Dueling and Inspecting?

Dueling and Inspecting?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dunbar.9164

Dunbar.9164

Making that would be a good idea. Dueling other players anywhere other than major cities. and also an inspect function to see peoples gear

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Wont ever happen.

This isn’t the WoW clone you are looking for.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

I agree, but a lot of people don’t like being able to see others’ gear for some reason.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Can duel in guild hall. If want to duel with PvP rule then have PvP custom arena. Enjoy.

;)

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Dueling in a private place set up for it, sure.
Inspecting can get kittened.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

We already have too many elitists, the inspect feature would make them go ever crazier… -shudders-

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Regarding Inspection:
The reason why there are no Gear/Build Inspecting is so players are encouraged to make their own builds rather than copy other people’s build. Also it prevents other players from cheating in PvP by looking at someone else’s build then making a counter build before the match even begins. Also Gear/Build inspecting prevents Elite Noobs from judging you before seeing you in action in raids, dungeons, and fractals. Player skills outweighs exotic builds after all.

Regarding Dueling
MMOs with Dueling is known to have increadibly terrible community. If you want to PvP then do it in Heart of Mists where your level can be maxed out, with access to all skills, traits, and stats you need so that you can show off your skills against your friends in a proper PvP match. People who play in PvE want to enjoy PvE without other players trolling them around by spamming Duel request or random killing of afk players.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: MarkoNS.3261

MarkoNS.3261

I would really like an inspect option then i woudnt have to kick people who dont want to link gear.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Regarding Dueling
MMOs with Dueling is known to have increadibly terrible community…People who play in PvE want to enjoy PvE without other players trolling them around by spamming Duel request or random killing of afk players.

/agree

I believe the OP need do nothing more than consult WvsW for what kind of behaviour, environment, and sense of ‘community togetherness’ dueling promotes.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

“What is THIS? Your runes aren’t 100% optimized!”

“Please sir, no! I promise I can DPS! My runes are from the last meta, and I can’t afford the new ones!”

“TOO BAD. GTFOYPOSWDIAF!”

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I would really like an inspect option then i woudnt have to kick people who dont want to link gear.

You are the minority though, and that attitude is exactly why there is no inspect option in this game.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Duel in WvW, duel in sPvP duel in Guild halls. Lots of options take them or not up to you.
Inspect is useless. You don’t trust people don’t play with them.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

“What is THIS? Your runes aren’t 100% optimized!”

“Please sir, no! I promise I can DPS! My runes are from the last meta, and I can’t afford the new ones!”

“TOO BAD. GTFOYPOSWDIAF!”

“Scuse me, the current meta is zerk chest pants and boots, with assassin shoulders and head. You have all zerk. KICK!”

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Reem.3578

Reem.3578

Inspecting??? Hell no!!!! :<
^that wasn’t an overreaction
As people mentined above me, try imagining what it would do to the game…
Why did you suggest such a thing? (I really wonder, no offence! )

“You judge too much with your eyes alone…”

And yes, i play [Teef] :)

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Kiryu Seiran.2163

Kiryu Seiran.2163

Dies of laughter Really? Inspecting is a bad idea.

The funny thing a guildie got kick of party due to equipment but kitten you really want him in your party/raid… and they leave a kitten mesmer with 2 pieces of ascended and shiny weapons and high AP… Of course the dumb mesmer left because I know my guildie is best than me at raids… Yeah i’m the dumb mesmer… You see me pretty, shiny and nice as chrono but in my guildie eyes i’m the mesmer who gets excited over a spoon at the meatoberfest like if it was a legendary weapon……….. And well is true

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

I agree with others about inspecting. Definitely not needed.

As for dueling. I could do without the WoW spam when one person beats another. But I actually wouldn’t mind that feature. I have an event I would love to do for my guild that would require it. The only way I can do it now is through the means mentioned above and it just doesn’t work with what I have envisioned. I would be ok with duels, only if there’s a togle to turn them off. So once again using wow as an example I can mind my own business w/out some fool dropping a flag next to me and spamming my messages.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Trepidation Lost.3469

Trepidation Lost.3469

the option to have a 1v1 anywhere would be nice, why not? yes wow had this from what ive hjeard so what, the more things you cna do in the game the better….

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Dunbar.9164

Dunbar.9164

lol always that one guy with the smart comment. im not looking for a wow clone. i just thought it would be fun to be walking around in an area leveling and if you see someone you click and ask to duel. however you guys made alot of good points on why this wouldnt be a good feature. This game has literally one of the best communities ive ever seen in any game and that would definitely impact it. With the inspect feature i would think it would be nice to atleast see the gear and black lion market items people have for their look. not necessarily the stats of their gear. But im kind of new and i guess after playing for a while you get familiar with the gear looks and know which ones they are.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

You can also just whisper them and ask what the skins/etc they have are. Most people are cool and will answer you.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

No opinion on gear inspections, as I avoid party’s with meta + skill rotation requirements anyway, so I’d be unaffected.

