DryTop & Silver will suffer same as Orr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

It’s very hard to find enjoyable PVE content, and since Silver came out, i was excited, i actually did some stuff out there.. TO:
a) have fun
b) earn some decent gold

I just don’t know why MMO concepts can’t have FUN+GettingGOLD at the same time any more..

Orr died, Karka died, DryTop is nearly there, and now Silver…
We are forced to play speed run Dungeons and Fractals, to get decent amount of income.. I’m just sad we are forced to do boring stuff instead of enjoying awesome PVE content…

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Grabs popcorn.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I am getting loads of stuff (and in extension gold) by simply having fun and doing the events in Silverwastes.

The issue is people wanting to get EVERYTHING right NOW.
I could easily get enough stuff to complete a legendary by simply doing events in SW. Sure it might take quite a bit of time, but it is fully possible.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

I am getting loads of stuff (and in extension gold) by simply having fun and doing the events in Silverwastes.

The issue is people wanting to get EVERYTHING right NOW.
I could easily get enough stuff to complete a legendary by simply doing events in SW. Sure it might take quite a bit of time, but it is fully possible.

It’s fine Well the thing is, i rather do some stuff that gives me 5 gold per hour, and enjoy it, than idk do stuff that give me 1 gold in 2 hours..

One thing is enjoying game, other thing is enjoying game while you are rewarded… we barely see that.

I don’t want to mention .. that i do Eternal Jumping puzzle 3x daily, and i NEVER seen not even one person in last month… I wonder why…hmm?

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think youre knee jerk reacting just a little.

Cursed Shores (and the rest of Orr) is still very much alive. And, if it isnt, all you have to do is pop a commander tag and advertise in LFG for 30 seconds.

Southsun has a loot train running most days.

It’s still pretty easy to find a decent Dry Top map, at least during prime time. If youre willing to tag up and use LFG, you will have a full map in no time.

The nerf to SW rewards didnt really hit it even 1/10th as hard as people on these forums are trying to claim. It just did what it was supposed to do – put the emphasis back on the mechanics of the map. Ive seen a couple of 5/5 kills since the nerf.

So, the XYZ map is dead argument really doesnt hold up unless you only look at forums and dont look at what’s actually in game.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

One thing is enjoying game, other thing is enjoying game while you are rewarded… we barely see that.

Rewards have been imbalanced for a very long time, effort should be rewarded not brainless farm. Although I can understand why they nerf rewards of farming spots, I don’t understand why the devs are so unwilling to increase the rewards of “harder” content.

Why should 30 minutes of SW chest farm be so much more rewarding than 30 minutes in Arah P4 or Fotm 50? Unfortunately the devs find it easier to nerf the easy farms instead of increasing the harder content to compensate…

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

You need to put things into perspective. What reason is there to to any map? World completion? A Guild Mission? A dungeon entrance? A world boss? When you really think about it there aren’t too many reasons to go to any map in the game just to ‘play’ in the map. Thats why most people are hanging out in LA and to a lesser extend the major cities, all the services we need on a daily basis are there.

I would be quite alright with them adding the PoIs, JP’s and Skillpoints to the world completion mechanic to be honest but I dont know how the playerbase at large would feel about that.

I would argue that DryTop and Silverwastes are an evolution of what we have had before and potentially have more longevity than any other map in the game. They both have a unique mechanic that is map specific and includes unique rewards (ambrite skins and Sinister stats for ex.). The gripe for most people is that there is a barrier to entry in that to get a good map you need a modicum of organisation and understanding between players. They are not too solo friendly if you want the best reward. But then again, thats pretty much how it should be. Its viable to do DryTop and collect every ambrite skin completely solo, it will just take alot longer.

TL;DR Orr and Karka are no less occupied than other maps in the game. DryTop and Silverwastes are more engaging and therefore will probably last longer than other maps

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It’s fine Well the thing is, i rather do some stuff that gives me 5 gold per hour, and enjoy it, than idk do stuff that give me 1 gold in 2 hours..

I don’t want to mention .. that i do Eternal Jumping puzzle 3x daily, and i NEVER seen not even one person in last month… I wonder why…hmm?

