Dungeon Arah perm closed due to farmers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

It would be a better world of more people had empathy.

I was bullied pretty severely in high school. Well, that’s not entirely true… They tried to bully me severely in high school. I didn’t care for a second, and most degrading comments were countered by an even more degrading one.

Don’t get me wrong, bullying in schools and at work is a big problem, and should be dealt with, because I know not everyone can handle it the way I did (my brother for example struggled for years). But I don’t care for bullying over the internet (and especially on MMORPGS), because there is nothing that is avoided more easily than that, and the opinion of an unknown individual who acts like a 12 year old is not something you should care about, nor let it get to you.

It would be a better world if more people stopped caring about pointless stuff.

Being bullied is high school is lousy. But it’s being bullied/abused at a much younger age, during your formative years, that often leads to serious problems like the ones I’m talking about. You’re you. You’re the only you. And it’s nice that you can just turn off that part of you that separates online from the real world. I can too.

Many people can’t, and I feel sympathy for those people because they can’t.

I actually disagree with the being bullied earlier messing you up more. In elementary school, I was bullied pretty hardcore. Not just verbally, but physically. By the time I hit late middle school, I started to identify what was causing the bullying and dealt with it. I changed schools in 9th grade and had a fresh start. A combination of dealing with the personal problems that caused the bullying, combined with becoming more physically active, changed my highschool experience entirely (in comparison).

The thing was, there were other students who went to my highschool who were not so lucky. They got picked on then and it was devastating. Everyone that I knew who had been picked on in some way during elementary or middle school, but not in highschool, came out without too terribly many anger issues and generally went on to have fulfilling relationships. But those who got bullied in highschool had it FAR worse. Many had anger issues, and most had great difficulty settling into relationships and were generally awkward in social settings.

To this day, I swear that being bullied in highschool is far FAR worse than elementary/middle school. The damage that I’ve personally seen done to individuals who were generally good people, just socially awkward, was horrendous. And yet some of the most successful (socially and professionally) people I’ve met went through some form of early years bullying.

Not really pertinent to the original topic, but I just thought I’d share my opinion.

Posted by: crestpiemangler.7631

crestpiemangler.7631

Same goes for Elementary school actually, but it was a bit less. Europe can be really racist when your dad is middle eastern and your last name is basically the n-word but for people from Northern Africa and the Middle east.

Now, my childhood aside, I still don’t think that equating a bunch of numbnuts in a zerg who are harassing you a little bit to bullying is correct. Because it’s exactly that: harassment, not bullying. Therefor, I have no sympathy for people who feel bullied by a zerg. Especially since there is a plethora of ways to get rid of it. Turn map chat off, switch servers, go do something else, etc.

Not saying the zergers who verbally abuse players for wanting to complete the event are right, I’m just saying that the people who complain about it aren’t right either, because they can be the bigger person and just ignore it. Running to Anet crying that their feelings got hurt is just pathetic tbh. Call it victim blaming all you want, I think both sides are equally immature.

This community is bad enough as it is. Games like LoL had to introduce drastic measures like the tribunal, because the average mob in any game online game nowadays is about as civil and intelligent as a mob of spider monkeys.

The only thing people understand is the jeopardy of their own interests.

I think these abominations that plague online games like GW2 and LoL need to have a culling of their own to force the adaptation of todays youth to some kind of moral standard, because it is obvious that they collectively have none.

Ever since the common man has entered the online arena, he has brought it down to his level. I have no sympathy for cowards who use their position to harm others for sadistic satisfaction.

Most people are bad. It’s why laws were created in the first place and why law enforcement is needed.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Being bullied is high school is lousy. But it’s being bullied/abused at a much younger age, during your formative years, that often leads to serious problems like the ones I’m talking about. You’re you. You’re the only you. And it’s nice that you can just turn off that part of you that separates online from the real world. I can too.

Same goes for Elementary school actually, but it was a bit less. Europe can be really racist when your dad is middle eastern and your last name is basically the n-word but for people from Northern Africa and the Middle east.

Now, my childhood aside, I still don’t think that equating a bunch of numbnuts in a zerg who are harassing you a little bit to bullying is correct. Because it’s exactly that: harassment, not bullying. Therefor, I have no sympathy for people who feel bullied by a zerg. Especially since there is a plethora of ways to get rid of it. Turn map chat off, switch servers, go do something else, etc.

