Dumping the home instance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Terrin.2685

Terrin.2685

I don’t know what you guys had planned for the home instance originally but appears to have been abandoned.

Considering that only things that currently take place in the home instance have no need for a private instance (skill node, resource nodes) or come with their own private instance (story quests) it seems like keeping the home instance is just an unneeded inconvenience.

My suggestion: please remove the home instance.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just remove those parts of the Personal Story? Those parts of the map? Gaping holes would be better?

I can not support this suggestion.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It appears you suggest things just to suggest them. After all, you give no clue as to what removing the home instance would fix. Please tell us how everyone would benefit from removing the home instance. In the meantime, if you really want the home instance removed, then I suggest you don’t use it. That way, for you at least, it will be effectively removed and the rest of us don’t have to suffer simply because you feel the need to make a suggestion.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since they’ve started selling items that go into your home instance, it’s too late to drop it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

Just remove those parts of the Personal Story? Those parts of the map? Gaping holes would be better?

Sounds like you are being just being argumentative for no reason. Dumping the “Home Instance” doesn’t equate to deleting the Personal Story portions that involve said instance. Like all the other PS instances that we can’t return to after they are no longer needed, the home instance would become like the rest of them, etc.

The OP has a point as the game stands right now, but I’d venture to guess that personal housing will be made in some fashion within the home instance someday.

Posted by: toxianguardian.4850

toxianguardian.4850

So because you find it useless no one should have it.
’Kay.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

The OP has a point as the game stands right now, but I’d venture to guess that personal housing will be made in some fashion within the home instance someday.

The OP has no point, actually.

Removing it would cause a massive amount of work for no added benefit.

Whether it met its intended purpose or not is irrelevant.

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I disagree, the home instance can be quite useful if you are race other than the Asura . For example the Norn, Human and Charr home instances are full of vendors while the Sylvari have a repair NPC at the entrance. So with a Home Portal Stone you can easily sell junk or repair equipment.

The problem is that those benefits aren’t evenly spread across the races. So all that needs to be done is for the same number of vendor/repair/bank NPCs to be added for each race.

Another thing that should be done is to treat the home instances as a GW1 Hall of Monuments. Where visual evidence of achievements and story progression are displayed. They started doing that in the beginning by adding story NPCs to the home, but that kinda stopped. It would be nice to have stuff like banners of your Order on display, many more story NPCs, statues to commemorate those who denied during the Zhaitan campaign, etc…

There’s alot that can be done with the home instance.

Posted by: Scryeless.1924

Scryeless.1924

I fail to see how a location in the game, which you are never required to go to after the first few quests, is an inconvenience to you. That’s like saying that the hospital you were born in should be demolished because its an inconvenience.

SoS – Ele – Burn Me, Freeze Me, Blind Me, Pound Me — Wait…What?
Warrior – The New Burninator! Strongbad would be so proud!
Guardian – Burn for you, heal for me, block for me and uh…sorry Im all out of gifts.

DarcShriek.5829

I disagree, the home instance can be quite useful if you are race other than the Asura . For example the Norn, Human and Charr home instances are full of vendors while the Sylvari have a repair NPC at the entrance. So with a Home Portal Stone you can easily sell junk or repair equipment.

The problem is that those benefits aren’t evenly spread across the races. So all that needs to be done is for the same number of vendor/repair/bank NPCs to be added for each race.

Another thing that should be done is to treat the home instances as a GW1 Hall of Monuments. Where visual evidence of achievements and story progression are displayed. They started doing that in the beginning by adding story NPCs to the home, but that kinda stopped. It would be nice to have stuff like banners of your Order on display, many more story NPCs, statues to commemorate those who denied during the Zhaitan campaign, etc…

There’s alot that can be done with the home instance.

It would be nice if they added a merchant to the Asura home instance as it has none now and all the other races do.

It was also be nice if they added access to my storage.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Sometimes ANet introduces ideas or concepts into the game, then decides for one reason or the other that they aren’t worth developing further.

What’s next? Delete all Tengu from the maps because they probably aren’t planning to release playable tengu anytime soon? (Though they ARE release more Canthan themed gem store items recently… hmmz … [/ot] )

Just because they don’t develop an idea doesn’t mean that idea should be deleted completely…..

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

Or after those PS parts in the Home Instance, make the Home Instance only accessible with that (currently rather useless) Home Instance Portal Stone thingy. Would increase the value of it (or still not).

Good idea btw removing all Tengu, Anet is not gonna develope that/them any further anyway.
GW2 needs a clean up!!
Remove all obsolete content and things that arent gonna be developed any further.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I sometimes wonder if people even bother engaging their brains before using their keyboard. Judging by the OP, I’m still left wondering.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sounds like you are being just being argumentative for no reason. Dumping the “Home Instance” doesn’t equate to deleting the Personal Story portions that involve said instance. Like all the other PS instances that we can’t return to after they are no longer needed, the home instance would become like the rest of them, etc.

