Dueling needs to happen!

Dueling needs to happen!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elixir.2169

Elixir.2169

I know this subject has been brought up alot but I want to bring it up again just so the devs don’t forget that it is something that could greatly boost many peoples enjoyment of the game. Some may say you can duel in WvW and Spvp but here is the catch. WvW it can take hours to find one person that is willing to duel or even fight that isn’t running in a giant zerg. Spvp sure you can duel. The problem I have with spvp is that it limits options to much build wise makes it hard to counter other builds. PvE/WvW builds seems to handle this better due to wide range of customization. This is just some stuff I had to get off my chest seen as all of this has been really frustrating lately and I have been hunting for some small group fights(which can take hours “waiting to have fun”) that seem to be impossible to find unless a system is put in place.

PS please ignore any spelling or grammar errors I did this from my phone!

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Despite what I have said on the subject in the past, and the way the PvP crowd likes to mistreat others (only talking from my own experience, take it or leave it…) I’d support this… /IF/ it is kept over in the HotM.
Adjust PvP Arenas to allow it or just have a separate section for it.
It doesn’t need to be in PvE.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Please keep this out of PvE, or at least please make a global, automatic duel request block for people who don’t want it in their PvE.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

I personally don’t duel or do PvP much, so I will admit my fear of duelling lies mostly in the fact that allowing duels the open world means giving another foothold to people who like trolling me even when I’m out roaming in the wilderness.

My experience of duels comes from WoW, and having a persistent dueller run in circles around me and trailing me despite me blocking him left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I had to log-off and leave the game for a few minutes so I could break him off my tail before I could log-on again.

While I have nothing against PvP’ers, having this sort of griefing that should typically exist within competitive arenas spilling into PvE areas makes me apprehensive. I like the current state of the game where events are designed to be co-operative and helpful.

Dueling needs to happen!

Elixir.2169

I personally don’t duel or do PvP much, so I will admit my fear of duelling lies mostly in the fact that allowing duels the open world means giving another foothold to people who like trolling me even when I’m out roaming in the wilderness.

My experience of duels comes from WoW, and having a persistent dueller run in circles around me and trailing me despite me blocking him left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I had to log-off and leave the game for a few minutes so I could break him off my tail before I could log-on again.

While I have nothing against PvP’ers, having this sort of griefing that should typically exist within competitive arenas spilling into PvE areas makes me apprehensive. I like the current state of the game where events are designed to be co-operative and helpful.

If you have seen wildstar, I really enjoyed how they did open world dueling. Never played Wow though so not sure if Wildstar did the same thing or not. The best way I think would be to make it like a mini game and just make a separate section in the game for it. Or they could, like everyone hoped, turn a part of the queens gauntlet into a place where you can 1v1 players too.

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

(edited by Elixir.2169)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Ooh another one of these threads. Why don’t you pro duelers just keep this stuff all consolidated into one thread?

I don’t care one way or the other about dueling because I wouldn’t use the feature, but I still think anet’s time would be better spent on fixing other parts of the game that are broken before introducing another, broken, bug-ridden feature that, I think, only a small percentage of the population would actually use.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

uhmm, i think PvE players have a say about this far more then the pro-duelers, there are plenty of places to fit duels so there is no need to add PvP in the only single place for PvE players.

Dueling needs to happen!

Elixir.2169

Ooh another one of these threads. Why don’t you pro duelers just keep this stuff all consolidated into one thread?

I don’t care one way or the other about dueling because I wouldn’t use the feature, but I still think anet’s time would be better spent on fixing other parts of the game that are broken before introducing another, broken, bug-ridden feature that, I think, only a small percentage of the population would actually use.

Just because you don’t like dueling others do. No need to come in here and bash everyone and there are no “Pro” duelers here. So if your looking to bash duelers go somewhere else. I made this post to keep the discussion alive about dueling and remind anet it is still wanted. I personally do dueling for fun and really enjoy it. I don’t appreciate people being disrespectful about what other people enjoy. I get you don’t like it but no need to be an kitten about it.

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

Dueling needs to happen!

Elixir.2169

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

uhmm, i think PvE players have a say about this far more then the pro-duelers, there are plenty of places to fit duels so there is no need to add PvP in the only single place for PvE players.

I was simply saying I enjoy PvE/WvW stats over Spvp stats and if dueling would to be implemented I would rather use my PvE/WvW stats. Doesn’t have to be in PvE could be a mini game in WvW or so on.

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I’ll take “beaten to death and then resurrected just to be beaten to death again” for 1000 Alex.