We are getting rewarded for enjoying the game. The problem is many seems to think rewards = enjoyment.

The thing with todays gamers is that they want stuff and they want it right now, rather than simply enjoy playing and then getting some stuff down the line.

Would it really be better if you got what you wanted at once and then had no more goal to work for? Why would you even bother staying with the game if you have already gotten everything you would want/need?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

I am predominantly a WvW player. Try doing nothing other than that for a month several hours a day. You’ll know what being unrewarded feels like.

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

If earning gold is your goal, there are plenty of solo farms out there that compete with or beat dungeons in terms of earning gold (from sales of drops, not necessarily raw coin), and are even better if you want the mats for yourself. You might have to go a bit out of the way from the zerg or even gasp think about what mobs drop what and where they live in high density. IF you’re into the playstyle, the fun comes from testing out new areas,tweaking your build or routine to increase efficiency and setting new “high scores” in terms of kills/hr.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

We are getting rewarded for enjoying the game. The problem is many seems to think rewards = enjoyment.

The thing with todays gamers is that they want stuff and they want it right now, rather than simply enjoy playing and then getting some stuff down the line.

Would it really be better if you got what you wanted at once and then had no more goal to work for? Why would you even bother staying with the game if you have already gotten everything you would want/need?

youre so full of nonsense

No more goal? What kind of silly assumptions do you make? I could get all the legendaries tomorrow and i would still be no closer to my goal in this game. I could get a billion gold and still not be a second closer.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

No more goal? What kind of silly assumptions do you make? I could get all the legendaries tomorrow and i would still be no closer to my goal in this game. I could get a billion gold and still not be a second closer.

he is talking about people who want material rewards coupled with a fast way to get there. Obviously once you earn all that you want you’re left with nothing else to persuit or as lordkrall calls it no goal.

Thing is thats not even the case. People assume if they can earn more they’ll reach their goals that much quicker but thats not going to work.

Imagine you want to buy a precursor that costs 1500 gold today. If today you’re making 10g per hour its a 150hr farm to buy it. Seems me that people think if arenanet were to put in say a 500g per hour farm that will be great cause they’ll earn that precursor in 3hrs. Obviously thats not how it works.

People sell that precursors for 1500 1. because they themselves took 100hr+ to earn it. 2. because people are willing to pay the asking price. Its important to remember that gold is merely a representative quantity. In a game thats generally a representation of time. If people are willing to pay 1500g its because they’re willing to spend 150hrs worth of game time for that precursor so with a 500g per hour farm sellers will now start charging 750,000g for that same precursor. Just cause the numbers are bigger it doesnt mean people will not be willing to spend 150hrs playing the game to earn that reward.

Gold is a mere representation, at the end of the day we’re paying with game time.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

he is talking about people who want material rewards coupled with a fast way to get there. Obviously once you earn all that you want you’re left with nothing else to persuit or as lordkrall calls it no goal.

Even if there are people who think like that, and I doubt that are many, then they’ll leave the game with good memories when looking back. If I would stop playing GW2 right now, I probably would never play a game from ANet again.

Galen Grey.4709

Even if there are people who think like that, and I doubt that are many, then they’ll leave the game with good memories when looking back. If I would stop playing GW2 right now, I probably would never play a game from ANet again.

Sometimes what you want isnt what you need. You assume earning all you want in a short time will make you happy thats likely not the case. Part of the happiness one experiences when getting a reward is finally overcoming the odds necessary to get such a reward. We’ve had plenty of rewards that were super easy to get in game. A truck load of back pieces for example. How many people did you ever see happy with earning these back pieces? How many screenshots did you see of people showcasing how awesome the back piece makes their character look? Zero the only feed back you see on that is people says ohh no not another back piece. Is it because back pieces all looked bad? no its because if its too easy to get its hard to appreciate.

Earning everything quickly will not make people happy on top of that they’ll leave with the bad memories of spending money on a game that didnt last them that long.

