Dungeons Irrelevant because of Ascended Gear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This is my greatest issue with the implementation of ascended gear. Now, instead of being able to play end-game content and get the best armor available stat-wise, you are forced to play a single dungeon to grind out some armor that is the best stat-wise. The other dungeons become irrelevant.

Why would I waste my time in Arah to get Exotic gear when I can spend that same time and get Ascended gear in Fractal of the Mists (FotM)? Sure, you might say that you’d expend that amount of time to get the skin, and that’s fine, but a lot of people do it because it is a good, fun, healthy, end-game way of getting max armor without having to blow your gold. I do not want to play a single dungeon for the rest of eternity on all of my characters just because Ascended gear makes Exotic gear obsolete.

This sort of progression of gear worries me when it render other end-game content obsolete. Maybe it’ll only be rings and back items now, but it’d be nice if it down the road or whatever, all dungeons reward equal rewards (bar skin, of course).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: steelwolf.9864

steelwolf.9864

Personally I’d like to see all Ascended armor become exotic. Also a note would be only ring and back ascended items are planned for this patch, but more slots are planned to be added later.

Posted by: impoc.1795

impoc.1795

because we don’t know where ascended armor will come from?

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

It sounds like infusions will be a reward for all dungeons…. but we’re not quite sure yet the path to obtaining ascended item and infusions.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

That 5 extra power and precision sure is game changing…..

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Arenanet seem to think so, otherwise they wouldn’t have put it there.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

you do realize, with the currently released information, the extra stats on ascended armor and weapons is going to be used to make up for the lack of runes and sigils, correct? since, as far as we know, ascended items can ONLY be socketed with the new infusions.

if it stays like this, then, there’s no reason to get ascended armor/weapons if you don’t want to do the new dungeon. even then, you can still do most of the dungeon (via blogpost) without any resistance to whatever they’re adding.

so far, i don’t really care about them adding ascended gear. i’ll have to see what the infusions do before i decide if i hate it or don’t care.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

It sounds like infusions will be a reward for all dungeons…. but we’re not quite sure yet the path to obtaining ascended item and infusions.

exactly this. nobody really knows although the OP is quickly to jump on the QQ bandwagon and cry about it. He’s just making stuff up without any proof. Who knows whether you can or cannot get ascended gear from other dungeons.

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

Now add that to an entire armor set, then do about 4 or 5 more releases, because there’s no point in doing such a unique change only once.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The OP does make a good point, actually. With the introduction of Ascended items, the time/money that needs to be invested into dungeon equipment (and heck, Tier 3 Cultural armor too, while we’re at it) either needs to be looked at and reduced to more reasonable levels (perhaps 100 tokens for a weapon, and 500 tokens for a full Exotic armor set), or Dungeon Armor/Weapons and Tier 3 Cultural Armor need to be buffed to Ascended status as well.

Posted by: dvs.4653

dvs.4653

Why when the only point of dungeon gear was looks to begin with?
Sure stats were mixed a bit but that could be balanced out with runes and orbs guess i don’t get it.
Get ascended gear rip stats on to the look u want done?
Kind of how it is now is it not?

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

I find it slightly ironic is that the “farm for looks” crowd with the announcement of a miniscule stat increase on ascended armor now all the sudden turns into the “all gear is obsolete” crowd.

Posted by: Deimos.9285

Deimos.9285

Dungeons were always there for getting the look you wanted, absolutely nothing has changed.

I am Death incarnate.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yes, but back then level 80 Exotic dungeon gear was also the top tier of power. Perhaps the stats didn’t quite suit your build, but for another player, their Arah/CoF/HotW might suit their build PERFECTLY. It wasn’t absolutely necessary to get two sets of armor if you could “live with” the stats of the original Exotic set. The introduction of Ascended tier equipment means this is no longer the case, and one has to grind a set of Ascended armor AND grind a set of dungeon armor if you want to get a specific look while still remaining at the top level of competitiveness.

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

I find it slightly ironic is that the “farm for looks” crowd with the announcement of a miniscule stat increase on ascended armor now all the sudden turns into the “all gear is obsolete” crowd.

I find it ironic how so many people who made a big deal about demanding gear progression and now that they got their wish, are trying to convince those who were against it that it doesn’t matter after all.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

It is not “minuscule”.

Check the upgrade value of stats from a rare ring to an exotic, the rare being in parenthesis.

Power 48 (42)
Precision 48 (42)
Toughness 67 (59)

“It’s just a 6 Power increase, duh”.
Yeah it is. Why is it that people want to get full Exotics then? Rare is way much cheaper and easier to get, no need to blows tons of gold for an Exotic set right?

Even more so after the Ascended gear hits, no one will buy Exotics because it is not “the best” anymore.

ANet will really kitten up if they release it and starts the gear trend mill going…
…but I will wait until they release it, because I have some faith they are joking or if they aren’t, they’ll notice how bad it’d be and fix it.

Posted by: Aly Cat.9415

Aly Cat.9415

i think you forget this

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triforge_Pendant

it have much higher stats than any exotic amulet

Most players focus on specific stats for their builds, such as power/precision. That amulet is for generalists, or people willing to kitten their builds due to Zelda fandom. It’s basically the amulet equivalent of the divinity rune.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Amulet

Plus you aren’t restricted to a specific content type t acquire the mats.

Posted by: TTGP.8517

TTGP.8517

“The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative.”

More to come, frankly, this is gear grind for me. Not having that was 1 of the main selling points for me. I wont complain 2 much, had a lot of fun. But if it turns out like this i definetly wont by any future expansions.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Actually, the increase is going to be (eventually, since it’s going to be 5 accessories, back item, 6 armor plus weapon(s)) as much as 70 each.

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

The main stat actually appears to have almost a 50% increase in stats (3% over 7% magic find). So instead of 300 as a main number (easy number to explain with) you would have something like 430. For EACH item.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

“The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative.”

More to come, frankly, this is gear grind for me. Not having that was 1 of the main selling points for me. I wont complain 2 much, had a lot of fun. But if it turns out like this i definetly wont by any future expansions.

Let’s play a game of math.

WoW: 11 equipment slots.

GW2: 13 equipment slots

Last expansion WoW had three tiers of raiding. For each tier you had 2 sets of gear to grind and then enchant. That’s 6 sets of gear total.

6×11 = 66 pieces of gear across three tiers

Time required to get this gear varied based on droprates.

In GW2 they will be adding enough ascended items to fill 13 slots over an extended period of time. Three slots will be open for ascended gear come the 16th.

Assuming you are not already fully geared with exotics…

13 + 3 = 16 pieces of gear with the new patch. 26 by the time they finish adding the rest of the ascended gear across further patches.

I don’t think you have to worry about much of a gear grind, if any.

Posted by: Irkm Desmet.3928

Irkm Desmet.3928

You guys realize, that the ascended items that get added are rings and backpieces?

Backpieces are currently nearly non existent in game and to get a few that are worthwhile would be nice.

I don’t think they will ever add full ascended armors without slots for runes. This would completely invalidate all the runes out there. Have a little faith.