Dueling needs to happen!

sorudo.9054

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

I was simply saying I enjoy PvE/WvW stats over Spvp stats and if dueling would to be implemented I would rather use my PvE/WvW stats. Doesn’t have to be in PvE could be a mini game in WvW or so on.

it wasn’t directed at you, more the general population of pro-duelers.
the last thread was more about “i want this and you STFO” and less about “let’s compromise to find a solution”, i am just getting sick and tired of pro-duelers trying to force any and all PvE player to deal with duels regardless of it’s massive downside.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

For Dueling – go to Obsidian Sanctum or make your own PvP arena and invite who ever you want to duel. Then duel to your heart’s content.

No to dueling in the PvE world – it is a slippery slope to Open World PvP.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

There is no legitimate reason why dueling isn’t available. Especially since PvP is different than WvW (pve). Harmless fun that was a blast in both WoW and daoc.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

No capes !!

Nothing more to say since all these horses have been beaten to death already a million times.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Never happened to me in 7 years of playing WoW.

So this game can’t have dueling because your feelings got hurt that one time and you had to log off for two minutes?

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Why in the world would we need dueling in the game when there is plenty of constant dueling on these forums? The war never ends here.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Im all for dueling,but for the people that do not like to be spammed to death for a duel there should be a toggle to disable being invited for a duel.I can imagine pvers at champ events being spammed to duel accidently accepting and then dying in the process.So if they ever introduce it,its a Must to have a toggle for it.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

@Dark: Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t say open world duelling should be totally abandoned, I’m just saying I hope there’s a good way trolling can be minimized should duelling be implemented. Elixir’s suggestion of duelling occurring only in contained places seems like an elegant solution, but I’m not sure how people can use that opening to their advantage.

Also, I hope people realize that not wanting to ‘get hurt’ or simply wanting a nice, friendly game is a fully legitimate reason to think of when considering gameplay mechanics.

Dueling needs to happen!

sorudo.9054

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

For Dueling – go to Obsidian Sanctum or make your own PvP arena and invite who ever you want to duel. Then duel to your heart’s content.

i am against duels, dunno if you simply quoted me by mistake or didn’t get what i posted.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

+1 It doesn’t belong in open world PvE

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What? Given the number of players who duel on PvE servers in other games, I’d say this objection, at least, has no merit. The only slippery slope is the argument presented above.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I know this subject has been brought up alot beaten to death by both sides but I want to bring it up again just so the devs don’t forget that we can fight over it one more time because it is something that could greatly boost many peoples enjoyment of the game. would destroy the cooperative nature of the PvE environment.

FTFY

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

What? Given the number of players who duel on PvE servers in other games, I’d say this objection, at least, has no merit.

The objections from those don’t want open world dueling never have any merit.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Dueling needs to happen!

Beldin.5498

Ok .. i have a new one ..

PvE = Players versus ENVIRONMENT

Personally i find it simply insulting if you want to treat other players as Environment

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Dueling needs to happen!

sorudo.9054

What? Given the number of players who duel on PvE servers in other games, I’d say this objection, at least, has no merit.

nor has the reason to add duels in the PvE open world, absolutely no difference.

Dueling needs to happen!

Elden Arnaas.4870

PvE is Player vs. Environment. It is distinct from PvP which is Player vs. Player. Those of us who do PvE exclusively do it for a reason. We don’t want to fight other players. If we did, we’d go to the PvP areas, which is what they’re for. Nor do we want to put up with a new type of SPAM in the form of dueling requests. To me, Fantasy MMO’s are about cooperating with and helping other players in quests and events. If I wanted to do deathmatch, I’d play a first person shooter. PvP areas are designed for Player vs. Player. Keep all PvP activities in PvP areas, and out of PvE areas, please.
<edited for typo>

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: TamTiTam.9574

TamTiTam.9574

nor has the reason to add duels in the PvE open world, absolutely no difference.

OpenWorld-Duels could give you somthing interesting to do while you are waiting for Dungeons/World-Bosses/Events. You have fun, get to know people, it doesn’t feel like waiting at all. Duels eliminate Boring.
They would have to be in the Open-World, because players will not leave the Map while waiting.

As long as you can automatically block all duelling requests:
How would Duelling “destroy the cooperative Nature of PvE”?
How would Duelling affect you at all?
This is a serious Question. I am really interested.

(edited by TamTiTam.9574)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Just because you don’t like dueling others do. No need to come in here and bash everyone and there are no “Pro” duelers here. So if your looking to bash duelers go somewhere else. I made this post to keep the discussion alive about dueling and remind anet it is still wanted. I personally do dueling for fun and really enjoy it. I don’t appreciate people being disrespectful about what other people enjoy. I get you don’t like it but no need to be an kitten about it.

once again – no. You open up a discussion in a somewhat public forum. You don´t get to decide who partakes. You certainly are not entitled to only get responses in your favor. People may be affected by whatever Anet gathers from these threads. So people disagreeing with you can and should post. If you want to discuss your vision only with likeminded people, invite them to some private instant messaging tool or whatever. If you want to discuss with Anet, write them a message.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

OpenWorld-Duels could give you somthing interesting to do while you are waiting for Dungeons/World-Bosses/Events. You have fun, get to know people, it doesn’t feel like waiting at all. Duels eliminate Boring.
They would have to be in the Open-World, because players will not leave the Map while waiting.