Now not saying Anet nailed it here. The opposite is also a problem, some items may take too long to earn and thats just as bad. Am only arguing that there is wisdom in making sure you dont get your rewards too quickly.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

It’s also possible to level grinding mobs. Just because it’s possible, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Sometimes what you want isnt what you need. You assume earning all you want in a short time will make you happy thats likely not the case. Part of the happiness one experiences when getting a reward is finally overcoming the odds necessary to get such a reward. We’ve had plenty of rewards that were super easy to get in game. A truck load of back pieces for example. How many people did you ever see happy with earning these back pieces? How many screenshots did you see of people showcasing how awesome the back piece makes their character look? Zero the only feed back you see on that is people says ohh no not another back piece. Is it because back pieces all looked bad? no its because if its too easy to get its hard to appreciate.

Earning everything quickly will not make people happy on top of that they’ll leave with the bad memories of spending money on a game that didnt last them that long.

Now not saying Anet nailed it here. The opposite is also a problem, some items may take too long to earn and thats just as bad. Am only arguing that there is wisdom in making sure you dont get your rewards too quickly.

You want to know why I enjoy farming the most? Because everything else sucks (spiced with a little bit of hyperbole). The story is still not enough to keep me interested and never will, because the living story is simply not able to create enough lore to keep me interested. Doing events like “it’s supposed to” isn’t fun either, once you’ve completed the breach the event starts over, rinse and repeat. The achievements are nice but definitely not able to hold my interest. New stuff on the gemstore is the only thing I’m still enjoying and that requires me to grind through this game to get the gold I need.

Posted by: Cole Eyre.8471

Cole Eyre.8471

I felt the rewards from the SW chest farm were actually mostly junk, with the only things of any real value being some T6 mats and the occasional obs shard. I was getting those mats in line with about what I would do elsewhere by farming mats and flipping them for the T6 stuff. The thing is, this chest farm was fun. There were gobs and gobs of people gathered together collaborating.

I’ve been an aNet customer since 2005. I waited something like 6 long years waiting for this game. For a long time, I believed it was vaporware. When it finally came out and we saw the introduction of a whole new zone that November, I really felt that aNet was setting the stage for a product that would have a long development lifecycle steeped in a steady regular flow of new perm content, similar to what they did with GW1 for two years.

Instead, I find I’m investing my time in a product where features that are designed, tested, and released to production are modified/nerfed because players are using some mechanic of it in ways that weren’t intended.

Sorry but, I’m calling BS on that line of thinking. Given the frequency that this has happened with aNet, I cannot fathom this cycle being anything other than an intentional means of stoking this community. What I don’t understand is why aNet might do this.

Given the cyclical nature of these farm introductions and nerfs, these so-called “Bugs” and “glitches” (they’re not, we know they’re not, many of us here work in product/software design and management), then aNet should really assume responsibility for itself by fixing their procedural deficiencies.

In the days of GW1, aNet essentially crowd-sourced aspects of QA through a community engagement initiative called “Live Test Krewe”. If, by some stretch of the imagination, my cynicism is wrong and these cyclical farm intros/nerfs are not intentional, then aNet really needs to consider fixing their process by including a similar initiative from this product.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Loot is not the be all and end all(stupid pun) for everyone, dare I say not most people. I’d say the market they’re going after, and this has a lot to do with it, isn’t interested in obtaining the most gold AFAP, or legendaries or any of the other shinies, they just want to play the game and forget about the real world for a couple of hours or so a day or once or twice a week or once a month.

I work for a living, that’s where I make my “gold”, I don’t play a game to earn “gold”, it’s not really necessary, unless you’re materialistic, which it appears many players are, or at least many of the vocal players(i.e. – forum posters).

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

I felt the rewards from the SW chest farm were actually mostly junk, with the only things of any real value being some T6 mats and the occasional obs shard. I was getting those mats in line with about what I would do elsewhere by farming mats and flipping them for the T6 stuff. The thing is, this chest farm was fun. There were gobs and gobs of people gathered together collaborating.

I’ve been an aNet customer since 2005. I waited something like 6 long years waiting for this game. For a long time, I believed it was vaporware. When it finally came out and we saw the introduction of a whole new zone that November, I really felt that aNet was setting the stage for a product that would have a long development lifecycle steeped in a steady regular flow of new perm content, similar to what they did with GW1 for two years.