However, I could do without 12 year old snots spam inviting me to duel them (or whispering me to duel them if receiving duel invites can be disabled) for the sake of their own inflated ego.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Inspection for skin details only? Sure, fine
Inspection for gear color, stats? Get out.

Duels? No.

Do I really need to link all the kitten threads for these things?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gw2+forum+dueling+site:forum-en.guildwars2.com

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gw2+forum+inspect+site:forum-en.guildwars2.com

Enjoy

Someone find me the “beating a dead horse” gif.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

You can also just whisper them and ask what the skins/etc they have are. Most people are cool and will answer you.

Just this; people answer when you whisp them.

But never invite them to a party without asking, for me it’s " WTF no no".

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Dueling can be done in custom arenas and the guild hall. You can inspect a player with their permission by using the API. It’s unlikely that they’ll ever go beyond that, though back in beta they did say that open world dueling was something they’d like to do.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

pretty much this. If you whisper and say “wow! cool look! what [insert item here] is that?” most likely they will respond and be glad you noticed.

I know I enjoy it when people enjoy my looks

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’d love a dueling option, but a massive no thank you to gear checks. (PvP and WvW are not viable options due to build restrictions and server issues)

Dueling would have to be handled carefully as not to offend people, like something similar to GTA online, where you have the option to flag yourself as “combat ready” so players who weren’t interested could carry on with normal activities and not be effected by it.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I’d love a dueling option, but a massive no thank you to gear checks. (PvP and WvW are not viable options due to build restrictions and server issues)

Dueling would have to be handled carefully as not to offend people, like something similar to GTA online, where you have the option to flag yourself as “combat ready” so players who weren’t interested could carry on with normal activities and not be effected by it.

and if you are not flagged as ready cause you maybe dont care about that feature you are the “coward”, the “noob” or “scared”….had it all, just throwing that in, whatever, carry on with the topic…

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

and if you are not flagged as ready cause you maybe dont care about that feature you are the “coward”, the “noob” or “scared”….had it all, just throwing that in, whatever, carry on with the topic…

trolls are going to find a way to troll, its what they do. that doesn’t mean every1 who would enjoy a feature will also troll.

i’d think w/ the friendly, best mmo community out there would be supportive of more ways to play and enjoy the game, not restrict it

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

i like the idea.
I use to play archlord and every major city had a small arena that allowed for pvp and was open to anyone and any level. Just enter and you are consenting to it. It was a great way to practice, play king of the hill (that is just what i called it), try gear out, etc..without having to queue up or play in a group.

Dueling and Inspecting?

TexZero.7910

trolls are going to find a way to troll, its what they do. that doesn’t mean every1 who would enjoy a feature will also troll.

i’d think w/ the friendly, best mmo community out there would be supportive of more ways to play and enjoy the game, not restrict it

Duel in your guild hall or the Custom arena.

There’s 0 reason to turn a PvE environment hostile, volatile and full of petulant attacks.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

There’s 0 reason to turn a PvE environment hostile, volatile and full of petulant attacks.

This. There exist now 3 place where people can PvP/duel. PvP, WvW and now guild hall arena. I think the guild hall arena was Anet compromise for those that want duel in PvE gear while also respect wish of those that want no thing to do with PvE duel. But for some player that is never enough and want to turn entire game into PvP/duel area. People that like PvP/duel now have 3 place to do this. Leave rest of PvE alone thank you.

Last I have to say on this old argue. Like I say I think Anet make guild hall arena as comprise for people want to duel in PvE gear after they see many people post they do not want open world duel.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Dueling and Inspecting?

Jaxom.7310

i have a small guild, so i don’t get an arena in a guild hall. custom arena doesnt’ use pve stats, only spvp amulets and it removes you from the events you were waiting to spawn or whatever u were doing in game

there are a number of reasons to want to duel in pve environment, but theres only 1 reason that should matter, its fun for a lot of people. when did having fun become not a valid reason?

only 1 of us sounds hostile to me.

Dueling and Inspecting?

TexZero.7910

i have a small guild, so i don’t get an arena in a guild hall. custom arena doesnt’ use pve stats, only spvp amulets and it removes you from the events you were waiting to spawn or whatever u were doing in game

there are a number of reasons to want to duel in pve environment, but theres only 1 reason that should matter, its fun for a lot of people. when did having fun become not a valid reason?