If you’re going to include a quote from me in your post, please be sure it’s something I actually posted. :p

Dueling needs to happen!

Elixir.2169

once again – no. You open up a discussion in a somewhat public forum. You don´t get to decide who partakes. You certainly are not entitled to only get responses in your favor. People may be affected by whatever Anet gathers from these threads. So people disagreeing with you can and should post. If you want to discuss your vision only with likeminded people, invite them to some private instant messaging tool or whatever. If you want to discuss with Anet, write them a message.

Im fine with people disagreeing but being disrespectful is not ok. No where in that post did I say he can’t post. I simply did not agree with the way he posted it. Constructive criticism is all I ask for.

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

(edited by Elixir.2169)

Dueling needs to happen!

Elixir.2169

PvE is Player vs. Environment. It is distinct from PvP which is Player vs. Player. Those of us who do PvE exclusively do it for a reason. We don’t want to fight other players. If we did, we’d go to the PvP areas, which is what they’re for. Nor do we want to put up with a new type of SPAM in the form of dueling requests. To me, Fantasy MMO’s are about cooperating with and helping other players in quests and events. If I wanted to do deathmatch, I’d play a first person shooter. PvP areas are designed for Player vs. Player. Keep all PvP activities in PvP areas, and out of PvE areas, please.
<edited for typo>

Where in my post did I say it had to be in PvE. I completely understand that it should not be. I simply enjoy PvE and WvW STATS, never did I say it must be in PvE or any certain place. I would prefer a certain set place for duels so it can center all the people who want to duel in one area.

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

Dueling needs to happen!

Elden Arnaas.4870

Sorry Elixir, not specifically at you. But in response to the people on this thread who do want PvP(specifically dueling) in PvE areas. I have no objection to PvP in PvP areas.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Easy solution to add dueling.

1. you could make all players that enter the obs arena combatants, unless in the same party or in same guild.

2. You could just add a arena in major cities, anyone who enters becomes a combatant, unless in same party.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Dueling needs to happen!

Elixir.2169

Sorry Elixir, not specifically at you. But in response to the people on this thread who do want PvP(specifically dueling) in PvE areas. I have no objection to PvP in PvP areas.

Haha just glade we are straight and I do agree with you there does need to be separation because not everyone wants the same things.

1. you could make all players that enter the obs arena combatants, unless in the same party or in same guild.

2. You could just add a arena in major cities, anyone who enters becomes a combatant, unless in same party.

Idea number 2 reminds me a lot of gw1 where the majors cities had arenas for PvP and would, to me, be really cool!

[vT] Loyaless – Thief
D/D S/D SB

(edited by Elixir.2169)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yup, both of those sound good (especially #2).

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Honestly, I see very little reason for not having a /duel command that opens you up for a duel with a big jolly roger on your head, and if someone else types /duel near you while flagged, you can engage in combat after 10 seconds (in which someone can type /duel again to opt out).

I mean, if you don’t want to duel, then don’t type /duel near someone with a big skull and crossbones over their head. Even if you die, due to cheap travel costs and no more repair costs, the loss means very little. Heck, even if they have a duel prompting system, just and an option to auto-decline duels and not see duel prompts, and you’re good to go.

The biggest legitimate argument I can find against this is that, as the game is designed for team combat, duels aren’t going to be balanced between classes. This will result in a whole lot of people migrating to the forums to complain about imbalances that Anet has no intention of fixing. On top of being annoying, this will mean more time devoted to weeding through these complaints, and more people dissatisfied with Anets philosophy balance.

Just think of the different games people can invent with this. When the whole open world becomes a PVP map, you can do all sorts of things. I imagine elaborate games of tag and cat and mouse, hide and seek, bounty hunts, and endless duel challenge scenarios in various dangerous situations.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Here’s a solution someone else have presented:

Gemstore Item:

Dueling flag: 800 gems

Usage: Issue a dueling challenge to another character who also has a dueling flag in their current inventory and does not have the condition “duel resting”. If the target character does not have a dueling flag in their inventory nothing happen. If target character has a dueling flag in their inventory, but have “duel resting” condition, display a message to the challenger.

After acceptance, dueling flag creates a ring of xxx radius for 1 minute – 2 minutes?, while in this radius, both parties have immunities to attack / conditions from monsters. Each dueling party member is now appeared as “yellow” target on each other screen.

