Dual/Triple Spec

Dual/Triple Spec

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

We had it in GW1 so am surprised that 2 years into release we still havent got it for GW2.

People run different builds for different things, if players are into PvE, sPvP and WvW, that’s 3 different build there alone. And each build will have a different set of armour, weapons and trinkets.

For WvW alone we have have 3 builds we may want to run at different times. But it’s a bit of a hassle having to carry all your gear in your bags, and then have to swap them out one at a time AND THEN having to change your traits for that build!

Can we expect there to be an option in the Hero panel and inventory to set up multiple specs and store gear for those builds elsewhere?

Hell why not even make it a gem store item! Each purchase opens up a spec slot for a character/account.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

It’s been suggested and we were expecting to see it for PvP with the UI changes.
It might be in the next feature pack
*fingers crossed*

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

+1, Dual spec would be great.

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

It costs nothing to respec. Just how lazy of a person do you intend on being?

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I’d pay for spec slots. Just add a ‘+’ to the Hero interface, charge some amount. Maybe… 600 gems/slot.

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

sure 15 slots for armor in inventory and i have 3 sets(1 pve,2www) and then I have to remember all traits , yh easy 3 builds (for pve , few builds for pvp , ohh crap and what about other class ? In most mmos there is build saver , in gw1 there was one but not in gw2 0_0

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well first you had to rework the trate system we had to what it is now before you can have “spec swap temples.” Now there is room to add in these temples. So its more on the lines of 1/2 of a year? (not sure how long we had this new system) for a real time line.

Now comes the question of what would be fair for these swap temples. There are a lot of classes who can pre buff in one build and fight in another making the pre buff set up pointless in a fight making a build over all worthless if you can just simply swap out of combat.
Ele is a good example of this Persisting Flames is a very powerful effect but 6 into fire is a hard price to pay for this so ele can have 6 fire build ready before a fight and get the fury from there blast to the point of stacking 1 min worth then switch back into a more “stander” build for the fight. This makes the 6 fire Persisting Flames build worthless in a fight. I image other classes have this same set of builds and abitly to pre buff i only know ele.
Its about making all builds usable not to make it easy to swap builds as needed.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Dual/Triple Spec

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Well first you had to rework the trate system we had to what it is now before you can have “spec swap temples.” Now there is room to add in these temples. So its more on the lines of 1/2 of a year? (not sure how long we had this new system) for a real time line.

Now comes the question of what would be fair for these swap temples. There are a lot of classes who can pre buff in one build and fight in another making the pre buff set up pointless in a fight making a build over all worthless if you can just simply swap out of combat.
Ele is a good example of this Persisting Flames is a very powerful effect but 6 into fire is a hard price to pay for this so ele can have 6 fire build ready before a fight and get the fury from there blast to the point of stacking 1 min worth then switch back into a more “stander” build for the fight. This makes the 6 fire Persisting Flames build worthless in a fight. I image other classes have this same set of builds and abitly to pre buff i only know ele.
Its about making all builds usable not to make it easy to swap builds as needed.

what about switching build removes all buffs ?

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

For WvW alone we have have 3 builds we may want to run at different times. But it’s a bit of a hassle having to carry all your gear in your bags, and then have to swap them out one at a time AND THEN having to change your traits for that build!

That hassle and the time it takes is important.

quick swapping full builds on the fly, even out-of-combat, would have a huge impact on how WvW plays out.

it would result in an absolutely horrible meta.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Dual Spec only okay with 15 minutes cooldown and while being out of combat for at least 2 minutes.

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

That works.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s a QOL thing really. We can already swap builds out of combat with the new trait system as long as we brought the gear to do so. I don’t see any reason not to link loadouts/traits/hotbars to a unified interface to further reinforcethe idea that GW2 wants us to alter builds to fit specific situations so they can design more intricate content as they did in the first game.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Dual/Triple Spec

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

And maybe roaming on www would require more skill. You attack,scout enemy and quickly change build to counter it ? Finally eaqual fights.

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Even more so.

But really, it’s an interface improvement and it was in the last game. Things should go forward in terms of UI. It’s the same reason why we don’t use DOS anymore for daily computing.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

There are already players out there where half or more than half of their inventory space is filled with gear for different builds they run.

And do you know the time it takes to change? More than one would like.

As for WvW meta, it’s already horrible, you cant make it worse. And it’ll make things more interesting as players can get out of combat and change their build to suit the opponent.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

As for WvW meta, it’s already horrible, you cant make it worse. And it’ll make things more interesting as players can get out of combat and change their build to suit the opponent.

changing your build to suit your opponent is exactly the problem.

a build is a series of choice, it creates strengths at the cost of weaknesses. being able to toggle at will to move them around effectively removes the strategic aspect of build making. when you don’t have interesting decisions to make, all you’re doing is going through the motions.

there’s dozens of threads that have already gone very in-depth on why this would be the worst thing to happen to the game.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Dual/Triple Spec

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

changing your build to suit your opponent is exactly the problem.

a build is a series of choice, it creates strengths at the cost of weaknesses. being able to toggle at will to move them around effectively removes the strategic aspect of build making. when you don’t have interesting decisions to make, all you’re doing is going through the motions.

there’s dozens of threads that have already gone very in-depth on why this would be the worst thing to happen to the game.

i think it is completly oposite , finally there would be option to counter enemy . Same on pvp I think we should be able to use 3 builds from template but shouldnt be able to switch char . Or maybe you think that switching build is worse then reloging to turret engi on skyhammer ?

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I also suggested this a month ago and got linked to another topic of another month old.

