Dungeon nerf

Dungeon nerf

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Hey all, I’m kinda bummed about the dungeon gold nerf as me and my friends used to duo arah alot and sometimes sell the extra slots, But do you think dungeon selling was part of anets motivation to nerf the rewards? or is it something an economist would have to explain about the influx of gold entering the hands of players through grinding dungeons?

Me and my friends enjoyed arah alot, it was challenging and rewarding to duo or 3 man, Yet i find myself at a loss of things to do, because i’m not huge into running with the boss train zergs, and i’ve essentially grinded out everything i’ve needed as far as mastery points go in HoT. (to me) it was a depressing part of the update, although i do look forward to raiding. anyways, enough moaning, does anyone know what anet’s motivation was behind nerfing dungeons?

TLDR: dungeon rewards nerfed very sad.

The dungeons are still there if you want to play for fun. You still get tokens….so there’s that.

Anet didn’t like their dungeons. They’ve been trying to move away from them for some time. I don’t think arah was the only reason, but I’m sure they weren’t exited by people spending 8 hrs a day selling runs.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Dungeons are hard to make, and the developers are inept or don’t care about them. They can’t fix bugs that have been in some dungeons since launch. But it’s ok I’m not a programmer and I don’t care if they get fixed or not I still enjoy running dungeons even with flaws.

They have tried to make content to get people into doing other things while plenty of players have requested more dungeons over the years. I preferred dank o’l Ascalon Catacombs to the boring Scarlet story arch and Season 2. Never mind the gold rewards.

They know that the only way to get people to buy HOT during it’s initial release (when it is critical that they sell the most copies) is to make the core game less rewarding or appealing that’s why they packaged it together, to make HOT appear more like a full game. There’s actually better ways to make money than running dungeons. It’s just an excuse to get people to want to pay $50.00 for the $20.00 worth of game that HOT actually is.

Ultimately Anet and NC Soft want to make money and they want you to play the game their way as much as possible for marketing purposes. They know that if people can make enough in game gold to convert to gems they are losing sales.

Words like “economist” and “inflation” are used to make their decisions sound more important than they actually are. It’s just a game if all the servers melted tomorrow life would go on.

I am simply waiting for a better alternative to GW2, I don’t play it as frequently as I used to. I do not expect that this game will rebound and be better than it was when it first launched because for what few faults it had at that time it was the best game available. They really didn’t have an end game thought out too well after all the maps were explored and all the dungeons were ran there’s not much to do. Every time they have tried to do something about this it’s met with mixed reviews much like what I am seeing with HOT so far.

(edited by MastaNeenja.1537)

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

Now I haven’t done a lot of dungeons, but I am curious.

What was the gold reward like before, and what is it like now?

…I will say that John Smith was absolutely clear about the fact that it wasn’t an issue of the gold; he did outright state that it was to encourage people to move away from running dungeons.

Assuming one, such as myself, does not have Heart of Thorns – where does he want us to move to?

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

So Mr. Smith doesn’t want me to play dungeons. Fine. So I want him fired already. The only good thing he did was that CDI thread not long ago from which nothing came out for a change. And HoT proves it! For 3 years all we see is same old ways of adjusting his crazy economic ideas. Give me teh shinies. This is why I pay and play for. Excitement. Hire someone better already!

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

(edited by Etien.4601)

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

ANET’s economist, John Smith, said that it was to de-incentivize dungeons. In other words, it was to make people not want to play dungeon content. Their dungeon team was disbanded long ago, and now they want people to focus on HoT content. I agree that it’s sad, by the way.

Yeah, it’s sad that new players in the future may never really get to do dungeons or even have a shot at completing those achievements because no one is really playing them. I believe there could have been a better way to handle it than take away the reward. Frankly, giving good rewards and pumping out new fractals would have likely been incentive enough to do other things along with the dungeons.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

…I will say that John Smith was absolutely clear about the fact that it wasn’t an issue of the gold; he did outright state that it was to encourage people to move away from running dungeons.

Assuming one, such as myself, does not have Heart of Thorns – where does he want us to move to?

ANET would like both of us to purchase Heart of Thorns.

ETA: I went looking, and it appears that gold and experience rewards were reduced by between 50-66% in dungeons, though it varies depending on the dungeon. It also sounds like the dungeon tokens were reduced, as well.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

fractals.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Given the stated goal was to reduce dungeon use, my guess is that this was a path of least resistance thing. They could have removed dungeons completely, except for the story modes, which they would have left in for story purposes. However, they realized they’d have to either: do a bunch of work to replace the dungeon token requirements for legacy Legendary weapons and endure the probable kitten-storm about that; or leave the token requirement but have them available only via PvP tracks, and endure the kitten-storm about that. Reducing the gold rewards was easy. The only “coding” involved was changing numbers in tables.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I think it’s funny that they nerf things when players find the path of least resistance but they get to do it themselves lol.