Sounds like you made a choice. Sucks, but life is filled with choices. Your “small guild” could easily meet the bare minimum to use the arena or ask any “friends” to duel in their hall.

Seems the only one being restrictive here is you

Dueling and Inspecting?

Jaxom.7310

Sounds like you made a choice. Sucks, but life is filled with choices. Your “small guild” could easily meet the bare minimum to use the arena or ask any “friends” to duel in their hall.

i think the game is best when it opens up as many ways to do as many things as it can. small group, large group, solo group whatever.

more ways to play = more fun for more people. why is that wrong? thanks for your helpful and supportive voice. the best from the best community.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Dueling in cities could cause civilian casualties. Just do it in Guild Halls; it’s fun.

And no one likes Peeping Toms. :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Pullin.5091

Pullin.5091

To be fair, my guild is two people, and some people who just help with missions because my guildie and I have spent much of the last 3.5 years helping others…

I have an arena in my hall
I have all restoration 2 complete and currently filling out the upgrades

Small guild.. so what

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: NightClaw.4758

NightClaw.4758

Dueling would be nice, but gear inspection is just… yeah nty. I’d rather not have that in GW2. I think it would bread even more irritating “You don’t have X so gtfo” into the PvE side of GW2.

And to everyone who says “Just go to a custom PvP arena” That doesn’t excuse the lack of the feature. Gentlemen’s rules tend to fall apart when you let everyone in… (6/10 times that I joined a simi full dueling server, there was a troll in the game.)

I don’t think dueling would be that hard to implement. I mean… Really…

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I kind of get “harrassing” argument against duels in PVE but I don’t think it would be as bad as people exaggerate it would. I played a lot of games with OW PvP/Duels and such thing happened to me 3-4 times. I blocked those people and never heard from them again. I think it would add a lof of fun while waiting for eg. world bosses, you move with someone aside and duel while waiting. If someone wants to troll he will find a way to do so(look at whole Star Wars spoiler thing). I think the amout of possible fun much outwieghts the “risk” of few trolls that can be dealt with easily.

As for inspect I couldn’t really care less, I don’t think there is need for it in this game. However inspecting skins would be neat idea to check what someone is wearing without disrupting them with whispers and it wouldn’t hurt anyone imo.

Dueling and Inspecting?

TexZero.7910

i think the game is best when it opens up as many ways to do as many things as it can. small group, large group, solo group whatever.

more ways to play = more fun for more people. why is that wrong? thanks for your helpful and supportive voice. the best from the best community.

Remember when throwing rocks at the community, you are a part of it. So passive aggressive comments and sarcasm don’t come off well.

Again, the only one limiting themselves here is you. You have options now for every game mode when it comes to dueling. Pick and use one.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

I would like to see an area added to HotM specifically to provide access to dueling. It’d probably solve a lot of the ‘nothing to do while q’d’ complaints as well.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The way LFG works, you’d still have to kick people who blind join, just as you do now.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

I’m yet to read a competent argument as to why dueling is a toxic / bad feature.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Dueling and Inspecting?

TexZero.7910

I’m yet to read a competent argument as to why dueling is a toxic / bad feature.

I’ve yet to read a competent argument as to why we need more options for dueling when 3 currently exist.

That said see the lovely response from Jaxiom. When someone doesn’t want to duel them imagine that. Now imagine it from a 12 year old whose verbose vocabulary extends to only 4 letter words and feeling like necrophilia is a good thing.

Pretty much explains why dueling in PvE is bad, dueling itself in player controlled environments is fine.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

It’s not about the quantity of options for dueling; it’s about the quality.

Guild halls, custom arenas and OS are all some combination of limited functionality, inconvenient access or severe cost. Having something like an area in HotM where anyone can go at any time to duel anyone they please would be of far higher quality.

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with any of Jaxiom’s replies. If “a 12 year old whose verbose vocabulary extends to only 4 letter words and feeling like necrophilia is a good thing” was a reason to not have a feature we wouldn’t even have chat.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Jaxom.7310

I’ve yet to read a competent argument as to why we need more options for dueling when 3 currently exist.

That said see the lovely response from Jaxiom. When someone doesn’t want to duel them imagine that. Now imagine it from a 12 year old whose verbose vocabulary extends to only 4 letter words and feeling like necrophilia is a good thing.

