose between them for the playstyle that you want. It’s why you’re only able to equip elite specs in the third spec line, and that’s where future elite specs will go too. There are people who like tempest and druids, and I’m one of them. Why ruin our experience when, if you wait, you can have a non healing elite spec that could be everything you want out of an elementalist or druid spec? What goal does removing and replacing tempest and druid accomplish other than ruining other peoples experiences?

• I literally mean Hand-to Hand, on the weapon slots. Perhaps new weapons specific.*

I knew what you meant, I’m telling you it won’t happen simply because of the way that the whole game was designed. All weapon slot skills gain abilities depending on the weapon chosen. How does that work with hand to hand? Also, when weapons are removed, there are no abilities. If they wanted, they could have designed hand to hand capabilities into the game, but they didn’t.

Fist weapons? Maybe. But it’s the level of unlikely that even I wouldn’t hope for it (and I love the idea of fist weapons).

• The structure of combat won’t have to change. Hand to Hand skills in the weapon slots is not inconceivable with the variety of skills we already find there. The mechanics are already available*

See above. Mechanics are not already in place, because if they were, they would have utilised them already. Plus, without adding fist weapons, tell me exactly how players should make up the stat difference between them using weapons and them not using weapons.

• At this point you made a lot of good points about mostly the non-healing capabilities of classes, which I agree with their place in the game and want THOSE traits and play styles developed.*

How do you want those traits and playstyles developed? Elite specs? Elite specs are for adding in completely new ideas to already existing classes (I would argue that the tempest utterly failed to do that, but every other elite spec succeeded). So, without utilising elite specs, how would you develop the abilities of those traits and playstyles?

• I do not think this is the only way

Explain how. You keep hammering in on the point that these things could totally work, man. If you truly believe that they could, explain how you would implement it so that you can help us understand you vision. If it fits but has flaws, we can help you work around those. If it can’t fit, we’ll explain why.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Paragon is the least represented GW1 class in the entire game

Only represented by "Virtue of Justice " which is just a slightly modified “Anthem of Flame” from Gw1.

Difficulty is achieved by exceeding the reasonable limits a single character can accomplish on their own and forcing that character to rely on others to survive. So I can understand wanting more viable healers as I think every class should have a viable build for every role if the old play how you like in GW1 is still to hold. But that obviously didn’t happen but if you want an additional primary healer then it should be Paragon not monk or ritualist.

Paragons for those who remember trigger effects by their own party members completing an action. So for instance if a Paragon casts a heal the party will get a buff and that heal would only happen when the party members get hit, cast, strike, or, something. If your afk standing still with paragon support you get nothing but the characters doing something will get greater results than the other blanket support classes.

castlemanic.3198

Only represented by "Virtue of Justice " which is just a slightly modified “Anthem of Flame” from Gw1.

Not exactly true, guardians are a mix of paragon and monk from Guild Wars. This is, admittedly, a more visual “plate armour with magic and shouting” than any abilities transferred as you discuss below.

Paragons for those who remember trigger effects by their own party members completing an action. So for instance if a Paragon casts a heal the party will get a buff and that heal would only happen when the party members get hit, cast, strike, or, something. If your afk standing still with paragon support you get nothing but the characters doing something will get greater results than the other blanket support classes.

I don’t believe that would work, it would require a variety of effects to be designed and triggered upon skill use or whatever scenario you can imagine. The effects that have been released in the game have all been passive. By passive, I mean they’re all fire and release. Dervish kinda has the same issue. It’s infinitely more likely than monk or ritualist, but I’m not sure that it would really work with the current GW2 combat and effects/boons/conditions system. It might be possible as an elite spec by changing the mechanics of virtues into something else. But other than that I don’t see how. Maybe you can enlighten us.

(edited by castlemanic.3198)

Crab Fear.1624

There are better ways of using quotes.

(should be likely won’t or might not)

Won’t. That’s the truth.

How… How is this an argument? How does this lead to civil discourse? Why do you have the attitude of “if my thing is ruined, theirs should be too”? How is that beneficial to you? How does this attitude benefit your argument?

THIS

• Present opinions as opinions, not facts: Not “This is the only possible change” or “Your idea will not work” but “This is my idea” or “I believe {alternative suggestion} would be the better because {reasons}.”

That came from the how to give good feedback. I quoted Gaile Gray.

Crab Fear.1624

How could monk or ritualist work?
The designers have already made Druid and Tempest from the ground up.
Guards do a lot of healing. The game is good enough.

I believe we have all seen updates to the game, where skill functions have changed rather drastically.

I’ll start with the Tempest.