(Duel)

If any dueling party member leaves the ring, they become non hostile until challenged again. In addition once leave the ring, each the player now has “duel resting” as a condition, which last for 10 – 15 minutes. Cannot challenge / accept any dueling while having “duel resting”

Win for ArenaNet: make money
Win for people who wants dueling (duel away)
Win for people who don’t want dueling (can’t be bothered – no flag, nothing happens)

(edited by Stars.2179)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I am personally against personal dueling. But if it is restricted to HotM or some specific areas in the cities or open world (an arena for every map) or otherwise organized so that it is not possible to add another trolling possibility: then by all means, go for it, ArenaNet. After you fixed bugs, reworked the commander system in wvw, made boss fights more interesting and did all the other things which you mentioned that you are working upon, of course.

Now that we have megaservers it may even be possible to spawn maps where everything goes – of course only if you actively select “put me into map instances where dueling is allowed” in options or whatever.

(edited by Claudius.5381)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

New 1v1 Arena mode implemented(both PVP and PvE gear, different queues or smth).
Why not? Can’t see a single downside to this and I can find multiple flaws in gem-store dueling flags, open world fighting, PvP 1v1 server dueling and OS dueling(what we have right now). Would be pretty fabulous in my opinion.

(edited by Evalia.7103)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I am personally against personal dueling. But if it is restricted to HotM or some specific areas in the cities or open world (an arena for every map) or otherwise organized so that it is not possible to add another trolling possibility: then by all means, go for it, ArenaNet. After you fixed bugs, reworked the commander system in wvw, made boss fights more interesting and did all the other things which you mentioned that you are working upon, of course.

Now that we have megaservers it may even be possible to spawn maps where everything goes – of course only if you actively select “put me into map instances where dueling is allowed” in options or whatever.

A Toggle that will let you decide if you want to be invited to be dueled yes or no,would fix all of these issues. But some of you try to come up with the most complicated fixes while all you need is an..“Yes i want to be invited to be dueled” or a “No i do not want to be invited for a duel”.You cannot ever be trolled if you put the toggle at “No duel invites”.
You people make it harder then it really is.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

no to open world but a dueling arena or two for those who want it with no charge is ok with me. so op as long as its in certain areas or an free arena in ok with it

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

A thread devoted to this subject exists already
I see no argument in this topic that wasn’t brought (and beaten to death) in the old one before.

Also:

But some of you try to come up with the most complicated fixes while all you need is

a Custom Arena.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: TamTiTam.9574

TamTiTam.9574

New 1v1 Arena mode implemented(both PVP and PvE gear, different queues or smth).
Why not? Can’t see a single downside to this and I can find multiple flaws in gem-store dueling flags, open world fighting, PvP 1v1 server dueling and OS dueling(what we have right now). Would be pretty fabulous in my opinion.

Dueling is not meant to be “serious”. Its casual, spontaneous and kills the waiting time. This Concept doesn’t work If you have to leave the map.

I still do would like to know the Reason for the objections to Dueling.
If it is implemented as i.e. Blood Red Arachnid suggests, why do you even care?
I would really like to hear an Argument.

(edited by TamTiTam.9574)

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

I’m a PVE player and I say YES to duels in open world.

Dueling needs to happen!

Beldin.5498

Players are NOT Environment and (a lot of them) don’t wanted to be treated like that.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

And we’re posting to remind you that a significant portion of the playerbase does NOT want this nonsense in the game. It’s a complete and utter aggravation in most games, having to wade through duelists dueling in every bloody corner of the world they can find, doubling annoying when they’re allowed to do it in high population areas.

And for the record, this is coming from someone who spends about half of my playtime in wvw and spvp.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

/no thank you to open world duels

And here we go again with “well I’ve never seen it happen, so it obviously doesn’t, you’re just making kitten up” I sure hope those people are atheists… cause the same concept applies…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

I would be fine with it. Obviously it requires people to agree to the duels. There was a previous game that I won’t mention (always seems to get threads closed if you do, but it starts with a G and ends with a 1) where you could duel in the city in certain areas.

Dueling in PvE has been in the history of MMO’s even PvE centered MMO’s. Heck even ARPGs.

Its something people want. Yes PvP has it in a custom arena, with standard equipment. This doesn’t represent the type of equipment you will have in WWW since you can mix/match, min/max, or use things like dire gear.

In addition, people suggesting the majority does not want this…. where are your sources? As Anet has said the forums are a minority of the player base. Is there some kind of metric you have that we do not?

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

so we have:
-WvW
-sPvP
-HotM

PvE players have:
-open world

I can’t duel my friends in Obsidian Sanctum.

PvP arena has griefers everywhere.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Dueling needs to happen!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Its something people want.

They also want:

Mounts
40 man instanced raids
Inspect
Auto-loading secondary speccing
The Holy trinity

….hmm sure as hell sounds like they want WoW (or several other already available options) to me….

So… they should put it in, just because someone wants it?

We should be just like every other game out there, just because someone wants it that way? WoW clone – here we come!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.