Dress/suit locked for each gender?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Sup guys!

Just wanted to check if anyone knows if the new outfits are available for each character gender and that gender only? Suit for male and dress for female?

I had hoped that the people who created these outfits would take into account that even though most of us live in heteronormative societies, society doesn’t consist of only straight men and women.

For future creations I’d love to see some outfits or gear that fall under the “manly” cathegory and “womanly” one to be available by the opposite character gender.

very love! much marriage! such wow!

Posted by: Azurem.9468

Azurem.9468

It’s one outfit, which looks like the traditional wedding attire of whatever race/gender you are.
If they tried to sell the suit and dress separately so you could use either of them on either gender people would probably complain about being ripped off.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yes, males can’t wear the dress and females can’t wear the suit.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Twilight.3872

Twilight.3872

I’ve been bothered by this issue for a while now. I feel that it is very sexist/ heteronormative not to have an option for pants on outfits for all females. This goes for the Noble outfit as well as the new Wedding attire. And yes male characters should have the option of wearing a dress as well.

I really don’t want my Norn Woman Warrior wearing a dress and please don’t come back with the trite “then don’t buy it” response.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Oh dear, i’m speechless.

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I’ve been bothered by this issue for a while now. I feel that it is very sexist/ heteronormative not to have an option for pants on outfits for all females. This goes for the Noble outfit as well as the new Wedding attire. And yes male characters should have the option of wearing a dress as well.

I really don’t want my Norn Woman Warrior wearing a dress and please don’t come back with the trite “then don’t buy it” response.

I completely agree! I feel like Gw2 has a chance to step the mmo-genre up to the next level, and leaving all the outdated beliefs and demands behind would be a great step in the right direction!
I’d like to believe that there are more people who’d be ok with equality among characters, or even super happy with it, in the Gw2 universe than any other game.

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Out of all the things you can complain about, this is what you complain about?

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Out of all the things you can complain about, this is what you complain about?

I find it quite relevant, so yes! The gaming community in general is very good at discriminating certain genders and has always been.
I love Gw2 and because of that I want the game to be a place for all people to visit- I want everyone to be able to relate to this universe and not feel excluded.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

That was a question I had as well. Both my partner and myself wore pantsuits at our wedding and there was never any question of doing otherwise. With marriage equality being the law of the land where anet exists (and a few other countries as well) you would think they would assume there just MIGHT be some same sex weddings.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

That was a question I had as well. Both my partner and myself wore pantsuits at our wedding and there was never any question of doing otherwise. With marriage equality being the law of the land where anet exists (and a few other countries as well) you would think they would assume there just MIGHT be some same sex weddings.

Same sex weddings don’t imply cross-gender-stereotypical clothing.

However, in this situation, it’s a question of resources, not intent: looks that can be worn by both genders require twice as many resources to set up (not to mention some effort to figure out the user interface: do you sell two different outfits? do you create new toggle for the one outfit?) and wouldn’t have twice the appeal, i.e. ANet isn’t likely to sell twice as many outfits (if they ‘unlock’ the stereotypical models for each gender) as they do now.

Thus, the effort far exceeds the value to the community (or at least as it exists in 2015). Since ANet is in business to make money and not to bend people’s minds, I don’t see it likely that this sort of thing will get a lot of attention.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

While I understand with the sentiment, I can’t agree with the suggestion that ANet don’t acknowledge same sex marriage. There are numerous same sex relationships in GW2 one of which consists of two very prominent characters (Marjory and Kasmeer). GW2 has more same sex relationships than just about any other game I know so I am just pleased that they as developers are doing something about it in general where other game developers shy away from it entirely.

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Thus, the effort far exceeds the value to the community (or at least as it exists in 2015). Since ANet is in business to make money and not to bend people’s minds, I don’t see it likely that this sort of thing will get a lot of attention.

I’d like to believe that even though they put alot of work into making this outfit look different for each race, rather than making it available for all genders, it’s still important lift the subject.
They might create a cross gender outfit in the future, or gender neutral outfits, who knows.

Anet’s goal is not solely to make monney. It’s about making players wanna stay. Making players feel like a part of this universe.

(edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The game isnt set up at all to have the choice of armor or outfits by gender. To have a cross gender set would require a whole other wedding outfit set, one where they outfits are gender crossed. It’s possible that there isn’t enough demand to pay for the work needed for this.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

bladex.9502

Stop putting yourself in a victim role.
If they made male characters able to wear dresses 90% of the community would complain, as opposed to the very small amount of people that complain now.
Just accept that the game is designed to cater the majority of the community, the majority that doesn’t wear clothes of the opposite sex

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Yes, I know they have NPCs that show GLBT people exist in Tyria. What I was getting at is a way anet could satisfy everyone and still make money out of people shelling out cash for a wedding. When there is an outfit with such a huge difference between the genders offer two versions: the one they had planned to sell and one with the gender indicator on it flipped. This would be most noticeable with wedding clothes as people do not mind splurging a little extra on things that day.

Remember, it would not be just the people who want non-typical wedding clothing. For every item in the game there is someone that tries to get every one of them. Not to mention some people will buy the flipped item just because it looks different.

(edited by Menadena.7482)

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

What about women who don’t like that style of wedding dress? The train is too long… etc.

What if I want to wear the Charr version?

What about guys who wear a bowtie?

Seriously you ask for too much. There are tons of outfits, transmutations and etc. If you don’t like this one outfit make a different one.

I want balthazaars outfit but with a different helmet. Will anet cater to me?

(edited by Zoul.1087)

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I would love for it to be a possibility, I wouldn’t get it for my character, but others could be interested.
that being said I think the main reason is that they don’t think enough people would be interested to justify the aditional work for it.

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

[quote=5415096;BeckaPL.2670:

While I understand with the sentiment, I can’t agree with the suggestion that ANet don’t acknowledge same sex marriage. There are numerous same sex relationships in GW2 one of which consists of two very prominent characters (Marjory and Kasmeer). GW2 has more same sex relationships than just about any other game I know so I am just pleased that they as developers are doing something about it in general where other game developers shy away from it entirely. [/quote]

Exactly, Anet has already taken the first steps in the right direction! They jsut need to keep moving!

What about women who don’t like that style of wedding dress? The train is too long… etc.

Seriously you ask for too much. There are tons of outfits, transmutations and etc. If you don’t like this one outfit make a different one.

Taste of style and equality ais not the same thing mate! Just a heads up!

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

While I understand with the sentiment, I can’t agree with the suggestion that ANet don’t acknowledge same sex marriage. There are numerous same sex relationships in GW2 one of which consists of two very prominent characters (Marjory and Kasmeer). GW2 has more same sex relationships than just about any other game I know so I am just pleased that they as developers are doing something about it in general where other game developers shy away from it entirely.

Exactly, Anet has already taken the first steps in the right direction! They jsut need to keep moving!

Except this is a matter of style and not equality. The simple fact is if they catered to this they would do many times more work per outfit which results in a lot less outfits and less game content.

Not everything points to inequality. I guess next you will want to wear the underwear of the other gender when you have your clothes off?

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Well, and i’m not really agreeing/disagreeing or voicing an opinion, but technically same sex marriages are completely possible. Some couples choose to both wear tuxes, others both wear dresses. At that point it is a matter of style. You can have a same-sex marriage rp if you want to, just not in the style you want (both wearing tuxes)

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

If they made male characters able to wear dresses 90% of the community would complain, as opposed to the very small amount of people that complain now.
Just accept that the game is designed to cater the majority of the community, the majority that doesn’t wear clothes of the opposite sex

That’s exactly why we should question it in this game, jsut as much as in the real world. There are norms forcing people to wear something they actually don’t want to wear, just so they won’t get glared at. Or called things.

Remember that the gaming community aka. Nerds were once oppresed in a sense, I feel like it’s taken a wrong turn in that it is now discriminating others, and I want this to change.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

However, in this situation, it’s a question of resources, not intent: looks that can be worn by both genders require twice as many resources to set up (not to mention some effort to figure out the user interface: do you sell two different outfits? do you create new toggle for the one outfit?) and wouldn’t have twice the appeal, i.e. ANet isn’t likely to sell twice as many outfits (if they ‘unlock’ the stereotypical models for each gender) as they do now.

Well, that MIGHT depend on how they do it.