• Skills that previously applied regeneration boons or healing to allies now apply reflection or condi sharing ( similar to venom share.) Example: For all nearby allies the next time they would take lethal damage, it is negated and their attacker is set afire for x seconds. (this effect last for x seconds)
  • Reflective and deflective skills are reasonable in my mind for eles because of their access to the elements and how they already use them.
  • Speed and might sharing are also reasonable.
  • Essentially I would like an Elementalist that can share the elements, and help allies apply more fire, chill, air stun/daze, knockback.

Druids

• The spirits are good. I find issues with Celestial mode, that would require a lot more thought considering it’s a drastic step away from what I think of when I imagine a Ranger
  • Instead of celestial avatar, I would have introduced a commando survival set, but this might kill the hand to hand combat monk, also rifle use.
  • Question, where did the naming choice of this elite specialization come from?
  • According to wikipedia they were religious and made sacrifices.

Now if these were what the professions were in game, then perhaps the healer could work.

What would the healer do? Traits:

• Healing: Bolsters the user’s outgoing healing by a factor of x. The traits will have options that heal in addition to presence of certain boons or conditions. (a lot more options in trait lines)
  • Protection: Trait lines that helps skill or the user break stuns and stun break allies, provides reflection and protection.
  • Boons: Apply boons to allies for certain conditions or skill usage, increase already active boons on allies, even if not originating from healer.
  • Martial: Strengthen use of Mace, Staff, or Fist weapons. Skills like counters and riposte, and stuns.
  • Smite: Allows for user to reflect incoming conditions to originating caster. When you take stun, your foes does too. ect.

The times of activation and cooldowns would be worked accordingly but….that’s the kind of idea I had.
The traits lines would have a lot more option, and skill slots as well, this is just a vague idea.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Not exactly true, guardians are a mix of paragon and monk from Guild Wars. This is, admittedly, a more visual “plate armour with magic and shouting” than any abilities transferred as you discuss below.

I don’t believe that would work, it would require a variety of effects to be designed and triggered upon skill use or whatever scenario you can imagine. The effects that have been released in the game have all been passive. By passive, I mean they’re all fire and release. Dervish kinda has the same issue. It’s infinitely more likely than monk or ritualist, but I’m not sure that it would really work with the current GW2 combat and effects/boons/conditions system. It might be possible as an elite spec by changing the mechanics of virtues into something else. But other than that I don’t see how. Maybe you can enlighten us.

I just said only one skill reflects the mechanic and thus the mechanic exists already. When a guardian activates virtue of justice all party member in earshot will inflict burning to the enemy with their next attack. It won’t trigger and nothing will happen unless the other players take action they have to activate a skill first since in this game even basic attacks are skills. So whenever they decide to activate that skill then and only then will the guardians effect come into action and thus burning gets added to their strike. Why it’s only limited to that I don’t know but its an entire mechanic reliant on other players for a single skill.

As an elite or a class it would be simple with weapon, heal, utility, and elite categories. We already have Runes of the Mad King that summon a flock of crows when an elite is activated so what if that elite was an elite of its own and elite that said all parties within earshot summon a flock of crows to attack their target with their next elite usage for the next 10sec.

Additional effects on skill usage is already in the game and it worked fine for GW1. TC is listing two of the three gw1 support classes completely ignoring the poor paragon.

castlemanic.3198

Right, NOW we can have a discussion.

How could monk or ritualist work?
The designers have already made Druid and Tempest from the ground up.
Guards do a lot of healing. The game is good enough.

This is not in line with the rest of your post.

I believe we have all seen updates to the game, where skill functions have changed rather drastically.

I’ll start with the Tempest.

• Skills that previously applied regeneration boons or healing to allies now apply reflection or condi sharing ( similar to venom share.) Example: For all nearby allies the next time they would take lethal damage, it is negated and their attacker is set afire for x seconds. (this effect last for x seconds)
  • Reflective and deflective skills are reasonable in my mind for eles because of their access to the elements and how they already use them.
  • Speed and might sharing are also reasonable.
  • Essentially I would like an Elementalist that can share the elements, and help allies apply more fire, chill, air stun/daze, knockback.

Druids

• The spirits are good. I find issues with Celestial mode, that would require a lot more thought considering it’s a drastic step away from what I think of when I imagine a Ranger
  • Instead of celestial avatar, I would have introduced a commando survival set, but this might kill the hand to hand combat monk, also rifle use.

2 things. It’s apparent you desperately want to kill the healer role for anything that stands in the way of your monk idea.

Secondly, there’s also the spec lines that you’d have to alter. You can’t just change skills without also changing the associated traits that affect those skills and provide the healing bonuses to those classes.

Can you present your idea without changing a single thing from existing classes?

• Question, where did the naming choice of this elite specialization come from?
  • According to wikipedia they were religious and made sacrifices.

