Dreamthistle and Molten Weapons alternative

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Saviourslave.6715

Saviourslave.6715

Arenanet, I love you, but please allow us to earn these weapon skins in-game without having to:
A: Resort to black lion key farming by doing the personal story again, and again, and again…
B: Spending a large amount of real-world money just for a chance at getting the skin we want. or…
C: Farming hundreds and hundreds of gold to buy the skins off the trading post

To be frank, I hate the black lion chests. They are a horrible system of rewarding your players (in my opinion). Using gems, gold or actual money just for a chance to get a weapon skin is absurd and not what I think anyone wants to do with their money. I know you rely on the sales of black lion keys to fund the game, but why not get rid of the gambling factor, and allow us to buy the skins straight from the gemstore?

Have a new tab for weapon skins, select the theme then choose the skin I don’t care if it costs 500 gems or 1000 gems, the mere idea that we aren’t gambling with our money, time and effort will see that you get much more profit from this.

We understand that you need to make money, and I’m pretty sure that the majority of people playing this game agree that you deserve it, but please allow us to give it to you in an honest, upfront manner. If I like an item on a menu, or a game in a store, or a car in a dealership, I will pay money for it, but I will not pay money for a mere chance to get it.

The logic is simple, and I don’t doubt Anet’s intelligence, this is no troll post at all. I merely ask for some feedback on why this system is so dominant in the game, that gambling must be used to provide the most awesome rewards, instead of upfront cash payments for what we want?

Posted by: Risuna.9408

Risuna.9408

I completely agree.

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

If I could straight out buy weapon and armor skins and have them in a skin locker similar to the current achievement reward one, I’d be happy to spend time, effort and even out right cash to collect most of them.

As it is, I will never spend real cash on a gambling system like BLC, dislike the hassle of storing and equipping various armor sets in the game and get more and more the feeling that the most optimal way to play this game is to gamble the trading post. Which is not what I want to do with my game time.

Saviourslave.6715

The skins themselves are awesome and I know plenty of people who would buy them with gems if they could. Anet won’t lose money because of people not buying keys anymore, they’ll actually make more money, and nobody would mind in the slightest!!! These skins are some of the best weapon skins and concepts I’ve ever seen, and it’d be a shame if it becomes nearly impossible to obtain one day because of exclusivity and gambling fears…

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Buy gems, convert to gold, and voila!, buy the skin from the TP.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

No. These are optional luxury items. Their rarity is based on the fact that not everyone can afford to get them. It’s currently working as intended.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Antinegative.4872

Antinegative.4872

Another thread about things being too expensive in the guise of RNG complaint. If you don’t want to play lottery then either buy 1700 – 2000 gems and convert to gold, or spend 2-4 days and farm the 80 – 100 gold needed to buy it off the tp. These are great looking skins, so either pay where the money’s due, or work for it, but don’t come on the forum to suggest alternative methods in guise of getting rid of RNG just so you can get them without putting in any effort. It’s an insult to both the developers and to those who worked to get their skins.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

In a single player game, you might spend a lot of time grinding money in order to buy a really cool looking weapon. In GW2 you actually have the option to do just that, as in any other game, if you don’t want to gamble. If a skin were 60g at a vendor, hardly anyone would complain but it seems that if that skin is 60g on the TP then there is some sort of mental block on the part of some of the community.

Saviourslave.6715

I’m not talking about rng concerning the entire game, I’m talking about rng related to my money I’m putting into the game. I’m putting money in the game and hoping I get what I want. That’s gambling. Plain and simple. I can accept rng in game (to a certain degree), but not when it’s related to the money I put in the game. Just because it’s on the tp does not excuse the primary means of obtaining it, it just allows you to deal with it better, which I cannot believe could be accepted as a healthy game or business mechanic.

Posted by: Abyssisis.3971

Abyssisis.3971

I don’t get why there are weapon skins labeled Halloween weapon skins, yet are not obtainable with the halloween event… Thats if I’m not wrong in assuming the only way to get some of those skins is by black lion tickets… lol

Commander Obscura
The Bloody Rain [Rain]
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

The current system yields the max amount of money for Anet I think, it’s pretty clever in every way. About spending your real life money to get the item it’s easy. There is a gem conversion to gold function. If you convert 1000-1200 gems to gold you can easily buy your skin of choice on the TP.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I don’t get why there are weapon skins labeled Halloween weapon skins, yet are not obtainable with the halloween event… Thats if I’m not wrong in assuming the only way to get some of those skins is by black lion tickets… lol

Speaking of Halloween events/items, I played LOTRO over the weekend and acquired this year’s Fall Festival horse for my ‘main’ and last year’s horse for one of my alts. It required playing fall festival quests until I amassed 80 Fall Festival tokens (60 for the new horse, 20 for the old one). In addition to the horses one can spend tokens on assorted Fall Festival clothing (which can be worn in combat) and other event-themed items.