Let’s say they make race-inspired formal clothes. The charr outfit could look the same on male and female, and be more masculine in nature. No skirts, just good sharp lines and a functional design, including pants. The sylvari outfits, however, might be flowing and flowery on both genders, even though this is a bit more “feminine” seeming it would still fit. The norn outfit could be kilt-based, which creates a “masculine skirt” profile for both genders. I’m not sure what the asuran outfit would look like, and we’ve already got a couple based on humans.

If they took this approach, then I think people would buy them and be happy with them because they’re very fitting to the game lore.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Wildkitten.3872

That’s exactly why we should question it in this game, jsut as much as in the real world. There are norms forcing people to wear something they actually don’t want to wear, just so they won’t get glared at. Or called things.

Remember that the gaming community aka. Nerds were once oppresed in a sense, I feel like it’s taken a wrong turn in that it is now discriminating others, and I want this to change.

Just because you can not cross dress in game does not mean you are being discriminated against.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Wildkitten.3872

Well, that MIGHT depend on how they do it.

Let’s say they make race-inspired formal clothes. The charr outfit could look the same on male and female, and be more masculine in nature. No skirts, just good sharp lines and a functional design, including pants. The sylvari outfits, however, might be flowing and flowery on both genders, even though this is a bit more “feminine” seeming it would still fit. The norn outfit could be kilt-based, which creates a “masculine skirt” profile for both genders. I’m not sure what the asuran outfit would look like, and we’ve already got a couple based on humans.

If they took this approach, then I think people would buy them and be happy with them because they’re very fitting to the game lore.

Except then people would complain that they couldn’t look how they wanted on the race they wanted. I mean when you have people trying to equate not being able to cross dress to being discriminated against then Anet is already in a no win position.

Simple fact is Anet could have come out and given everyone 1000 gems and there would be people making threads complaining about it. At some point game makers are going to just say it isn’t worth the time and effort and not even create content because so many people choose to be unhappy and try to act they are being victimized because they didn’t get exactly what they want.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Oh for the love of…

OK. Look. Stop it. Please. Just stop.

I think there is already WAY more sensitivity and inclusiveness in this game as it is. Certainly more than other online games out there have ever been. Give it a rest. Yes, they have made the clothing gender specific. No, they won’t nor should they change that. I’m getting REAL tired of every niche group expecting their niche wants and needs expressed in this game. ITS A GAME! Get over it already.

I swear to all things that are holy if the “free the nipple” crowd starts trying to seriously advocate that the female toons get to run around topless I’m going to lose my mind.

Just stop it.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Wildkitten.3872

Oh for the love of…

I think there is already WAY more sensitivity and inclusiveness in this game as it is. Certainly more than other online games out there have ever been. Give it a rest. Yes, they have made the clothing gender specific. No, they won’t nor should they change that. I’m getting REAL tired of every niche group expecting their niche wants and needs expressed in this game. ITS A GAME! Get over it already.

I swear to all things that are holy if the “free the nipple” crowd starts trying to seriously advocate that the female toons get to run around topless I’m going to lose my mind.

Just stop it.

You know you just likely created the desire in some to complain about this very thing. Let’s hope and pray Miley Cyrus doesn’t play GW2 or this WILL become an issue.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

PookieDaWombat.6209

Oh, and before we start getting into things like gender, heteronorma-don’t really care anymore, we might want to start simpler, like getting Anet to design better face options for the humans/norn that might want to play a POC and not just a Caucasian with a really deep tan and an afro wig. Or even having less playboy model-esque body types.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

bladex.9502

Sometimes I like to cover myself completely in Vaseline and pretend I’m a snail, but Anet didn’t make outfits for snails so I feel oppressed, time to QQ on the forums!

If you really find this a big issue, just uninstall the game

PookieDaWombat.6209

Oh for the love of…

Just stop it.

You know you just likely created the desire in some to complain about this very thing. Let’s hope and pray Miley Cyrus doesn’t play GW2 or this WILL become an issue.

Sadly, yes, right after I posted it and re-read it. :/

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

Sometimes I like to cover myself completely in Vaseline and pretend I’m a snail, but Anet didn’t make outfits for snails so I feel oppressed, time to QQ on the forums!

you just made my day. thank you

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

PookieDaWombat.6209

Pics pls. tyvm.

(Actually, please no. Don’t take any pics.)