Not saying the zergers who verbally abuse players for wanting to complete the event are right, I’m just saying that the people who complain about it aren’t right either, because they can be the bigger person and just ignore it. Running to Anet crying that their feelings got hurt is just pathetic tbh. Call it victim blaming all you want, I think both sides are equally immature.

Listen to what you’re saying here…be the bigger person. I commend you that you are able to do this, and not feel keenly when someone treats you badly (I can do this too) but some people really are more sensitive and they can’t turn it on and off like a switch. As I said before, some people react to abuse by becoming “harder” and some people react to abuse by becoming more sensitive….no one knows why.

So if they aren’t as good as you because you can, they don’t deserve sympathy? Maybe you’re more affected by that abuse than you think.

Vayne.8563

I was bullied pretty severely in high school. Well, that’s not entirely true… They tried to bully me severely in high school. I didn’t care for a second, and most degrading comments were countered by an even more degrading one.

Don’t get me wrong, bullying in schools and at work is a big problem, and should be dealt with, because I know not everyone can handle it the way I did (my brother for example struggled for years). But I don’t care for bullying over the internet (and especially on MMORPGS), because there is nothing that is avoided more easily than that, and the opinion of an unknown individual who acts like a 12 year old is not something you should care about, nor let it get to you.

I actually disagree with the being bullied earlier messing you up more. In elementary school, I was bullied pretty hardcore. Not just verbally, but physically. By the time I hit late middle school, I started to identify what was causing the bullying and dealt with it. I changed schools in 9th grade and had a fresh start. A combination of dealing with the personal problems that caused the bullying, combined with becoming more physically active, changed my highschool experience entirely (in comparison).

The thing was, there were other students who went to my highschool who were not so lucky. They got picked on then and it was devastating. Everyone that I knew who had been picked on in some way during elementary or middle school, but not in highschool, came out without too terribly many anger issues and generally went on to have fulfilling relationships. But those who got bullied in highschool had it FAR worse. Many had anger issues, and most had great difficulty settling into relationships and were generally awkward in social settings.

To this day, I swear that being bullied in highschool is far FAR worse than elementary/middle school. The damage that I’ve personally seen done to individuals who were generally good people, just socially awkward, was horrendous. And yet some of the most successful (socially and professionally) people I’ve met went through some form of early years bullying.

Not really pertinent to the original topic, but I just thought I’d share my opinion.

I’m not making this stuff up. I was involved in a project for people who suffered early abuse (particularly sexual abuse) and the currently thinking is the younger you’re abused, and the more people who are involved, the worse it hits you later in life. There are quite a few papers that suggest this is true (though it can’t be proven of course).

Everyone is different and reacts differently. No one person’s experiences will be the same as anyone else’s, which is WHY I talk tolerance. You never know what someone else has been through.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m not making this stuff up. I was involved in a project for people who suffered early abuse (particularly sexual abuse) and the currently thinking is the younger you’re abused, and the more people who are involved, the worse it hits you later in life. There are quite a few papers that suggest this is true (though it can’t be proven of course).

Everyone is different and reacts differently. No one person’s experiences will be the same as anyone else’s, which is WHY I talk tolerance. You never know what someone else has been through.

Woah, now. There is a HUGE, HUUUUUUUGE difference between simple bullying and sexual assault. It’s like comparing getting kicked in the shin to getting shot in the face. I’m talking BULLYING here, not kitten .

Vayne.8563

Woah, now. There is a HUGE, HUUUUUUUGE difference between simple bullying and sexual assault. It’s like comparing getting kicked in the shin to getting shot in the face. I’m talking BULLYING here, not kitten .

Right, so you meet someone in game, they react to name calling. Do you know if they were sexually abused as a child? We just assume everyone has the same issues we do, but people react for different reasons. Being sexually abused as a child (and it happens far more frequently than people know) is a real issue, and people with that issue are playing this game. We just don’t know what people have been through.

