Dueling and staking? Please read to the end!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TerminASA.8253

TerminASA.8253

Hi. I wanna start off by saying this, how many of you played Runescape? if so, do you remember Duel Arena? well i myself spent so many hours in that arena, staking and dueling people, it was fun, you gain and lose thing, the joy of winning was amazing, but losing was awful, still it was fun. I have been playing GW2 for over 2 years now, i am not even close to being called knowledgeable, however, something i really wanted to see being added to the game during these two years was dueling, i liked pvp so much, but i still hated going to spvp and joining a match, it wasnt the kind of pvp i liked there is a lot of reasons for that, the match would get boring quickly, and most of the times you join against a really good team, premade or what so ever, i know some of you may say, “oh you’re just bad…” etc… but yeah something kept me away from pvp though i really liked fighting another player, anyways, i also know there is alot of players like me, and with dueling not just us, but everyone would be able to enjoy pvp more, you dont necessary need to join a pvp match, 5v5, now i know there are some arenas dedicated for 1v1 matchs, but its still a bit different, dueling can also make cities more active, more lively, seeing all players dueling and stuff, amazing feeling, but with dueling adding staking with conditions and stuff similar to Runescape would make it more and more amazing, since GW2 isnt a game about the gear you have in most times, and its just your pure experience with your profession and how good you are and how well you know your class, staking would be more fun, more fair, so i hope you understand my point and dont say unnecessary stuff. I also hope to see betting as well, when you see some people dueling and you decide you wanna bet on one of them and stuff, that would be cool as well. I know this probably not gonna happen, or a dev wont even read this, and i know devs already got requests about dueling many many times, but please, please, if you like the idea, share the word, let it reach the devs one more, GW2 is an amazing game, and adding a little bit more of the roleplaying feeling isnt bad.
This was a long post, sorry about that.
Thanks for reading.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Guild hall arena. Duel your brains out. You and your dueling friends can even bet on each other.

The Burninator

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No to open world (cities) dueling.

The game has provided a space for dueling; no need for others.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Blimey m8. Maybe start a new paragraph now and again!

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I just want the ability to duel anywhere so I have a way to kill time while waiting for events. The guild hall arena is nice and all but it’s not very convenient.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

The minute this game becomes open world PvP/dueling, I’m out and going back to Guild Wars 1.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Sure, you can have dueling. In PvP, where it belongs. With no chance of people hassling others to “come fight me” — a setting in Options that you have to check to enable dueling.

And I have no idea what “staking” is. Don’t assume anyone has played other games or that their idea of some term you use is the same as their concept of it. If you have a suggestion, you need to provide details if the idea is even to be considered.

And paragraphs would be nice.

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Or you can go to EB in WvW and keep the rants and QQ’s on the subject going, lol.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I assume he meant “stalking”.
I don’t care about PvP and WvW but definitely “no no no” to challenges/duels in PvE maps. It was a disaster in Neverwinter when they mixed PvE and PvP on the same map. Chat was full of abuse, taunts and expletives and there was just a bad vibe on those maps.

In GW2 PvE is the friendliest place in all of MMORPG-land. Please don’t spoil it.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’ve not played Runescape, sorry.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Go to pvp, bring up the server list, fill your boots. Guild members use to duel all the time before guild halls were added. ANet has said, they can not implemented dueling, because of bow the PvP/WvW system works, you would not be able to duel as you would be hostile to _everyone_. The way the system works you could attack anyone also, so a stray shot could bring a mass beat down on you.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They said it would be too much work to bring PvP to PvE. Presumably it’s because of how in PvE maps it’s set up to maximize cooperation. If you notice, the dueling sites in guild halls are in maps that behave differently than the regular PvE maps, in that you can log out from a guild hall map and you won’t stay there but will return to the regular PvE/PvP maps.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

dueling is PvP no matter how you swing it around, PvE is not the place for that.
keep it out of PvE, i have had to many duel request threats to even bother the uge list why it’s a bad idea.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP has made the first case for open-world dueling that sounds like it would be interesting. For “just dueling,” there are already PvP arenas, the GH arenas, GvG arena, and, if you want to get in the way of zergs, WvW. But, as the OP points out (without punctuation, making it harder to understand), there’s no tracking of opponents; there’s only “hey you wanna duel?”

So I think it would be fun to include that in a game. However, not in GW2 — the PvE reward mechanics are designed specifically to completely eliminate competitiveness in the open world and also encourage cooperation. Allowing dueling (even on an opt-in basis) would ruin that model in some fundamental ways.

tl;dr open-world dueling might be a fun thing; it’s simply not appropriate to GW2

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

No to open world (cities) dueling.

The game has provided a space for dueling; no need for others.

PvP has PvP gear, I’m not in a big guild, only 7 of us lol so we don’t even have a guild arena and in WvW i’m only limited to what’s available across 2 servers.

Is the OS a megaserver? could duel there? Or is there an Arena somewhere in Orr that allows duels? Or an instance somewhere?

I’m bad when it comes to PvE stuff so I wouldn’t know if there was a viable option out there available to everyone but if you could point me in that direction that would be awsome thanks

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I assume he meant “stalking”.

Actually it looks like “staking” is the correct word, though it’s a bit of bad form to post a concept foreign to these forums without defining it yourself.
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Duel_Arena

Apparently you can optionally put up an item that the duel winner gets to keep.

So … no. No thank you. I don’t want duel harassment here, and I really don’t want trash talk aimed at pressuring people to put up their prized possessions so duelists can beat their pants off and take the stuff (or, as most people won’t be foolish enough to do so, the trash talkers will then insult them for refusing).

OP, if you want to stake your valuables on whether you can win a duel, go find a guild arena or an agreed 1v1 area in WvW or a custom arena, offer your goodies, and then fork them over in good faith if you lose. There’s no need to institutionalize that here.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I don’t mind having an option to duel in PvP, but I don’t see anything good about staking and placing bets on fights. Nothing good can come from it.

Posted by: Kraizer.2350

Kraizer.2350

I think dueling in PvE is pretty harmless but as everyone else has pointed out, we have designated areas for any type of PvP. That being said, I would most certainly be open to the idea of duels. But staking? Absolutely not. It attracts a crowd of people that like to gamble and some of them take it entirely too far.