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Wildkitten.3872

Oh, and before we start getting into things like gender, heteronorma-don’t really care anymore, we might want to start simpler, like getting Anet to design better face options for the humans/norn that might want to play a POC and not just a Caucasian with a really deep tan and an afro wig. Or even having less playboy model-esque body types.

Actually there are quite a few non Playboy-esque body types. More face options would be good, but I do believe they have released a few since the game was launched and may do more in the future like they do with hairstyles.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

In Japan it’s manly to wear dresses and makeup as a male. So manly/womanly may be taken wrong.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I mean, first off: sexuality has nothing to do with how somebody dresses themself. Two lesbian women could get married in wedding dresses and two gay men could get married in tuxedos. And vice versa. Or any other combination.

Secondly: I agree that the arbitrary way video games separate gendered clothing is silly (especially because charr and asura only have the masculine options because masculinity is seen as “gender neutral” even though it’s not) but tbh I think the work put into the wedding outfit (10 different outfits in one) is impressive nonetheless. It would be nice to choose between different instances of the outfit, but it would be nice for ALL armor and outfits, not just limited to this particular outfit.

Wildkitten.3872

Oh for the love of…

Just stop it.

Sadly, yes, right after I posted it and re-read it. :/

I would have to say if I was a dev for Anet, or I guess any game company really since it’s not GW2 exclusive, there would be days like this I think I would just want to quit. No matter how nice a thing you make you will get complaints. At some point devs are going to say screw it and not make something because it won’t be worth the complaints about it and we will be out some amazing content because of it.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Just because you can not cross dress in game does not mean you are being discriminated against.

It does not mean that people are being discriminated by intent. However there’s obvious reason to question the ideas and inspiration of the armour and outfits of each gender.
Extremely feminine gear that can not be worn by male characters and vice versa. Most of the gear styles of today’s games spring from rather outdated ideals of how women and men should look and what they should wear. More important, the fact that it suggests that a man that wants to wear women clothing can not do so, and the other way around.
By not allowing for cross-gender outfits or gear you further strengthen these ideals, and by doing so you start to discriminate people whether it’s intended or not.

I wanted to raise a debate about this because I feel like it’s an important issue. As I stated in anoher post I want everyone to feel welcome in the Gw2 universe, and that people should be able to relate to the game.

bladex.9502

You’re so ignorant and attention-craving…
Stop complaining about issues that aren’t there.
Either deal with it, or move on with your life and find a game that does cater your needs.
After all, you aren’t forced to play this game.

People with an attitude like you shine a bad light on the LGBT community, or any “minority” for that sake.
Everything that isn’t exactly relative to your lifestyle is seen as discriminating and oppressive in your eyes, so you expect other people to go out of their own way, away from their own lifestyle, just so you don’t feel oppressed anymore.
If anyone is oppressing other people here, its you, and you make me feel not welcome in the “gw2 universe”

Wildkitten.3872

It does not mean that people are being discriminated by intent. However there’s obvious reason to question the ideas and inspiration of the armour and outfits of each gender.
Extremely feminine gear that can not be worn by male characters and vice versa. Most of the gear styles of today’s games spring from rather outdated ideals of how women and men should look and what they should wear. More important, the fact that it suggests that a man that wants to wear women clothing can not do so, and the other way around.
By not allowing for cross-gender outfits or gear you further strengthen these ideals, and by doing so you start to discriminate people whether it’s intended or not.

I wanted to raise a debate about this because I feel like it’s an important issue. As I stated in anoher post I want everyone to feel welcome in the Gw2 universe, and that people should be able to relate to the game.

It’s not even unintentional discrimination. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but men and women are actually different. We have different bodies and different body chemistry’s. You not being able to wear a bra in a game is not discrimination it just means you don’t have the body parts a bra is made for (although it does seem more and more men these days could actually use one).

And because we have different body chemistry’s we think differently. That’s not a hard and fast rule, but is overall generally the case. This is a matter of style only, not one of any intentional or unintentional discrimination. If they made gender neutral outfits and armors for every thing you would have a lot fewer people playing the game.

I played sports back in high school. I didn’t pout because they didn’t make a “jock strap” for women.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

(edited by Wildkitten.3872)

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Either deal with it, or move on with your life and find a game that does cater your needs.