I can’t say I see the point of ‘removing’ the Home Instance. Either ‘removing’ means omitting that part of the Personal Story, and/or ‘removing’ means deleting the areas from the map.

If the OP meant ‘locking’ the ability to enter the Home Instances, it would seem easier and more fair for him/her to just not enter said Home Instances. Others may find them entertaining or useful.

But, as far as I’ve been aware, at least in-game, ‘removing’ means something different to denying access. If not, I stand corrected.

Posted by: The Comfy Chair.7265

The Comfy Chair.7265

‘This isn’t all that useful at the moment for me, delete it please’ … wut?

I agree that the home instance is largely useless for most players, but why on earth would that mean it should be removed? Why would you ask a developer to put in work to remove something that has zero negative impact on the game at all for you, and has positive impact for others? Do you covet thy neighbours harvesting nodes or something? Haha.

On a different note, I’d like Anet to have a look at what Wildstar did with housing (probably the only truly fun thing in that game to me!) and absolutely rip it off. I’d love to be able to build a house in GW2! Provide me with an instant teleport to it in the UI and I’d be extremely happy.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I don’t know what the OP had planned for this thread originally but appears to have been abandoned.

My suggestion: please remove the the thread.

fixed

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

I use my home instance everyday. It’s got candy corn, sprockets, quartz, copper, gold, iron ore, soft wood, hard wood, green log, random plants, and cloth all to gather.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Another poorly explained/thought out thread.

Deleting/blocking entrance requires work for ANet and a reason for them to do it. OP has not given a good reason for his suggestion.

1) what about the portal stones they sold. Will people get a refund on that?
2) what about the nodes in the home instance, where will they go? They need to be either in an instance so they can be kept private (so ANet will have to find/make another instance, more work for them) or they need to be removed to another location and then modified so that people who haven’t paid for them, can’t access them. Currently if you invite someone into your home instance, those people can harvest the nodes there. They will need to be reworked to limit access then, as they can’t be free for everyone in the game if one person buys a gem store node and it’s put in a public spot.

Posted by: Capitol City.4856

Capitol City.4856

I don’t think the OP put any amount of research into the home instance, they just kind of felt like suggesting things in the forums. They still have responded to questions such as how removing it would benefit the game, or what we’d do about points in the story where we go to our home instance.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Sounds like you are being just being argumentative for no reason.

No his being facetious, you’re being argumentative, and OP… I’m not sure… by all accounts it looks like some odd knee jerk reaction (not uncommon on the forums), but given that it’s such a small and insignificant thing I’d have to guess he’s being nit-picky. Probably nothing else to complain about. Scrapping the bottom of the complaint barrel.

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

I agree with OP…
In that the story instances are useless to me… However there are people who have invested in the portal stone, the gathering nodes, and in doing the meta for the exclusive nodes that would probably disagree with me on how useful they are, so it is a safer bet to just ignore those areas if you don’t like them…
BTW blocking them completely doesn’t work either sense you need the instances for map completion.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

It appears you suggest things just to suggest them. After all, you give no clue as to what removing the home instance would fix. Please tell us how everyone would benefit from removing the home instance. In the meantime, if you really want the home instance removed, then I suggest you don’t use it. That way, for you at least, it will be effectively removed and the rest of us don’t have to suffer simply because you feel the need to make a suggestion.

Okay, I think we can retire the word “remove” now.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

DarcShriek.5829

Okay, I think we can retire the word “remove” now.

What’s your problem? Who hired you to track my writing skills? Is this how you convince yourself you’re smart?

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Slow down pal, I was just making a joke, no need to call the cops. I’m not even disagreeing with you, the word being used 4 times in 5 lines just sprung into my eye.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I agree that the Home Instance is unwieldy and I grumble every time I “have” to go there to harvest. I would like to look forward to going to my “Home” but right now it is just a chore. If I could personalize it that would be great.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I still want to know why Deputy Mira is standing on my bed in the Inn/bar.

DarcShriek.5829

She wants you.

RoseofGilead.8907

She wants you.

But I want to sleep! Alone!

DarcShriek.5829

Apparently she left the grail lamp on and needs to be spanked.

RoseofGilead.8907

Apparently she left the grail lamp on and needs to be spanked.

Oh, that wicked, bad, naughty Zoot. I mean, Mira.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Have you tried changing your game settings? NPCs will often lie down after doing so.

Good luck.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Garbage idea, but that’s ok because it’s not gonna happen.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I do not wish to see the Home Instance removed. I’m much rather see it expanded and include more things. For the Home Portal Stone, if it worked party wide, I believe it would encourage Home Instance use more. I know I would buy one if this function was added to it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.