“there’s dozens of threads that have already gone very in-depth on why this would be the worst thing to happen to the game.”

Worst thing to happen in the game ever…
Though you can already archieve it manually, so thats a wack argument.
But what if you just had to press a button to switch, in WvW it would only work inside keeps/towers and in Spvp its not possible.

In ff14 it worked a bit like that, if you changed classes in the big cities you had no CD on your cross-class skills, so maybe that could count for utility skills here

(edited by luzt.7692)

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Lolyta.4582

Lolyta.4582

This argument seems to center around changing WHEN and WHERE we can respec (“swap temples”), not the convenience of storing multiple specs for faster and more reliable build changes. However, the OP here is asking for stored specs (traits, utility skills and equipment) and NOT a change to when and where we can respec. So I apologize for not seeing the relevance of “swap temples” to the subject of this thread.

So minus 1 from me for “swap temples” requiring visits to a specific place to respec… we had that before when it required a visit to a trainer, plus gold, to change traits, and it was all or nothing: we totally refunded all skill points and then started over from scratch with new traits- a very cumbersome and forgetfulness-prone process and one that is not missed by very many players, if any.

The current ability to respec anywhere, for free, and remove just one trait from a trait line then add one to another line is VASTLY superior to the old “visit a trainer, pay gold and it’s all-or-nothing” trait refund process. The only difference being asked for here is the ability to STORE traits and equipment in advance, which is not an unreasonable request given that it is difficult for many/most players to remember every detail of even ONE build on ONE character, much less multiple builds across 8-9 level 80s.

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Lolyta.4582

Lolyta.4582

That works.

That may “work” but it is overly punitive. What if the new build I’m swapping to ALSO has Persisting Flames (using your example) and the only reason I’m swapping builds has to do with swapping, say, Air traits for Water traits so I can improve my heals while keeping the exact same 6 traits in Fire as the outgoing build has, including Persisting Flames? Why in that case would it be fair to remove the Persisting Flames buff?

We already (finally!) have a respec system that works- it’s cumbersome, but less so than the previous “visit a trainer, pay gold, refund all traits and start over from scratch” system.

I don’t know if removing the Persistent Flames trait currently also removes its buff, because I’ve never respecced my Ele from a Persisting Flames build to a build without it while the buff was up. But my vote would be not to change ANYTHING about the current system EXCEPT the ability to pre-store builds, including traits, utility skills and equipment.

As others have pointed out, the ability to store builds is a primarily a QOL issue, not a game-changing issue.

Dual/Triple Spec

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Oh gosh There should be option to switch build on HUD 3 icons ,you click it boom blue light to show that you switched build and
-if skill 7 is on cd(36sec it stays on this cd after swap)
-all buffs,passive are removed. New build nobody cares what was before .
Switching it in towns , keeps doesnt make sense becasue still on some dungs I have to respect to face better some encounters . Sorry I dont get crying people when I roam in my mesmer I have 2 armor sets anyway and I switch it to counter enemy so whats the difference ?

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I don’t think they want “quick swap” as part of something they need to balance in various game modes, so I don’t think this is gonna happen.

That does not mean a “save” build / equipment feature (like in PvP) is not possible, but allowing it on the fly (out of combat) is going to have profound effects on balance / meta in WvW and Dungeon / Fractal content, so I don’t think that’s something they want. Now some sort of NPC you can speak to do a reconfig might be possible (in WvW Keeps/Towers, encampments in PvE open world, towns, ect.).

WAIT! How about a Skritt squire (named Patsy) that follows you around with 2 coconut halves clacking them together (much better than a mount!)? You have to talk to him to change gear.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Dual/Triple Spec

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Actually in dungs/fracts most good players switch their build anyway for a long time (armor is 10 sec , skills maybe 5 , the only problem are traits ,just click armor in your inventory)
for example my guard
-swamp(tree)-switching to zerk+reflections
-dredge(defending panel)-switch armor to pvt+reflections+protection etc
-dredge(fighting ice/suit)-switching to zerk+range dps+root
-arah-switching for pvt for skip -zerk for boss
example of my mesmer roaming build
-i use main PU mesmer when i see ranger with short-bow i switch build or try to dps him down first

So i dont understand why people are crying about it because you can do this anyway . Switching build on www only in towers/keeps god pls no it is step back so now during guild raid ill have to run to tower to switch build , just no .

Dual/Triple Spec

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

I don’t think this will cause any unbalance issues, since people can already do this if they want. The thing is, dual spec would make it a lot more convenient.

It would be a lot easier to just click on button to change to your second build instead of having to click every single piece of equipment, plus changing your traits and skills (rangers also have to change their pets). It would save you a lot of time and let’s not forget about inventory space. Some people actually carry 3 sets of gear, so I’m sure it can get very confusing at times.

I think it would be beneficial to everyone really, and if you’re worried about WvW then it would be very easy to just add a 1 or 2 minute cooldown and an out of combat restriction.

Dual/Triple Spec

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

I don’t think this will cause any unbalance issues, since people can already do this if they want. The thing is, dual spec would make it a lot more convenient.

It would be a lot easier to just click on button to change to your second build instead of having to click every single piece of equipment, plus changing your traits and skills (rangers also have to change their pets). It would save you a lot of time and let’s not forget about inventory space. Some people actually carry 3 sets of gear, so I’m sure it can get very confusing at times.

I think it would be beneficial to everyone really, and if you’re worried about WvW then it would be very easy to just add a 1 or 2 minute cooldown and an out of combat restriction.

yh www cd sounds good 60 sec like longer timer on weapon swamp , but any cd in pve wont make sense