It’s why I choose to be sympathetic. Because I know I don’t know.\

Edit: There are also studies that show that people who suffered sexual abuse as a child are more prone to being bullied later in life.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Pretty much what this lovely argument boils down to is everyone is different. Some people are more sensitive than others. Some people have more issues than others. Some people, simple name calling can trigger terrible memories that they don’t want to deal with, while for others it just rolls off their shoulders and they don’t care. It all underscores that we. are. all. different. Period. You don’t know their life, they don’t know yours.

As such, we simple need to be more tolerant of other people and their needs/desires. You would expect that common courtesy from them, so you should repay it in kind. I’m not saying you have to like them. I’m not saying you have to baby them. I am simply saying, to have some respect for them as a person. Their thoughts, desires, goals. You have them too. Put yourself in their shoes, and imagine being treated in a fashion that would bother you. You don’t like it either.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I’m not saying that verbal abuse can’t be a problem (although you’d have to give me a pretty extreme situation before I’ll admit it is one),

So what you’re saying is that abuse isn’t real from A to X, but maybe, if you’re feeling generous, there might be an arbitrary line in the sand at Y and Z and crossing it is sort of bad.

That does not work.Treating others like trash should never be okay. It does not take extreme situations, it does not even take being a target yourself. Constant low-key disregard for your humanity can be enough, and seeing others who are close to you or who are like you abused can be enough. Also, “extreme” situations do not arise out of a vacuum. Abusive behavior escalates from “little” things to more extreme ones, and the longer it is tolerated or even actively excused and enabled, the harder it becomes to stop those people. After all, why should they stop what they always got away with and were even lauded for?

It doesn’t matter crap that it’s “just the internet” or “just a game”. People are people, whether you can look them in the eye or not.

It might be victim blaming, but honestly, if you really get your feelings hurt by anonymous people (mostly kids aged 12-18 probably) that are spewing badly worded insults at you in a game, you don’t deserve sympathy, but you need some therapy, because you have insecurity issues.

Yes, textbook victim blaming. Where do “insecurity issues” come from? Gee, maybe from being considered a valid target of abuse basically from the moment you’re born? Maybe from no one ever standing up for you or helping you stand up for yourself? Maybe from being abused even worse for the slightest attempt at fighting back or establishing boundaries? Maybe from even the people who are legally responsive for you treating you as the problem instead of the bullies and worse-than-bullies? Instead of expecting basic decency from everyone, let’s just keep aiding and abetting the worst of society while shoving all the emotional and financial cost of abuse onto the victims. If they can’t get therapy for any reason, or help themselves, too bad, they shouldn’t have been such pathetic weaklings in the first place.

That’s not the kind of society I want to keep living in. That certainly is not the kind of game environment I want to spend free time in. I’m glad that this company at least tries to enforce some very basic standards of decent behavior.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-snip-

It really doesn’t matter what you say, s/he is not going to listen. Like so many others, s/he does not see anything wrong. People are being too sensitive, too touchy, whatever. Admittedly society has gotten far too squeamish over time, but there are certain things that should never be tolerated – like the total lack of basic decency.

And thus, now you see why I pretty much to ascribe to the belief that humanity pretty much sucks. There is no hope for us…

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I sense the nerf bat coming

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

If there were more places to get these drops regularly these issues wouldn’t exist, the hostility wouldn’t exist and players would be busy playing the game..

But no…this whole game revolves around some pointless economy.. to such a point no one can get anything easily anymore.

So players are forced into exploiting to get what they need, yes the hostility sucks but the game mechanics brought everyone to this point.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“But no…this whole game revolves around some pointless economy.. to such a point no one can get anything easily anymore.”

Almost everything is easy to get. Players set their goal on the most difficult thing possible (just because it is rare and difficult) then complain how the game doesn’t give it to them easily.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

So players are forced into exploiting to get what they need, yes the hostility sucks but the game mechanics brought everyone to this point.

runs a few laps in the pavilion I don’t get it. You get T6, lodestones, yellows, an occasional exotic, free magic find buff and quite a few G an hour from greens alone, but you have to exploit an event? Talk with me after the pavilion closes, maybe then you’ll have a point.

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

Go complete events start event completing zergs lol at there complaining play the game how you want as long isn’t against theToS.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Who’d have guessed? Never before have players tried to exploit in order to gain gold…

What’s sad is how exploiting in this game has become the norm. I think it’s because the devs implicitly support this kind of behavior.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

All dungeons should be open without having an event to open them.