Its all about marketing. They really don’t want people to run dungeons because they can’t market that as easily.

Also I think the base of players that can actually run dungeons efficiently must be pretty small. I chose the words in that last sentence words carefully.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: EnterTheTITAN.3570

EnterTheTITAN.3570

So after grinding and farming really boring content for the past 2 months, I finally got my 4th warrior alt looking exactly the way I’ve envisioned him. I wanna show him off of course. Best place to do that? Dungeons. There’s fighting action where I can show off my knowledge of how to play the game right, and there’s also a few standing around parts where my fellow party members can check out my cool gear. And then there’s the 1g reward waiting for me too – so my time isn’t wasted! Yay for dungeons!

Except…I finish my run and there’s no more gold, just…scraps?

I was wondering why it took 30 minutes to finally find a pug to join. A quick google search reveals this thread.

I cannot believe this hasn’t got more of an outcry? Aren’t you guys angry? I mean, dungeons were one of the best parts of the game. Plus you kinda need them for Legendary or Spirit Shard weapon forging. (And please dont suggest PvP because that is ridiculously time gated).

I’m just flabbergasted that 1) aNet took this stance about one of the funnest parts of the game and 2) no one really seems that upset about it?

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

So after grinding and farming really boring content for the past 2 months, I finally got my 4th warrior alt looking exactly the way I’ve envisioned him. I wanna show him off of course. Best place to do that? Dungeons. There’s fighting action where I can show off my knowledge of how to play the game right, and there’s also a few standing around parts where my fellow party members can check out my cool gear. And then there’s the 1g reward waiting for me too – so my time isn’t wasted! Yay for dungeons!

Except…I finish my run and there’s no more gold, just…scraps?

I was wondering why it took 30 minutes to finally find a pug to join. A quick google search reveals this thread.

I cannot believe this hasn’t got more of an outcry? Aren’t you guys angry? I mean, dungeons were one of the best parts of the game. Plus you kinda need them for Legendary or Spirit Shard weapon forging. (And please dont suggest PvP because that is ridiculously time gated).

I’m just flabbergasted that 1) aNet took this stance about one of the funnest parts of the game and 2) no one really seems that upset about it?

Less time gated then dungeons and there was an outcry people just have cried enough and dont bother to keep doing it.

You can still do it for 33s instead of the 1 gold if you want but most people dont want to since the 77s extra was the only reason they seem to have stomaked dungeons.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The dungeon rewards were out of line with other rewards, HoT or Not.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

Using any excuse to nerf the F2P player in order to push them into the paid for content.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: EnterTheTITAN.3570

EnterTheTITAN.3570

Plus you kinda need them for Legendary or Spirit Shard weapon forging. (And please dont suggest PvP because that is ridiculously time gated). .

Less time gated then dungeons and there was an outcry people just have cried enough and dont bother to keep doing it.

I knew someone was going to bring up pvp tokens, so I preemptively tried to point out the flaw in that argument, someone still ignored the facts:

You have to wait weeks and weeks if the tokens you need are not in the current dungeon reward track, unless you’ve unlocked the track. Which you need to do … by running the dungeon.

Right now I need the Honor of the Waves dungeon tokens for Frostfang. Please tell me how having to wait SEVEN WEEKS for the correct PvP dungeon path to open is somehow less than the 3 days it would take to get 500 tokens running the dungeon. Oh – and that doesn’t even count the hours and hours of gameplay needed to get 500 tokens from PvP – and I’m talking even if you just run daily pvp maps over and over for the guaranteed quick points.

If I’m going to have to run HoTW story mode to unlock the PvP, I might as will just run the dungeon since it is by far a faster way to earn tokens. But now that is almost the only incentive to do them, so the time / effort / reward is no longer balanced.

Which reminds me – i have no clue why some of you are saying dungeon gold was too much. Do you know how much it used to be? 1g for a path per account per day is a fraction of what you used to be able to make running dungeons. It had already been hard nerfed to the point where it was just barely enough to make people still wanna run, and is not even close to how much gold/hour you can make farming almost anywhere else. (Thus why I haven’t run a dungeon in a few months since i needed money fast as possible.) Which – btw – you can now make about the same amount of gold per hour doing SW all day as what you used to be able to do running dungeons all day. Nerf SW loot incoming?

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Using any excuse to nerf the F2P player in order to push them into the paid for content.

That doesn’t really make sense does it? People are going to take $50 and buy HoT because they dungeons rewards were balanced? I don’t think anyone is really that stupid to be frank.

Dungeon nerf

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

That doesn’t really make sense does it? People are going to take $50 and buy HoT because they dungeons rewards were balanced? I don’t think anyone is really that stupid to be frank.

Doesn’t make sense really? Did I say this nerf alone was going to make people buy an overrated, overpriced expansion? Read up on what F2P players can and can’t do then get back to me.