Dungeons......

Dungeons......

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I have a question. Where was it confirmed that Anet does not care about dungeons no more?

Cuz I’ve been thinking…………Even if Anet manages to fix Fractals then what? How the heck will Anet add new fractals in low/high levels? They would have to take some fractals out or replace them or whatever.

Why not simply make new dungeons?

Dungeons......

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

They don’t have a dungeon team any more. The head dungeon guy was laid off a long time ago and the remainder of the team was folded into the Living Story teams.

(And now that I read what I wrote, it sounds like the punchline for a bad joke).

Dungeons......

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It has never been “confirmed”. That is just something players spout when they don’t feel like they’re getting enough attention.

That said, dungeons aren’t getting as much immediate attention as other areas in the game. For several reasons:

#1: Low returns. There were times when certain dungeons were redone (Ascalon Catacombs, Twilight Arbor), and these revisions received mixed reviews and little to no response out of the playerbase. Nearly every expansion done to dungeons has turned out to be a flop.
#2: High work load. Reworking dungeons actually takes quite the time, especially for such low returns. Anet would rather work on new content than revise the old. Revising the old can be quite difficult because
#3: Highly exploitable. All of the dungeons were designed by aesthetics first, and function later This has lead to every dungeon having countless places to snag enemies, glitch bosses, skip content, etc. Because of this, going back into each dungeon and fixing every little problem has been an unending problem.
#4: Less than stellar community. The dungeon community is the source of a lot of hostility in the PVE game. Arguably most of it. Working on the dungeons is empowering the more destructive sides of the community. The way dungeons are being run now is not how they were designed to be, and there is a resentment between players and devs there.

As far as fractals go, there’s never been any official statement as far as I know, but basically yeah the devs will replace old fractals with new ones when they release more.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Dungeons......

Posted by: KhanKatir.4038

KhanKatir.4038

As far as fractals go, there’s never been any official statement as far as I know, but basically yeah the devs will replace old fractals with new ones when they release more.

“It has never been “confirmed”. That is just something players spout when they don’t feel like they’re getting enough attention.”

Dungeons......

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

at least , when they nerfed the gold, buff the amount of token received instead….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Dungeons......

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

#4: Less than stellar community. The dungeon community is the source of a lot of hostility in the PVE game. Arguably most of it. Working on the dungeons is empowering the more destructive sides of the community. The way dungeons are being run now is not how they were designed to be, and there is a resentment between players and devs there.

If this were the case, what do you think the rationale behind adding raids was? The raiding community is more toxic than the dungeon community ever was and I’ll happily admit that segments of the dungeon community were plenty toxic. While I agree with most of your other points, I don’t think this one is credible. There are plenty of reasons why Anet is trying to socially engineer players out of Dungeons but I don’t think dislike for the community is one of them.

Dungeons......

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

If this were the case, what do you think the rationale behind adding raids was? The raiding community is more toxic than the dungeon community ever was and I’ll happily admit that segments of the dungeon community were plenty toxic. While I agree with most of your other points, I don’t think this one is credible. There are plenty of reasons why Anet is trying to socially engineer players out of Dungeons but I don’t think dislike for the community is one of them.

Look carefully at how raids are designed. They avoid many of the mistakes that dungeons made. They’re all gigantic basic arenas that focus almost exclusively on bosses. Nothing to snag enemies on, harder to exploit, nothing to skip. Can only be done once a week to prevent farming. Solid gates that prevent you from progressing.

Likewise, raids were added so Anet could say GW2 has raids. It is one of those expectations that the world put on MMOs that has been plaguing Anet for years. They’ve been beating around the bush for years as well, trying to come up with ways to add raid-like content while still being different and open to other players, such as updating Tequatl and making Triple Trouble. It just wasn’t satisfactory for players. After so long with having players turn away because they think MMO = Raids, Anet finally caved on their ideals and said “Fine, we’ll give you raids”.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Dungeons......

Posted by: Defiling Treekiller.1632

Defiling Treekiller.1632

The economist dude said that the rewards were being reduced to make dungeons less attractive as a gold source. look for his post from a week or 2 before the release of HoT