What can you get for 80 pieces of candy corn here?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Ikaros.7812

Ikaros.7812

What can you get for 80 pieces of candy corn here?

13min 20sec sugar rush?

Banana And Cookies [BC]
all is vain

Saviourslave.6715

I do wish the weapon skins could be earned instead of bought as well, but honestly I’ll take anything over Black Lion chest rng. I don’t want to have to resort to gold farming for literally every high quality weapon skin out there, I’d love the feeling actually earning these magnificent skins through gameplay, not repetitive zerg farming or dungeon rushing.

panzer.6034

Just because it’s on the tp does not excuse the primary means of obtaining it, it just allows you to deal with it better, which I cannot believe could be accepted as a healthy game or business mechanic.

Sure it’s a healthy business mechanic. They make money from people who choose to gamble and people who don’t can buy the weapons with in-game money, just like every other RPG ever made.

I do wish the weapon skins could be earned instead of bought as well, but honestly I’ll take anything over Black Lion chest rng. I don’t want to have to resort to gold farming for literally every high quality weapon skin out there, I’d love the feeling actually earning these magnificent skins through gameplay, not repetitive zerg farming or dungeon rushing.

It would be nice if they could find some other in-game way to get some new skins. Dungeons and money seem like the 2 primary ways atm. The RNG boxes will always be there though, since they need the money.

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

These rng box only weapon sets would be acceptable if they were account wide unlocks like the zenith weapons. The current system is really shady.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

No. These are optional luxury items. Their rarity is based on the fact that not everyone can afford to get them. It’s currently working as intended.

No one is suggesting that they’re bugged. What we’re saying is that we don’t like what’s intended, so we don’t particularly care if they’re in accord with that unwelcome intent.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Smooth Penguin.5294

No one is suggesting that they’re bugged. What we’re saying is that we don’t like what’s intended, so we don’t particularly care if they’re in accord with that unwelcome intent.

I never mentioned anything about bugs. The complaint at hand is that people feel they’re entitled to get everything in game. It’s either they want to be able to purchase it directly, or earn it as a reward. There’s nothing wrong with not liking the current system, however, the system is working as it was intended, and is working well.

People who complain don’t understand the reasons why they’re complaining. It stems from the fact that they want these rare, desirable items/skins. It’s not a question of why the item they want is RNG, but rather why they can’t easily obtain it. If these items weren’t so rare and desirable, there’d be no complaints as to why they can’t get it.

For example, take the item Final Rest. Months ago, it was the most talked about staff in game. People were on a quest to find out what event dropped it, and then farm it. Since Anet fixed the drop rate for it from the Shadow Behemoth, it went from hugely desirable, to barely noticed. Why? The drops became so common, it no longer held any value to the masses. People stopped farming it, and moved on. THIS is what happens when you take away rarity, and let an item be more available.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I never mentioned anything about bugs. The complaint at hand is that people feel they’re entitled to get everything in game. It’s either they want to be able to purchase it directly, or earn it as a reward. There’s nothing wrong with not liking the current system, however, the system is working as it was intended, and is working well.

People who complain don’t understand the reasons why they’re complaining. It stems from the fact that they want these rare, desirable items/skins. It’s not a question of why the item they want is RNG, but rather why they can’t easily obtain it. If these items weren’t so rare and desirable, there’d be no complaints as to why they can’t get it.

For example, take the item Final Rest. Months ago, it was the most talked about staff in game. People were on a quest to find out what event dropped it, and then farm it. Since Anet fixed the drop rate for it from the Shadow Behemoth, it went from hugely desirable, to barely noticed. Why? The drops became so common, it no longer held any value to the masses. People stopped farming it, and moved on. THIS is what happens when you take away rarity, and let an item be more available.

The phrase “working as intended” is used in programming circles, this game’s Developers and QA people included, to indicate that an item isn’t a bug.

As for Final Rest, people who want it can actually get it now, yes. I agree. You seem to be under the impression that that’s a bad thing, which I find beyond ridiculous.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Smooth Penguin.5294

The phrase “working as intended” is used in programming circles, this game’s Developers and QA people included, to indicate that an item isn’t a bug.

