Dungeon Runners: How do you Earn Gold now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

With the dungeon reward nerds how do you make gold now? Since parties for dungeon running are harder to find – some would say non-existent, how do you make your liquid gold now? I’ve heard that the move of rewards from dungeons to fractals wasn’t exactly sufficient. I’m assuming raids gold isn’t exactly that quick or easy to obtain either.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I find that I no longer earn gold, but I spend it instead.

Sincerely,

A Pre-HoT-Rich-Guy

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Free yourself of the myth you need it.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Loan-sharking.

Need to make some new ascended gear? I might be able to help you out.

Posted by: MPDoughty.8350

MPDoughty.8350

I do erotic roleplay for hire. It’s not the most dignified profession, but my alts can’t feed themselves.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

…dungeon reward nerds …

I’ve sometimes thought it but I’ve never said it!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

^ now does grammar and spell checks for gold.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Currently, gold is something that happens to others, not me.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Kythan Myr.4719

…dungeon reward nerds …

I’m thinking that was either an error on my part, auto-correct, or possibly a Freudian slip?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

…dungeon reward nerds …

I’m thinking that was either an error on my part, auto-correct, or possibly a Freudian slip?

I was going with each of them as well. A chance of all three maybe?

:)

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Farming mats (either to use or sell) is way more efficient than farming gold…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Mostly, I sell scribing mats from the HoT zones. It isn’t much, but it pays for waypoints.

Luckily, I don’t have any majorly expensive projects in mind right now, which of course, helps.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Mostly I just do whatever to get gold.

#1: HoT map meta events. These net a surprising amount of cash. The map specific currencies can also be used to buy things like Auric Keys and Chak Acid, which net more cash. It doesn’t matter which one you pick, either.

#2: Gathering. A lot of basic materials have gone up in price. Elder wood logs are two silver now, and those things are everywhere. Aside from that, flax is still a good thing to gather, as is any ores not named silver, gold, or mithril.

#3: Dry Top. Coarse Sand is valuable, and you get a lot of it doing events there. Also you can buy keys to open chests for extra stuff, so that works there, too. Also quartz is valuable, as are the things you can craft with quartz like Ley-Line tools.

#4: Silverwastes. I don’t really go there, but it is still good for cash.

#5: Treasure Mushrooms. Yes, the chances of getting the invisible shoes is nill, but if you do get it, hello 1500 gold.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Kythan Myr.4719

So, from what I understand there is nothing really new (perhaps new markets for mats but those will stabilize eventually). Just the old list for making gold minus the dungeon runs. So if I get this right basically it’s SW and world bosses until those get nerfed too.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I earn my gold slowly and through the grace and favour of RNGesus.

Completing the lower tiers of fractal dailies is good for about 2 gold from trophies, and another 50s – 3g worth of loot.

SW is decent, and refreshingly streamlined and accessible compared to the clusterkitten that makes up the HoT maps.

The best farming is basically out in the open world now, as recent changes have made gathering a lot more rewarding now. Map rewards can be lucrative as well. Cursed Shore offered a solid package of Giant Eyes, Charged cores and lodestones this week.

After all of this farming and gathering Ascended crafting will likely be your bread and butter.

None of this is even remotely close to the former goodness of dungeons, but you can get by.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

By running 2/3 ’s more dungeons.

Posted by: Cayenne.5341

Cayenne.5341

How does one make money from world bosses? I never found my rewards enough to make up for the fact that for some bosses you have to camp the map to be in a successful tep or whatever fight.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

If I really wanted gold I’d just spam dungeons I guess. The quick paths still beat everything else in the game.

People need to realize that SE 1 can be done in literally 5-10 min.

Posted by: BBMouse.6510

BBMouse.6510

I can give you numbers from my own experience. I sold most of stuff pre-hot, spent them, and left only ~10 gold for HOT to be begin with. One month later today since HOT I am at ~100G. So it’s like an average of 2-3G/day. I used to do casual pug dungeon runs and had around 10-12G/day. This means It’s gonna take x4 amount of time to make an ascended armor set, so time gate is not really an issue to me because I have less gold. And yeah even the casuals aim for top gears because it’s the default incentive (if nothing else) for any rpg game.