Real life druids were religious and made sacrifices. Fantasy druids (I think) started with dungeons and dragons. Ever since dungeons and dragons, there have been plenty of druids in many, many fantasy games. Druids in fantasy have always had a connection to nature. As for Guild Wars 2, well, it started with the druids in Guild Wars. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Druid

So that’s where the name came from and it’s association with nature.

Now if these were what the professions were in game, then perhaps the healer could work.

You should not need to change what already exists in game so drastically to enable your healer profession into the game. This is a big flaw.

(part 1)

castlemanic.3198

What would the healer do? Traits:

I’m confused, are the following traits or specialisations?

If you could clarify, that would be great.

• Healing: Bolsters the user’s outgoing healing by a factor of x. The traits will have options that heal in addition to presence of certain boons or conditions. (a lot more options in trait lines)

This isn’t enough as a specialisation, it would need to do a lot more than just improve healing ability. It’s a bit much as a trait.

• Protection: Trait lines that helps skill or the user break stuns and stun break allies, provides reflection and protection.

This seems to be a specialisation, there isn’t enough here to warrant it as it’s own unique specialisation. As above, it would need to do a lot more than simply this.

• Boons: Apply boons to allies for certain conditions or skill usage, increase already active boons on allies, even if not originating from healer.

This is too little for a specialisation and too much for a single trait.

• Martial: Strengthen use of Mace, Staff, or Fist weapons. Skills like counters and riposte, and stuns.

This does not seem like a trait or specialisation, more like a function of the class as a whole. As presented, this isn’t nearly enough info or enough weapons for the class.

• Smite: Allows for user to reflect incoming conditions to originating caster. When you take stun, your foes does too. ect.

This is a trait that already exists. It’s called mirror of anguish , it only works for the stuns but not for the conditions thing. Copying conditions onto an enemy was already an idea for embrace the darkness. but it was dropped (for what I assume was balance reasons).

The times of activation and cooldowns would be worked accordingly but….that’s the kind of idea I had.
The traits lines would have a lot more option, and skill slots as well, this is just a vague idea.

Here’s the flaw with your traitlines. Let’s take a look at a single traitline. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zeal

It, generally, deals with damage. It increases damage in a bunch of vastly different ways. Some focus on weapons, others with symbols and aegis. One trait even heals guardians that uses greatswords AND reduces the skill cooldown of every greatsword weapon.

It’s not enough to broadly state “yeah this traitline deals with healing”, because every profession has a specialisation that deals with healing. What makes it unique.

Also, specialisations alone aren’t enough. What’s the class mechanic going to be like?

Here’s an idea: the profession ‘mechanic’ is hand-to-hand combat. F1 is a skill that swaps you from using your weapon to using hand-to-hand skills, the weapon is stowed as if you were out of combat and you use your hands instead. Each weapon changes the hand-to-hand skills that you use. If you had a mace that was “swing, dealing vulnerability”, the hand to hand would be “strike your palm into their chest, making them vulnerable” (except, of course, deal different damage, different conditions, not copy/repeat). F2 is a healing stance that, similarly, changes weapon skills depending on your weapon.

The only thing is, that’s similar to elementalist’s mechanics of ‘swapping attunements’ so it wouldn’t work. The mechanic of the class needs to be vastly different than what other classes do. If you can think of something, go for it.

castlemanic.3198

I just said only one skill reflects the mechanic and thus the mechanic exists already. When a guardian activates virtue of justice all party member in earshot will inflict burning to the enemy with their next attack. It won’t trigger and nothing will happen unless the other players take action they have to activate a skill first since in this game even basic attacks are skills. So whenever they decide to activate that skill then and only then will the guardians effect come into action and thus burning gets added to their strike. Why it’s only limited to that I don’t know but its an entire mechanic reliant on other players for a single skill.

Totally forgot what that virtue did, my bad.

As an elite or a class it would be simple with weapon, heal, utility, and elite categories. We already have Runes of the Mad King that summon a flock of crows when an elite is activated so what if that elite was an elite of its own and elite that said all parties within earshot summon a flock of crows to attack their target with their next elite usage for the next 10sec.

Additional effects on skill usage is already in the game and it worked fine for GW1.

Little wordy but I got the point. Trigger effects like Rune of the Mad King except tied to skills not runes.

My opposition was that I didn’t think it existed, but it clearly does, so there is precedence for it to work, and thus it can work as an elite specialisation.

Never said it didn’t work in Guild Wars.

TC is listing two of the three gw1 support classes completely ignoring the poor paragon.

I think it’s just a matter of the paragon not being as important to the OP as it is to you.

Which is fair, since the OP did create the topic.