Dye Collector Achievement

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kristen.6475

Kristen.6475

I would like to suggest an achievement for collecting 403 unique dyes.

Reward:
-The title “Mass Spectrometer”
-10 Achievement Points
-1 Celebratory Dye Pack

Why 403 unique dyes? Because 403 dyes is the maximum # of dyes you can obtain in game excluding the exclusive gemstore dyes (includes the 21 starter dyes).

I feel that dyes in GW2 are a major part of the GW2 experience and that there should be an additional reward for choosing to collect them.

Posted by: Torzini.1523

Torzini.1523

I’m not much into dyes myself, but I support this for the sake of adding more of a gold sink (another incentive to collect dyes), and I think it’d be a nice little addition.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Yeah! Why not?

We have an achievement for collecting a number of different wardrobe pieces, it makes sense to include something for dyes too.

The achievement could even be broken down a bit- for example, different collection achievements for the different dye rarities.

I think it would also be neat to implement collection achievements for the exclusive dye packs, much like how there are achievements for BL ticket weapons. So, for example, have separate achievements for “Winter Chimes”, “Toxic”, “Golden Lion” etc.

My only concern for your suggestion is the reward for 1 Celebratory Dye Pack. We recently saw a thread where a small group of people were complaining about this being available in the 3rd birthday gift and that they had no use for it as they had already collected all of the dyes that can be chosen from it. (The dyes from the pack are also account-bound, meaning you can’t profit from them other than salvaging for pigment.)

No doubt that these few people also have collected all 403 non-exclusive dyes, so if this was implemented they wouldn’t be receiving a particularly useful reward.

Personally I think a Celebratory Dye Pack is useful, but maybe it’s not quite the right reward for somebody who has collected all/most of the dyes?

My immediate thought of an alternate reward would be some sort of backpack that was either inspired by colour, or perhaps displayed lots of bottles of dye… but I’ll keep thinking of an alternate reward that doesn’t require hours of designing and modelling

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I just checked. I qualify for this achievement therefore I’m in favor of it. ^^

According to gw2efficiency
You have 445 of 500 (89.0%) dyes matching the filter.
Your collection is worth 3,474g91s, and you would need 4,733g00s to complete it.

I don’t much care for the title though. How about this title instead: “To dye for”

The dye pack, it might be a problem since some people with that many dyes could have all the exclusive ones. Maybe a brand new dye that’s for that achievement only instead. No other way to get it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

+1 to that and another +1 to an exclusive dye when you get the title.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I don’t much care for the title though. How about this title instead: “To dye for”

“Only the Good Dye Young” ?

Edit: “A Hero Dyes a Thousand Times?”

Edit Edit: “Lazarus the Dyer”?

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

(edited by Redenaz.8631)

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Here’s one from season one:

“Dye, dye, dye!”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or how about

“Live and let dye”

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

“I would dye for you” Includes a special purple dye.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What about when they add new dyes? Why choose this number of dyes? The number of dyes has been steadily increasing since launch. Would it just be 403 of any dyes, or a specific 403 dyes?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

What about when they add new dyes? Why choose this number of dyes? The number of dyes has been steadily increasing since launch. Would it just be 403 of any dyes, or a specific 403 dyes?

Why 403 unique dyes? Because 403 dyes is the maximum # of dyes you can obtain in game excluding the exclusive gemstore dyes (includes the 21 starter dyes).

It’s pretty well-thought out. You can collect all of the core dyes in the game, and the Black Lion dyes are treated as extra credit. That way people can complete the collection without breaking the bank, or worrying that the collection will expand on them over time.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m against it. It would drive up the price of dyes, benefiting speculators and hoarders and those completionists who already have them unlocked. It would hurt newer players and those who just want one more color.

I like dyes being available for those who like coloring within the lines and that they are, for the most part, cheap.

full disclosure: this change would be a huge benefit to me, financially and in AP

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m against it. It would drive up the price of dyes, benefiting speculators and hoarders and those completionists who already have them unlocked. It would hurt newer players and those who just want one more color.

I like dyes being available for those who like coloring within the lines and that they are, for the most part, cheap.

If ANet cared that much about the price of dyes, we’d still be getting them from harvesting plants and they wouldn’t be getting destroyed by salvaging for pigments.

If they do get too low in supply or if prices get too high they can always increase the drop rate from BLC or people can start crafting them from cooking.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, see? I’m clueless when it comes to dyes. I thought that was the current count.

Carry on.

(Guess I would almost have the achievement, then….it would be nice if they separated out the Gem Store/special dyes in the ‘Sets’ option.)