Instead, I find I’m investing my time in a product where features that are designed, tested, and released to production are modified/nerfed because players are using some mechanic of it in ways that weren’t intended.

Sorry but, I’m calling BS on that line of thinking. Given the frequency that this has happened with aNet, I cannot fathom this cycle being anything other than an intentional means of stoking this community. What I don’t understand is why aNet might do this.

Given the cyclical nature of these farm introductions and nerfs, these so-called “Bugs” and “glitches” (they’re not, we know they’re not, many of us here work in product/software design and management), then aNet should really assume responsibility for itself by fixing their procedural deficiencies.

In the days of GW1, aNet essentially crowd-sourced aspects of QA through a community engagement initiative called “Live Test Krewe”. If, by some stretch of the imagination, my cynicism is wrong and these cyclical farm intros/nerfs are not intentional, then aNet really needs to consider fixing their process by including a similar initiative from this product.

I agree, these ‘bugs’ nudge nudge happen every freaking release. Every. Single. Release. Something is being ‘exploited’, farmed, etc and ANet nerfs it then community rages.

Another post I saw earlier said it’s like “giving a dog a bone, letting him take a bite then taking it away” it is totally a bs move on ANets part, and I cannot fathom why they do this because I am not a psychologist.

I just assume they are crazy and taunting the community giggling like little school girls. Hehe watch them rage on the forums huehuehuehuetrolololo “so, should we get started on that next hour long LS?”

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

people cry too much

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Orr always has a good population when I log on and go there, so in my view it’s not dead.
Dry Top always seems to have a good population on the map and since The Silverwaste chest timer nerf people actually try to hold the forts and still has a active population no matter when I log in.

Just because the timer got slowed down for the chests in The Silverwaste and they quit spawning in mass in one general area doesn’t = map official dead. Chests still are easy to find. I found 5 buried chests without any work post nerf.

Really these types of threads are beyond getting old. Just because you can’t make 5+ gold an hour with little to no effect on a map doesn’t mean it’s dead or about to become abandoned. It’s like players saying since Anet won’t or haven’t added what they want to see in the game doesn’t mean the game is officially dead.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

I am predominantly a WvW player. Try doing nothing other than that for a month several hours a day. You’ll know what being unrewarded feels like.

Found the rewards (champs) in WvW to be better than a lot of stuff in pve, always received more rare & exotic items. Made a lot of gold playing world vs world.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

We are forced to play speed run Dungeons and Fractals, to get decent amount of income.. I’m just sad we are forced to do boring stuff instead of enjoying awesome PVE content…

Standing around with a shovel isn’t awesome PvE content. People would still be standing in the same spot they were yesterday, with their shovels, if it really was awesome PvP content.

I detest all these spurious excuses from people who like farming. Farmers are there for the easy loot and when the easy loot is gone the farmers are gone. End of story.

I just don’t know why MMO concepts can’t have FUN+GettingGOLD at the same time any more..

Try playing for fun instead of standing around with a shovel. You will find that you do actually make some money. You might claim that you’re not making more money than everyone else, but why should you (playing for fun) make more money than someone else (playing for fun) if you’re not prepared to play challenging content?

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

wait silverwastes is considered challenging content?

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

My first impression of this thread:

“The horror! The inhumanity!” QQ

Sorry. :/

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

wait silverwastes is considered challenging content?

The challenge is in organizing a successful Breach. A disorganized group will find it harder than a highly organized group with everyone on the same page and familiar with their role.

The organizing portion isn’t hard, but it does require everyone to work together – something which doesn’t always happen.

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

you won’t be getting good loot/income as far as ANet is making money through Gem store and gems → gold is the thing. So basically you can do three things:
1. suck it up and force yourself to have fun with no rewards
2. play only PvP
3. start playing another MMO

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

you won’t be getting good loot/income as far as ANet is making money through Gem store and gems -> gold is the thing. So basically you can do three things:
1. suck it up and force yourself to have fun with no rewards
2. play only PvP
3. start playing another MMO

The reward system changed at some point did it not? due to bots farming etc. Please correct me if I am wrong. Positive the game was vastly more rewarding loot wise last year & the year before.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I think the reason why so many people loved the amber farm is simply because it was rewarding – and we haven’t seen a money making living story episode since the escape of Lions Arch (remember all those bags of alliance supplies and mini captain magnus’s?). Was the amber farm a bit generous in the loot department? Definitely. Did it deserve to be nerfed? Yes, in a way… but to pretty much destroy it completely and have everyone scatter all over the map to open only a few chests with their HUGE abundance of keys is a bit ridiculous. It’ll take a month of sundays for everyone to get their keys used up now, because of the lack of spades.