As for Final Rest, people who want it can actually get it now, yes. I agree. You seem to be under the impression that that’s a bad thing, which I find beyond ridiculous.

1) Working as intended, as in it’s working… as Anet intended it to work.

2) Yes it’s a bad thing. Not many people want Final Rest anymore. That means no one cares about it. Then that also means it’s not worth as much. That leads to the fact that I can’t make money off of it. Also… the “awe” factor is gone.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Earning rare skins in this game barely exists and the only set I can think of is the Fractal one.

This may seem well and good for ANet profit wise, but for us players it’s a big slap in the face, For those who say buy gems and convert to gold, spending such an amount of money for 1 skin isn’t exactly the best idea.

In the end players have to face it, we’re in a game advertised as buy to play but acts like a free to play. Let’s not even forget the Living Stories, with each and every one we get recycled content that in the end doesn’t make any sense, which I’d go far to say it’s almost a cover up to sell new items in the gem store.

Something I really wish to see in GW2 is a way to acquire rare items like GW1 had instead of gambling or grinding for them.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Earning rare skins in this game barely exists and the only set I can think of is the Fractal one.

This may seem well and good for ANet profit wise, but for us players it’s a big slap in the face, For those who say buy gems and convert to gold, spending such an amount of money for 1 skin isn’t exactly the best idea.

In the end players have to face it, we’re in a game advertised as buy to play but acts like a free to play. Let’s not even forget the Living Stories, with each and every one we get recycled content that in the end doesn’t make any sense, which I’d go far to say it’s almost a cover up to sell new items in the gem store.

Something I really wish to see in GW2 is a way to acquire rare items like GW1 had instead of gambling or grinding for them.

Not sure how the current Living Story is recycled. You have existing enemies yes, but also new events and mechanics.

As for GW1, do realize that the rare items there were a grind. When Tormented weapons came out, you had to farm elite level content over and over in order to get enough special Gems to trade for one. Or spam Kamadan for hours, hoping someone would sell your theirs for a low price.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

It’s working as intended but.. It just feels kittenty :/

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Not sure how the current Living Story is recycled. You have existing enemies yes, but also new events and mechanics.

As for GW1, do realize that the rare items there were a grind. When Tormented weapons came out, you had to farm elite level content over and over in order to get enough special Gems to trade for one. Or spam Kamadan for hours, hoping someone would sell your theirs for a low price.

Guess you don’t play this game much.

“New Aetherblade Secret Base found in LA”
“New hidden Aetherblade area found in Gendarran fields”
“Hidden Molten facility found”
“Lady Kasmeer revealed a tower” – Surprise Surprise

Now the new Zergs,

Scarlet’s minions are attacking area “insert name here” and we have to beat them to “reduce the bar”.

The new stuff in Kessex “reduce the bar” to destroy turret (whatever it is, you can tell I didn’t bother much).

And yes in GW1 there was grind, but if I wanted to get an Obsidian Edge I could do FoW till it drops, Eternal Blade from UW, Exclusive weapon skins from certain dungeons and so on.

In contrast to the above GW2 barely has any, Molten Alliance, Zodiac, Aether, Dreamthistle..etc All these can’t be obtained by playing the game. The only option is to open black lion chests or grind something else till you have enough to buy them directly from trade post. The only thing that comes close to GW1 are the Fractal weapon set.

Every MMO has grind, what really matters is the way it’s presented to the player. All I can say is that the GW1 grind was something I loved, it didn’t keep me hooked 7 years for nothing.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Guess you don’t play this game much.

“New Aetherblade Secret Base found in LA”
“New hidden Aetherblade area found in Gendarran fields”
“Hidden Molten facility found”
“Lady Kasmeer revealed a tower” – Surprise Surprise

Now the new Zergs,

Scarlet’s minions are attacking area “insert name here” and we have to beat them to “reduce the bar”.

The new stuff in Kessex “reduce the bar” to destroy turret (whatever it is, you can tell I didn’t bother much).

And yes in GW1 there was grind, but if I wanted to get an Obsidian Edge I could do FoW till it drops, Eternal Blade from UW, Exclusive weapon skins from certain dungeons and so on.

In contrast to the above GW2 barely has any, Molten Alliance, Zodiac, Aether, Dreamthistle..etc All these can’t be obtained by playing the game. The only option is to open black lion chests or grind something else till you have enough to buy them directly from trade post. The only thing that comes close to GW1 are the Fractal weapon set.

Every MMO has grind, what really matters is the way it’s presented to the player. All I can say is that the GW1 grind was something I loved, it didn’t keep me hooked 7 years for nothing.