People with an attitude like you shine a bad light on the LGBT community, or any “minority” for that sake.
Everything that isn’t exactly relative to your lifestyle is seen as discriminating and oppressive in your eyes, so you expect other people to go out of their own way, away from their own lifestyle, just so you don’t feel oppressed anymore.
If anyone is oppressing other people here, its you, and you make me feel not welcome in the “gw2 universe”

Bravo!

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

lol the “reverse oppression” argument amuses me so much tbh

What harm would it do to allow people to choose between the different types of armor and outfits? It would do zero harm and wouldn’t even be hard from a technical standpoint. Stop being so defensive about upholding the boring gender norms we’ve got now.

Wildkitten.3872

Very well stated.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Except then people would complain that they couldn’t look how they wanted on the race they wanted. I mean when you have people trying to equate not being able to cross dress to being discriminated against then Anet is already in a no win position.

We’ll never make everyone happy, no. But there’s nothing wrong with coming out with outfits that might serve more than one purpose, right?

And just to be clear, I’m talking about outfits that all races can use, not just the race it’s based on. Any race and any gender.

((Also, I’d like to add in a suggestion of formal attire based on the Tengu. A bit of draped cloth, ornamental feathers, and plenty of large jewelry.))

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

Just create an ugliest and butchiest female, and say everyone that you’re actually a male.
Or the most thin and babyface human male, and pretend to be a girl.

This way you’ll wear pants or dress on an “different” gender.

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Catering to everyone will ensure they are catering to no one.

Wildkitten.3872

We’ll never make everyone happy, no. But there’s nothing wrong with coming out with outfits that might serve more than one purpose, right?

And just to be clear, I’m talking about outfits that all races can use, not just the race it’s based on. Any race and any gender.

((Also, I’d like to add in a suggestion of formal attire based on the Tengu. A bit of draped cloth, ornamental feathers, and plenty of large jewelry.))

And since you are requesting that they spend many times more time on every single outfit, how many outfits are you saying we should see LESS of or game content we don’t receive so they can spend time catering to less than 1% of the population?

The simple fact is this is not a case of discrimination like the OP is arguing it is. There is nothing wrong with Anet making it so women get women’s clothing and men get men’s and not taking time to make sure each race and each gender can wear each others.

At some points things get to a point of ridiculousness and this is one those things that has.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Actually I started this thread with a very laid back attitude in mind, you on the other hand had some rather rude things to say. If you feel like you’re unable to take part of a discussion you’re more than welcome to leave.
To shed some light on what I belive is your problem, since I get the feeling you think I’m some “attention craving LGBT person”. I’m not. I’m neither attention craving or LGBT. I’m just some dude who feel like everyone should be able feel like this game speaks to an audience of 2015. Not 1850.

The point was to lift the subject.

(edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Oh do you think dress models grow on trees? Do you think any company such as ANet that has to make money would be like :
“Manager: Very nice dress you just modeled Jack. It’s very cute and will surely get lots of sales! Now get on to reskin and make that fit on a man. We need you to spend days basically staring at a burly man in a cute frilly dress for that one sale we’ll miss from Ovalkvadratcylinder if that version isn’t available”

Nope, this won’t happen. There just isn’t the demand to justify the work of basically doing two versions of all outfits/armors just for that.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Wow! Did you just call everyone here a nerd? That’s really insensitive. You’re really not going to get any support by name calling.

Wildkitten.3872

Actually I started this thread with a very laid back attitude in mind, you on the other hand had some rather rude things to say. If you feel like you’re unable to take part of a discussion you’re more than welcome to leave.
To shed some light on what I belive is your problem, since I get the feeling you think I’m some “attention craving LGBT person”. I’m not. I’m neither attention craving or LGBT. I’m just some dufe who feel like everyone should be able feel like this game speaks to an audience of 2015. Not 1850.

The point was to lift the subject.

I hate to break it to you, but even now in 2015 men and women still dress differently. Even in the LGBT community, most men dress as men and most women dress as women. Being LGB or T does not make you an automatic cross dresser.

What you are asking for is Anet to cater to every possible scenario in every possible situation. A tiny bit of common sense tells you that is not even possible in a game or the game would still be in development not celebrating it’s 3rd anniversary. It’s likely if games had to cater to every possible scenario you would see a lot less games because they wouldn’t be worth the expense of making.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

And same sex weddings still happen in game….just with dresses instead of a butch style.