Arah is always open. The waypoint may be contested but the dungeon isn’t closed. You can always enter it by running from the next waypoint over. I’ve done it several times now.

The statement was “all”, Vayne. Don’t be dense. When the event is running, CoE is locked until you complete the event and kill the champ at the center (which was quite fun with just 5 people).
As for running to Arah, yeah. If someone has a dungeon group ready, running from Medler’s to the Arah entrance isn’t all that difficult.

As I’ve said in a number of other threads. If a zerg is full of folks being tools because someone outside their precious farm wants to complete an event, get a few friends and complete the event anyway, then report them if they get bent and start harassing you.
There are good farming groups out there that will help you complete an event or get a skill point if you need it, but people need to report the bad ones. If the Anchorage event is up, the zerg is going to be busy fighting their champions. Get a couple friends and complete the event out from under them by taking out the cauldrons.
It would be cordial if you ask first in map if they will help you complete the event. If you get flak over it, then move in for the completion on your own. The zone isn’t a PvP zone, so it’s not like they can kill you for trying. Worst they can do is not rez you if you are downed, or verbally harass you in chat, which is reportable.

Don’t run to the forums. Ask nicely, and if they give you trouble, force their hand. Might get some of these idiots removed from the game. They are an embarrassment to their server as well as the community in general.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

-snip-

It really doesn’t matter what you say, s/he is not going to listen. Like so many others, s/he does not see anything wrong. People are being too sensitive, too touchy, whatever. Admittedly society has gotten far too squeamish over time, but there are certain things that should never be tolerated – like the total lack of basic decency.

And thus, now you see why I pretty much to ascribe to the belief that humanity pretty much sucks. There is no hope for us…

I’m indeed not going to listen. My SO also thinks that my views on verbal abuse are way too extreme, and because I don’t care about pretty much anything, I don’t see why other people should. This is a very narrow view, which I realize, but it’s a way better way to live your life than caring about stupid stuff imo. And I’ve thought this way since I was like 8-9 years old, so it’s pretty hard to change that.

That aside, it’s not that I don’t see nothing wrong. I can see that the people spewing insults are wrong, but I personally think that the people complaining about them are equally wrong for being so immature about it. I honestly don’t see why you would let some morons get to you, you don’t benefit from it, it only makes your day bad. So why bother with it… I don’t think the people insulting are right, nor do I think the people whining about them are right. I think both sides are a bunch of immature morons who take this game way too seriously.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-snip-

I’m indeed not going to listen. My SO also thinks that my views on verbal abuse are way too extreme, and because I don’t care about pretty much anything, I don’t see why other people should. This is a very narrow view, which I realize, but it’s a way better way to live your life than caring about stupid stuff imo. And I’ve thought this way since I was like 8-9 years old, so it’s pretty hard to change that.

That aside, it’s not that I don’t see nothing wrong. I can see that the people spewing insults are wrong, but I personally think that the people complaining about them are equally wrong for being so immature about it. I honestly don’t see why you would let some morons get to you, you don’t benefit from it, it only makes your day bad. So why bother with it… I don’t think the people insulting are right, nor do I think the people whining about them are right. I think both sides are a bunch of immature morons who take this game way too seriously.

You’re correct, it is a very narrow view, and while its fine that nothing bothers you, everyone is not you. Your view blatantly disregards everyone elses’ feelings, essentially relegating them to worthlessness because to you, obviously they are ‘too serious.’

You admit that you see these things as being wrong, yet you lack the empathic connection most people possess to want to make it better. Not all people, mind you, some of us are heartless kittens that just don’t give a flying….

Anyway…unfortunately a lot of the derogatory, terrible behavior we see in the game exists outside of it as well. It is not just an issue in the game; the game merely reflects the disease growing within our society. By saying ‘oh its just a game, shake it off’ we are essentially saying that this behavior is ok when in fact it is not. It does not matter that this reinforcement is only ‘in a game’ it is still reinforcement of the mentality, which is going to carry back to real life. By trying to ignore it, we are in a sense feeding the monster we are trying to ignore, when we should be euthanizing it instead.

Still, I don’t know why I bothered, you’re just going to ignore me anyway

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

The waypoint is contested but you can still enter Arah dungeon. Seriously go look.