Dungeons ruin the game for me

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

Legendary weapons require materials from every aspect of the game, from wvw, open world, and dungeons, and that is perfectly understandable and okay.

then ANet introduced Fotm, which is ok as well, and they introduced ascended gear as drops from Fotm, also okay.

what is not okay is making the new gear rarity exclusive to fotm AND making them soulbound on loot too.

true, the latest patch introduces new ascended equipment, but what about back items??, why can’t we get back items by doing something other than grinding fotm?

It’s not just that that bothers me, mystic forge recipes almost always requires farming a specific dungeon, which would be ok if there were recipes that required farming WvW or certain trophies from world bosses and events, but that’s not the case.

i don’t like dungeons primarily because i hate repetitiveness and engaging in an activity that’s supposed to be fun but turns into a chore.

ANet keep talking about how they don’t want players to feel obligated to do a certain activity to get what they want, but they’re doing the exact opposite of that with introducing ascended gear that can only be acquired from certain methods exclusively.

Laurels is a nice twist, you can only get 40 laurels a month (assuming you do monthly achievement and all dailies during that month), i have not tested if the equipment boxes drop any ascended gear, only time will tell, but for now, i’m not liking how ANet translates their design philosophy into the game.

i’m not asking anyone to agree with me, and i’m not asking anyone to hate dungeons for the reasons above, i still think dungeons are a very fun part of the game, and i would DEFINITELY play them more often if doing so was for fun and reward, not for farming and run times.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

While im brand new and dont have a full grasp of the game mechanics yet i do totally agree with everything you said.

Posted by: courin.2314

courin.2314

The gear boxes you can buy for laurels state “a rare or exotic piece” so that’s pretty clear that you won’t get ascended items from them.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

You can get every ascended item except for the backpiece without ever setting foot in fotm. The backpieces can be crafted with only 1 vial of condesed mist essences, which is obtained in fotm 1-9 and is not terribly uncommon.
http://dulfy.net/2012/11/17/gw2-ascended-gear-and-infusion-recipes/
If you’re not going to be doing fotm, the minor difference in stats between an ascended backpack and a rare backpack are negligible.
Dungeons are an extremely profitable endeavour and it is really not that difficult to obtain enough tokens for an entire set of exotic armor within a reasonable ammount of time. Contrary to other methods of getting exotic armor, this will actually make you money instead of costing you money.
Dungeons are also a lot of fun and provide many unique encounters that challenge your playstyle and make you adapt to new situations. To each their own, I guess.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

You can get every ascended item except for the backpiece without ever setting foot in fotm. The backpieces can be crafted with only 1 vial of condesed mist essences, which is obtained in fotm 1-9 and is not terribly uncommon.
http://dulfy.net/2012/11/17/gw2-ascended-gear-and-infusion-recipes/
If you’re not going to be doing fotm, the minor difference in stats between an ascended backpack and a rare backpack are negligible.
Dungeons are an extremely profitable endeavour and it is really not that difficult to obtain enough tokens for an entire set of exotic armor within a reasonable ammount of time. Contrary to other methods of getting exotic armor, this will actually make you money instead of costing you money.
Dungeons are also a lot of fun and provide many unique encounters that challenge your playstyle and make you adapt to new situations. To each their own, I guess.

everything you’ve said is true, and also the reason why i dislike dungeons.
ANet philosophy with GW2 is to make everything you do rewarded, and not limit you to a routine to get something i.e you get what you want by simply playing where and what you like and find fun and engaging.

but they’re contradicting that philosophy by making the game more and more dungeon-centric.

i can understand having unique skins being the motivating factor for doing dungeons (besides the profits), but including dungeons in almost every high tier equipment piece while excluding other aspects such as WvW and open world (events, world bosses) is unacceptable, almost everyone is i talk to does dungeons to get the dungeon tokens for a piece of equipment.

i haven’t heard about badges of honor being included in a mystic forge recipe except for legendary weapons, but almost all other recipes include 500 dungeon tokens or some other amount of tokens from Fotm.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I tried to go in fotm level1 and just solo farm the fractal marsh for vial. the mob don’t seem to drop anything. Does it work any more?