All the above you mentioned is new content. I think the only gripe you have is that it’s all located within the current map. Your argument should be for new zones, which I would love to see.

As for your desire to have nice skinned weapons, you’re just picking and choosing your arguments, while ignoring the rest of the available content. In GW2, there exists skins you can farm (Fractal), skins you can craft (Infinite Light), and skins from luxury chests (Molten, Jade, etc). And most of them, with the exception of Account Bound skins, can be purchased from other players on the open market. So your main argument becomes “The skins you want aren’t obtainable from farming”.

Saviourslave.6715

Our desire isn’t to just be handed rare weapons and armour cause “Lol we want em kitten ”. No, we just want to be able to work towards our skins with measurable progress. We want to be able to say “I got this much closer to obtaining my molten weapon”. We hate gambling with our money, it’s not healthy, it’s not right. Preferably I would love to be able to either craft or earn the weapons through dungeon tokens, but these BLC claim tickets are just so incredibly rare in the blc’s themselves that the only way to get the weapons you want is to grind gold, or trade gems for gold (And btw that exchange rate is ridiculous). I’m merely asking Anet for a way to obtain these weapons without having to resort to grinding or gambling, but I’m not asking for it to be stupidly easy.

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

Yeah screw poor people how dare they be entitled to the same things as us posh snobs, I’m just waiting for anet to ban poor people who never use the gem store.

/sarcasm

Yeah these RNG boxes are AWFUL, I don’t care if its your best money income it’s a terrible way to treat your player base.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

There is nothing and I mean nothing prestigious about spending real money or farming for gold like a robot for a chance to get skins. RNG in the gem store needs to go. In game it makes sense to an extent. Last month I bought $40/50 worth of gems, not a single one was spent on a black lion key…. You put awesome new armour skins in the store directly, please do so with the weapons.

Gunnar’s Hold

panzer.6034

Yeah screw poor people how dare they be entitled to the same things as us posh snobs, I’m just waiting for anet to ban poor people who never use the gem store.

Maybe “poor people” should play the game and buy the items with gold. No one is forced to buy anything with real money.

Iluzija.1798

Maybe “poor people” should play the game and buy the items with gold. No one is forced to buy anything with real money.

Yeah because mindlessly farming for hours on end for a single item is exactly what I bought this game to do. Im no casual player but zerg farming champs or meta events or dungeons is boring as and anet seem to love nerfing gold generated from these. Look at the champ bag nerf now, why should I even bother?

Also some players actually have lives, school, work, uni, uni and work (I have uni and 2 jobs) and dont have the time to farm queensdale champs, dungeons or whatever zerg fest living world content there is to make any kind of meaningful profit in the time given to them. Oh you could say “buy it after the event” yeah that would be fine and dandy but they seem to like putting up the ticket amount required for the skins by a large amount.

Have some kind of crafting system so people can meaningfully put effort into gathering items towards their skin of choice, and NOT on the level of the stupid candy corn. Don’t force your players to spend rl cash for things, yeah if you want a profit just make the recipe difficult so if people cant be bothered they can gamble all they want and people who dont fall for the rng chest scam also have a chance without spending vast fortunes, make it ascended level or something or even better yet let them out right buy the skins on the gem store.

I dont really care for the skins because once I saw this getting repeated I just decided to completely ignore the fact that these skins exist but I hear lots of complaints from fellow friends and guildies and it sickens me.

Please stop thinking along the lines of “Omg its so rare and only I can have it no one else is allowed it” and think about other players.

(edited by Iluzija.1798)

panzer.6034

Yeah because mindlessly farming for hours on end for a single item is exactly what I bought this game to do. Im no casual player but zerg farming champs or meta events or dungeons is boring as and anet seem to love nerfing gold generated from these. Look at the champ bag nerf now, why should I even bother?

This is a problem with getting gold in the game, not with RNG cash items. Not the same issue.

Also some players actually have lives, school, work, uni, uni and work (I have uni and 2 jobs) and dont have the time to farm queensdale champs, dungeons or whatever zerg fest living world content there is to make any kind of meaningful profit in the time given to them. Oh you could say “buy it after the event” yeah that would be fine and dandy but they seem to like putting up the ticket amount required for the skins by a large amount.

So you don’t want to spend time playing the game in order to get it through in-game means, but you don’t want to pay real money either. Sounds reasonable…

Have some kind of crafting system so people can meaningfully put effort into gathering items towards their skin of choice, and NOT on the level of the stupid candy corn.