Solution: Offer up spades for 50 crests and greatly reduce the amount of crests you get from opening chests – because at the moment you pretty much get back the same amount of crests to buy the same amount of keys.

The underlying problem though is the lack of loot, and so whenever there’s a place to farm stuff and make a bit of money, it’s quickly shut down.

I do think in a short amount of time (unless more living stories are around the silverwastes and dry top) it will be just another empty zone. Which is really disappointing because I can only imagine how much work and effort Anet puts into these places, only to have them dead empty a couple weeks later.

I’ve unfortunately had to take the approach that I must to do the living story within the first 1-3 days before it completely bottoms out and is as empty as a desert. And I think a lot of players have had to take this approach too. We need things that will want to make us stay in that area for months to come.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

God, the self-pitying in this thread is crazy.

I don’t know how it could be more clear. This farm was taken away because people were exploiting it to a degree that was unsustainable.

You don’t want your farms taken away? Then freaking be smart about it and start caring whether your good time is ruining someone else’s good time. Yes, ANet absolutely could have fixed this in a way that was more fair. But that would take time and planning, and they clearly decided they had to take emergency measures because people weren’t able to get their achievements for this living story patch anymore.

And if running around collecting chests and snarking in the chat is your idea of the best possible way to play this game, I don’t know what to tell you. That’s definitely not what the point of the game is, maybe you should be playing Candy Crush Saga or something where pressing buttons and getting rewards is all you have to do.

(edited by wwwes.1398)

Galen Grey.4709

You want to know why I enjoy farming the most? Because everything else sucks (spiced with a little bit of hyperbole). The story is still not enough to keep me interested and never will, because the living story is simply not able to create enough lore to keep me interested. Doing events like “it’s supposed to” isn’t fun either, once you’ve completed the breach the event starts over, rinse and repeat. The achievements are nice but definitely not able to hold my interest. New stuff on the gemstore is the only thing I’m still enjoying and that requires me to grind through this game to get the gold I need.

thats the whole point. Imagine if all it took was 10 minutes farming and you could afford everything new in the gemstore. Do you really believe that would make for a better experience?

What keeps you at least a little interested are the rewards and what motivates you to play at least a little bit is the fact it takes a while to reach them. If it was easy to get them you would have no reason to play what so ever.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the OP is right. Drytop and The Silverwastes will end up just like Orr.

Fun, challenging zones that people are playing the way they were designed to be played.

As opposed to overcrowded farm fests.

The funny bit is that the OP sees a problem in this. Working as intended.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Orr isn’t an over-crowded farm fest? Why then are all large events out-numbered by groups of staff 1-using guardians? Is there some trick to getting into an Orr map that’s not this way?

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I think the OP is right. Drytop and The Silverwastes will end up just like Orr.

Fun, challenging zones that people are playing the way they were designed to be played.

As opposed to overcrowded farm fests.

The funny bit is that the OP sees a problem in this. Working as intended.

Here’s the problem Vayne……those designs are based on certain populations. I might be wrong here but once the initial rush of players die down it will be very hard to get enough players on the map to complete the events as designed.

Granted it’s more of a scaling issue than a reward issue. Rewards are just a very easy way around the much harder scaling issue.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

It’s very hard to find enjoyable PVE content, and since Silver came out, i was excited, i actually did some stuff out there.. TO:
a) have fun
b) earn some decent gold

So if you hypothetically had unlimited gold and could buy anything for yourself you wanted, then would you say you could finally sit back and enjoy the game and have fun? I’d propose that you can do that already.

The other side of that coin is that if you aren’t having fun just playing the game now when you’re not making fast money, it’s probably safe to say that you still won’t be having fun playing the game later on if you earn lots of gold.