There might be some fractal you can solo farm for a mist. I tried a few of the fractal, don’t work out so well. For example I tried to solo farm water fractal too, mob don’t seem to drop much when I am soloing, I’m not sure why.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d agree with the OP if the content was gated. That is, if you needed that backpack to do anything. But since I can do anything in the game without that backpack, I don’t see an issue here.

Most games that have gear grind gate content. They say you can’t enter this dungeon without having a stat at X or some sort of requirement. Anet doesn’t do that. They have a level requirement on dungeons and that’s it. You can go in with green gear, blue gear, white gear if you wanted.

And since you can do dungeons in green gear, and rare is so cheap, which is even better, I hardly think this is an issue.

I don’t have a single piece of ascended gear, and I can go anywhere and do anything.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I’m confused. I’m almost completely certain that you can get Exotic gear with your desired stat combination without ever having to step in a dungeon.

Look at this table:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_stat_combinations

Only a couple of stat combinations are completely unique, and none of those require any dungeon time.

As for ascended gear, we just got a huge dump of ascended accessories available for non-dungeoneers. There aren’t any ascended armor or weapons, but you’re complaining that we have to farm dungeons to get stuff that aren’t even in the game?

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I agree with OP.

I dont understand why it has become the accepted norm that the best gear has to come from dungeons/raids. Legendaries requiring dungeon tokens doesn’t bother me because they are suppose to be just that ’Legendary’.

But Ascended gear should be obtainable through all methods of play, dungeons, crafting, karma, WvW. I am extremely disappointed to see that I am still forced to do content that I do not wish to do in order to be able to compete on an even plqying field.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

As of now the only ascended gear available are amulets/rings and backpacks. Amulets and rings and infusions can be obtained from Laurels. More will be included in future, as per Anet, hopefully in the big Feb patch.

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Only hardcore players enjoy overly challenging dungeons, which leave alot of people out.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I agree with OP.

I dont understand why it has become the accepted norm that the best gear has to come from dungeons/raids. Legendaries requiring dungeon tokens doesn’t bother me because they are suppose to be just that ‘Legendary’.

But Ascended gear should be obtainable through all methods of play, dungeons, crafting, karma, WvW. I am extremely disappointed to see that I am still forced to do content that I do not wish to do in order to be able to compete on an even plqying field.

Only the back piece requires you to run FOTM. The norm in MMORPGs isn’t that the best gear has to come from dungeons/raids. There’s a slight misconception there. The best gear is normally rewarded for completing the most difficult content. Whether you find dungeons to be the most challenging content in the game isn’t the point.

The laurels have made available ascended gear for getting daily achievements. Over time, you will have more options for obtaining this gear. Arena Net said this was their intention so I don’t really see the problem other than you wanting your ascended back piece right now without having to set foot in FOTM.

Posted by: Space.8053

Space.8053

I’d agree with the OP if the content was gated. That is, if you needed that backpack to do anything. But since I can do anything in the game without that backpack, I don’t see an issue here.

Most games that have gear grind gate content. They say you can’t enter this dungeon without having a stat at X or some sort of requirement. Anet doesn’t do that. They have a level requirement on dungeons and that’s it. You can go in with green gear, blue gear, white gear if you wanted.

And since you can do dungeons in green gear, and rare is so cheap, which is even better, I hardly think this is an issue.

I don’t have a single piece of ascended gear, and I can go anywhere and do anything.

Have fun trying to PuG a dungeon from now on!

Fat Rob
[TCHU]
Gandara

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

1. Ascended Gear is meant to be practice for working on your Legendary.
ANet does not want them being traded around, that’s not the intent of the item tier.

2. Ascended Gear is now available from Laurel vendors, and will be made available in order areas of the game later in the year.

It was always ANet’s intention to make Ascended items available throughout the game. But in the Lost Shores patch, the out-of-dungeon sources were stalled, and they could only release the dungeon.

In short: —-- happened.

Sit back, chill out, and let things unfold instead of acting as in they’re set in stone.

It’s all good.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~