I finished map completion for my chars. These have been what I do for 2-4 hours every night in pve casually (watch TV at the same time XD).
1. tarr meta (play only once or no play, but can fail due to me needing to go afk during it and actually failed twice so far)
2. ds meta (play only once or no play, but can fail due to me needing to go afk, actually failed once, or map bug that happened twice so far)
3. daily 50-100 fractal (I often do 1 fractal so not always daily 3/3)
4. some old world boss

I don’t do raid due to it’s not generally easy to pug for many reasons. I don’t do dungeon due to it’s known to be in-efficient to make gold now and not many people on lfg to pug anyway. I don’t wvw ‘cause the people I knew and played with are not there any more. Either they change server, not playing gw2, or use chars I don’t recognize (game is 3 years old, it’s hard to recognize someone if you don’t purposely remember their account names). The desert map is not bad if it was released earlier while there was huge wvw population, and adding glider in it might be nice too. I don’t pvp ’cause it can get too excited and make me lose sleep and affect work.

I generally play gw2 for it’s combat systems for different builds. Fractal kind of limit this because of needing AR on gears so I only use 1 character who has enough AR to run it. Big fights like boss / meta generally requires pressing 1 and skill lags don’t let you do much sometimes. Mid fights like raid requires time to assemble team and begging people to play with. Small fights like hp needs to beg people too if no one else was doing it. So I have not tried many builds due to nowhere to apply them XD. Dungeon was the best place to fulfill multi-purpose in one run, but I wouldn’t miss it if there are other places to explore.

So I put down all my HOT experience as a casual to those who are interested. I do not treat it as an expansion, more like a new addition to a franchise. Like it’s gw3 while we inherit items from gw2. While there are many areas to improve, it’s generally fun.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

I make sure to bend over and lower myself into HoT’s hard maps hoping to get some nice drops during the meta like black diamonds only to realize I’m too much of a hoarder to sell them because I want to make a few sets of armor.

Oh and I pound away at fractals every day till I’m done for the day. Waiting for those fractal changes that supposedly will provide better rewards.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Scribing materials. Soft wood logs hit 7.3 silvers last week… maybe even more. That was something like 2-4g per hour, which isn’t too bad when dungeons took 20-40 mins. Correct me if I’m wrong about the run time, though – it’s been a while since I’ve done them, and with the update I probably won’t be going back until one with cooler skins comes out. =/

Edit: I made some money that way, but I’m not one of those people who is patient enough to mat farm regularly. I don’t advise it in long stints if you aren’t that kind of person either!

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Wood log farming is really good but gets boring after a few days.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Mats, both gathering and crafting.

For gathering, you generally want to target the level 15-25 maps. Soft Wood and Iron are selling for ridiculous prices these days and you can make an easy 10 gold per hour just running from node to node while watching TV or something. When selling them, check plank prices, too, since it can actually be a bit more profitable to upgrade them before selling — but not always, and not for every mat, which is who you have to check the TP first.

The other thing you can do is craft up some Ascended mats: Bolts of Damask, Elonian Leather Squares, Deldrimor Steel Ingots, and Spirtwood Planks go for quite a bit more than the component materials thanks to time gating, so if you aren’t saving them up for your own gear, it can be worth it to craft one each day and then sell it. Even if you have to get the non-time-gated materials via the TP, you’ll still make money off of everyone else’s impatience.

If you want some gold + Maguuma Masteries XP + map currencies + HoT account-bound mats, then the HoT meta-events are pretty spectacular, but they aren’t worth running for the gold alone. You’re really just hoping for a good drop, and those don’t happen every time.

And, you know, dungeons are still around. If you stick to the easy dungeon paths, they’re still worth the time investment, albeit barely. You generally have to wait longer to get into a group, but if you put the time to use harvesting mats while you wait, you still actually have pretty good gold-to-time ratios.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Wood log farming is really good but gets boring after a few days.

lol I bet it does.