These items already exist. Items like Volcanus or Mjolnir. And guess what? They’re at least as much of a grind to make as any other skin is to buy. In fact, it costs far more gold and takes way, way more time to make one of these craftables than to use gold and buy an RNG box weapons skins off of the TP (as long as you don’t wait a year for the price to climb).

Don’t force your players to spend rl cash for things… let them out right buy the skins on the gem store.

What? So you don’t want to spend rl cash, but you do want to spend rl cash.

Please stop thinking along the lines of “Omg its so rare and only I can have it no one else is allowed it” and think about other players.

You don’t want to play the game to earn the gold to buy it, you don’t want to grind for it and you don’t want to spend rl money. I’d rather have the current system where i can work for something that not everyone has than have them hand them out without any effort.

Saviourslave.6715

The issue is the gambling, the core way of obtaining the weapon skins is faulty because you could theoretically spend 2500 gems and still not get a single ticket scrap. That’s insane. It’s not right. It’s not accessible. And it definitely deters players from wanting to buy keys to get the weapon skins. If they have an alternative option that guarantees them the skin they want, then there would be no problem. It’s not that we want the skins with no effort or cost, we just want the effort or cost to be certain, attainable (Not like the halloween weapon skins), and measurable.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Anet doesn’t have any control over the gemshop anyway, so this thread is rather pointless.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Iluzija.1798

This is a problem with getting gold in the game, not with RNG cash items. Not the same issue.

So you don’t want to spend time playing the game in order to get it through in-game means, but you don’t want to pay real money either. Sounds reasonable…

Have some kind of crafting system so people can meaningfully put effort into gathering items towards their skin of choice, and NOT on the level of the stupid candy corn.

These items already exist. Items like Volcanus or Mjolnir. And guess what? They’re at least as much of a grind to make as any other skin is to buy. In fact, it costs far more gold and takes way, way more time to make one of these craftables than to use gold and buy an RNG box weapons skins off of the TP (as long as you don’t wait a year for the price to climb).

Don’t force your players to spend rl cash for things… let them out right buy the skins on the gem store.

What? So you don’t want to spend rl cash, but you do want to spend rl cash.

You don’t want to play the game to earn the gold to buy it, you don’t want to grind for it and you don’t want to spend rl money. I’d rather have the current system where i can work for something that not everyone has than have them hand them out without any effort.

Woops sorry for the typo at “Don’t force your players to spend rl cash for things… let them out right buy the skins on the gem store.” My bad, was half asleep when I typed this. Was ment to say “Dont force your players to spend rl money on rng chests” because in theory you could spent £300 and never get anything and someone else can spend £5 and get that super rare item you just forked out half your salary for.

Also the problem isnt 100% the gold its also the rate of the drops, anets idea of “rare” is like 00.04%, you really want to fork out cash for that? no.

Also its not that I dont want to spend time in game its that I dont have time, I have a hell of a lot of course work and work 5 or sometimes 6 days a week which takes up most my day, when I come home I do uni work then play games. Like I said, not that I dont want to, its that I cant, I would love to spend time in the game but I would like to pass my course and not get fired. Some players have family and work, cant expect them to give every waking moment of their life in a game?

I know the sample isnt amazing but let these drop rates sink in a little. I know people that spent £300-£400 on keys for the molten ticket, never got it, sounds fair? yeah, totally.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest/Drop_rate

Smooth Penguin.5294

Woops sorry for the typo at “Don’t force your players to spend rl cash for things… let them out right buy the skins on the gem store.” My bad, was half asleep when I typed this. Was ment to say “Dont force your players to spend rl money on rng chests” because in theory you could spent £300 and never get anything and someone else can spend £5 and get that super rare item you just forked out half your salary for.

Also the problem isnt 100% the gold its also the rate of the drops, anets idea of “rare” is like 00.04%, you really want to fork out cash for that? no.

Also its not that I dont want to spend time in game its that I dont have time, I have a hell of a lot of course work and work 5 or sometimes 6 days a week which takes up most my day, when I come home I do uni work then play games. Like I said, not that I dont want to, its that I cant, I would love to spend time in the game but I would like to pass my course and not get fired. Some players have family and work, cant expect them to give every waking moment of their life in a game?

I know the sample isnt amazing but let these drop rates sink in a little. I know people that spent £300-£400 on keys for the molten ticket, never got it, sounds fair? yeah, totally.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest/Drop_rate

Um…. so you’re saying you don’t have much time to play this game so you want an easier way to get rare skins that are completely optional and has no impact on game play at all? /endlongsentence