Pretty much explains why dueling in PvE is bad, dueling itself in player controlled environments is fine.

u act as if i’m being a bad guy here, i’ve given real answers to why it’d be a useful feature. only one of us has referred to a group of players as “a 12 year old whose verbose vocabulary extends to only 4 letter words and feeling like necrophilia is a good thing.” and a group that would “turn a PvE environment hostile, volatile and full of petulant attacks.”

if u really need reasons, recall only 1 reason should matter, its fun for a lot of people. another, it gives players something to do while they sit around waiting for bosses, events, etc to spawn. it lets people have a pvp option in a more varied setting. there are little arena style locations around tyria that would be fun places for setting up dueling tourneys.

reasons why current solutions aren’t that, pvp custom arenas use pvp amulets not ur normal gear, they remove you from the world and whatever u were waiting on doing (see events/bosses/etc spawn), guild hall arena has the same prob it removes u from the world and whatever you wanted to do.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

We already have too many elitists, the inspect feature would make them go ever crazier… -shudders-

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

if u really need reasons, recall only 1 reason should matter, its fun for a lot of people. another, it gives players something to do while they sit around waiting for bosses, events, etc to spawn. it lets people have a pvp option in a more varied setting. there are little arena style locations around tyria that would be fun places for setting up dueling tourneys.

A classic example of what’s fun for some, in this case two, is a PITA for others, in this case many.

If you want to duel, aka. 1v1 PVP, then do it in PVP zones where such things belong.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

That’s still not a real argument.
The feature in WoW NEVER cause any issue.

Want to duel ? click, /duel. You don’t want to ? click no and go on with your day.

What’s the issue everyone si afraid of ? That someone will spam you with duel request ? We can already block people, just make it so blocking deny duel requests.

I just don’t understand any logic behind " this feature is bad "

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I’d wager that dueling would cause all sorts of havoc with events and monster scaling. Imagine the logic to manage a dozen duelers at the foot of Tequatl or in the midst of the DS event chain.

SBI

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

That’s still not a real argument.
The feature in WoW NEVER cause any issue.

Want to duel ? click, /duel. You don’t want to ? click no and go on with your day.

What’s the issue everyone si afraid of ? That someone will spam you with duel request ? We can already block people, just make it so blocking deny duel requests.

I just don’t understand any logic behind " this feature is bad "

Never caused an issue in WoW? lofl I want to live in that world.

I played WoW for 7 months (pre MoP), and I had several kittenheads make my life miserable because I didn’t accept their duel challenges or because I was apparently not wearing the gear they thought I should be (despite the fact that I didn’t kittening have it). Or I wasn’t running Discipline on my priest and obviously I absolutely should have been. Or I opted to take talent ‘a’ over talent ‘b’ and omg that was “wrong” despite that it worked just fine for me.

Yeah, no thanks. Just no.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Dueling and Inspecting?

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

This. There exist now 3 place where people can PvP/duel. PvP, WvW and now guild hall arena. I think the guild hall arena was Anet compromise for those that want duel in PvE gear while also respect wish of those that want no thing to do with PvE duel. But for some player that is never enough and want to turn entire game into PvP/duel area. People that like PvP/duel now have 3 place to do this. Leave rest of PvE alone thank you.

Last I have to say on this old argue. Like I say I think Anet make guild hall arena as comprise for people want to duel in PvE gear after they see many people post they do not want open world duel.

PvP, Guild Hall and WvW are not valid dueling options, the people who aren’t PvE focused know this too. (or anyone who stops to think for more than 30s)

PvP – Builds are restricted.
WvW – You are server restricted.
Guild Hall – I don’t think I need to explain what happened to most small man guilds. (My WvW guild of 12 people still need to claim the hall,)

We are just asking for a valid dueling option that lets players have fun, I’m sorry that so many feel that it would hinder their own PvE experience or there MIGHT be a few grievers in the mix, but hey Osama blew up a tower so all arabs are bad I guess. (How awsome is that logic!!!)

I know it’s never going to happen (Threads asking for duels since release 3 years ago), but the mentality itself on these forums will forever hinder game progression… IE: Thread asking for more melee staff skins was shot down by many because we already have enough skins apparently. People asking for mounts with no stat bonuses = bad idea too and so forth….

The people asking for this feature are trying to give options to accompany both parties involved, to work out a solution that would please all, if you’re so against it, then please give a real valid opinion and not a kitten concocted excuse on why you would personally not like it, work with us, work out a solution instead of just going “nup u have 3 options now kitten off”… Well, if those options were valid, we wouldn’t be asking for a valid dueling option would we? Hell, if WvW was open servers, I wouldn’t be asking cause I could just transfer to a friends opposing server for 10 minutes for that duel.

Maybe that could be our solution there, WvW open servers? It’s a dead game mode now anyway. It wouldn’t effect PvE players at all… What do you say to that option? That option surely resolves your issues and ours does it not? Or is it just a bad idea because it’s something that you’re not personally interested in?

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)